The Dark Knight Rises (now with spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElJuski

Staff member
I was happy that Catwoman was tastefully done (a few bike-butt-shots aside). Hathaway stole the show.

I literally said "Goddamnit" outloud when I was too dumb to realize
who was Talia.
Like, come on.

I was happy that Catwoman was tastefully done (a few bike-butt-shots aside). Hathaway stole the show.

I literally said "Goddamnit" outloud when I was too dumb to realize
who was Talia.
Like, come on.
Me too. I almost slapped myself for not getting that. DUMB ME. I love that he included her in the mythology.

If she was a guy they would totally have had her bulk up for the role...

Right now she's at this Christian Bale stage:

And they made Bane look a lot bigger then in those stills from the set, which made wispy Catwoman stand out more (like RDJ being the perfect physical embodiment of Stark made Don Cheadle look off as Rhodey)...

Plus, i was in no way saying she's not pretty... she's like totally an 8. :problemo:

I still can't believe Bane was played by the Romulan Picard Clone from Nemesis.

Man, that actor is versitile. Watch Bronson once and you'll see how varied his performances are.

-Bane's Sean Connery voice.....man, it's like they wanted someone with a goofier voice than Christian Bale's grumbatmanvoice.

And yet they failed... (his first few dialogues where almost as bad as the grumbatmanvoice, but then it got slightly better)

I still can't believe Bane was played by the Romulan Picard Clone from Nemesis.

Man, that actor is versitile. Watch Bronson once and you'll see how varied his performances are.
Yeah, his bulking up for Bronson, Warrior and now this has been pretty extreme (and judging by the visible bacne in Warrior and Dark Knight Rises, quite....hmm.....aided by supplements I'll say).

I don't mean just physically. That dude knows how to completely shift his personality to fit the role. I'd have to say he's one of the most versatile actors I've seen in a long time.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Because Florence is awesome.

Ever been?
Only to Milan.

I just find it silly how in a lot of films Florence or Tuscany are represented as places little short of Paradise on Earth for world-weary Americans, where they can spend all day long coming into cozy cafes with fancy waiters and drink diminutive glasses of wine all day long.

Seriously, that's what happens in those films. You go to Florence, go to a café, get a tiny drink. Nothing else.

Only to Milan.

I just find it silly how in a lot of films Florence or Tuscany are represented as places little short of Paradise on Earth for world-weary Americans, where they can spend all day long coming into cozy cafes with fancy waiters and drink diminutive glasses of wine all day long.

Seriously, that's what happens in those films. You go to Florence, go to a café, get a tiny drink. Nothing else.
It's because they have to appeal to the average idiot, and the average idiot knows only few locations outside the US.

Saw the movie, really liked it. Not much I can say, but I did find something funny.

-Bane's Sean Connery voice.....man, it's like they wanted someone with a goofier voice than Christian Bale's grumbatmanvoice.

This makes me laugh so much... because...

As soon as the movie started, when Bane starts talking under the black hood, my wife turned to me and whispered "You didn't tell me Sean Connery was in this movie..." I turned back and was like "He's not...." and then they took the hood off. I wanted to laugh so hard because after that I couldn't stop hearing Sean Connery.

Yeah, not caring for Peter Weller sleepwalking his way through this. What a shame. It looks fantastic though.

Like Bale's bman voice or not it at least had energy to it rather than sounding like he had a bad case of sinus allergies and just wanted to go back to sleep.
I actually did like his voice, I was joking :p But Robocop as Batman....Well, have we had Cyborg Bat yet? :p

K

kaykordeath

OK, so a week (or so) behind, as my friend insisted I wait to see it with him, and I insisted we see it in IMAX...

A very good movie, but not without it's flaws.

The thing that stood out to us the most was how fast time progresses in Gotham City. Like day to night coming WAY too soon. The program started at the stock exchange needed 9 minutes. When they left the exchange and started the motorcycle chase, it was mid-day. Bright, sunny. When it's next shown as completing (45 seconds to go) after the chase in the blacking-out tunnel, and the cops are coming after Batman, it's midnight dark! Similarly to the final countdown on the bomb. It seemed to go from late night to sunrise to late morning all within an hour (or 2). Certainly from Gordon's flare (loved the "light it up") in dark to the sunrise (which thematically was necessary for the armies marching on each other) without nearly enough time coming off the bomb clock.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, I forgot to post that I saw it last weekend, and agree with the general consensus. Good flick, not as good as the 2nd one.

I really liked the movie. I just wished the theater here would quit blowing their speakers. It was hard to understand most of the voices, then Bane's mask did not help much.

Selina's partner in crime/prostitute friend, looks like she was lifted straight from Year One.

Anne did a better job with the character than I expected.

The high-heel arm pin was - WOW :awesome:

I screwed up by reading Rotten Tomatoes. Since they listed Talia as one of the characters. So I was disappointed by the plot twist of the knife. What did surprise me was that Nolan killed her off, since she is carrying Bruce's child. I was not too surprised about Talia making the climb. Since I knew she was in the film from the start, and who her dad was.

The whole Bane gives a speech, then the good people of Gotham go apeshit and start sacking the whole city seemed like a bit of a stretch.

I wish Blake turned out to be Dick Grayson or Tim Drake... instead of just being named Robin. Or just make that the password to pick up those supplies.

The whole Bane gives a speech, then the good people of Gotham go apeshit and start sacking the whole city seemed like a bit of a stretch.
I got the impression that it wasn't so much the good people are the "pissed people". What I understood from before that is that while Gotham no longer really had organized crime, it kind of foundered under its own weight as the rich got richer and the poor got poorer, and so when Bane gave his little speech and blew a hole in the prison, a lot of the more desperate have-nots went ape-shit. Don't forget, in DC land, Gotham has 30M people in it (TDK even mentioned it, I think), so a few hundred poor people who are just pissed off enough to be violent isn't really that improbable

Status
Not open for further replies.