[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Dave

Staff member
Mr Robot is the fucking best show on right now. This weeks episode was intense.
I tried watching that show. I got through about 5 episodes and just went, "You know, I don't care what happens to these people." and I stopped watching.

I got into an argument with a guy this week. Star Wars writers are lazy as fuck. Why are Jawas on this planet? Aren't they native to Tatooine? Or if not, why are they ON Tatooine?

Reason? Because the writers are lazy. Hey, people know these things! Let's use them in this scene because who gives a shit? And yes, I know that humans are everywhere as well, but that's mostly because of casting.

Don't even get me started on
that is not a baby Yoda. Yoda is not a race. Yoda is a person. And you'd think a race that this innately force sensitive would be very, VERY powerful. And you'd think we'd know of more than just the one. Again, lazy writing.
There was a second of Yoda's species on the Jedi Council, named Yaddle I think. Going from the timeline this is set at, this could be Yoda & Yaddle's love child.

I tried watching that show. I got through about 5 episodes and just went, "You know, I don't care what happens to these people." and I stopped watching.
It’s not for everyone, but it’s worth giving it another watch. Season 2 is iffy, but other than that it’s been pretty great.

figmentPez

Staff member
I watched Limitless, not realizing it never got a second season. Well, it was fun while it lasted. More fun than it was good. Overall, I recommend it if you know going in that it's just a one season thing.

Good concept, fun characters, and they really had fun with episode themes. The science sucked, though. "Synesthesia is when people see smells as colors!" No, that's a gross oversimplification. "The singularity is when humans will upload their consciousness into computers!" Again, NO, that's a dumb and wrong summary of the concept. Bad science aside, I enjoyed the show.

So, the Manadalorian continues to be ok, nothing great, but not a waste of time either. The thing I like most is that the Empire is in a wretched remnant state of petty warlords trying to hold on to power. That's way more interesting than The First Order. The First Order fucking sucks. SUDDENLY, WE HAVE MORE BIGGER STUFF THAN THE EMPIRE!

So, the Manadalorian continues to be ok, nothing great, but not a waste of time either. The thing I like most is that the Empire is in a wretched remnant state of petty warlords trying to hold on to power. That's way more interesting than The First Order. The First Order fucking sucks. SUDDENLY, WE HAVE MORE BIGGER STUFF THAN THE EMPIRE!
Mandalorian is about 5 years after Jedi, and about 25 years before Force Awakens, thats plenty of time to build stuff from some probably more organized parts of the former Empire.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the official term for what the empire is at this point is "Imperial Remnant." But that may have also gone away with the jettisoning of the EU.

Mandalorian is about 5 years after Jedi, and about 25 years before Force Awakens, thats plenty of time to build stuff from some probably more organized parts of the former Empire.
25 years is NOT enough time to rebuild and empire and mobilize enough manpower to build the Starkiller. That thing was so dumb.

25 years is NOT enough time to rebuild and empire and mobilize enough manpower to build the Starkiller. That thing was so dumb.
I basically assumed it was a Dark Project for the Empire along the lines of the Death Star: something the Alliance didn't know about and thus didn't dismantle after the war. That's really the only explanation there is for it, unless that planet already had natural features they could exploit to actually build the damn thing on a short time table.

So I read up... apparently this thing was being built by the Empire right after the end of the war (so about 5 years after Endor). That gives them -29 years- to build it before the events of The Force Awakens. If the Death Star took them 20 years to build from scratch, they could certainly just modify a planet to do damn near the same thing in 29, considering the scope of the technology available.

Getting into the last season of Dark Matter. This show had potential but it's just so messy. Like it must be part of that "every episode raises more questions than it answers" era of TV like Lost and Heroes.

I like the Android though. She's funny.

Been watching the Mandalorian. Hiding all behind a spoiler tag, because Mandalorian spoilers. I searched to see if anyone else had brought this up, but I didn't find anything.
So, the Mandalorian is promised a "camtono" of beskar steel for delivering the yodling. In episode 3, he gets it. What's a camtono? It's this:

Where have we seen this before? Empire Strikes Back.

Dubbed the "ice cream guy" because the thing he's carrying looks to be a Hamilton Beach ice cream maker. This guy is making a mad dash to safety after Imperial forces invade Cloud City, saving his--ice cream maker.

