[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

As for Buffy....Never got into it. I know, not liking something Whedon is practically trason these days and will get you shunned in nerd circles, and whatever, but I never did really get why it's supposed to be such a great series. It fell into the same soap-opera(preferable-with-cute-young-women-as-protagonists-)-with-some-supernatural-crap-thrown-in category as Charmed or Sabrina: Teenage Witch. Sure fun to watch, but not actually engaging or interesting. Yes, the universe behind it is an interesting setting, but the show itself? Eh.
In regards to Charmed, Buffy is a year older, and is the kind of show that influenced a lot of the genre that followed it (Sabrina is a sitcom based on an Archie Comics character, so not even worth comparing, they are two different things).

It was linked to the movie thread I believe, but I believe your trouble with Buffy is an effect of the Seinfeld is Unfunny trope. The writing and dialogue are miles above that of comparable shows (Joss Whedon is still really the only person who can do "whedon-esque" dialog well, most who try just get word vomit). The Opening is a good example of what the show's about and tries to do. Spooky old school horror music that becomes remixed into a fast paced rock rift. Whedon takes the old horror and supernatural moves it into the present day, and gives you an action show, with the obvious damsel in distress is now the kickass hero role reversal.

To say it does everything right is being delusional (see my rants about certain seasons earlier in this thread), but Buffy for the most part accomplished everything it originally set out to do, and did so in a way that hadn't really been done before.

Frankly, I don't know why doctors even have the DSM-V when mental disorders are clearly on display based on TV preferences. For instance, I do not like Mad Men, and may actively dislike it, which is evidence of a number of mental health concerns.

Frankly, I don't know why doctors even have the DSM-V when mental disorders are clearly on display based on TV preferences. For instance, I do not like Mad Men, and may actively dislike it, which is evidence of a number of mental health concerns.
I am actually in this as well. I know I SHOULD like Mad Men but I've never been able to get into it.

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

GasBandit

Staff member
I also just couldn't get into Mad Men. I watched the entire first season and some of the 2nd TRYING to give it a chance, but it just wouldn't take hold.

I am actually in this as well. I know I SHOULD like Mad Men but I've never been able to get into it.

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

And we're all (with the exception of Gas) Canadian.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Got bitched out by a friend for not liking it too. She said I didn't understand it. Bunk.

To be fair, I didn't give it a much of a chance. Usually I'll give shows a season or so to hit their stride but in this case I only got through 5-6 eps and was just bored.

I watched a good chunk of the first season. I got it, I just didn't think there was that much to get. No one was that likeable, the plot was dull, and the setting felt like more of a punchline on the 1960s than a time period.

I was never a big fan of Mad Men. But it got put on my shit list when it started taking money away from Breaking Bad.
While it didn't get put on my shit list, this is definitely a reason to have some animosity to the show. That animosity is better directed at the network runner, though.

It kinda seems like a lot of you folks that don't like Mad Men were looking for a character to 'like' or be the 'good guy'. Part of the show's greatness is that there are no 'heroes' or 'villains' *for the most part*. It's people of that time going through one of the biggest upheavals in the American Social Dynamic in recent history. Most of the main characters go through arcs where you wanna hive five them and later on, when the show is addressing a different social more of the time, backhand them for being a farking douchebag/catty biatch.

*A lot of the previous statement can be attributed to Breaking Bad, too. Trying to tell people what a great show their missing, and having them tell you "I don't want to watch a show about Meth Dealers . . . *facepalm* *[DOUBLEPOST=1375231114][/DOUBLEPOST]"WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY" 2013

Other than the too often Commercial Interrupts, and having the Awesome Aisha Tyler over explaining the games to folks who've never heard of the show, is none of you Heathens enjoying this?[DOUBLEPOST=1375231154][/DOUBLEPOST]grrr, didn't mean for that to be a double post.

Why all of this fighting? Can't there be appreciation for both Mad Men and Breaking Bad?

...because I like them both, personally. Mad Men is an interesting character piece, following these people as they go through this period of social upheaval. Breaking Bad has a hell of a story with the engrossing tale of Walter White becoming more and more evil. I like them both, just for different reasons.

Why all of this fighting? Can't there be appreciation for both Mad Men and Breaking Bad?

...because I like them both, personally. Mad Men is an interesting character piece, following these people as they go through this period of social upheaval. Breaking Bad has a hell of a story with the engrossing tale of Walter White becoming more and more evil. I like them both, just for different reasons.
It would be really cool if you could get Bryan Cranston and the showrunner, to do a small scene for each season ending and ask him 'in character' if him selling his interest in the company his old associates got legally rich at was worth it.

