[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I may have just finished plowing through the first two seasons of THE GOOD PLACE. I watched an episode here and there since Friday, then binged all of season 2 just today. I can't help it.

And of course, Season 3 isn't on Netflix right now. It's coming in a few weeks, but I'm not sure if I can wait.

In an ironic twist, I'm debating the morals of "legally obtaining" season 3 or actually finding somewhere to actually, legally watch it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been watching Designated Survivor and the first season was pretty enjoyable. It felt very contrived at points, but it was still fun.

Season 2, however....

<SNIP>

This show has no idea what to do when it's not weaving conspiracy theories.
A few episodes into season 3 and I'm giving up. The writers realized they can have characters say "fuck" and it's now their favorite word. I'm not against using such language, but I'm definitely against bad writing trying to fake characters being real by having them suddenly start swearing like drunken sailors.

They also keep introducing more and more characters who are complete assholes, and have being unlikeable as their defining character trait. If I wanted to watch a show about people being dicks to each other, I'd watch Archer.

I read Nick's post, then Pez's but took Pez talking about season 3 as though he was talking about The Good Place. Mentioning everyone constantly saying fuck made me SUPER curious what kind of show The Good Place becomes.

I read Nick's post, then Pez's but took Pez talking about season 3 as though he was talking about The Good Place. Mentioning everyone constantly saying fuck made me SUPER curious what kind of show The Good Place becomes.
I'd watch it.

Dark Crystal on Netflix is FUCKING AWESOME.

Exactly what a prequel should be. IT'S OWN FUCKING STORY.

Rogue One and Solo - CHECKLIST OF DO YOU REMEMBER THIS'S?

Dark Crystal - IT'S OWN FUCKING STORY

Dave

Staff member
Rogue One was - for the most part - really good. It had a couple of terrible and unnecessary callbacks, but when it stuck to the main story it was fine.

I liked Rogue One and Force Awakens. I think Last Jedi gets a bad rep - there's plenty of good in there alongside some unnecessary crap, but that's true for all SW movies. I didn't care for Solo at all.

Dark Crystal on Netflix is FUCKING AWESOME.

Exactly what a prequel should be. IT'S OWN FUCKING STORY.

Rogue One and Solo - CHECKLIST OF DO YOU REMEMBER THIS'S?

Dark Crystal - IT'S OWN FUCKING STORY
I feel like this is the one prequel that's going to make its source even more satisfying.

fade

Staff member
Dark

This show is frankly awesome. Do yourself a favor and watch it. It has a Stranger Things feel to it if you like that sort of thing, but the narrative is better. It's about a small town and time travel that can connect every 33 years. I can't say much more than that without spoiling.

One thing I love is the genre saavy the show has.
Characters who travel unwillingly catch on immediately instead of spending episodes in an artificial haze about what's going on. Most of the main characters figure out what's happening before long, too. Also they catch on pretty quick to the concept that if you try to change something, you've always tried to change that, so nothing changes. That level of knowledge on the part of the characters is very interesting to me.

Season 2 of Titans starts off with a BANG, with an episode that...honestly feels more like a season finale, than the actual season 1 finale if I'm real.

Dark

This show is frankly awesome. Do yourself a favor and watch it. It has a Stranger Things feel to it if you like that sort of thing, but the narrative is better. It's about a small town and time travel that can connect every 33 years. I can't say much more than that without spoiling.

One thing I love is the genre saavy the show has.
Characters who travel unwillingly catch on immediately instead of spending episodes in an artificial haze about what's going on. Most of the main characters figure out what's happening before long, too. Also they catch on pretty quick to the concept that if you try to change something, you've always tried to change that, so nothing changes. That level of knowledge on the part of the characters is very interesting to me.
Seconding how good Dark is.

Season 2 of Titans starts off with a BANG, with an episode that...honestly feels more like a season finale, than the actual season 1 finale if I'm real.
Ha, yeah, that’s exactly what it felt like. (Huh, internet says it actually was the original Season 1 Finale and got moved to Season 2 for... reasons?)

Not sure how I feel about the portrayal of Bruce. He just didn’t give me a Batman vibe.

