[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

GasBandit

Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth
Staff member
And sites that block me for using ad blockers make me want to spend extra at their competition out of spite.
Try AdNauseam. It fools the websites into thinking you're loading and clicking the ads. It even works on Forbes, which as Pez says below, is one of the worst offenders.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth
Staff member
Does it run the javascript from the ad? If so, it still puts you at risk for malware and coin mining ads.
I'm not 100% on this, because the dev faq is a skosh deep for my casual blood, but the way I understand it, the sandbox only keeps static image ads in its "collection," and discards video/animated/dynamically generated ads. It doesn't actually load or run embedded code in ads, it just downloads the data, and then depends on the html tag/iframe for instructions on how to report the ad "clicked." If the info is in the ad's JS, then it doesn't, because it discards any ad that is not a static image as soon as it is downloaded (and it only keeps the images so it can build you a smug mosaic cloud of all the ads you didn't have to see, thanks to it). At least that is my understanding.

PatrThom

Genuinely Curious
Windows10: "Hey I couldn't find the exact driver for that printer you just connected, but I didn't put up an error message because I found a bunch of other drivers from the same manufacturer so I just picked one of those at random for you."
Me: "NOT HELPING"

--Patrick

Windows10: "Hey I couldn't find the exact driver for that printer you just connected, but I didn't put up an error message because I found a bunch of other drivers from the same manufacturer so I just picked one of those at random for you."
Me: "NOT HELPING"

--Patrick
I finally managed to get an Nvidia driver installed and active, and now every day I get a notification from Windows 10 that it can't install some random update and needs my help to allow it to start reinstalling drivers for me, but it can get bent.

Oh my god, I am so glad I don't work for my wife's company anymore (yeah, I used to, long ago, before the most recent two acquisitions). My wife's work laptop was experiencing problems with mail merge and Skype. The IT department was supposed to REPAIR the installation of Office 2013. They uninstalled it. Now they don't know how to reinstall it (actually, they literally told her they can't find an installer, she told them to try microsoft.com and they wouldn't believe her). So they're going to escalate it to the engineering group, who is expected to call her on her cell phone sometime in the next 48 hours to do the install. Morons. Sure is a good thing that this isn't the same group that they just outsourced all of their contract renewal support to.

Nah, I'm just kidding, it's totally the same group they just outsourced all of their contract renewal support to.

jwhouk

Wisconsinite No Longer
So... anyone know how the refund thing works on Steam?

I downloaded Virtual SlotCars via the Steam client - only to find out that it requires a graphics card for OpenGL 3.3. Mine only supports OpenGL 3.1.

So... anyone know how the refund thing works on Steam?

I downloaded Virtual SlotCars via the Steam client - only to find out that it requires a graphics card for OpenGL 3.3. Mine only supports OpenGL 3.1.
If you haven't spent 2 hours or more playing the game*, you should be entitled to a refund, no questions asked. I believe it's through the Support area, but it's been ages since I've needed one.

*At one point, I want to say it was that game and any others purchased during the same transaction, but I cannot confirm this.

figmentPez

Cosplay Czar
Staff member
I got the refund. That just seemed like a really odd thing to require for a game...
Especially since it's built on a game engine that they made themselves, and the graphics are nothing to write home about.

Although, I'm also surprised that your system doesn't support it. Since even Intel graphics have supported OpenGL 4.0 since 2013.

Oh my god, I am so glad I don't work for my wife's company anymore (yeah, I used to, long ago, before the most recent two acquisitions). My wife's work laptop was experiencing problems with mail merge and Skype. The IT department was supposed to REPAIR the installation of Office 2013. They uninstalled it. Now they don't know how to reinstall it (actually, they literally told her they can't find an installer, she told them to try microsoft.com and they wouldn't believe her). So they're going to escalate it to the engineering group, who is expected to call her on her cell phone sometime in the next 48 hours to do the install. Morons. Sure is a good thing that this isn't the same group that they just outsourced all of their contract renewal support to.

Nah, I'm just kidding, it's totally the same group they just outsourced all of their contract renewal support to.
Ha! You know why the IT guy couldn't find an installer? Because it was already set up to automatically reinstall - it just takes several hours.