[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

Ever since the Fall Creators Update, my laptop would randomly reboot once a day without warning. I'd finally pinned it down to the display driver, but what I didn't realize until just a day or so ago was Windows was constantly reverting back to the original driver that shipped with the machine. I found a registry hack that disabled Windows Update from doing driver updates and reinstalled the current Radeon drivers, so we'll see what happens from here.

Ever since the Fall Creators Update, my laptop would randomly reboot once a day without warning. I'd finally pinned it down to the display driver, but what I didn't realize until just a day or so ago was Windows was constantly reverting back to the original driver that shipped with the machine. I found a registry hack that disabled Windows Update from doing driver updates and reinstalled the current Radeon drivers, so we'll see what happens from here.
I had something similar happen. I updated to the current 17.12 Radeon “Adrenalin” drivers in order to resolve the constant Overwatch hangs, after which I updated the AMD chipset drivers (because they also needed it) and then Overwatch kept hanging and I couldn’t enable Chill. Discovered that after updating my chipset drivers, WinX had “helpfully” reverted me back to 17.7.2 even though I had removed every trace of the old driver from my machine prior to the 17.12 install.

—Patrick

Clearing out the AMD folder the driver install uses fixed the reboot issue, but the driver still got rolled back. Grr...

It's not happening on the desktop. Next attempt will be to remove the hp support assistant and see what that does.

Yeah, when I said I had removed every trace, I meant EVERY trace.
Nope. WinX still went and got it from somewhere online and installed it anyway.

--Patrick

Yeah, I've had three crashes since Saturday when Windows (finally) updated after telling me for a week that it was going to restart outside of high-usage hours. In each case, the error message has been "attempted execute of no execute memory," which a quick Googling tells me is the result of an outdated or bad driver. I'd love to know which one it is, because I haven't added any new hardware to this machine since... 2015?

Eta: Given past performance issues, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Windows is repeatedly reverting my WiFi adapter's driver to a previous version.

Dave

Staff member
Mine has rebooted itself and then gone back to previous install due to failure. Then it tries to update again. I actually like windows 10, but come on, man.

GasBandit

Staff member
We've got a sweet deal here where we are trading space on our broadcast tower for internet access to one of the local wireless internet companies.

Our owner keeps trying to kill the goose that lays golden eggs by trying to figure out if there's a way we can squeeze them for money on top of that. This guy is a small operator, with razor thin margins. If the owner tries to demand money, the ISP is gonna walk away. And that will hurt us a lot here.

figmentPez

Staff member
Amazon Prime isn't playing in HD for me anymore, and it's just giving me a generic error message about how everything needs to be HDCP compliant. It used to work, so I don't know what's failed. Maybe my monitor doesn't support the latest version of HDCP. Fucking bullshit.

Amazon Prime isn't playing in HD for me anymore, and it's just giving me a generic error message about how everything needs to be HDCP compliant. It used to work, so I don't know what's failed. Maybe my monitor doesn't support the latest version of HDCP. Fucking bullshit.
check your connections, im not joking, I had issues with HDCP for 6 months before I checked that one of my cables was slightly loose, it drove me nuts!

GasBandit

Staff member
HDCP makes me want to tear off people's skin using only my eyeteeth. Fuckin copyright gestapo that does absolutely nothing to stop actual piracy, just treats paying customers like felons. Put em all in an extruder and make asshole paste.

HDCP makes me want to tear off people's skin using only my eyeteeth. Fuckin copyright gestapo that does absolutely nothing to stop actual piracy, just treats paying customers like felons. Put em all in an extruder and make asshole paste.
You sound more and more like George Carlin every day.
And yes, once every DRM gets broken like two weeks after it is introduced, they should be like, "Welp guess that's a really dumb idea."

--Patrick

I swapped the hackintosh and the primary desktop as a test run for when I move the PC to the new place and hook up to the Roku TV. Connected to a 40" Samsung SmarTV via HDMI or HDMI through a DVI adapter, both work fine. The hackintosh connected to the HDMI port of the upstairs LG monitor does not. Not even the Dell startup screen which should have nothing to do with the OS installed. I tested with my laptop through the HDMI port, and that worked fine.

Thoughts?

What video ports does the hackintosh sport? Is there a video port on the motherboard? Does the video card have several ports?

Check the other ports on the LG - it's possible that the different HDMI ports run older or newer versions of HDMI, which can sometimes cause incompatibility problems.

Check the HDMI cable - are you using the same one between the two TVS? MArginal HDMI cables will work in one situation and won't work in others.

It's baaaaaaaaaack.... I've been forced to reboot my computer seven times today. Each and every time, Windows rolls back my Nvidia driver to a non-functional Microsoft driver, and something else happens which causes MalwareBytes to seem to think that Windows is attacking it, because Real Time protection warnings start popping off and the RAM consumption hits 2.5GB or higher. Is there any distro of linux that's actually useful? I'm so fucking fed up with this Microsoft bullshit.

Is there any distro of linux that's actually useful?
In order to properly answer this question, you will need to detail everything you need to use your computer for, and then narrow your search to only those distros that can do all of those things.

—Patrick

In order to properly answer this question, you will need to detail everything you need to use your computer for, and then narrow your search to only those distros that can do all of those things.

—Patrick
Yeah... therein lies the problem, I suppose. Actually, the biggest issue is probably going to be game/Steam compatibility - but since I can barely play Steam games now, because Windows keeps uninstalling my video card driver and giving me one that doesn't support DirectX 9.0x and Direct3D <shrug>. All I realistically need a computer to be able to do is browse the internet with multiple tabs open at a time; run a word processor and spreadsheet app (doesn't need to be word and excel, just compatible), and support paint.net or something similar and notepad++ or similar. And Steam. Right now I can play Steam games, but I cannot have my actual Nvidia drivers.