I hope Donna and Hawk & Dove continue to make appearances, even if they’re not full-time Titans anymore. Looking forward to Krypto! (and Superboy)

Also, we need another crossover with Doom Patrol.

Ha, yeah, that’s exactly what it felt like. (Huh, internet says it actually was the original Season 1 Finale and got moved to Season 2 for... reasons?)

Not sure how I feel about the portrayal of Bruce. He just didn’t give me a Batman vibe.

I hope Donna and Hawk & Dove continue to make appearances, even if they’re not full-time Titans anymore. Looking forward to Krypto! (and Superboy)

Also, we need another crossover with Doom Patrol.
I freaking KNEW IT! Like what, for the cliff hanger? Because the thing with-
-Slade felt like cliffhanger enough, especially with the introduction scene for Titans tower.

And I don't know, I think Bruce's actor is all right. Plus its just nice seeing an older Bruce for once, the comics just seem to be afraid of having him age...well...him and literally EVERY other adult superhero. Yet for kid superheroes, they age them up to fast, weird dichotomy.

AGREED, especially since I think their implying that they, as well as the other OG Titans were involved in the death of Deathstroke's son Grant ala New Teen Titans. Also looking forward to Conner and Krypto as well, plus Donna and Korey kicking ass.

AND double agreed, possibly have a scene where Beast Boy is all "...is it me or does the Chief look different?"

Just finished Dark Crystal AoR and damn; that was excellent! Outstanding story that builds beautifully on what we knew from the movie. I waited till finishing it to look at the credits and who all provided the voices. Some were easily recognizable but there were some surprises in there as well as stand out performances.

I highly recomend it and can't wait for more.

Ken Burns' Country Music is pretty dang swell. Just the highest quality. Also it has Merle Haggard's last interview. He had encyclopedic knowledge of country music.

I freaking KNEW IT! Like what, for the cliff hanger? Because the thing with-
-Slade felt like cliffhanger enough, especially with the introduction scene for Titans tower.

And I don't know, I think Bruce's actor is all right. Plus its just nice seeing an older Bruce for once, the comics just seem to be afraid of having him age...well...him and literally EVERY other adult superhero. Yet for kid superheroes, they age them up to fast, weird dichotomy.

AGREED, especially since I think their implying that they, as well as the other OG Titans were involved in the death of Deathstroke's son Grant ala New Teen Titans. Also looking forward to Conner and Krypto as well, plus Donna and Korey kicking ass.

AND double agreed, possibly have a scene where Beast Boy is all "...is it me or does the Chief look different?"
The real Season 2 premier of Titans.

I was definitely happier with Bruce in this episode. He just seemed more “Bruce/Batman”. I think the last episode, he just came across as “generic businessman”. He seemed to have more fatherly chemistry with Dick this time, maybe because the actors had more time to get to know each other between seasons?

I would watch a spin-off series of just Donna and Kory fighting crime. I was really afraid the writers were going to be lazy and make them not like each other for the drama, but they are friends and work great together.

Seemed kind of risky for Dick to bring Rose back to the tower, not knowing anything about her? At least Jason and Gar figured out who she was by the end of the episode, so that won’t be dragged out.

Lots going on already with Deathstroke, Dr. Light, and Kory being abducted by her people. And we still have Superboy showing up at some point.

The real Season 2 premier of Titans.

I was definitely happier with Bruce in this episode. He just seemed more “Bruce/Batman”. I think the last episode, he just came across as “generic businessman”. He seemed to have more fatherly chemistry with Dick this time, maybe because the actors had more time to get to know each other between seasons?

I would watch a spin-off series of just Donna and Kory fighting crime. I was really afraid the writers were going to be lazy and make them not like each other for the drama, but they are friends and work great together.

Seemed kind of risky for Dick to bring Rose back to the tower, not knowing anything about her? At least Jason and Gar figured out who she was by the end of the episode, so that won’t be dragged out.

Lots going on already with Deathstroke, Dr. Light, and Kory being abducted by her people. And we still have Superboy showing up at some point.
I'm betting the actors getting to know each other helped, yeah.

ALSO mad agree on not dragging out Rose's identity, most likely because this show only has 13 episodes but it works story wise.

And I'm LOVING Dr.Light, SO creepy!

