Export thread

The Dark Knight Rises (now with spoilers)

Jay

Jay

Tom Brady as Bane and Anne Hathaway as The Catwoman.....

Will this movie be better than The Dark Knight?

Official discussion on the movie... for the many months to come.

http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/image.html

Watch BANE!

Gusto

Gusto

Tom Brady as Bane

Espy

Espy

lol

Dave

Dave

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, huh? I thought Halle Barry would be a good one and look how that turned out.

Jay

Jay

Ooops!

Gusto

Gusto

I like Anny Hath and I think it's an interesting cast. :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And I thought Michelle Pfeiffer would have been a terrible choice for Catwoman, and I was wrong.

Null

Null

I'm not going to pre-judge any of it.

R

Raemon777

Once you cast Heath Ledger as the Joker and have it turn out the way it did, I think you get to cast whoever the hell you want.

Jay

Jay

Once you cast Heath Ledger as the Joker and have it turn out the way it did, I think you get to cast whoever the hell you want.
Count me in on this.

When Ledger was cast I was like WTF, REALLY?

Big mistake

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And starring Pittsburgh as Gotham City.

Yinz gotta like it. It's from here n'at. :D

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I hope this movie doesn't fall apart in the 3rd act or have a really terrible metaphor about homeland security.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The film is slated to arrive in theaters nationwide July 20, 2012.
They start shooting this summer and the next summer is their release date? Seems like a quick turnaround to me, but they'll likely have it in the can by January.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Most shoots are roughly 3-6 months

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But there's also post.

Covar

Covar

And starring Pittsburgh as Gotham City.

Yinz gotta like it. It's from here n'at. :D
As long as it's more like Gotham and less like Pittsburgh. Biggest problem with the Dark Knight was it felt like Batman in Chicago, as opposed to Batman Begins, which actually felt like Gotham.

Kovac

Kovac

Anne Hathaway has a creepy face but I expect that we should get a good movie despite that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

haha, what? she is gorgeous

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

haha, what? she is gorgeous
Agreed. She's beautiful.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Agreed.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I agree that she is good looking, but, she seems to have weird bags under her eyes for such a young woman.
Added at: 17:21
But I'll counter myself with this...

Jay

Jay

She's got an anime face. Big eyes, big mouth.

Looks great now, scared at what may happen in the 40ies.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I don't know, I don't think she looks "mischievous" enough for Catwoman, if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's a great actress, so it's probably totally fine, but I have a tough time feeling the vibe.

Jay

Jay

Don't get me wrong, I think she's a great actress, so it's probably totally fine, but I have a tough time feeling the vibe.

Miaooooo

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yeah, no. I got the same vibe watching that film that I did watching Sucker Punch (not remotely as much as for SP, but same kind), and that's saying something when you start with a (then) 23 year-old who looks like Anne Hathaway.

Kovac

Kovac

I agree that she is good looking, but, she seems to have weird bags under her eyes for such a young woman.
Added at: 17:21
But I'll counter myself with this...

If this was the only picture I had seen of her I would agree with you.

Philosopher B.

Woah, sweet pic! I'm gettin' the urge to bust out my Audrey Hepburn movies, SHEEIT.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

She's got an anime face. Big eyes, big mouth.

Looks great now, scared at what may happen in the 40ies.
She'll likely be smoking hot like Julia Roberts.

@Li3n

@Li3n

She'll likely be smoking hot like Julia Roberts.
I never saw why ppl said Julia Roberts is hot... she has a nice smile and that's about it imo.

Adam

Adammon

Anne Hathaway is all eyes and mouth which ordinarily I'd say appeals to anime dorks and pedophiles. However, there have been movies where either they used makeup (or just a lack of makeup in general) to draw attention away from her eyes and she did look smokin'. IE Jay's picture above.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

In summary:

YES!

Burn it with fire!

General Specific

General Specific

Official Teaser Trailer is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMXFloDH6M

Stupid disabled embedding

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The football stadium set to appear in the movie is Heinz Field. Shooting date is August 6th.

Terrik

Terrik

I'm afraid the bar has been set so high by TDK that I almost can't help but walk away disappointed.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I know a lynch mob is waiting to kill more for saying this, but... I thought the Scarecrow was a better villain than the Joker.

Don't get me wrong. I fucking loved both films, and the Dark Knight was an astonishingly good movie. But the Scarecrow literally sets Batman on fire and throws him out a window and it is fantastic.

That admission made, I cannot wait for this. I am so damn excited.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You're really putting "Batman on fire out a window" Scarecrow over "Boat Scene" Joker?

I have to hear the explanation behind that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Scarecrow was also shit at magic tricks

@Li3n

@Li3n

You're really putting "Batman on fire out a window" Scarecrow over "Boat Scene" Joker?

Pyrophoria?!

And i though TDK was a so-so film (about the same as Begins really) with a great performance by the villain (while Begins kinda watered down Ra's)...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I don't know. Part of it might just be Cillian Murphy bias. I like that guy a lot. The rest of it, well, I think the fight between Batman and the Joker is great, where he fights off the dogs and then pins the Joker as he is about to detonate the boats... But something about the scene where Batman is gassed, ignited and shoved out a window by some random crazy doctor just impresses me. I guess it's partly expectation. My limited Batman knowledge 'expects' the Joker to gain the upper hand on Batman often: he's his ultimate foil, whereas I never really knew much about the Scarecrow so when he got the edge on Batman, it was neat, and unexpected. (As an aside, I also love the scene where Crane is dosed with his own fear drug and all he can manage to say is "Dr Crane is unavailable at the moment, but if you'd like to leave a message...")

Don't get me wrong, it's hard for me to say Begins edges out the Dark Knight. In fact, I may not actually go that far: I was totally engrossed by the Dark Knight's story. Plus, Two-Face, in addition to Ledger's amazing performance, Eckhart had a great turn. And there's that scene where the Joker's stumbling down the road with the machine gun... I do love that. Mm. Maybe I'll rewatch those movies today.

But yes. I would have to go "fire out a window" over "Boat scene". I'm sorry :p

Scarecrow was also shit at magic tricks
There is no denying that.

Gryfter

Gryfter

It's a tease. But to be fair, they could've shown us nothing and I would still be seeing this. Nolan has proven he respects the source material and has done a bang up job so far so I am in.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

It's a tease. But to be fair, they could've shown us nothing and I would still be seeing this. Nolan has proven he respects the source material and has done a bang up job so far so I am in.
If they announced Richard Simmons as the Joker, I'd still show up. ...Although on second thought it would, at that point, be less about loyalty to Nolan and way more about seeing that clusterfuck.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hell, TDK's teaser really did show nothing; it was just dialogue over the shattering Batman symbol, broken at the end by the Joker card. There wasn't a shot from the movie. People watched it over and over, because it was fucking awesome.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ok, who's that in the hospital bed?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Ok, who's that in the hospital bed?
Gordon

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ah, ok, I couldn't tell from the angle.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't know. Part of it might just be Cillian Murphy bias. I like that guy a lot. The rest of it, well, I think the fight between Batman and the Joker is great, where he fights off the dogs and then pins the Joker as he is about to detonate the boats... But something about the scene where Batman is gassed, ignited and shoved out a window by some random crazy doctor just impresses me. I guess it's partly expectation. My limited Batman knowledge 'expects' the Joker to gain the upper hand on Batman often: he's his ultimate foil, whereas I never really knew much about the Scarecrow so when he got the edge on Batman, it was neat, and unexpected. (As an aside, I also love the scene where Crane is dosed with his own fear drug and all he can manage to say is "Dr Crane is unavailable at the moment, but if you'd like to leave a message...")

Don't get me wrong, it's hard for me to say Begins edges out the Dark Knight. In fact, I may not actually go that far: I was totally engrossed by the Dark Knight's story. Plus, Two-Face, in addition to Ledger's amazing performance, Eckhart had a great turn. And there's that scene where the Joker's stumbling down the road with the machine gun... I do love that. Mm. Maybe I'll rewatch those movies today.

But yes. I would have to go "fire out a window" over "Boat scene". I'm sorry :p

There is no denying that.
There isn't a Batman villain (or any villain in comic book history) who hasn't gotten one over on the main character at some point. Even the Penguin has kicked around bats from time to time. If it there's no illusion that the villain can actually beat the hero, there's no dramatic tension, and a very boring movie/comic. That's why Superman is such a boring super hero and they had to add kryptonite and his weakness to magic.

@Li3n

@Li3n

they had to add kryptonite
No, they added kryptonite because the voice actor was on holiday, and they had to explain why the voice changed...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

There isn't a Batman villain (or any villain in comic book history) who hasn't gotten one over on the main character at some point. Even the Penguin has kicked around bats from time to time. If it there's no illusion that the villain can actually beat the hero, there's no dramatic tension, and a very boring movie/comic. That's why Superman is such a boring super hero and they had to add kryptonite and his weakness to magic.
Well, yes, but what I'm saying is that they executed this concept very well in Begins. Batman seems tough, intimidating, intelligent and then this skinny doctor gets the upper-hand. Obviously the tension has to be derived from the hero facing a real challenge, I just mean that I was impressed by that particular method. I even acknowledged a lot of it is my own previous bias: I accept the Joker as Batman's arch-nemesis, whereas I knew relatively little about the Scarecrow, so I had fewer expectations of what kind of a threat he was.

Bowielee

Bowielee

No, they added kryptonite because the voice actor was on holiday, and they had to explain why the voice changed...
I've got to assume you're being sarcastic or something... kryptonite has been in the comics since before any movie or animated incarnation of Superman.

Covar

Covar

I've got to assume you're being sarcastic or something... kryptonite has been in the comics since before any movie or animated incarnation of Superman.
Kryptonite is a product of the radio show, both it and his flying were created there before they ever appeared in the funny book.

[edit] wanted to confirm before posting this, but Perry White and Jimmy Olsen also got their start on the airwaves.

@Li3n

@Li3n

kryptonite has been in the comics since before any movie or animated incarnation of Superman.
JUST.AS.PLANNED!!!!

Kryptonite is a product of the radio show, both it and his flying were created there before they ever appeared in the funny book.
Wasn't the flying from the cartoons (and Cpt. Marvel did it first in his serials)...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

1943 Max Fleischer Cartoon

1949 Kryptonite makes first comic book appearance.

HISTORIED!

Edit - I ran my mouth off before reading the rest of the replies. Already been dealt with above.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Edit - I ran my mouth off before reading the rest of the replies. Already been dealt with above.
You're fine, i didn't know the cartoons used kryptonite before the comic (the radio show was still first though)...

EDIT: or where you saying the cartoons where around before kryptonite showed up in the comics?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

No, that was wrong entirely. I thought he said that there was Kryptonite in comics before there cartoons or movie adaptations of any kind, not just of kryptonite. There was no kryptonite that I know of in the Fleischer cartoons.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Nah, that's fine too, he was wrong about there being kryptonite before cartoons too.

Anyhow, here's a link about the radio show and what it invented: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/07/21/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-8/

Covar

Covar

JUST.AS.PLANNED!!!!

Wasn't the flying from the cartoons (and Cpt. Marvel did it first in his serials)...
The flying is a bit more tricky to track down. Captain Marvel was the first to fly in the comics (and in general I believe), this was proven in court. The origin of superman flying is a bit nebulous as to which medium had it first. I story I first heard was the radio show, in which "flying through the air" became part of the narration when describing his super-leaps, which led to him just flying to the location. Mark Waid would certainly be able to tell us.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Mark Waid would certainly be able to tell us.
We'll your close to his location...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The flying is a bit more tricky to track down. Captain Marvel was the first to fly in the comics (and in general I believe), this was proven in court. The origin of superman flying is a bit nebulous as to which medium had it first. I story I first heard was the radio show, in which "flying through the air" became part of the narration when describing his super-leaps, which led to him just flying to the location. Mark Waid would certainly be able to tell us.
Could Captain Marvel always fly? Namor debuted the same year in comics and could fly.

Again, my own research right now (WIKIPEEEEDIAAAA) shows me that Namor may have been introduced (sort of) in 39, he wasn't really doing much until he became an invader in 41.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Actually in his 1st appearance Namor kinda uses his ankle wings to jump up to an aeroplane, and it's hard to tell if he was supposed to fly or not...