The absurdity of it has inspired cosplayers and they have an annual "ice cream run.

That would be easter-eggy enough--but, lets dig deeper into the rabbit hole. Why is it called a camtono?

That's one mighty easter egg.

Last edited:
Been watching the Mandalorian. Hiding all behind a spoiler tag, because Mandalorian spoilers. I searched to see if anyone else had brought this up, but I didn't find anything.
So, the Mandalorian is promised a "camtono" of beskar steel for delivering the yodling. In episode 3, he gets it. What's a camtono? It's this:

Where have we seen this before? Empire Strikes Back.

Dubbed the "ice cream guy" because the thing he's carrying looks to be a Hamilton Beach ice cream maker. This guy is making a mad dash to safety after Imperial forces invade Cloud City, saving his--ice cream maker.

The absurdity of it has inspired cosplayers and they have an annual "ice cream run.

That would be easter-eggy enough--but, lets dig deeper into the rabbit hole. Why is it called a camtono?

That's one mighty easter egg.
There's a whole mythology behind that guy. He basically saved the Rebellion when he saved that camtono. He's even got an action figure!

I think my favourite part is the couple of goons online who were trumpeting the Mandalorian as the anti-SJW show, now screeching about how the show is now SJW central.

Them missing the fact that the fucking show is a fucking western and the widow who's had to take up the man's work is as old a trope as the genre westerns is incredible.

JESUS CHRIST.

GUYS, it's a fucking western. He's the man with no name. He mosies in, does some shit and mosies out. IT'S A FUUUUUCKING WEEEEEESTERN.

I can't head this song without thinking about Stand By Me.

I think my favourite part is the couple of goons online who were trumpeting the Mandalorian as the anti-SJW show, now screeching about how the show is now SJW central.

Them missing the fact that the fucking show is a fucking western and the widow who's had to take up the man's work is as old a trope as the genre westerns is incredible.

JESUS CHRIST.

GUYS, it's a fucking western. He's the man with no name. He mosies in, does some shit and mosies out. IT'S A FUUUUUCKING WEEEEEESTERN.
I assume you're talking about the widd'r with the gun(or maybe the shock trooper, too), but, and I know I've rhetorically asked this before, but what movie series HAVE these trolls been watching? Leia has been pretty handy with a blaster since the first friggin' movie. Her whole "rescue" turned into, "Nah, I got this, short not-Obi-Wan. You just unlocked the door." If that's the big threatening sign of an "SJW" they really should be watching something else for the past 40+ years. I swear to god, that bikini has caused more character assassination than all of the prequels.

Better not remind them that 50% of the episodes released so far have been directed by women. They'd lose their damn minds.

I can't head this song without thinking about Stand By Me.

I assume you're talking about the widd'r with the gun(or maybe the shock trooper, too), but, and I know I've rhetorically asked this before, but what movie series HAVE these trolls been watching? Leia has been pretty handy with a blaster since the first friggin' movie. Her whole "rescue" turned into, "Nah, I got this, short not-Obi-Wan. You just unlocked the door." If that's the big threatening sign of an "SJW" they really should be watching something else for the past 40+ years. I swear to god, that bikini has caused more character assassination than all of the prequels.

Better not remind them that 50% of the episodes released so far have been directed by women. They'd lose their damn minds.

Conservative twitter: *posts pictures of women in bikinis with assault rifles* Real women shoot!

Also conservative twitter: REEEEEEEE woman with a gun in my star wars!

Conservative twitter: *posts pictures of women in bikinis with assault rifles* Real women shoot!

Also conservative twitter: REEEEEEEE woman with a gun in my star wars!
You could shorten it to just "wamman in mah star warz"

Anyway, wife and I saw the first two episodes of The Boys. Kinda whatever. Probably keep watching it but if it's on in the background while I do stuff that's fine too.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm watching season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and, as an actor, episode 7 feels like a kick in the stomach. So much so I don't have it in me to explain, even in spoiler tags. This show is damn good.