GasBandit

Staff member
A week or two ago somebody at work recommended the new Dave Chappelle netflix comedy special to me, with enough enthusiasm that I was eager. I liked the previous two, but never had time to get around to watching the latest one, "Sticks and Stones." So, here I am with a week off, visiting family in Albuquerque, so I suggested we watch the new one.

Wow. Talk about a way to clear out a room. Nobody liked it. I mean, I laughed a couple times, but mostly it was painful to watch. Dave spent almost the whole special punching down at the LGBTQ community. One by one, everybody else just went to bed in the middle of it. I stayed through the whole thing, waiting, hoping, just for a taste of the comedy genius that had me in stitches in the previous two specials (and the Chappelle Show previous to that)... but it just never materialized. I came out of it feeling embarrassed to have foisted it on others.

Look, I get being non-PC. I LIKE being non-PC. So, when *I'm* the one finding this offensive, there's probably a problem. It's like Dave completely ran out of fucks to give, and not in the good way that people normally mean when they say that. I mean, I get it, yes, it's crappy how a lot of people in the last couple years have had their careers scuttled by a (comparatively harmless) gay joke they made in the early 90s, but jeez, man... did that really mean it was appropriate to do a mean-spirited "I don't give a fuck" monologue about the LGBTQ that even a conservative, white, straight, cis-het male found to be excessive?

I guess since this was the third and final special of his contract with netflix, maybe Chappelle decided to just air out everything that was bothering him, with only the thinnest, powder-dusting of comedic coating. It's safe to give this one a miss, you guys.

A week or two ago somebody at work recommended the new Dave Chappelle netflix comedy special to me, with enough enthusiasm that I was eager. I liked the previous two, but never had time to get around to watching the latest one, "Sticks and Stones." So, here I am with a week off, visiting family in Albuquerque, so I suggested we watch the new one.

Wow. Talk about a way to clear out a room. Nobody liked it. I mean, I laughed a couple times, but mostly it was painful to watch. Dave spent almost the whole special punching down at the LGBTQ community. One by one, everybody else just went to bed in the middle of it. I stayed through the whole thing, waiting, hoping, just for a taste of the comedy genius that had me in stitches in the previous two specials (and the Chappelle Show previous to that)... but it just never materialized. I came out of it feeling embarrassed to have foisted it on others.

Look, I get being non-PC. I LIKE being non-PC. So, when *I'm* the one finding this offensive, there's probably a problem. It's like Dave completely ran out of fucks to give, and not in the good way that people normally mean when they say that. I mean, I get it, yes, it's crappy how a lot of people in the last couple years have had their careers scuttled by a (comparatively harmless) gay joke they made in the early 90s, but jeez, man... did that really mean it was appropriate to do a mean-spirited "I don't give a fuck" monologue about the LGBTQ that even a conservative, white, straight, cis-het male found to be excessive?

I guess since this was the third and final special of his contract with netflix, maybe Chappelle decided to just air out everything that was bothering him, with only the thinnest, powder-dusting of comedic coating. It's safe to give this one a miss, you guys.
The punching down was really disheartening, and it's drawn the spiteful crowd to pretend it's the best comedy special ever because fuck those fragile libtard feelings, that's why.

The punching down was really disheartening, and it's drawn the spiteful crowd to pretend it's the best comedy special ever because fuck those fragile libtard feelings, that's why.
its all really sad. as I feel like all of this spite for each other is just those in power trying to keep us busy fighting instead of uniting on the same things everyone wants.

It's funny, because I don't like his comedy, that Marc Maron is dead fucking right when he was responding directly to Todd Phillips whining about woke culture killing comedy and indirectly at Dave Chappelle for his unbelievably mean-spirited special.

https://theplaylist.net/marc-maron-...191007/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

All you have to do to know that woke culture isn't killing comedy is look at Taiki Waititi somehow making the most heart-warming comedy I watched last year about a Nazi youth and his imaginary Hitler or watch Anthony Jeselnik's new special (which I laughed long and hard at). Anthony Jeselnik is a fucking genius, since he gets to be the worst person on Earth, saying literally the worst shit on Earth and no one gives him any guff about it because he's incredibly smart about how he delivers it.