And aren't the Invaders a Silver or Bronze age retcon? EDIT: Yup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invaders_(comics)

Namor fighting Human Torch was an important event in comic history as i recall.
Added at: 21:47
1943 Max Fleischer Cartoon
Heh, you where off by 2 years, it's 1941: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1940s_cartoons)#List_of_films

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, they weren't called the Invaders in the 40's, but they existed and Human Torch and Namor fought the nazis in some of that eras comics.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Sorry, but even that very short lived team wasn't around in 1941, as their 1st appearance was in '46: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Winners_Squad

Frank

Frankie Williamson

My dates may be mixed up (read:wrong as hell). IT DON'T STOP NAMOR FROM BEING THE FIRST FLYING SUPER HERO!

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/22/comic-book-legends-revealed-270/

@Li3n

@Li3n

Oh right, the 2nd issue actually mentions flying... nice.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I stand completely corrected.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And always remember, never question the majority again...

Steve

Steve

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-set-photos-batman-bane_n_914700.html#s319446

On the set pics of Batman and Bane for those who are interested.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

As a non-comic book person (never read any of them) Bane looks pretty good to me - I like the look better than the one in Batman & Robin.

I'm more interested to see what they do with the costuming for Anne as Catwoman - hoping it's not as ridiculous as Halle Berry's "catsuit" - please be something else.

Tress

Tress

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-set-photos-batman-bane_n_914700.html#s319446

On the set pics of Batman and Bane for those who are interested.
The attached article comments on how Bane should be ridiculously huge, and theorizes that they are going to use CGI after initial filming to make him monstrous. Has the author even seen the first two Nolan films? Does it really seem like, after working to make sure the first two movies stayed grounded and were somewhat realistic, that Nolan is just going to go apeshit in the third film and make a version of The Hulk?

Espy

Espy

Yeah, I have a feeling Bane is going to be a wee bit more grounded than in the comics.

Thank God.

Covar

Covar

I like that they made the venom tubing more internal and built into the mask, rather than the obvious "pull this to defeat enemy" flailing tubing that it tends to be in the books.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I've been so disinterested in this, that I barely realized it WASN'T Tom Brady.

I'll be more into this when Hathaway in her Cat-Suit (which I hope is current incarnation) pics are released.

Tress

Tress

We have only a few crappy pics from early filming, but I'm already certain that...

>

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, the first movie was heavily inspired by Batman: Year One, The second pretty was heavily inspired by The Killing Joke, so it looks like we're going to see Knight Fall played out. I'm fine with that, as long as there's no Azrael... god I hated that character.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

We've got our first image now of Catwoman.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I thought you said Catwoman, not Hathaway in a mask :(

Covar

Covar

I wish I was that bike.

Espy

Espy

Sweet.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

She looks like a Spy Kid.

Adam

Adammon

Underwhelming - to say the least.

Overflight

...yeah, not feeling it.

...also, why are all current rebooted superheroes (Spider-Man, Superman now Catwoman) wearing suits made out of cut open basketballs? Was there some sort of horrible accident at the Spalding factory?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I get the feeling that's not the final pic of Catwoman. It's probably like a prototype, pre-Catwoman suit, like Batman Begins.
Added at: 11:52
...yeah, not feeling it.

...also, why are all current rebooted superheroes (Spider-Man, Superman now Catwoman) wearing suits made out of cut open basketballs? Was there some sort of horrible accident at the Spalding factory?
It's better than just straight up spandex. That shit never looks good live-action.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I get the feeling that's not the final pic of Catwoman. It's probably like a prototype, pre-Catwoman suit, like Batman Begins.
Added at: 11:52

It's better than just straight up spandex. That shit never looks good live-action.
It can, but a headband and a time machine are required...

Jay

Jay

We've got our first image now of Catwoman.

Espy

Espy

Not to mention half of her is hidden by the batpod. Honestly from what little I can see of it it looks an awefull lot like the comic costume, which is just a black jumpsuit. The only thing it's missing is her traditional "cat" headwear and it should be unzipped enough for her boobs to pop out if we want it to be more comic-ish.

Either way, I'm not going to disown Nolan from one picture.

Adam

Adammon

More pics:

Slightly more agreeable. Or at least my pants agree with the first picture.

Jay

Jay

She does need to spend a few days in the sun a get a little bit of a tan.

Covar

Covar

If it's supposed to be a wintertime movie she's fine.

figmentPez

figmentPez

My first thought on seeing the costume was that there's going to be even more girls walking around conventions wearing leather jumpsuits, and I'm going to have such a hard time figuring out if they're playing Black Widow or Catwoman.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I was underwhelmed with the Joker's first images and thoroughly impressed when I finally saw the movie. So... I'm not really paying attention this time around. Nolan's got my money, guaranteed.

Jay

Jay

I was underwhelmed with the Joker's first images and thoroughly impressed when I finally saw the movie. So... I'm not really paying attention this time around. Nolan's got my money, guaranteed.
Pretty much this.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Shooting is going on in Pittsburgh this week, but yeah, it's set in winter.

TV news footage of Batman in the suit just looks... off. The cowl is covering way too much of his face.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It must be super comfortable filming in winter clothes in the middle of summer. Ugh.

Tress

Tress

It must be super comfortable filming in winter clothes in the middle of summer. Ugh.
I was thinking this for the Bane pics. It looks like Hardy is wearing a thick jacket... in Pittsburgh heat... blech. That can't be fun.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe they line the back with freezer packs.

Espy

Espy

Bale must be suffocating in that suit. Yikes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was thinking the same. That's gotta suck. Especially in a city.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I would ruin that chick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I would ruin that chick
So would a big semi-truck if it ever hit her riding that bike.
Added at: 21:28
My first thought on seeing the costume was that there's going to be even more girls walking around conventions wearing leather jumpsuits, and I'm going to have such a hard time figuring out if they're playing Black Widow or Catwoman.
Easy: Catwoman will be the one with the cat ears (I still say this ain't the final shot). Black Widow will be the one with the gold bracelets/guns.

Espy

Espy

Easy: Catwoman will be the one with the cat ears (I still say this ain't the final shot).
I wouldn't get your hopes up. This looks like how Nolan might interpret Selina Kyle (so far in no way has his production referred to her as Catwoman as far as I know).

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My first thought on seeing the costume was that there's going to be even more girls walking around conventions wearing leather jumpsuits, and I'm going to have such a hard time figuring out if they're playing Black Widow Cat or Catwoman.
Is that what you meant?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is that what you meant?
Nope. I was talking more about lazy cosplay than anything I'd put into the thread. The movie version of Black Widow didn't have the gold belt/bracelets that the comic version does.

Norris

Norris

Nope. I was talking more about lazy cosplay than anything I'd put into the thread. The movie version of Black Widow didn't have the gold belt/bracelets that the comic version does.
The Avengers version of the costume will have more distinguishing features (not the gold bracelets, but something similar, and a belt with the red hourglass symbol on it) which should make telling the two apart easier.

God, I salivate just thinking about next year's slate of comic book flicks.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. This looks like how Nolan might interpret Selina Kyle (so far in no way has his production referred to her as Catwoman as far as I know).
Am I alone in being shockingly OK with that? I mean, beyond the shape of her cowl and owning a bunch of cats, her gimmick has been more "classy thief and sometime vigilante" than anything else for at least a decade.
Is anyone else getting the vibe that she'll basically be Batman's partner in this movie?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

She's not a bad guy--I don't see why she couldn't help him later, give him a new love interest.

Keep in mind, all, Bane isn't the only other villain. I forgot if it's Calendar Man or Holiday who's present as a non-costume villain, and then there's the mob, as always. And the police are after Batman as well.

Damn, I'm looking forward to this.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They've said in a recent press release that she totally stole the bike. :D

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

She's not a bad guy--I don't see why she couldn't help him later, give him a new love interest.

Keep in mind, all, Bane isn't the only other villain. I forgot if it's Calendar Man or Holiday who's present as a non-costume villain, and then there's the mob, as always. And the police are after Batman as well.

Damn, I'm looking forward to this.
I'm really hoping Scarecrow pops up again too. I loved his brief bit in the Dark Knight. It reminded me of how Shocker always turned up in Ultimate Spider-Man, just to be taken out with one punch and then the story moves on without ever talking about it.
Added at: 19:37
I had to look it up (I didn't really spend a lot of time checking out her wrists when I was watching the movie), but she totally had the wrist things. No belt though.

But anyway, I get more confused over whether they're dressing as Black Cat or Catwoman, some versions of one look awfully similar to the other.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Not gonna lie, I wish we could get a real life Adam Hughes Catwoman. Adam Hughes knows how to draw them wimmens.

This is his Catwoman BEFORE he takes it into photoshop to colour it. Fuck.

fade

fade

She's bending over like that because of the huge lead weights someone tucked in her shirt.

Also, that Bane picture looks absolutely stupid. I actually prefer the Batman and Robin one.

I still feel like I'm the only man alive who didn't care for the DK's Joker as, well, the Joker. I loved the movie, Ledger was great, the character was great for what it was, but it just didn't feel like the Joker. Also, for all the world's greatest detective crap, it was really the people on the boats that beat the Joker. Batman just beat him up.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yes Fade, you are alone in all of that. The Bane opinion, the Joker opinion, the whole entire post.

Nothing but respect but yeah, it's not unusual for you to dislike something commonly popular. Not because you're a douchebag hipster, but because it's just your opinion and what you like/dislike.

MindDetective

MindDetective

She's bending over like that because of the huge lead weights someone tucked in her shirt.

Also, that Bane picture looks absolutely stupid. I actually prefer the Batman and Robin one.

I still feel like I'm the only man alive who didn't care for the DK's Joker as, well, the Joker. I loved the movie, Ledger was great, the character was great for what it was, but it just didn't feel like the Joker. Also, for all the world's greatest detective crap, it was really the people on the boats that beat the Joker. Batman just beat him up.
You're not alone, Fade. My problem with the character was a lack of consistency. He was supposed to embody chaos (which itself is not the usual Joker. I can grant Nolan leeway for imagining a more "realistic" world) and sometimes he was chaotic but other times he was meticulous in his planning. I'm okay if the character is a bit two-faced (espousing one philosophy and living another) but that was not made clear, since he did seem to act randomly sometimes. As riveting as the Joker was, he was written to fit the plot points of the movie, I think. That just speaks volumes about what Ledger brought to the role.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

While I don't think Adam Hughes is a BAD artist, I just find his women are far too cheesecake. And there's enough of that as it is in comics. Pass.

Darwyn Cooke, who designed the current Catwoman costume, on the other hand?

Frig. Because I'm on a very unstable wi-fi right now (moving to Maine tomorrow), I can't even post a pic. Maybe someone else can.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

far too cheesecake. And there's enough of that as it is in comics. Pass.
You take that back. You take that back right now Nick! :mad:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Glad to be of service. :)

fade

fade

I don't know what cheesecake means, but Hughes does have a habit of drawing the same face on a lot of his females.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I don't know what cheesecake means, but Hughes does have a habit of drawing the same face on a lot of his females.
http://homepage.mac.com/brons/Art/Cheesecake.html

Vampirella/Lady Death/Glory/Dawn were pretty much page for page Cheesecake. Which is why I own so many issues....

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This news just broke a few minutes ago.

PleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTrue...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This news just broke a few minutes ago.

PleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTruePleaseBeTrue...
I'm really doubting this one. And I think that would be one drop too many in the villain pool for this film; although if it was confirmed, I'd still be in the "I trust Nolan" camp.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Pleasedon'tbetrueorwerebacktooversaturationbatmanvillainsperfilmagain.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Though they are focusing on Anne H playing "Selina Kyle" and not "Catwoman," so if she's not a villain, that leaves only Bane as a villain...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Pinup style art is cheesecake, so yeah, it's exactly as Hughes draws. His Power Girl and Wonder Woman are both pretty unique in the face and seeing as they (along with Catwoman) are my favorite pieces by him, I'm totally cool.

Norris

Norris

This looks possibly legit to me, but I have not gotten to the part of the podcast (whose site I found this on) talks about it. Still, not yet posted here.

Espy

Espy

It looks pretty much like what I would see Nolan doing for Catwoman. Grounded in real life, superspythief look. Especially if she isn't going to actually go full "catwoman" for this film, which, I think is probably a good choice.

Norris

Norris

Aside from slightly more hi-tech goggles, it is pretty much a cowl short of her modern day costume. So I have no real complaint.