(I hope this doesn't get lost in the transfer)

Has anyone else been watching Crisis on Infinite Earths? It's been moving at a break-neck pace, and slightly hindered by CW-budget effects, but damn if it isn't packed with so many easter eggs and tributes to everything DC has ever put on the big or small screen. To me, that makes up for the other flaws. HOWEVER, they seem to be omitting one very important part:
Where's Wonder Woman, CW?! You've gotten Lynda Carter to show up on Supergirl, I know you have her number!

Rescued from the latest forum hiccup:
phil said:
Kinda slogging through Star Trek Discovery.

Like, I was amped for this show at first but things just...don't make any sense? Like....any sense. it's nuts.
PatrThom said:
Some of it makes sense later, some of it I’m sure is just “because we can” eye candy.
I’m not current any more, but I got the impression that they’re still making some of it up as they go along.

—Patrick
figmentPez said:
One of the realistic things that TMMM does is show performers bombing on stage, even characters who the audience knows are good and have been show killing it before. Bombing is not easy to watch, but this episode went beyond just failure.

Spoilers for s03e07
One of the plot lines this season has famous comedienne Sophie Lennon attempting to defy her comedy reputation and become a serious Broadway actress. Producers laugh at the idea, co-stars have to be talked into working with her, but what really hits is her own self-doubt and fears of failure. Rehearsals go well, but then comes opening night, and things go minorly wrong, which shakes Sophie and she starts flubbing. When she gets laughter at the wrong time, she does a full regression into the comedic character she's famous for, and turns the show into a farce that's just another one of her stand-up routines.

As an actor I've been glad to have a wide variety of roles to play, though it is just at a community college level. As a person, I understand all too well falling back into old habits, and doing what feels safe in the face of adversity. Seeing Sophie panic and make her own performance into a joke, and knowing that she just shot down her best chance at being a serious actress, hit me on multiple levels, and it's just one example of how good TMMM is at writing complex characters, and using it's jokes to tell a deep story.
sixpackshaker said:
The Arrowverse Crisis has been pretty good so far.
Celt Z said:
Dammit, the update ate my post! [ed: or not, see above]

Trying again: Is anyone else (obviously @sixpackshaker) watching Crisis on Infinite Earths? The plots are moving at a break-neck speed and the effects are CW budget, but damn do they pack in a lot of easter eggs! Seeing all the stuff from almost every DC big-and-small screen outting has made the flaws easy to over-look, except for one glaring omission:
Where is Wonder Woman?! Lynda Carter was recently on Supergirl, so I know you have her number, CW!

And regarding last night:
Ahhh! That ending! I can't tell if I'm more upset because they really made Cryer's Luthor that big an egotistical asshole, or how much I still like Routh's Superman. Both of them do so well in their roles.

(I hope this doesn't get lost in the transfer)

Has anyone else been watching Crisis on Infinite Earths? It's been moving at a break-neck pace, and slightly hindered by CW-budget effects, but damn if it isn't packed with so many easter eggs and tributes to everything DC has ever put on the big or small screen. To me, that makes up for the other flaws. HOWEVER, they seem to be omitting one very important part:
Where's Wonder Woman, CW?! You've gotten Lynda Carter to show up on Supergirl, I know you have her number!
I'm worried that it won't happen because of Warner Brothers being weird about allowing some of their characters to be used in multiple places concurrently.

There's a few other omissions that might be being hit by the same issue:

Mark Hamill as the Joker. Tara Strong as one of several options. Aquaman.

As for special effects, there's a great little detail in that not all of the heat vision looks the same.

figmentPez

Staff member
I haven't seen any of Crisis (yet, I'm still catching up) but I did read some spoilers, and I'm really happy that:

Lucifer makes an apperance. I love that stupid show, and I'm so glad it got to be part of the event, even in a very small way.

Well, I don't usually rip through TV shows like that, but Gat damn do I love the Expanse.

I'm a little bummed

My favourite Belter pirate eats it hard in the last episode. I'll miss you Ashford.

I'm a little bummed

My favourite Belter pirate eats it hard in the last episode. I'll miss you Ashford.
You know, that was my 1 complaint about this season.

Why wouldn't Ashford just shoot Marcos anyway, or at least try, even though the kid had the drop on him, since he was dead either way.

And where was his ship that they could space him in peace without worrying about it?