Edit: Or, I suppose I could look around for a copy of Windows 7 that fell off the back of someone's 3D printed truck and Microsoft could censored my censored.

giving me one that doesn't support DirectX 9.0x and Direct3D
I recommend windows 7. I'm still using it at home and work and have dodged SO many issues because of it.
AMD was having the same problems with DX9 and such. But their v18.1.1 drivers say they have fixed things so DX9/D3D work again (I haven't personally tested yet).
HOWEVER the new drivers are only available for Win7 and WinX, it's almost like Microsoft and everyone else want to forget Win8/8.1 even exist, and if you're not running 7 they expect you to go straight to 10.

--Patrick

I’ll try to install the new amd drivers and see if they get rolled back like the others.

What’s really annoying about it is the sudden and unannounced rebooting when it messes with the video driver. Only happens once per session, but there’s no predicting it during normal use.

That's the thing that got me. I didn't start having this problem when I rebooted my computer. I had to start rebooting my computer because this started happening. I was in the middle of a game (a boring one, to be sure, but a game), when everything just froze completely, Malwarebytes started eating RAM like it was going out of style (seriously, it had hit 3.6GB by the time I killed it). The only way I was able to end the cycle of madness was to

1. Physically disconnect my computer from the internet connection in my house.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Get into Task Manager as quickly as possible - this was no small task given everything that launches on startup.
  4. Kill Superfetch (which has been disabled) and "Malwarebytes service" (which causes the protection center to prompt me to turn real time protection back on)
  5. Reconnect to the internet.
  6. Monitor immediately goes to black screen with revolving circle of dots, then comes back to my desktop background five or ten minutes later with an error message that my driver crashed.
  7. Check device manager, and sure enough, the driver installed for my 750 Ti card is from Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.
  8. Open GeForce Experience and reinstall the latest Game Ready driver. Final step of installation requires me to reboot.
  9. Goto step 2.
Eventually I gave up trying to reinstall the appropriate drivers for my hardware, and have just settled for having really shitty graphics in all of my games.

This is the point where I'd start uninstalling things. Malwarebytes, do a clean sweep and remove of all NVIDIA drivers, etc, then see if it still happens. If not, start adding 'em back in one at a time.

Tedious, though.

--Patrick

This is the point where I'd start uninstalling things. Malwarebytes, do a clean sweep and remove of all NVIDIA drivers, etc, then see if it still happens. If not, start adding 'em back in one at a time.

Tedious, though.

--Patrick
I may just do a fresh install back to out of the box on the laptop and start over.

Ah ha! MWB pushed an update yesterday that broke their software. There's a correction out now, but boy did they fuck up.

Ah ha! MWB pushed an update yesterday that broke their software. There's a correction out now, but boy did they fuck up.
Actually, it looks like this could be a really bad one on MB's part. They have an updated patch out now that will correct the issue, but part of the software they were patching yesterday was apparently the Web Protection portion, and it cut off access to the internet for any computer on a 172.x.x.x IP range. There are a lot of really angry IT managers in the forums over there talking about how they got to spend their Saturdays driving to PCs' physical locations to uninstall MB so they could connect to the internet again.

Been having the occasional boot failure or Destiny reporting a corrupt file (1 or 2 times ea/mo) and last night finally isolated this to what is most likely bad RAM. One quick trip to memtest.org later, and yep, it’s RAM. Now I’m gonna have to isolate which stick is bad (assuming they aren’t BOTH bad) and run on half my RAM (“only” 8GB) until I do the RMA thing with a stick of memory I just bought 2 years ago.

—Patrick

It used to be much easier to discover which stick is bad before dual and triple channel memory.

Consider putting them both in the same channel and doing memtest, that should help you figure out which one is bad, if it's not both.

But if they're the same part from the same batch, chances are good they're both marginal, and you'd be better off replacing both.

It used to be much easier to discover which stick is bad before dual and triple channel memory.
Consider putting them both in the same channel and doing memtest, that should help you figure out which one is bad, if it's not both.
But if they're the same part from the same batch, chances are good they're both marginal, and you'd be better off replacing both.
They’re already on the same channel, and it looks like only the lower region is bad, and memtest86+ shows which slot is which region, so I might already know, but since there are only two sticks it’s not like I can’t remove one and rerun the test one more time. If it passes, it’s the one I removed. If it fails, then I have to swap sticks and run a third time to make sure they aren’t both failing.
They ARE both the same part, but I don’t know if they’re from the same batch. They’re top-tier memory, though (Corsair), so I expect the company will stand behind them. We’ll find out when I contact them tomorrow, though.

Failing everything else, I have 6 4GB and 2 8GB sticks I can “borrow” from another computer I’m not using to get by if I need to.

—Patrick

Weird.

So I've pulled one stick for testing, and while running a single stick, my RAM transfer speed has doubled...from 4.1GB/s to 8.1GB/s. And it doesn't matter whether I use the good stick or the bad stick, it's still 8GB/s. Huh.

Well, at least now I know which stick is the bad one.

--Patrick

Even weirder, the RAM is actually running at a slower speed than stock, yet the transfer rate is still double.
And I thought I understood computers. Hah!

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Even weirder, the RAM is actually running at a slower speed than stock, yet the transfer rate is still double.
And I thought I understood computers. Hah!
I was about to wonder if it was your northbridge that was having trouble, not the RAM. Then I remembered that motherboards don't have north and south chips anymore. Are memory controllers built into the processor now? I haven't kept up on the details.