Kevin Smith's Stoner Conspiracy Theory (from the Hollywood Babble-On Podcast): Bane, who we're seeing quite a lot of, won't be the main villain. Nor, obviously, will Selina Kyle (I'm seriously betting she's Batman's partner here, thief or not). He bets a returned Ra's Al-Ghul as the big bad, I have a different theory. You guys?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Aside from slightly more hi-tech goggles, it is pretty much a cowl short of her modern day costume. So I have no real complaint.

Kevin Smith's Stoner Conspiracy Theory (from the Hollywood Babble-On Podcast): Bane, who we're seeing quite a lot of, won't be the main villain. Nor, obviously, will Selina Kyle (I'm seriously betting she's Batman's partner here, thief or not). He bets a returned Ra's Al-Ghul as the big bad, I have a different theory. You guys?
We're not seeing Ra's Al-Ghul again. I'm calling that straight right now; there'd be zero purpose and I don't know why Kevin Smith would be even considering that as the case.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Problem is? The cowl is what seperates her from just another "run of the mill" burglar. Where's the "Cat"?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I admittedly don't know shit on the subject, but do cats have some sort of... good vision, or something different with their vision that is good for burgling? Maybe the goggles do something like that? I've been curious what the fuck the goggles do.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

We're not seeing Ra's Al-Ghul again. I'm calling that straight right now; there'd be zero purpose and I don't know why Kevin Smith would be even considering that as the case.
Well, I wouldn't count that out right yet.

Liam Neeson has been cast again as Ra's al-Ghul and some on-set footage (not the current stuff being shot, but stuff overseas shot months ago) point towards a Lazarus Pit-esque pool.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, I wouldn't count that out right yet.

Liam Neeson has been cast again as Ra's al-Ghul and some on-set footage (not the current stuff being shot, but stuff overseas shot months ago) point towards a Lazarus Pit-esque pool.
IMDB says nothing of this.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

IMDB says nothing of this.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78683
It has also been noted that Josh Pence has the role, apparently for some flashback portions.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77280
This link goes to the set photos.

Espy

Espy

Problem is? The cowl is what seperates her from just another "run of the mill" burglar. Where's the "Cat"?
As has been mentioned before, so far, unless I missed it, the Nolan camp has not referred to her as "Catwoman". She's just Selina Kyle. I wouldn't expect a "cat" costume for her.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Then what's the point of adding her as a character? It'd have been like adding Heath Ledger's joker but no painted face/crooked smile.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Then what's the point of adding her as a character? It'd have been like adding Heath Ledger's joker but no painted face/crooked smile.
To get us to spend a lot of time discussing this and getting this movie in people's minds a year before it comes out.

Espy

Espy

Because Selina Kyle is more than just a thief with cat ears on her suit? Hell the very best story about her is one after she gives up being cat woman. It's just called Selina's Big Score by Darwyn Cooke and it proves that lady does not need ears on her thieving clothes to be awesome. Ima trust Nolan on this. Plus she looks cool :)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm not questioning it's going to be good, I just don't like the direction.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I originally hated the idea of a facepainted Joker rather than the actual skin being white and boy did I not care once the movie started, so I'm willing to overlook the lack of cat ears (which is really all that's missing).

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This looks possibly legit to me, but I have not gotten to the part of the podcast (whose site I found this on) talks about it. Still, not yet posted here.
Just wanted to point out that the image has been debunked. It is a image of a model playing Lara Croft that was edited to look similar to what was seen in the last image of Anne on the bike.

Norris

Norris

Did we miss that it is frequently stoned Batman fanboy giving this prediction? I think "because it would be cool" is the reason for that specific prediction. The Bane prediction, however, I tend to agree with. They did outdoor shots with Ledger in full Joker regalia and kept a far tighter lid on it. There must be something we're not seeing.
Because it's not the "morally ambiguous cat burglar with a penchant for crime fighting and an attraction to Batman" characterization that makes Selina Kyle interesting. It's the literal cat theme.

EDIT: well, balls. I apologize.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I honestly don't know why I keep reading this thread or looking up DKR news and teasers. Nothing I see or read is going to dissuade me from seeing it, nor is it going to make me anymore excited for it. I don't need to be convinced to see it, and unless they announced tomorrow that Carrot Top was going to be playing the part of every single character in the movie, I don't think I could be kept away. So why do I do this to myself?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'll complain, I hope the real costume at least has a cat on the belt buckle, or something. I'm fine with most of that look, but my understanding of the character of Catwoman is a vain super-thief who is obsessed (to some degree) with cats. Even if she's going to be a cat burglar and not actually Catwoman in the movie, she still needs to have the vanity of personalized gear. A few signature pieces that reflect her own sense of style. She's not just any thief, after all.

fade

fade

Even though that's just a photoshop job, it kind of looks like a mashup of 1940s Catwoman and modern Catwoman. I mean, all that distinguished 1940s Catwoman from Jill Citizen was a carnival mask.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Here is exactly what I'm talking about:

Black Widow or maybe Lara Croft, Emma Peel or the new Catwoman. Who knows? I don't. Pretty girl, bland costume.

Jay

Jay

That outfit is missing the hole.

...Oh....

figmentPez

figmentPez

tumblr_ls2avdCgwy1r03w74o1_1280.jpg

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmmm... not thrilled with it, but I think it'd be improved if she was giving a big mischievous smile.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'd love to ask some of the fans who said they would refuse to see the movie after seeing the first set of pics. Love how fanboys jump to conclusions before a movie isn't even out, let alone done filming.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What is there to ask? They're full of shit. They know they're seeing it.

Jay

Jay

Remember when people were up in arms when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Never seen a costume that looked good offset, it probably looks much better in the actual production stills.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Looks to me like the goggle that she wore in the previous pics go up on her head and become the cat ears. Kind of clever, really.

Steve

Steve

Adam

Adammon

Trailer is out...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknightrises/

Underwhelming at the moment. Definitely feels like a Nolan movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm not underwhelmed. Looks great. Can't wait for summer 2012.

Adam

Adammon

I'm not underwhelmed. Looks great. Can't wait for summer 2012.
The field collapsing behind the football play does not work for me. I'm reminded too much of 2012.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The field collapsing behind the football play does not work for me. I'm reminded too much of 2012.
Never saw it. I'm allergic to Roland Emmerich movies.

Jay

Jay

Nolan can show me a bag filled with dog shit and I'll still watch it. I loved every one of his movies and remember distinctively how I said Ledger was a poor man's Nicholson....

Espy

Espy

That trailer is awesome. Holy crap I can't wait for this.

Adam

Adammon

Nolan can show me a bag filled with dog shit and I'll still watch it.
But you're French; that's considered Fine Art to your people.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The 8-minute prologue before Mission Impossible: 4 wasn't too shabby either.

Adam

Adammon

The 8-minute prologue before Mission Impossible: 4 wasn't too shabby either.
Just to clarify, did you actually see it yourself or are you passing this on word of mouth?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Yup, I went to IMAX Mission Impossible 4 over the weekend.

Espy

Espy

I hear that MI4 is quite good. I'm willing to go see it since it's directed by Brad Bird... what did you think about it?

Adam

Adammon

Have you seen Citizen Kane yet?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I liked it a lot! Probably the best MI movie yet. I haven't seen 3 in a while and I loved PSH's villain in that. The villain in this one was one of the worst / most boring action movie villians I can remember. Also, probably my favorite big spectacle movie of the year.
Added at: 17:14
Have you seen Citizen Kane yet?
Nah, I saw "You've Got Mail" though

evilmike

evilmike

It's interesting how different the trailer looks without all of the CGI.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm quite thrilled for this! So much so, that I may squeeze out a Catwoman cosplay to wear to the premire (Adam Hughes style). Which, does that bother you guys when people dress up to movie premire's? Hah, I might just be setting myself up to get my feelings hurt with that one..

I'm in the 'In Nolan We Trust' boat. I was reserving my opinion until the trailer came out - trying not to get discouraged that Catwoman has no cowl from set photos. But over all, I think it looks great!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Nah, I saw "You've Got Mail" though
Now you need to see "The Shop Around the Corner" that "You've Got Mail" ripped off.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Batman still looks ridiculous in daytime.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Now you need to see "The Shop Around the Corner" that "You've Got Mail" ripped off.
Actually, the blu-ray came with a copy of Shop Around the Corner that I'm going to watch eventually.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cool, nice that they paid more than just homage to the original.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Here is exactly what I'm talking about:

Black Widow or maybe Lara Croft, Emma Peel or the new Catwoman. Who knows? I don't. Pretty girl, bland costume.
I know this is a really old post, but regarding lazy cosplay, you know what I hate?

Guys who dressed up as Superboy in his costume that's just a t-shirt with the S shield and jeans. Also, Tony Stark. A suit and a stickup light do not cosplay make.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Captions made by yours truly.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm quite thrilled for this! So much so, that I may squeeze out a Catwoman cosplay to wear to the premire (Adam Hughes style). Which, does that bother you guys when people dress up to movie premire's? Hah, I might just be setting myself up to get my feelings hurt with that one..

I'm in the 'In Nolan We Trust' boat. I was reserving my opinion until the trailer came out - trying not to get discouraged that Catwoman has no cowl from set photos. But over all, I think it looks great!
Yeah, tell you the truth, I hate when people dress up and go to the movies. Blech.

Null

Null

Adam Hughes style Catwoman? Yes Please!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Yeah, tell you the truth, I hate when people dress up and go to the movies. Blech.
Thats okay, you can hate on the pictures when I post them :p . I will, however, make sure it is an Adam Hughes' worthy Catwoman. I'm not just going to throw something together.

Thanks Null!

Espy

Espy

I always dress up for the movies. If I'm not in my top hat and tuxedo I feel like one of the undesirables and I shan't feel that.
Snooty.gif

ElJuski

ElJuski

tut tut.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

@Li3n

@Li3n

Guys who dressed up as Superboy in his costume that's just a t-shirt with the S shield and jeans.

Yeah, they really need to add the little cape too:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

All my experiences with seeing people "in costume" at movies have been incredibly obnoxious. Cheering wildly when any character shows up, applauding and hooting if a catchphrase/line from the original property is said, clapping during the credits, bla bla bla. If you sit in your seat and shut up, I don't care what you're wearing.

Covar

Covar

I just liked one of Charlie's posts. This might be a first for me. I agree though. You're at a movie not a live show. STFU and stop ruining the experience for others.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

All my experiences with seeing black people at movies have been incredibly obnoxious. Yelling wildly when any character goes down the stairs in a horror movie, applauding and hooting if a black person comes on screen thatthey like, clapping during the credits, bla bla bla. If you sit in your seat and shut up, I don't care what you're wearing.
You realize it's just a few words difference from that, right Charlie?

Jay

Jay

Please, we don't need to go there.

So what is release date?

Covar

Covar

So you're saying we should just take this all the way and round up everyone who talks during movies onto the trains? Sounds like a plan, but how are we going to get them all the way to Poland?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I see Shego's point and all. I don't think all dress up people are disruptive movie-goers. I let my friends convince me to bring a towel to the theater for Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and it didn't make me become a shithead and/or wave it around when Mos Def said anything.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You certainly got a big "WHAT THE FUCK" out of me when I saw the quote. Then I scrolled up.

I'm guessing Charlie had a terrible time at Snakes on a Plane.

Mathias

Mathias

So you're saying we should just take this all the way and round up everyone who talks during movies onto the trains? Sounds like a plan, but how are we going to get them all the way to Poland?
What the fuck man, what did Poland ever do to you?
Added at: 07:15
I see Shego's point and all. I don't think all dress up people are disruptive movie-goers. I let my friends convince me to bring a towel to the theater for Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and it didn't make me become a shithead and/or wave it around when Mos Def said anything.
I went to the premier of Star Wars I and II, tons of people dressed up and did all those things you mentioned. It didn't ruin the movie for me though. It kinda added to the midnight experience.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I went to the premier of Star Wars I and II, tons of people dressed up and did all those things you mentioned. It didn't ruin the movie for me though. It kinda added to the midnight experience.
That to me is the whole point of going opening night and why I wish I could still afford to do so.

Mathias

Mathias

That to me is the whole point of going opening night and why I wish I could still afford to do so.
Best part was right before the movie started, someone in a Tusken Raider costume got up in front of the theater and did the yell. It was pretty damn funny.

