The Dark Knight Rises (now with spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest to God question (I'm not familiar with DC minutia), are there the real American cities like New York and such in DC? They seem to have a lot of extra nonexistent cities.

Honest to God question (I'm not familiar with DC minutia), are there the real American cities like New York and such in DC? They seem to have a lot of extra nonexistent cities.
Yes the real cities are there, as plot devices. But I don't believe that outside the U.N. and the Capitol that those cities are ever used for hero activity.

Green Arrow's non-fictional home city for a long time was Seattle.

Isn't the DC US just bigger than the real one, so all the real cities exist as well as the fake ones?
According to the questionably-canonical-even-pre-Flashpoint mini-series "JLA/Avengers", the DC Earth is a few miles larger than the Marvel (and, therefore, the real) Earth. This lets them have all their extra major cities and extra countries. As I said though, that might not actually be canon.

Uh, it was confirmed today that he will not be directing the movie. He may have turned it down because, well, he's directed two moody crime thrillers. Big super-hero action is not exactly the logical next step.

Unless, of course, he was to direct a Martian Manhunter movie that's like a film noir, focusing on J'onn's detective role as John Jones.

Good, not great.

Something that really bugged me:

Why did Nolan have it so 8 years had passed? That means that in this continuity, Bruce Wayne was only Batman for the year between the first two movies. That's silly.

The passage of time and the fact that he wasn't Batman for all that time made it seem like the movie had a hard time getting started when it was the end of the trilogy.

Also, the whole cutting off the city/state of anarchy thing... didn't we just do that in the previous movie?

I get the sense that had Ledger not died, we would've gotten a very different third film.

Good, not great.

Something that really bugged me:

Why did Nolan have it so 8 years had passed? That means that in this continuity, Bruce Wayne was only Batman for the year between the first two movies. That's silly.

The passage of time and the fact that he wasn't Batman for all that time made it seem like the movie had a hard time getting started when it was the end of the trilogy.

Also, the whole cutting off the city/state of anarchy thing... didn't we just do that in the previous movie?

I get the sense that had Ledger not died, we would've gotten a very different third film.

Yeah, I'd heard that there would be some passage of time since the last movie, but I assumed it was with him as Batman the whole time. Seems a little silly, as you say, if he was only Batman for a year or so.

As far as the cutting off the city and such, I think it's different. I don't think Joker ever had bombs for the bridges or tunnel. I think that was just him saying, "Well, look at all I've already done. Are you going to just not believe me now?" This is different because Bane just went and blew them up, anyway. Why he didn't just set off the bomb after that, I don't know.

Yeah, I'd heard that there would be some passage of time since the last movie, but I assumed it was with him as Batman the whole time. Seems a little silly, as you say, if he was only Batman for a year or so.

As far as the cutting off the city and such, I think it's different. I don't think Joker ever had bombs for the bridges or tunnel. I think that was just him saying, "Well, look at all I've already done. Are you going to just not believe me now?" This is different because Bane just went and blew them up, anyway. Why he didn't just set off the bomb after that, I don't know.
That's what the whole speech about hope was for. He wanted to give them false hope before ending the city. Five months of hope is a long time, though...

Now that I've had a night to get over griping, here are some things I liked:

Though the Talia twist ruined Bane for the movie, it was a great moment.

Blake was a great character.

Anne Hathaway did a fantastic job as Selina Kyle.

I teared up when Alfred was at the Wayne headstones.

Batcycle and "the bat" both operated fluidly and were fun to watch. I think Selina did better with the bike than Batman.

That was post-Infinite Crisis, yes?

Yeah...we don't speak of that.
Tomasi's post-IC run was good, and the best Nightwing had been since Chuck Dixon left the book. Just saying.

Finally saw the movie last night...meh? Lots of really little stupid things that just dragged down a lot of the movie.

• Casting was great.
  • Fight Scenes were better. Mainly because Nolan didn't feel as much need to put the camera in a paint mixer three inches away from his actors.
  • Wayne Enterprises builds a nuclear reactor (I'm sorry nuclear fusion reactor :eyeroll:) and The US Government is completely unaware?
  • Batman Begins still has the best depiction of Gotham City. Glad to see it was a huge sprawling city again and not just Chicago, but...
  • If you're going to use a New York City to film some of your grand scene setting shots, you think it might be a good idea to cut out the Chrysler building.
  • Bruce is poor due to Bane's stock market escapades. Because the story demands it!
  • Speaking of stupid plot elements have I had Lucius Fox show you my MacGuffin reactor?
  • Stock problems costing your wealth? Well that means we have to take your car the very next day, and shut off your electric immediately, you're broke now after all.
  • "Rich people don't even go broke the same as us," No Selena they don't. They are instantly behind on any payments they have, and lose any tangible assets they own. Until the end of the movie when it's important to show that the character is "dead."
  • I mentioned how Comic Bane is the super genius because he read Detective Comics every month. Movie Bane does not. They do however apparently show screenings of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in the pit. Yes, yes, Talia gave him the information, even the information Ra's never knew, and was only shared between Lucius and Bruce.

One more positive.

Now that is how you setup No Mans Land. An actual reason the rest of the country stays out of Gotham beyond "fuck it, it will cost a lot of money and it was a hell hole anyway!" Stupid Earthquake.

Ok, those are hilarious.

Are those the people who used to do the bunny theater stuff?
No, I don't think so. They do their own thing. If you go here, you can see all their videos. They've done quite a few, and they are consistently funny. I especially enjoyed the ones for Iron Man and Predator.

Status
Not open for further replies.