While it didn't get put on my shit list, this is definitely a reason to have some animosity to the show. That animosity is better directed at the network runner, though.

It kinda seems like a lot of you folks that don't like Mad Men were looking for a character to 'like' or be the 'good guy'. Part of the show's greatness is that there are no 'heroes' or 'villains' *for the most part*. It's people of that time going through one of the biggest upheavals in the American Social Dynamic in recent history. Most of the main characters go through arcs where you wanna hive five them and later on, when the show is addressing a different social more of the time, backhand them for being a farking douchebag/catty biatch.
I get that there's no "heroes" or "villains," but there's also no reason to care about any of the characters. They're just kind of there. Walter White is an interesting character. Don Draper is not.

and Whose Line is it Anyway? is still Whose Line is it Anyway. Glad it's back and I enjoy watching it every week.

People who don't like Mad Men (or Breaking Bad, they are easily the two best shows on TV right now) are terrible and they should feel terrible.

GO FEEL TERRIBLE YOU HEATHENS!!!!

I'm just giving ya'll shit. You're alright I guess.

Despite watching a few episodes of Mad Men and the whole first season of Breaking Bad, I just couldn't get into either. I could totally see the appeal of them, but it just wasn't for me.

No heroes or villains isn't the issue, how dull the show is is.
It's a show centered around a NYC Ad Agency in the 60's that has been circling the cusp of greatness . That's the shows stage, not it's story.

While that's not an exciting 'show', the character's stories played accross that stage has, for the most part, been some damn fine acting and storytelling.

On a non-Mad Men note.

Whip your hair(net) back & forth, production has started on ‪#‎OITNB‬ season 2! Stay tuned for news and updates!
[DOUBLEPOST=1375242128][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a show centered around a NYC Ad Agency in the 60's that has been circling the cusp of greatness . That's the shows stage, not it's story.

While that's not an exciting 'show', the character's stories played accross that stage has, for the most part, been some damn fine acting and storytelling.
You don't have to defend it. It's just not some folks' cup of tea.

Despite watching a few episodes of Mad Men and the whole first season of Breaking Bad, I just couldn't get into either. I could totally see the appeal of them, but it just wasn't for me.
With all the stuff you posted in the Man of Steel thread before you actually saw the movie and liked it, . . . while these shows might not be up your alley if all you saw was the first season, you really only get the beginning of Walter White sliding into Heisenburg. *there's a reason Bryan Cranston won Best Actor years in a row, and Arron Paul was supposed to die in the first season and ended up getting nominated for Best Supporting this year*

If nothing else, go back to Breaking Bad and watch it critically with an author's eyes towards story telling. Except for Walter Jr's breakfast habits, there's lots of good storytelling for all of the characters.

Yeah, I just finished the first season of Breaking Bad and really don't feel a need to keep watching. I guess if it really gets that much better I should try, but I'm hesitant.

I actually would recommend that ThatNickGuy -NOT- watch Breaking Bad. It is a seriously awesome drama, but it's also a look into someone going to a pretty fucking dark place, and often times downright depressing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pretty sure I would like Breaking Bad, I just don't dare watch it. I'll wait till the entire series has aired so I can do it all in one go.

As for Mad Men... Eh, it's just... okay. I gave it a season and a half, and even ogling Christina Hendricks couldn't keep me interested enough to continue finding the torrents.

I actually would recommend that ThatNickGuy -NOT- watch Breaking Bad. It is a seriously awesome drama, but it's also a look into someone going to a pretty fucking dark place, and often times downright depressing.

Eh, I don't mind dark sometimes. Six Feet Under was one of my favourite shows back in the day, for example.

Finished season 2 of Buffy, now I know there are like five seasons left of this but sweet strawberry Jesus that finale was sad.
When she just freakin' stabbed Angel right after he got his soul back I mean DAMN! And up yours principal Schneider, you are an annoying cliche!

Just started watching OitNB. Gonna skip back 4-5 pages and read all your spoilers when I'm done.

2 episodes in and so far I'm really liking like 5 characters.

I just finished OitNB over the course of a week. Loved it.

Chapman really is insufferable, though. How about a show about Red instead? Or Miss Claudette.

There's something about hearing Axe Cop throwing out his ridiculous one-liners like "We'll take my car. It's more awesome" as completely straight-faced just works.
I think you just described the appeal of The Tick.

--Patrick[DOUBLEPOST=1375419356][/DOUBLEPOST]
As long as he isn't turned into a man-spider. That was a dopey episode.
Agreed.

I like to think someone would cast Dwight Shultz and Jim Carrey in a "goofy siblings" flick.

...there'd be no script, someone would just make them live together and film it. Comedy gold!

--Patrick