Steve

Steve

There has been a lot of discussion in regards to the Batman trilogy and Nolan's The Prestige. Specifically people are saying the blueprint for the Batman trilogy is laid out in The Prestige. Well, someone took The Prestige trailer audio and meshed it with the three Batman films and it works really well. In fact I like this trailer better than the real Dark Knight Rises trailer.

klew

klew

There has been a lot of discussion in regards to the Batman trilogy and Nolan's The Prestige. Specifically people are saying the blueprint for the Batman trilogy is laid out in The Prestige. Well, someone took The Prestige trailer audio and meshed it with the three Batman films and it works really well. In fact I like this trailer better than the real Dark Knight Rises trailer.
A comment in the associated io9 post linked to a Cracked article from last year with a more in-depth analysis about this connection.

Steve

Steve

True but that link was posted on a prior page.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Cracked is never right

Mathias

Mathias

Cracked is never right

Relax Tonto. Cracked is pretty much Mad Magazine for the internet.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ehhhhh, I don't know if I entirely agree with that. With their theories and such? Sure. But they've got some really great, decently-researched articles. The result might be a little sophomoric, but that's just writing for the casual audience. I like reading some of their scientific lists, for example (strangest planets, scariest insects, etc).

Everything else? Totally agree.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Relax Tonto. Cracked is pretty much Mad Magazine for the internet.
Right, which is why, though entertaining, is absolutely awful when some jackass goes, "YEAH WELL I READ ON CRACKED THAT"

Covar

Covar

decently-researched articles.
We must be reading different websites.

Soliloquy

I love reading Cracked. I also take the time to look into any particularly strange claims they make about science or history -- most of the time, they're way off.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Are they? I guess I read somewhere that they were usually relatively spot on or researched and assumed as much.

Covar

Covar

They suffer terribly from wanting to make the point they're trying to make facts be damned. Over half their articles are nothing more than a writers rant about something that's currently annoying him/her, or joking list about something "YOU HAD NO IDEA ABOUT" filled with things anyone who fell down the same wikipedia train knows about, and is largely taken out of context.

<-- Has to many friends who read cracked like it's the bible.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I mean, when you read a Cracked article, and at the end it says, "John So and So has his own awesome sprite comic!" it puts their authorial merit into jeapordy.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

bhamv3

bhamv3

Huh...
looks like Bane invades the Batcave, just like he did in the comics.

Espy

Espy

WOW.

Covar

Covar

So looks like movie bane, just like comic bane, only had issues of Detective Comics to read in the slammer.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So looks like movie bane, just like comic bane, only had issues of Detective Comics to read in the slammer.
Let go of Source Material when watching comic book/novel movies man. You'll be a much happier person and enjoy life much more.

Espy

Espy

Huh?

Covar

Covar

Many of the ways Bane got at Batman in Knightfall were based on Reader knowledge. i.e. targeting Lucius Fox.

Espy

Espy

I thought all of that was based on him figuring out that Batman was Wayne. It's been a long time though so I very well could be wrong.

Either way, I think assuming giant plot holes from a little trailer may be jumping the gun a little bit.

Covar

Covar

I'm seeing the Avengers tonight so I'm waiting on the trailer until after I see that.

Espy you're right it was, but my issue is with how he deduces, "because he's a super-genius". It's lazy writing, devalues the other villains and what is an incredibly guarded secret. It would be like introducing a new character to Action and Superman who comes into the Daily Planet and starts blackmailing Clark Kent because it's "obvious" that he's Superman. Besides even if you knew of Batman and Bruce Wayne being the same person, how would you know about the Batcave?

Espy

Espy

Man, I don't know, but if Jim Carrey can figure it out I guess it's not that hard. :p
jim_carrey_batman_forever_001.jpg

MindDetective

MindDetective

That last trailer that was posted actually put me off a bit. :-\

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That last trailer that was posted actually put me off a bit. :-\
I actually agree.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Maybe one of you can explain this to me: I'm hugely excited for The Avengers, which falls squarely into the goofy, unrealistic superhero category that really keeps me from reading most comics, but for some reason I'm having a problem with "the man who dresses up like a bat to fight crime" thing here. It's double odd because I remember liking the other Batman movies. Is it the trailers? The build up? Just me?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I dunno, honestly for me I've been getting more and more weary of this movie since they revealed the BatJet. For whatever reason, whenever they do it, I cannot get behind Batman having a jet. Car? Okay. Motorcycle, you're pushing it, but okay. Jet? Suddenly I'm like "When's he going to rip out his Bat-Credit Card?"

But I'm pretty sure Christopher Nolan will put my fears to rest, so I'm still going to make it out to see in theatres.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I never liked the James Bond-ness of Batman, personally. The worst part of the last movie was the CSI moment that magically gave him a clue. Less tech, more detective-ing!

fade

fade

I think the Nolanesque (is that right, GasBandit ?) realistic superhero bit is played out. I suspect we'll see a lot of people weary of it by the time this movie comes out.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm seeing the Avengers tonight so I'm waiting on the trailer until after I see that.

Espy you're right it was, but my issue is with how he deduces, "because he's a super-genius". It's lazy writing, devalues the other villains and what is an incredibly guarded secret. It would be like introducing a new character to Action and Superman who comes into the Daily Planet and starts blackmailing Clark Kent because it's "obvious" that he's Superman. Besides even if you knew of Batman and Bruce Wayne being the same person, how would you know about the Batcave?
I'm pretty sure that Bruce didn't build the whole thing by hand. He most likely did it using cover stories to contractors about what is actually being built, but it wouldn't be too hard to back-track all of Batman's tech and hidey holes if you made the Wayntech connection.

But, yeah, like espy said, judging a movie by the trailer is extremely premature.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I think the Nolanesque (is that right, GasBandit ?) realistic superhero bit is played out. I suspect we'll see a lot of people weary of it by the time this movie comes out.
Focus Group Guy: Okay, how many of the kids would like Itchy & Scratchy to deal with real life problems like the ones you face every day?
[the kids cheer]
Focus Group Guy: And who would like to see them do just the opposite, getting into far-out situations involving robots and magic powers.
[the kid kids cheer again]
Focus Group Guy: So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?
[the kids all chat at once about it being a great idea]
Milhouse Van Houten: And, also, you should win things by watching.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, fade, I don't think that will happen till Man of Steel comes out.

I expect that movie to suck so bad...

Also, when has Batman ever NOT had a jet?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Probably, but I would like to put forward a new word for consideration in this regard:

Nolanalagous.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Also, fade
In the 30's and 40's when he had a gyro-copter and then a prop driven fighter plane...

Espy

Espy

Just watched the trailer again.

More excited. If thats possible.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Also, fade, I don't think that will happen till Man of Steel comes out.

I expect that movie to suck so bad...

In Batman Begins/ Dark Knight, for starters.

He's pretty much always had one in most of the incarnations of the story, but it's not used all the time. And when it's not used I can ignore it.

Jay

Jay

Y9pYG.png

The answer was Two Face.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Where does he get those wonderful toys? I shall not be satisfied until I see the Shark Repellent Batspray.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

In two of the three good Batman movies.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In two of the three good Batman movies.
Hey, the 1989 Tim Burton version was good. Without it I doubt we'd have had Batman:TAS in the dark/gothic form it took, if at all. Or was that your third "good" that did have one?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Or was that your third "good" that did have one?
ttt4.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

And yet the scene with the jet is by far the stupidest in that movie.
Batman doesn't kill people, yet he's outfitted this jet with gatling guns and missiles?

And the jet is brought down by a single bullet from a (comically oversized) handgun?

ElJuski

ElJuski

I mean, why not?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Batman doesn't kill people, yet he's outfitted this jet with gatling guns and missiles?

And the jet is brought down by a single bullet from a (comically oversized) handgun?
The Joker borrowed Danny Vermin's 88 Magnum. It shoots through schools.

Frank

Frank

Tim Burton Batman killed a lot of people over the course of two movies. The Axis chemicals scene where the car thunders in guns a blazing then blows the entire place up as a gang of goons surrounded it is probably the most egregious in that way. When the jet was swooping in on the Joker and Batman starts blasting away it shows a bunch of Joker goons get mowed down by it. Batman was kind of a mass murderer.

That said, Batman 89 holds a spot in my heart for captivating my 6 year old heart. My dad took me to see it and it became my favorite movie for years afterward (probably to his chagrin).

Lots oh murder.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Don't forget the Tim Burton Batman scene where he literally gives a thug a grenade with the pin pulled and seconds later it explodes.

The "Batman doesn't use guns so therefore Batman doesn't kill" just doesn't work in the movies.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The Joker borrowed Danny Vermin's 88 Magnum. It shoots through schools.
"This goes through armor... through the victim... through the wall... through a tree outside." :)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Just. Stop.

bhamv3

bhamv3

"Uhh, sir? We've got an unidentified flying object, two miles out. Shaped like a large bat, sir."

"It's probably just a bat, then. Ignore it."

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

you're no fun. Come on let's continue nitpicking trivial details of pop culture and fictional air craft. I know it's kind of a trivial pursuit but eh...

For instance. There are many cases where the bat jet is flying in the rain. If it is a stealth craft, it's going to suffer severe water penetration through the soft materials that allow it to go off the radar. :aaah:
Stealth is so overdone. Bruce had Lucius install a Somebody Else's Problem Field generator. Much cheaper and easier to maintain.

Bowielee

Bowielee

View attachment 5811

The answer was Two Face.
WHAT? Catwoman would totally get an invitation.

"See what you missed out on because you just HAD to steal all those inexplicably cat themed diamonds?"
cbtux.jpg

cwcrying.jpg

"whore"
batmansmirk.jpg

@Li3n

@Li3n

WHAT? Catwoman would totally get an invitation.
Pretty sure she wouldn't need one, as I just don't see him marrying Talia...

I didn't realise Frank Miller was a poster here...

evilmike

evilmike

New TV spots

evilmike

evilmike

I think they might have gone too far in trying to fix the audio by redubbing it

Jay

Jay

Release date?

evilmike

evilmike

Release date?
(from IMDb)
19 July 2012
Australia​
Hong Kong​
Malaysia​
New Zealand​
Singapore​
Taiwan​
20 July 2012
Canada​
Denmark​
Finland​
India​
Indonesia​
Ireland​
Israel​
Netherlands​
Romania​
Spain​
UK​
USA​
25 July 2012
Belgium​
France​
Iceland​
Norway​
Sweden​
Switzerland (French speaking region)​
26 July 2012
Argentina​
Bosnia and Herzegovina​
Cambodia​
Chile​
Croatia​
Georgia​
Germany​
Hungary​
Russia​
Serbia​
Slovenia​
Switzerland (German speaking region)​
Ukraine​
27 July 2012
Brazil​
Bulgaria​
Colombia​
Costa Rica​
Estonia​
Japan​
Latvia​
Lithuania​
Mexico​
Paraguay​
Poland​
South Africa​
Turkey​
Vietnam​
2 August 2012
Portugal​
16 August 2012
Lebanon​
21 August 2012
Greece​
29 August 2012
Italy​
Switzerland (Italian speaking region)​

Terrik

Terrik

I'M NOT SEEING CHINA ON THE GODDAMNED LIST.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Popping the text from this website:
http://xiuxian.sz.bendibao.com/news/2012522/386452_3.htm
into google translator, it says September 20th, tentative.

Terrik

Terrik

Popping the text from this website:
http://xiuxian.sz.bendibao.com/news/2012522/386452_3.htm
into google translator, it says September 20th, tentative.

Well, I've been itching to go back to Hong Kong.

Terrik

Terrik

Can you fit me in your suitcase?
It may have to be multiple.

bhamv3

bhamv3

19 July 2012
Taiwan​
Awwww yeah.

Do we have any forumites from Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, or Singapore? Because otherwise I could potentially be the first one to see this movie.

(I probably won't, though, the 19th is a Thursday and I have to work late that day, probably)

Terrik

Terrik

Awwww yeah.

Do we have any forumites from Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, or Singapore? Because otherwise I could potentially be the first one to see this movie.

(I probably won't, though, the 19th is a Thursday and I have to work late that day, probably)
Not if I get there first.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm mulling over going to the midnight showing this week.

Jay

Jay

Booked my seats for Saturday at 4 PM (have a BBQ to go to that night)... love being able to reserve my seats. No stupid lineups!

Oooh and it's the AVX theatre.

