[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Well it does say "catchall thread" soooo...I guess?
Yes! Hooray! Finally something useful.
(reads article)
Aww, they meant the sound volume, not the number/quantity of commercials. Boo.

--Patrick

Well it does say "catchall thread" soooo...I guess?
Yes! Hooray! Finally something useful.
(reads article)
Aww, they meant the sound volume, not the number/quantity of commercials. Boo.

--Patrick
It's still a welcome move. For a long time, advertisers would demand the volume get jacked up on their commercials because it made them harder to ignore. It was an annoying trend that sometimes still pops up.

It's still a welcome move. For a long time, advertisers would demand the volume get jacked up on their commercials because it made them harder to ignore. It was an annoying trend that sometimes still pops up.
Been illegal in Belgium on cable and such for quite a while. They still get around it by keeping the technical max volume equal but increasing loudness (or however you call it in English - they just flood MORE sound across wavelengths to saturate you). Sounds louder, technically isn't.

Yes, my wife got a killer deal on a barely-used television because of that. Older woman basically sold it to her for next to nothing because commercials were so abysmally loud. We still have it.
increasing loudness (or however you call it in English - they just flood MORE sound across wavelengths to saturate you). Sounds louder, technically isn't.
"Compression" (short for Dynamic Range Compression). See also The Loudness War.

--Patrick

"turning the whistle down and the voice up is better for the music"
-Tinwhistler
Nope. But it's better for videos where I'm talking about things and then using the whistle to demonstrate them :D
It's also better for recording the whistle in general, because the second octave is considerably louder than the first.

Well, ST1 was *supposed* to have a $15 million budget, but they ending up spending 3X that. That might have something to do with Roddenberry's ousting.
So they still cut the budget from the original amount, even though it recovered even the extra expenses.

Obviously it did well enough if it got a sequel, but not what it needed to to make it seem worth-while to the moneyed-interests.

Strange New Worlds is a solid improvement over the other newer Trek shows but shit does it already need to slow down with the massive character exposition dumps. I think the last episode had like three A-plots that all felt incredibly rushed. Investigating a disappeared colony, a virus outbreak and the doctor's stuff all feel like they could have been episodes on their own, slowed down a little.

Dave

Staff member
Just finished episode 3.

VERY Nightmare on Elm Street. It's a lot more horror this season.

Obi-Wan, only finished the first episode so far
but depending on how this goes, based on what they've set up, this gives "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." so much more weight.

Obi-Wan, only finished the first episode so far
but depending on how this goes, based on what they've set up, this gives "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." so much more weight.
But what kind of weight? It's a nice touch, but the message that she leaves for Obi-Wan on R2 obviously is not of the personal level. She only mentions that he's a friend of her father's and acts like she's never met him personally. In this particular situation she would surely bring up the time she was rescued by him. It's now a retcon loop hole. But meh. Still a fun story. And maybe they will find an explanation for it later.

But what kind of weight? It's a nice touch, but the message that she leaves for Obi-Wan on R2 obviously is not of the personal level. She only mentions that he's a friend of her father's and acts like she's never met him personally. In this particular situation she would surely bring up the time she was rescued by him. It's now a retcon loop hole. But meh. Still a fun story. And maybe they will find an explanation for it later.
Because now it's not just a call to her father's old friend, though the way she words that obviously implies she didn't know him in the original intention and that definitely muddies it. Now, to me, it feels like it's her reaching out to someone she knows she too can rely on. It is a weird loophole for sure with the impersonalness of it, to be fair I imagine there is going to be several like this with these in-between series they're doing now, though I wonder if it could be argued she sent it that way in case R2 was intercepted.

figmentPez

Staff member
Stranger Things

Well, that was wild. Ok, now just to count the days until July 1.
I was not aware that season 4 was coming out in two volumes. I was thinking "how are they gonna wrap this all up by the end of 7 episodes?". The answer is that they weren't. I have really enjoyed this season. I was questioning just how big they could go after last season. They did indeed manage to ramp things up.

I have enjoyed Season 4 of Stranger Things so far. I see a lot of people posting on FB that they feel it is a massive downturn in story quality from the previous three seasons. I guess I can agree. And I do feel that this season has been a little more overly-clowny in its comedy (although admittedly I haven't re-watched the other seasons recently so maybe the comedy is on par with them. This is a show that is basically a horror version of Goonies after all). But I'm still having a lot of fun with the different plots occurring, especially the group situated in Hawkins. Steve and Dustin are the best bromance ever and I have loved every interaction between the two of them. Eddie is a great new character and I appreciate that they have used the 80's growing apprehension about Dungeons & Dragons into the plot.
Vecna is an interesting villain and his reveal at the end was slightly predictable but not until the 2nd to last episode for me. Even then I had no idea that he was the son of Victor Creel. I admit I was having difficulty understanding how Number 1 (who I predicted was the helpful orderly) was able to affect Victor Creel and his family some 30 years before that. The fact that he even says, when talking to Nancy and Robin, that his son was in a coma and he "died later". I should have picked up on that as being left in a coma was surprisingly tame for what Vecna was doing to people. I do believe that myself, and maybe others, feel that Vecna being the big baddie this season seems like a step down from Season 3 as that season's Mind Flayer is supposed to be the big boss for the Upside Down. But I think that will be rectified when Part 2 of the episodes drop. Vecna will be able to open enough gates and the Mind Flayer and his forces will spill out into Hawkins for one hell of a good time. Emphasis on hell.
I feel that part of what defeats at least Vecna has been foreshadowed quite heavily. We know that a victim's favorite music is possibly powerful enough to keep Vecna's powers from being able to kill them. Based on the trailer I am absolutely looking forward to when Eddie has a god damn guitar showdown with the demon. It's going to be epic.

Having not watched any of Season 4 yet: Season 3 was already a massive downturn in story quality from season 2, which was a massive downturn from season 1. It feels a lot like a long-running comic, where character growth and development get tossed out the window at the end of a run, and the next arc sets them to a new status quo that may or may not be connected to what came immediately before. I'll watch season 4 once it's all released, but I'm not looking forward to it the way I was to 2 or 3 because the characters already feel like they're pretty disconnected from who they were before, and the nostalgia hits don't really make up for it for me.

Dave

Staff member
I rather liked this season. I didn't think it was worse, merely different. And it's almost like it's more of a straightforward horror show than a nostalgia-fest, even though there's definitely a lot of that going on.

I'm liking the season so far but Paul Reiser's monologue in episode 3 was disappointingly stupid. He delivered it fine. It was downright dumb writing, well below what the rest of the show produces.

Started watching Stranger Things Season 4 tonight.

Anyone else watch a certain scene in episode 2 that reminded them of this from Mask of the Phantasm?

Also, man, they are copying off Wes Craven's Nightmare on Elm St notes hard this season. Like, blatantly so much, it's beyond homage and just copy/pasting.