AWWW YEAH

Espy

Espy

Going on Sunday when our babysitter is available. Gonna do sushi beforehand and wine and desert during. Gotta love the VIP seating.

evilmike

evilmike

Reviews are trending positive, currently 87% at Rotten Tomatoes. It's not quite at the approval level of its predecessor, 94%, but it's close. The crazy bit is that Rotten Tomatoes has had to shut down commenting because of the internet rage directed against the negative reviews. (link) The traffic from the early reviews has also slashdotted at least one critic's website. (link) (The site in question is here.)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

lol @ people raging about critics' reviews

I'm pondering the midnight showing or the 3:15a at the IMAX. The 3am one could dodge the crazies (or have more crazies?!?!), and then I could go have a leisurely breakfast and go to work. There are also 5am, 830a, 4am, etc type showings on the weekend that might have less assholes. Hmm. I wish there was an IMAX with Alamo Drafthouse esque policies on people talking. Although this movie is probably loud enough that they'd get blotted out anyways. I'm probably putting too much thought into it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Personally, I'm doing a marathon. My local movie theater is showing all three of Nolan's Batman films starting at 6:30 PM tomorrow.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Personally, I'm doing a marathon. My local movie theater is showing all three of Nolan's Batman films starting at 6:30 PM tomorrow.
I think all Regals and AMCs are doing that. I didn't want to pay for it in IMAX though.

The good side of those is that anyone that dedicated will probably keep their ass quiet, and any children would get probably smothered between showings by fat fanboys.

Espy

Espy

We watched Begins last night and we are watching Dark Knight Friday night from the comfort of our own home. I forgot how damn good Batman Begins was. Man.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Fuck it, I read a couple reviews from my hoity-toity reviewers, and they seemed pretty good and hit on everything I wanted out of this movie so fuck it, I'm really really excited and wish today was Thursday. I'm gonna see it as soon as possible.

@Li3n

@Li3n

As long as Bale still does that annoying voice i will never be able to enjoy these films... gods that voice is annoying.

Frank

Frank

!

Los Pollos Hermanos! That made me laugh plenty.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A friend of mine is working at a place that's selling tickets for an advance screening of it. So I'm seeing it tomorrow night at 7.

Jelly? :D

Gusto

Gusto

Got my tix for Friday at 10. Planning on skipping out of work early Friday afternoon and marathoning the previous two with a friend who's going with me.

Frank

Frank

I plan to see it whenever I feel like there'll be less of a retarded batch of fucking morons in the theater.

So, in like 3 months.

Far

Far

Just got back from seeing it an hour ago. Really liked most of it, quite a bit, few things I didn't care for. Won't say more until later. Want to see others reactions before I weigh in more.

Batman's gravel voice is toned down severely but Bane's takes some getting used to. At times, it was a little difficult to understand him but not nearly as bad as I had assumed it would be going off the preview they did back in January I think it was. re working the voice definitely helped.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Just four more hours to go until the marathon for me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Looks like it will be a long time before I can see this movie, if I can see it in theatres at all. So I guess it's time to unwatch this thread, lest I accidentally click it and get spoiler'd...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm going to see it Saturday morning at 5AM, since that was the first showtime not sold out in IMAX.

Likewise - peaceout thread until then.

Espy

Espy

Well guys, as a Mod I can say this:

If anyone spoils anything in the Dark Knight in this thread because they don't know how to use spoiler tags I will personally make sure they pay for it. Because I only use my mod powers for good. Er, I mean evil. I mean... when it comes to having the dark knight ruined for me.

YOU ARE NOW ALL AWARE. USE SPOILER TAGS OR FACE MY "MY BABY KEEPS ME UP AT NIGHT SO I'M EXTRA GROUCHY" WRATH.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Dude, I just saw it, even though it isn't out y et and I'm sick at home, and it's totally awesome. Batman kills Murdock, Baine kills the fake president, Ra's Al Gul turns out to be Rove, and....what? Not buying it? D'awww.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well guys, as a Mod I can say this:

If anyone spoils anything in the Dark Knight in this thread
Batman is Bruce Wayne.

Oh shit, I forgot the spoiler tag!

Batman is Bruce Wayne.

There, that's better.

Lurker

Lurker

Can anyone please respond whether there is an after-credits scene? (Y/N)

Thank you!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Just got back from seeing it. First, some general, unspoilery thoughts:

-Bane was fantastic. In fact, I might even (arguably) say he was better written here than in the comics. He was a great, imposing, and vastly intelligent threat.
-Catwoman was likewise very well written. Certainly leagues better written than Batman Returns.
-Some incredibly great action, which - having just last night watched the first two - shows how Nolan has really improved in his action directing.
-A couple of really fun shocks and surprises along the way.
-It's interesting how they managed to mix in not one, not two, but at least three major Batman storylines from the comics. And yet it still felt natural.
-There were a couple of storyline hiccups that made me question some things, but nothing really major that ruined my enjoyment of the movie.

Overall, this is a great finale to Nolan's trilogy and one that will definitely be remembered for a long, long time. It's going to be near-impossible for anyone to expect these three movies to be topped.

Okay, spoilery bits:

-I saw Talia's reveal a mile away, almost as soon as she was revealed. It seemed odd that her character played so close to such a big threat. As soon as I realized that, I put the pieces together. Still, she had a fantastic character motivation and arc. Anyone who wasn't familiar with the Batman mythos - or more specifically, Ra's Al Ghul's mythos - will likely be surprised by her turn.

-Similarly, as soon as Alfred talked about that fantasy, I knew exactly how Bruce's story was going to end.

-As I said in the non-spoilery stuff, they used three major Batman storylines: Knightfall (broken back), Dark Knight Returns (even copying entire lines, like the conversation between the old and young cop), and most surprisingly...No Man's Land. And yet it all manages to fit in rather well. Yes, it has a ridiculously long running time, but I was never bored.

-Cute little wink with "Robin" at the end. If it were me, I would've gone the full monty and had him called Dick Grayson, but ah well. Shame we never got to see him in the bat suit. Though if they were to cast him for Batman in the next movie or Justice League, I'd be okay with it. It could still be a full reboot, with him as Bruce Wayne, but it'd be like a spiritual continuation. Might be too confusing for the general audience, though.

-Two story hiccups that bothered me: the ticking timer on the bomb was shown as about an hour...and then it continued on for several months? It was never explained (I don't think) how that worked. The second was the Bat-Plane being under a tarp the whole time. Surely, Bane or one of his flunkies in a helicopter would've noticed that.

-Holy shit, it was amazing to see an actual hand-to-hand fight with someone on equal, if not superior, grounds with Batman. It wasn't the same as Ra's. Bane just completely dominated him. Tom Hardy had a great screen presence throughout the movie. Though, I'm not sure if they ever explained why he needed the ventilator. I liked that they didn't go with a Venom formula with tubes and shit because this particular world is closer in reality than the comics. Which is why I'm also glad we never saw the Lazarus Pit. It just wouldn't work in this world Nolan's created.

So yeah, overall, loved it. Is it as good as Dark Knight? Ehhhhh, maybe. Time will have to tell. It's certainly better than Batman Begins, or at the very least, its equal. Tom Hardy had an amazing screen presence in both physical and voice. Writing-wise, I would say he's equal to Joker in his intelligence, capabilities, and definitely above Joker in his threats - certainly in making them happen. Ledger's performance is put on a pedestal because it really was outstanding and deserving of all the accolades, but part of that pedestal is also because it's all posthumous. He would still be hailed for the performance if he hadn't have died, but I think it's heightened because died. So again, I think time will tell whether it's as good as The Dark Knight. It certainly stands incredibly well alongside its predecessors, though.

As a whole, the trilogy is outstanding. Similar to Star Wars, the middle one is the best, but the other two are both great in their own ways.
[DOUBLEPOST=1342749859][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can anyone please respond whether there is an after-credits scene? (Y/N)

Thank you!
No, there is not. This isn't a Marvel movie. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1342749952][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and one last thing.

HOLYSHITSUPERMANTRAILER! :aaah: I was literally squeeing and shaking with excitement. My friend kept telling me to stop fidgeting but I couldn't help it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

As much as I hated The Amazing Spider-Man is how much I loved the Dark Knight Rises.

I thought Anne Hathaway did a great job as Catwoman. One of the best to be put to film in movies or television. I even liked her more than TAS's version of Catwoman.

Bane was the most imposing superhero villain since Zod in Superman 2.

As Nick said, they managed to incorporate a few Batman stories together and did it well.

The story was solid, I never felt bored over the almost 3 hour runtime.

Overall, it was just great.

I agree with Nick on the Talia reveal. I actually called that she was Talia when he saw the scar on her back after they got busy in Wayne Manor.
The twist that it was HER that escaped the prison, rather than Bane did catch me by surprise.
Oh, and ThatNickGuy , They did explain why he needed the breather. He was disfigured while helping Talia escape, leaving him in constant pain. Why the mask alleviates the pain, they didn't get into, but the doctor did say that the mask did that. They even showed him wrapped in bloody bandages when Ra's and Talia took back the prison.
And boy, did that Cracked article about Nolan laying the plot for the entire trilogy in The Prestige turn out to be spot on. They even called Joseph Gorden Lovett being "robin" and taking over the mantle of the bat.
Scarecrow cameos were AWESOME, though something with the fear gas would have been cool.
Glad to see that Liam Neesen came back to reprise Ra's Al Ghoul. The way they incorporated Bane into that mythos was great.

Jay

Jay

Can forum staff please clean this thread? This American tragedy has absolutely fucking nothing to do with the movie.

Thank you.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Can forum staff please clean this thread? This American tragedy has absolutely fucking nothing to do with the movie.

Thank you.
It's what reporting was invented for ;-)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Saw the Dark Knight Marathon last night. I had forgotten how good Batman Begins was and The Dark Knight is still so damn great.

As for The Dark Knight Rises, I thought it was really good. It had its flaws, but it is ultimately a satisfying conclusion to a really good saga.

GasBandit

GasBandit

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At least Bats is not doing his self portrait in the restroom...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

At least Bats is not doing his self portrait in the restroom...
"Um dude, you left some 'guano' in the 'Bat Cave' behind you!"

Gryfter

Gryfter

Saw it, thought it was an entirely fitting end to Nolan's trilogy. Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy were outstanding editions to the cast and performed their roles excellently. In the case of Tom Hardy, he actually got me to appreciate and like Bane, never cared for the Hulked out villain from the comics, felt this was a much better foil for Batman.

I agree with Nick's assessment of the Trilogy, second one was the best but this one was still great.

Norris

Norris

I loved the hell out of the movie. Noticed at least five comic stories it drew on:

Knightfall - Obvious, what with Bane breaking Batman.
Dark Knight Returns - What with Batman returning to the streets after a long absence.
No Man's Land - What with Gotham City being declared off limits, no one in or out, with only a few remaining cops to restore order while Batman is absent for months.
Officer Down - Jim Gordon gets shot and his replacement as commissioner wants Batman arrested.
R.I.P. - Bruce's new love interest is revealed to be part of a group trying to kill him, leading directly to his apparent death in an exploding aircraft over Gotham Harbor. He survives in secret (though that didn't last long in the comics) and a younger man takes on the cowl.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Huh. I hadn't thought of the other two, Norris. Good call, man.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It was good, not great. Kind of a mess, though. The second half of the movie felt way too on-the-nose.[DOUBLEPOST=1342877786][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Came back from a packed theater. Definitely worth the watch, though I admit a preference for the old school Joker in the Burton film. Some of the critical reviews lambasted this film for a pretty heavy-handed political message, and that may have tainted my viewing of the film (having watched After Hours at Cracked didn't help, either). Still, a solid film and a solid ending to Nolan's reinterpretation of the Batman mythos, both within and without the movie.

Also, I admit surprise at some of the twists and surprises mentioned by previous posters, particularly the one involving
Talia;
I did not see that coming, and it really put in the afterburners when you thought everything was neatly wrapped up.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm glad you brought up the political message, spoilers ahoy!

This was one of my only real problems with the film. It was the subtext (though it was kind of hamfisted, so it's barely even subtext). The use of terrorism in this film was disconcerting to me. The fact that the people rising up against the rich of Gotham is portrayed as the ultimate evil. There is undeniable imagery that portrays this as downright unamerican (the child singing the national anthem, the tattered flags, etc...). Catwoman's arch in particular illustrates this. It pretty much says "see all you people clammoring for change, all it will do is end in anarchy".

Norris

Norris

I'm glad you brought up the political message, spoilers ahoy!

This was one of my only real problems with the film. It was the subtext (though it was kind of hamfisted, so it's barely even subtext). The use of terrorism in this film was disconcerting to me. The fact that the people rising up against the rich of Gotham is portrayed as the ultimate evil. There is undeniable imagery that portrays this as downright unamerican (the child singing the national anthem, the tattered flags, etc...). Catwoman's arch in particular illustrates this. It pretty much says "see all you people clammoring for change, all it will do is end in anarchy".
Except Bane is clearly and explicitly using the language of social change in order to further his own ends. He co-opts the frustration of the people in order to conquer them. Which has happened a lot. It came off more like "if someone's offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is" and "social change through violence begets more violence". to me than what you said. It portrayed violence as wrong.

EDIT: Also, the revolution that descends Gotham into chaos was bankrolled by a millionaire to achieve her own ends. There's some nuance to its politics, more than you seem to credit it with.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Except Bane is clearly and explicitly using the language of social change in order to further his own ends. He co-opts the frustration of the people in order to conquer them. Which has happened a lot. It came off more like "if someone's offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is" and "social change through violence begets more violence". to me than what you said. It portrayed violence as wrong.

EDIT: Also, the revolution that descends Gotham into chaos was bankrolled by a millionaire to achieve her own ends. There's some nuance to its politics, more than you seem to credit it with.
I plan on seeing it again. I'll be taking some mental notes next time.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm to lazy to say anything more than I really enjoyed it!!

The film was great - in keeping with Nolan's track record. Yay! (Was a mistake to go to the midnight though: Drove to a reserved seating theatre about an hour away, meaning the movie got out at 3:30, drove home and got there are 4:30. I wasn't in bed until 5 and had to get up at 6:30 for work.)

I would really like to go see it again.

Also, I just want to say that I thought Anne did wonderfully! She fit into the Nolanverse perfectly.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Anne succeeded in playing the fake ingenue more than any other Catwoman has.

Jay

Jay

Watched it. It was a good movie. I liked it a lot and the ending was on par of my expectations... however, I'll consider it the weakest of the films.

Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Dark Knight Rises.

Spoilers

- I felt they casted Marion incorrectly, for her appearance in the film gave her away. I always wondered if Talia would have been part of the movies but when I saw her on the screen and placed closed to Bruce... I knew something was up. However, when they revealed that the one who escaped the pit was her, I was surprised.

- Multiple storylines tied in smoothly.

- Sometimes very very hard to understand what Bane was saying... and it bothered me a lot. I did like Tom HARDY'S performance however, heck, my wife didn't even recognize him until I told her it was him. He was physically imposing and huge, intelligent and ruthless. He was everything I wanted him to be.

- Hathaway was fine as cat woman. She didn't surprise me like Heath did with the Joker but she did a very good job... the scenes of her on the motorcycle.... mmm. Nolan bring out the best of of his actors. - I thought the scene where shitloads of cops are running towards the henchmen, mostly without gun while they were being shot at, absolutely retarded. The way it was setup where it looked like Kingdom of Heaven where a bunch of people were fist fighting when the bullets ran out instead of swords and having Batman and Bane fight "nobodies" being reaching each other and then facing off to a fist fight to the finish while NO ONE interfered with them was absolutely retarded.

- The Raz cameo and the storyline with Bane and his daughter was really well done. Love Liam.

- Scarecrow cameo was awesome.

- Soundtrack was epic... a lot of stuff borrowed from the first 2 movies. Sound track compliments the action very well.

- Felt it was too long... about 30 minutes worth and could have been more fluid. It lacked the polish the Dark Knight had... or maybe Joker vs Batman was the best it could have been for me.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Watched it. It was a good movie. I liked it a lot and the ending was on par of my expectations... however, I'll consider it the weakest of the films.

Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Dark Knight Rises.

Spoilers

- I felt they casted Marion incorrectly, for her appearance in the film gave her away. I always wondered if Talia would have been part of the movies but when I saw her on the screen and placed closed to Bruce... I knew something was up. However, when they revealed that the one who escaped the pit was her, I was surprised.

- Multiple storylines tied in smoothly.

- Sometimes very very hard to understand what Bane was saying... and it bothered me a lot. I did like Tom HARDY'S performance however, heck, my wife didn't even recognize him until I told her it was him. He was physically imposing and huge, intelligent and ruthless. He was everything I wanted him to be.

- Hathaway was fine as cat woman. She didn't surprise me like Heath did with the Joker but she did a very good job... the scenes of her on the motorcycle.... mmm. Nolan bring out the best of of his actors. - I thought the scene where shitloads of cops are running towards the henchmen, mostly without gun while they were being shot at, absolutely retarded. The way it was setup where it looked like Kingdom of Heaven where a bunch of people were fist fighting when the bullets ran out instead of swords and having Batman and Bane fight "nobodies" being reaching each other and then facing off to a fist fight to the finish while NO ONE interfered with them was absolutely retarded.

- The Raz cameo and the storyline with Bane and his daughter was really well done. Love Liam.

- Scarecrow cameo was awesome.

- Soundtrack was epic... a lot of stuff borrowed from the first 2 movies. Sound track compliments the action very well.

- Felt it was too long... about 30 minutes worth and could have been more fluid. It lacked the polish the Dark Knight had... or maybe Joker vs Batman was the best it could have been for me.
As far as pacing goes, I felt that The Dark Knight was a bit more unevenly paced. The transition between the main thrust of the story leading up to Rachel Dawes' death and the final confrontation with two face was hella awkward. I never felt like there was filler in this one and the scenes all flowed well, IMO. I will agree that overall, The Dark Knight is a better movie.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

I was disappointed in the lack of blow by blow coverage during the Bain/Batman fight at the end by a reporter with a horrible British accent ala Spider-Man 3.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I was disappointed in the lack of blow by blow coverage during the Bain/Batman fight at the end by a reporter with a horrible British accent ala Spider-Man 3.
*Bane

Unless you're referring to the company that Mitt Romney is related to. In that case, you're one of them!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The editing of this movie straight up sucked

Bowielee

Bowielee

The editing of this movie straight up sucked
Charlie hates something popular?!

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Charlie hates something popular?!

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

He never said he hated the movie. In fact, he called it good. It's possible to like something while finding it flawed.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I like plenty of big, popular movies. From this year, Spider-Man, prometheus, jump street, brave, to name a few

Jay

Jay

I thought it was good, not great. A clear step down from the other two movies and obvious compared to the 2nd.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I like plenty of big, popular movies. From this year, Spider-Man, prometheus, jump street, brave, to name a few
Ah, so you loved all the bad movies... got it :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ah, so you loved all the bad movies... got it :p
21 Jump Street and Brave were both pretty good. I haven't seen the other two, but I want to see spider-man because... well, it's spider-man.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was only half serious (as I usually am when replying to Charlie). I haven't seen Jump or Brave either.

What I DO find ironic is that Charlie is saying how terrible the editing is in The Dark Knight risis is. The Amazing Spider-Man had some of the worst editing I've ever seen. Especially because it's readily apparent that they were shuffling the story around up to release.

And because I'm not just going to make that statement without backing it up, spoiler alert!

Entire arcs were edited out of the plot, but only partialy. For example the indian lab corprate guy, the entire storyline with Peter's parents.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Loved Bane. I liked him much more than the joker.
I dont read the comics so I didn't know who talia was. I thought it was a good twist.
Hated the ending. It just came across as a huge cop out to me.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Calling anything in this movie "subtext" is an insult to text everywhere. Almost everyone only spoke in theme.

Espy

Espy

Saw it. Loved it. Gonna see it again in IMAX next week.

It's not a perfect film, it did treat the audience as idiots, which I found annoying, but eh, it was still great.

KCWM

KCWM

Saw it twice. The first time was lackluster. The second viewing put it firmly into 2nd place for me, ahead of Batman Begins, which I watched on Friday as well.

Bane was great. Anne Hathaway and Michael Caine stole every scene they were in, and they weren't in enough.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Calling anything in this movie "subtext" is an insult to text everywhere. Almost everyone only spoke in theme.
OK, this is probably the first time I'm going to say anything to charlie in total seriousness. I know you're probably just trolling again, but if you're going to pretend to be some sot of film aficionado, don't be an idiot about it. Every film has subtext, but I'm thinking that you don't actually understand what that word means.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Actually, I'd agree with Charlie on this one. Subtext is something that is unspoken, like the gay allegory in Bryan Singer's X-Men, Inglorious Basterds being about the death of true cinema, or the actor-film maker-audience relationship in Cabin in the Woods. It's something that's not outright mentioned.

That doesn't happen in Dark Knight Rises. Bane has a full speech, precisely spelling out his plans and how it's supposed to work. Selina says something to Holly about "no one lives here now" or something. There really isn't any subtext.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

At the ending, Commisioner Gordon literally quotes A Tale of Two Cities. Come the fuck on.[DOUBLEPOST=1343080437][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this is a good writer writing a good piece about the film. I don't 100% agree with it, but it's very intelligent and also brings up that shit about Nolan's directing that has always sat kind of weird/bad with me.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2012/07/the_dark_knight_rises_a_hero_a.html

also, lol @ "Every film has subtext"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The subtext of The Transformers movies is Michael Bay has a raging hard-on for the U.S. military.

No, wait. There's nothing sub about that text.

Bowielee

Bowielee

At the ending, Commisioner Gordon literally quotes A Tale of Two Cities. Come the fuck on.[DOUBLEPOST=1343080437][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this is a good writer writing a good piece about the film. I don't 100% agree with it, but it's very intelligent and also brings up that shit about Nolan's directing that has always sat kind of weird/bad with me.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2012/07/the_dark_knight_rises_a_hero_a.html

also, lol @ "Every film has subtext"
Whether it's intentional on the part of the film maker or not, every film has subtext. If you don't know that, you don't know thing one about film and I will have to fall back to the STFUcharlie point of view on every post you make regarding a film as if you know what you're talking about.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I agree with Charlie in this. I loved the movie, because of my investment with the previous movies and the Batman character in general, and I loved the spirit of the film behind the flaws. But I have no problem calling the movie flawed. Awesome action movie? Yes. Fitting end to the amazing Dark Knight trilogy? Yes. Citizen Kane? Hell no.

Although, I fell asleep trying to watch Citizen Kane, so... maybe I need to join a Michael Bay fan club.

Or... Uwe Boll *shudder*

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Or... Uwe Boll *shudder*
Hey now, no need to be mean. Now, I'm not saying that Uwe Boll is a good film maker.

Actually, no one is saying that Uwe Boll is a good film maker.

Hang on, what was my point again?

Espy

Espy

You know, the further and further I get for the film the harder and harder it is for me to not wish that they had made it a two parter. I think most of the flaws in the movie were because it was just overstuffed with stuff. It needed a little room to breathe. And it did need a little more subtlety. I don't think Nolan felt he had time/space to be subtle but I wish he had given himself the time, the film certainly deserved it.
Don't get me wrong, I still think it was great and I look forward to seeing IMAX in a few weeks.

Also, I now would like Nolan to go ahead and sign Anne Hathaway up for a film version of "Selina's Big Score" please.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hey now, no need to be mean. Now, I'm not saying that Uwe Boll is a good film maker.

Actually, no one is saying that Uwe Boll is a good film maker.

Hang on, what was my point again?

I think you were tryign to say Uwe Boll has some redeeming qualities.

You're wrong, of course. ;)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You're wrong, of course. ;)
Christ, I hope so. :p

Gusto

Gusto

'Subtext' is an anagram of 'buttsex'.

QED, bitches.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

'Subtext' is an anagram of 'buttsex'.

QED, bitches.
Everyone loves subtext!

Bowielee

Bowielee

For the record, the subtext I'm referring to is not manipulation by bane or anything else that's explicitly stated.

The subtext I read from the film which concerned me was:

Being poor and controlled by terrorists == bad

Being poor and controlled by Commissioner Gordon and Batman == good

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That. Isn't. Subtext.

GasBandit

GasBandit

SURPRISE SUBTEXT!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Just because no character says it does not make it subtle, which I think subtext is supposed to be.

Frank

Frank

I just watched this-a-here movie. My 2 cents is I overall liked it. It had some issues, but what movies don't. I agree with Charlie about the editing. It was bad. It was better than Spider-Man's editing, but it was still pretty bad. It was fairly enjoyable despite it's heavy handed political nonsense. My main issues were shit like:

-The fucking ending. They should have ended the movie on Michael Caine looking at the camera. That would have been enough. It wasn't necessary to show us Bale and Hathaway eating lunch. AT ALL.

-Batman's magical healing body. I'm pretty sure he didn't have his magical leg brace in super jail there and as a guy who suffered a pretty bad knee injury when I was young, I can tell you no amount of pushups will fix it.

-Bane's Sean Connery voice.....man, it's like they wanted someone with a goofier voice than Christian Bale's grumbatmanvoice.

-Levitt's real name was Robin? UGGGGGGH.

blotsfan

blotsfan

-The fucking ending. They should have ended the movie on Michael Caine looking at the camera. That would have been enough. It wasn't necessary to show us Bale and Hathaway eating lunch. AT ALL.

-Batman's magical healing body. I'm pretty sure he didn't have his magical leg brace in super jail there and as a guy who suffered a pretty bad knee injury when I was young, I can tell you no amount of pushups will fix it.

-Bane's Sean Connery voice.....man, it's like they wanted someone with a goofier voice than Christian Bale's grumbatmanvoice.

-Levitt's real name was Robin? UGGGGGGH.
I loved Bane's voice. It might have been a bit hard to understand at some points but i thought it was badass

Frank

Frank

He sounded like he was about to tell Will Ferrell that he'd like to take swords for 100.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I dunno, I felt it was intimidating, but still charismatic.

also one other problem

I thought not having any reference to the joker was a mistake. Even letting us know he was dead or moved to another city would've been something. Since the scarecrow was free, they obviously freed up arkham. Does anyone really think that with all that going on, the joker wouldn't have done anything if he was released?

Frank

Frank

I dunno, I felt it was intimidating, but still charismatic.

also one other problem

I thought not having any reference to the joker was a mistake. Even letting us know he was dead or moved to another city would've been something. Since the scarecrow was free, they obviously freed up arkham. Does anyone really think that with all that going on, the joker wouldn't have done anything if he was released?
OH YEAH! I was gonna mention that but completely forgot. What's up with that?

blotsfan

blotsfan

It was supposed to be "out of respect for heath ledger" but I don't understand that. I get not having another actor play him, but they gotta say something. I think one line where one of Bane's henchmen talks to him and says something "I freed up arkham, except for this one guy with makeup. Seemed too crazy." Would've been great.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

It was supposed to be "out of respect for heath ledger" but I don't understand that. I get not having another actor play him, but they gotta say something. I think one line where one of Bane's henchmen talks to him and says something "I freed up arkham, except for this one guy with makeup. Seemed too crazy." Would've been great.
Agreed. That would have been great.[DOUBLEPOST=1343110176][/DOUBLEPOST]
For the record, the subtext I'm referring to is not manipulation by bane or anything else that's explicitly stated.

The subtext I read from the film which concerned me was:

Being poor and controlled by terrorists == bad

Being poor and controlled by Commissioner Gordon and Batman == good
This was also one part of the political reading I saw one critic get out of the film; how basically Nolan - a highly-trained European - is criticizing American society for pretty much wanting some manner of pseudo-Fascist dictatorship, bat fetishism optional. I don't know how much credence I'd put into that, though... the film was lousy with political messages anyway.

Though I do admit liking a quote attributed to Michael Caine: "Superman is how America views itself. Batman is how the rest of the world views America." Which is a quite poignant point-of-view, and a bit of a zing, too.

Aaaand now I'll just wait to be told how anti-American I am. Again.

Timmus

Timmus

Agreed. That would have been great.[DOUBLEPOST=1343110176][/DOUBLEPOST]

This was also one part of the political reading I saw one critic get out of the film; how basically Nolan - a highly-trained European - is criticizing American society for pretty much wanting some manner of pseudo-Fascist dictatorship, bat fetishism optional. I don't know how much credence I'd put into that, though... the film was lousy with political messages anyway.

Though I do admit liking a quote attributed to Michael Caine: "Superman is how America views itself. Batman is how the rest of the world views America." Which is a quite poignant point-of-view, and a bit of a zing, too.

Aaaand now I'll just wait to be told how anti-American I am. Again.

America's parents are dead?

Bubble181

Bubble181

America's parents are dead?
The Greater British Empire and the Indians? Yes, pretty much :p

Espy

Espy

I think it's interesting the "political" messages people are taking from the film. Seems like a pretty wide range of stuff people are getting out of it/reading in to it.

Timmus

Timmus

The Greater British Empire and the Indians? Yes, pretty much :p
Does that mean Canada gets to be Alfred?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Does that mean Canada gets to be Alfred?
I'm wondering more who would be Catwoman.

Soliloquy

Frank

Frank

This guy explains how I felt about the political side of the movie much better than I ever could (However, I liked the movie a lot more than he did).

http://exiledonline.com/the-dark-knight-rises-vs-the-99/

Soliloquy

This guy explains how I felt about the political side of the movie much better than I ever could (However, I liked the movie a lot more than he did).

http://exiledonline.com/the-dark-knight-rises-vs-the-99/
You know, those complaints may very well be right on the money as to Nolan's intentions. But...
if Nolan wanted his film to be anti-occupy-wall-street-mentality, I think it would have been much more effective if he had Bane's plan simply be the one that he stated to the people, and had Batman fighting that, instead of going with the "Bane is secretly evil and wants to kill you all" approach. But it's entirely possible he didn't want to go with that kind of moral ambiguity but still wanted to bash OWS.

Besides all that, I have a few issues with the film, even though I loved it.

• Why didn't Bruce Wayne not alert any authorities when he found out someone had blatantly stolen his fingerprints? I can understand not alerting anyone if it was just the theft of his pearls, but if you're a billionaire and you found a clearly skilled thief has blatantly gone out of their way to steal important identity information, how can you not foresee horrible things happening in the immediate future if you don't let anyone know what happened?
  • For that matter, why didn't Bruce Wayne put forward any sort of challenge towards the fraudulent trades made on the very same day that there was a major heist at the stock exchange? Even if he didn't want to hand over the evidence Batman collected, it'd still make a convincing argument.
  • I thought for sure I had a third issue, but I can't for my life think of it. So that's an issue in and of itself, I guess?

Frank

Frank

• Why didn't Bruce Wayne not alert any authorities when he found out someone had blatantly stolen his fingerprints? I can understand not alerting anyone if it was just the theft of his pearls, but if you're a billionaire and you found a clearly skilled thief has blatantly gone out of their way to steal important identity information, how can you not foresee horrible things happening in the immediate future if you don't let anyone know what happened?
  • For that matter, why didn't Bruce Wayne put forward any sort of challenge towards the fraudulent trades made on the very same day that there was a major heist at the stock exchange? Even if he didn't want to hand over the evidence Batman collected, it'd still make a convincing argument.
  • I thought for sure I had a third issue, but I can't for my life think of it. So that's an issue in and of itself, I guess?
Completely agree, all that was silly.

Jay

Jay

Pgv1Y.jpg

Frank

Frank

Another nitpick from my bag of nitpickery that I forgot.

They had video footage of Bane at the stock exchange, why the fuck did Foley still doubt he existed?

Jay

Jay

When Batman got stabbed... and stood there to listen to Talia's 5 minute story while she was gutting him with the knife I couldn't help but go... "so she's stabbing him.... and he sits there to listen to the interesting story? The hell."

Batman then proceeded to jump into the "The Bat" with went ahead to fight his enemy in G-force combat as if the stab would never happened.

Wat.

Batman is no superhero like Superman or Green Lantern... he a guy in a suit with a tool-belt of tech goodies, the reason he's special is because he's human. So while the whole end sequence went on I kept wondering, if I was stabbed in the gut, would I be able to control a Harrier like Jet dodging missiles and shit?

I liked the last movie but it was by far the weakest of the three films.

I was pleasantly surprised with Hathaway's performance but no where close to how I was with Ledger's.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I saw it. It was okay.

• They did such a lazy and poor job with Bane's voice. You could tell the solution they had for people not being able to understand him was to just lay his audio track over EVERY track.
  • I spent most of the movie baffled on the decision making process of every character.
  • Also, at least I know if someone breaks my back I just need to have someone punch my spine and dangle me from a rope before I can climb out of the goddamn Lazarus Pit.
  • The whole Talia thing turned Bane from a mastermind to an extremely buff puppy that was friendzoned with the "Goodbye, Friend." at the end.
  • Shut the front door with that stupid "Oh, your first name is Robin!" thing.

Still, I liked a lot of the fight scenes and Anne Hathaway surprised me.

It's not going to be a movie I would ever buy or go out of my way to see, but it did give enough closure... even if they did spoon feed it to the audience with that ending sequence.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Also, why's it always Florence?

Jay

Jay

Because Florence is awesome.

Ever been?

Jay

Jay

Don't click this if you don't want HUGE BATMAN SPOILERS

VaJ9t.png

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Don't click this if you don't want HUGE BATMAN SPOILERS

I clicked the spoiler, it did not disappoint.

Jay

Jay

I clicked the spoiler, it did not disappoint.
No feedback? You cheap beard.

@Li3n

@Li3n

• Shut the front door with that stupid "Oh, your first name is Robin!" thing.
Yeah, that was so annoying, it felt like they wanted everyone to know who he was instead of just people that are familiar enough to recognize Grayson.

And they kept mentioning the whole "it's an icon" ad nauseam...

Otherwise it was pretty good, even if Hathaway doesn't have the physique for Catwoman, her performance made up for it well.

Oh, and the ending scene in Florence was also too direct...
would have been better if it just showed Selina sitting with someone who's back is turned and then raising her glass at Alfred... worked well in Inception, didn't it.

Silly Rabbit, the Joker doesn't get sent to Blackgate...

EDIT: Almost forgot: CRACKED WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Otherwise it was pretty good, even if Hathaway doesn't have the physique for Catwoman, her performance made up for it well.
I think her physique was just fine, if you know what I mean.

I actually don't know what I mean, but I thought she made a great Selina Kyle.

Jay

Jay

Dem boots.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I was happy that Catwoman was tastefully done (a few bike-butt-shots aside). Hathaway stole the show.

I literally said "Goddamnit" outloud when I was too dumb to realize
who was Talia.
Like, come on.

Espy

Espy

I was happy that Catwoman was tastefully done (a few bike-butt-shots aside). Hathaway stole the show.

I literally said "Goddamnit" outloud when I was too dumb to realize
who was Talia.
Like, come on.
Me too. I almost slapped myself for not getting that. DUMB ME. I love that he included her in the mythology.

Frank

Frank

Otherwise it was pretty good, even if Hathaway doesn't have the physique for Catwoman,

@Li3n

@Li3n

If she was a guy they would totally have had her bulk up for the role...

Right now she's at this Christian Bale stage:

And they made Bane look a lot bigger then in those stills from the set, which made wispy Catwoman stand out more (like RDJ being the perfect physical embodiment of Stark made Don Cheadle look off as Rhodey)...

Plus, i was in no way saying she's not pretty... she's like totally an 8. :problemo:

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still can't believe Bane was played by the Romulan Picard Clone from Nemesis.

Man, that actor is versitile. Watch Bronson once and you'll see how varied his performances are.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And yet they failed... (his first few dialogues where almost as bad as the grumbatmanvoice, but then it got slightly better)

Frank

Frank

I still can't believe Bane was played by the Romulan Picard Clone from Nemesis.

Man, that actor is versitile. Watch Bronson once and you'll see how varied his performances are.
Yeah, his bulking up for Bronson, Warrior and now this has been pretty extreme (and judging by the visible bacne in Warrior and Dark Knight Rises, quite....hmm.....aided by supplements I'll say).

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't mean just physically. That dude knows how to completely shift his personality to fit the role. I'd have to say he's one of the most versatile actors I've seen in a long time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Now he has to put up with this tan line for a while.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Because Florence is awesome.

Ever been?
Only to Milan.

I just find it silly how in a lot of films Florence or Tuscany are represented as places little short of Paradise on Earth for world-weary Americans, where they can spend all day long coming into cozy cafes with fancy waiters and drink diminutive glasses of wine all day long.

Seriously, that's what happens in those films. You go to Florence, go to a café, get a tiny drink. Nothing else.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Only to Milan.

I just find it silly how in a lot of films Florence or Tuscany are represented as places little short of Paradise on Earth for world-weary Americans, where they can spend all day long coming into cozy cafes with fancy waiters and drink diminutive glasses of wine all day long.

Seriously, that's what happens in those films. You go to Florence, go to a café, get a tiny drink. Nothing else.
It's because they have to appeal to the average idiot, and the average idiot knows only few locations outside the US.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Saw the movie, really liked it. Not much I can say, but I did find something funny.

This makes me laugh so much... because...

As soon as the movie started, when Bane starts talking under the black hood, my wife turned to me and whispered "You didn't tell me Sean Connery was in this movie..." I turned back and was like "He's not...." and then they took the hood off. I wanted to laugh so hard because after that I couldn't stop hearing Sean Connery.

Steve

Steve

http://ifanboy.com/articles/trailer-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1/

Not related to the movie but Batman news none the less. Can't wait for this.

Gryfter

Gryfter

http://ifanboy.com/articles/trailer-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1/

Not related to the movie but Batman news none the less. Can't wait for this.
Hmmm not crazy about the voice talent, can't believe they didn't get Cranston to do Jim Gordon again. He was awesome in Year One.

But I will watch it for sure.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, not caring for Peter Weller sleepwalking his way through this. What a shame. It looks fantastic though.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

As long as they don't do Dark Knight Strikes Back, the world is safe.

Jax

Jax

What about The Dark Knight: Ressurection?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dark Knight: Repercussions of Evil.

And then batman was the joker.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, not caring for Peter Weller sleepwalking his way through this. What a shame. It looks fantastic though.
They could've asked Christian Bale :p

Espy

Espy

They could've asked Christian Bale :p
Like Bale's bman voice or not it at least had energy to it rather than sounding like he had a bad case of sinus allergies and just wanted to go back to sleep.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Like Bale's bman voice or not it at least had energy to it rather than sounding like he had a bad case of sinus allergies and just wanted to go back to sleep.
I actually did like his voice, I was joking :p But Robocop as Batman....Well, have we had Cyborg Bat yet? :p

kaykordeath

OK, so a week (or so) behind, as my friend insisted I wait to see it with him, and I insisted we see it in IMAX...

A very good movie, but not without it's flaws.

The thing that stood out to us the most was how fast time progresses in Gotham City. Like day to night coming WAY too soon. The program started at the stock exchange needed 9 minutes. When they left the exchange and started the motorcycle chase, it was mid-day. Bright, sunny. When it's next shown as completing (45 seconds to go) after the chase in the blacking-out tunnel, and the cops are coming after Batman, it's midnight dark! Similarly to the final countdown on the bomb. It seemed to go from late night to sunrise to late morning all within an hour (or 2). Certainly from Gordon's flare (loved the "light it up") in dark to the sunrise (which thematically was necessary for the armies marching on each other) without nearly enough time coming off the bomb clock.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, I forgot to post that I saw it last weekend, and agree with the general consensus. Good flick, not as good as the 2nd one.

GasBandit

GasBandit

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Since it is payday, I have to decide if I am going to get drunk and watch the movie, or watch the movie then get drunk...

drifter

drifter

¿Por que no los dos?

Shakey

Shakey

Bring a flask to the movie. Problem solved.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I really liked the movie. I just wished the theater here would quit blowing their speakers. It was hard to understand most of the voices, then Bane's mask did not help much.

Selina's partner in crime/prostitute friend, looks like she was lifted straight from Year One.

Anne did a better job with the character than I expected.

The high-heel arm pin was - WOW :awesome:

I screwed up by reading Rotten Tomatoes. Since they listed Talia as one of the characters. So I was disappointed by the plot twist of the knife. What did surprise me was that Nolan killed her off, since she is carrying Bruce's child. I was not too surprised about Talia making the climb. Since I knew she was in the film from the start, and who her dad was.

The whole Bane gives a speech, then the good people of Gotham go apeshit and start sacking the whole city seemed like a bit of a stretch.

I wish Blake turned out to be Dick Grayson or Tim Drake... instead of just being named Robin. Or just make that the password to pick up those supplies.

klew

klew

Selina's partner in crime/prostitute friend, looks like she was lifted straight from Year One.
Literally.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

NOT THAT ONE...

Espy

Espy

since she is carrying Bruce's child.
...did I miss that in the movie? When did they say that?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...did I miss that in the movie? When did they say that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Wayne

It is the history of the character.

Espy

Espy

In the comics.
You said it as if they had it in the movie as well and I was like, how the hell did I miss that?

Norris

Norris

You can't just assume that. Especially since about five months passes between the time she and Bruce sleep together and the film's climax. If Nolan had wanted the character to have been pregnant, he would have shown it.

Also, King Snake's gonna be pissed at Batman & Catwoman for killing his son, right? :troll:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The whole Bane gives a speech, then the good people of Gotham go apeshit and start sacking the whole city seemed like a bit of a stretch.
I got the impression that it wasn't so much the good people are the "pissed people". What I understood from before that is that while Gotham no longer really had organized crime, it kind of foundered under its own weight as the rich got richer and the poor got poorer, and so when Bane gave his little speech and blew a hole in the prison, a lot of the more desperate have-nots went ape-shit. Don't forget, in DC land, Gotham has 30M people in it (TDK even mentioned it, I think), so a few hundred poor people who are just pissed off enough to be violent isn't really that improbable

Frank

Frank

Honest to God question (I'm not familiar with DC minutia), are there the real American cities like New York and such in DC? They seem to have a lot of extra nonexistent cities.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Honest to God question (I'm not familiar with DC minutia), are there the real American cities like New York and such in DC? They seem to have a lot of extra nonexistent cities.
Yes the real cities are there, as plot devices. But I don't believe that outside the U.N. and the Capitol that those cities are ever used for hero activity.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Green Arrow's non-fictional home city for a long time was Seattle.

Espy

Espy

Nightwing made his home in New York for awhile.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Nightwing made his home in New York for awhile.
That was post-Infinite Crisis, yes?

Yeah...we don't speak of that.

Norris

Norris

Well, there was that post-Robin, pre-Bludhaven period where he pretty much just lead The Titans. Who were based out of New York City.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought they were always based out of San Francisco for some reason. But then, I'm not greatly read on Titans lore.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Isn't the DC US just bigger than the real one, so all the real cities exist as well as the fake ones?

Norris

Norris

Isn't the DC US just bigger than the real one, so all the real cities exist as well as the fake ones?
According to the questionably-canonical-even-pre-Flashpoint mini-series "JLA/Avengers", the DC Earth is a few miles larger than the Marvel (and, therefore, the real) Earth. This lets them have all their extra major cities and extra countries. As I said though, that might not actually be canon.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Screw Nolan. This is MY Batman.

Jax

Jax

I definitely want me some Bat Ear Plugs

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I saw this in IMAX on Sunday with ThatNickGuy it was good!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So anyone hear that they are trying to get Ben Affleck to direct the JLA movie?

Frank

Frank

He's quite good as a director. I really liked The Town and Argo looks fantastic.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If he does direct, I wonder which hero he will cameo as...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Resurrection Man. So we can see him getting killed over and over. :p

Gusto

Gusto

Ben Affleck as Booster Gold.

PLEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ben Affleck as Booster Gold.

PLEEEEEEEEEEASE.
perfect.

Norris

Norris

Uh, it was confirmed today that he will not be directing the movie. He may have turned it down because, well, he's directed two moody crime thrillers. Big super-hero action is not exactly the logical next step.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Unless, of course, he was to direct a Martian Manhunter movie that's like a film noir, focusing on J'onn's detective role as John Jones.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Good, not great.

Something that really bugged me:

Why did Nolan have it so 8 years had passed? That means that in this continuity, Bruce Wayne was only Batman for the year between the first two movies. That's silly.

The passage of time and the fact that he wasn't Batman for all that time made it seem like the movie had a hard time getting started when it was the end of the trilogy.

Also, the whole cutting off the city/state of anarchy thing... didn't we just do that in the previous movie?

I get the sense that had Ledger not died, we would've gotten a very different third film.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Good, not great.

Something that really bugged me:

Why did Nolan have it so 8 years had passed? That means that in this continuity, Bruce Wayne was only Batman for the year between the first two movies. That's silly.

The passage of time and the fact that he wasn't Batman for all that time made it seem like the movie had a hard time getting started when it was the end of the trilogy.

Also, the whole cutting off the city/state of anarchy thing... didn't we just do that in the previous movie?

I get the sense that had Ledger not died, we would've gotten a very different third film.

Yeah, I'd heard that there would be some passage of time since the last movie, but I assumed it was with him as Batman the whole time. Seems a little silly, as you say, if he was only Batman for a year or so.

As far as the cutting off the city and such, I think it's different. I don't think Joker ever had bombs for the bridges or tunnel. I think that was just him saying, "Well, look at all I've already done. Are you going to just not believe me now?" This is different because Bane just went and blew them up, anyway. Why he didn't just set off the bomb after that, I don't know.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Yeah, I'd heard that there would be some passage of time since the last movie, but I assumed it was with him as Batman the whole time. Seems a little silly, as you say, if he was only Batman for a year or so.

As far as the cutting off the city and such, I think it's different. I don't think Joker ever had bombs for the bridges or tunnel. I think that was just him saying, "Well, look at all I've already done. Are you going to just not believe me now?" This is different because Bane just went and blew them up, anyway. Why he didn't just set off the bomb after that, I don't know.
That's what the whole speech about hope was for. He wanted to give them false hope before ending the city. Five months of hope is a long time, though...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bane really should have read the Evil Overlord list.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Now that I've had a night to get over griping, here are some things I liked:

Though the Talia twist ruined Bane for the movie, it was a great moment.

Blake was a great character.

Anne Hathaway did a fantastic job as Selina Kyle.

I teared up when Alfred was at the Wayne headstones.

Batcycle and "the bat" both operated fluidly and were fun to watch. I think Selina did better with the bike than Batman.

Covar

Covar

Tomasi's post-IC run was good, and the best Nightwing had been since Chuck Dixon left the book. Just saying.

Finally saw the movie last night...meh? Lots of really little stupid things that just dragged down a lot of the movie.

• Casting was great.
  • Fight Scenes were better. Mainly because Nolan didn't feel as much need to put the camera in a paint mixer three inches away from his actors.
  • Wayne Enterprises builds a nuclear reactor (I'm sorry nuclear fusion reactor :eyeroll:) and The US Government is completely unaware?
  • Batman Begins still has the best depiction of Gotham City. Glad to see it was a huge sprawling city again and not just Chicago, but...
  • If you're going to use a New York City to film some of your grand scene setting shots, you think it might be a good idea to cut out the Chrysler building.
  • Bruce is poor due to Bane's stock market escapades. Because the story demands it!
  • Speaking of stupid plot elements have I had Lucius Fox show you my MacGuffin reactor?
  • Stock problems costing your wealth? Well that means we have to take your car the very next day, and shut off your electric immediately, you're broke now after all.
  • "Rich people don't even go broke the same as us," No Selena they don't. They are instantly behind on any payments they have, and lose any tangible assets they own. Until the end of the movie when it's important to show that the character is "dead."
  • I mentioned how Comic Bane is the super genius because he read Detective Comics every month. Movie Bane does not. They do however apparently show screenings of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in the pit. Yes, yes, Talia gave him the information, even the information Ra's never knew, and was only shared between Lucius and Bruce.

Covar

Covar

One more positive.

Now that is how you setup No Mans Land. An actual reason the rest of the country stays out of Gotham beyond "fuck it, it will cost a lot of money and it was a hell hole anyway!" Stupid Earthquake.

Tress

Tress

SPOILERS:

Tress

Tress

Bonus (now with 66% more Bane):

Espy

Espy

Ok, those are hilarious.

Are those the people who used to do the bunny theater stuff?

Tress

Tress

Ok, those are hilarious.

Are those the people who used to do the bunny theater stuff?
No, I don't think so. They do their own thing. If you go here, you can see all their videos. They've done quite a few, and they are consistently funny. I especially enjoyed the ones for Iron Man and Predator.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

This is still one of my favorites from them:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

...I would pay actual money to see that.

Espy

Espy

...I would pay actual money to see that.
I'm pretty sure everyone would.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm pretty sure everyone would.
Let's kickstart that bitch!