[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Peacemaker
Since you guys were talking so favorably about this series, I gave it a shot, although Peacemaker was probably one of my least favorites from The Suicide Squad. First off, it is very James Gunn-y. Like, even if I didn't know going in it was him helming the series, I would have assumed so. The cartoonish-levels of absurb violence paired with a distinctive soundtrack, and still a fairly in-depth character study while remaining balanced ensemble? Yep.

I dug the cast... well, except for Murn. I don't think it was the actor's fault, but I feel like his motivations and role wasn't as well-defined at the rest of the cast. What surprised me was how much I like Vigilante. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. On paper, his character would drive me insane. And yet, Freddie Stroma had this.... charisma?! that made me enjoy whenever he was on screen. I don't get it. He managed to be a happy-go-lucky, upbeat sociopath with sort-of good intentions? I liked being around him more than Peacemaker himself. (I also noticed around the 4th or 5th episode, he's actually one of the better dancers in the opening credits. He's got rhythm.)

All-in-all, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and I'd oddly like to see more.

I'm just wondering if this season of the Flash, Amunet Black will FINALLY go to jail. Or at least address how she is LITERALLY a slave trader, but no, most of the time its "HAHA-I have a British accent!"

Our Flag Means Death
This series is crazy fun. It's the queer pirate rom-com we needed in these dark times. People are calling it "What We Do in the Shadows with Pirates", but I think it goes deeper than Shadows (which I love). Lots of quirky, silly fun, but it's not afraid to have some darker or more emotional moments that gives the characters more depth. The cast is fantastic. Taika Waititi is awesome as Blackbeard and he doesn't just play it for laughs, he can flip a switch and become the Blackbeard that everyone fears.

Guys, I cannot recommend Severance more. No one should sleep on this show. It's easily the best mystery week to week show I've ever watched.

I'm really starting to hate Penelope Featherington! Fuck that bitch, I don't want her to have a character redemption arc, I want her to get run over by a herd of Zebras!

I'm really starting to hate Penelope Featherington! Fuck that bitch, I don't want her to have a character redemption arc, I want her to get run over by a herd of Zebras!
She IS a Featherington, so loathsome personality traits are going to come out sooner or later, but I really hoped for better from her.

....I MEAN, I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. I'VE NEVER WATCHED BRIDGERTON.

:oops:

Winning Time about the Lakers of the 80s has been very entertaining so far. If you like sports movies/shows I think you will love this one. Lots of well timed 4th wall breaking.

I am cautiously excited for Strange New Worlds. Everything is ok EXCEPT for the chief of security of the Enterprise being a descendant of Khan....

NOT EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE A DESCENDANT OR ANCESTOR OF EVERY CHARACTER STAR TREK, I'M LOOKING AT YOU PICARD.....where it's become downright fucking ridiculous. Every....fucking...character is related to someone they've run into in the 20th century somehow.

Soji looks exactly like some random Soong from the 20th century because of course. Brent Spiner has played I think at this point, 5 generations of Soong. Picard's GGGGGGGMILF is also responsible for all of humanity not becoming Nazis. If Watcher not-Laris is Laris's fucking great great grandmother.

BLECH

PS Picard season 2 is absolute dogshit, almost as fucking bad as the first season and worse in places.

Watching live action Star Trek wobble around being unwatchable trash actually hurts my feelings.

Watching live action Star Trek wobble around being unwatchable trash actually hurts my feelings.
I'm just watching TOS on Netflix now.

I had no idea the first movie was also "inspired" by an episode. Funny how they doubled down and made an actual sequel to an episode with the second movie, when the 1st one didn't do so great.

GasBandit

Staff member

I had no idea the first movie was also "inspired" by an episode. Funny how they doubled down and made an actual sequel to an episode with the second movie, when the 1st one didn't do so great.
They knew it'd work out because it was an even numbered trek movie :D

That's the show about those old scientists? Seems like they were stumbling on crazy new aliens every week back then.

It made almost $100 Million dollars in 1979/1980 and stayed in theaters for months.

The powers-that-be didn't agree, since they removed Roddenberry as a producer, and cut the budget for the next one:

View attachment 41391

It's weird that Kahn made less money, i wasn't expecting that. But it made 8 times it's budget, vs. 3 times for Trek 1, so i guess that's what mattered in the end.
Well, ST1 was *supposed* to have a $15 million budget, but they ending up spending 3X that. That might have something to do with Roddenberry's ousting.

I remember very clearly when ST1 came out. That long, slow scene before the reveal of the ship seems too long and a bit boring now, but in the theaters on opening day? Everyone went crazy for it. It was pure fan service for Trek fans. The fact that Trek made it into the movies was a *big deal* for fans of the show at the time. You have to remember that not only had it been 13 years since the show was on TV, it was the popularity of this movie (and the subsequent ones) that helped launch all the following TV shows. At the time, the only Trek you could watch was on syndicated reruns.

The closest analogue I can think of is Firefly/Serenity. A much loved TV show that made it to the movies, that fans loved. Unfortunately, *that* was a box office bomb.

(I'm not counting the short-lived Trek cartoon in this...and nobody should. lol)

That long, slow scene before the reveal of the ship seems too long and a bit boring now, but in the theaters on opening day? Everyone went crazy for it. It was pure fan service for Trek fans.
THIS.

The Enterprise is as much a character in the series as any of the other principals. We meet up with Kirk and Scotty, the two people in the entire universe to whom the Enterprise means more than to anyone else. They get into a pod where they have a little chat, and then we get to watch as they launch to meet up with the refitted Enterprise. There's no more talking, just the main theme coming in, and they (and we) get to see the new Enterprise design for the first time. The pod comes about so we get to see her from just off the port bow, and if it weren't for the dry dock and equipment surrounding her, it's practically a shot out of the classic series where the Enterprise orbits a planet. Kirk and Scotty exchange glances and then Kirk only has eyes for the Enterprise. It's like he's a groom standing at the altar and watching the Enterprise come down the aisle, with Scotty as the father giving away the bride.

Yeah, for those of us who had been Trekless for ten years, it was definitely a Moment.

--Patrick

I love TMP, Wrath, Search, Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country. Never bought into the only the even numbered Star Trek movies were any good.

Final Frontier exists.

I love TMP, Wrath, Search, Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country. Never bought into the only the even numbered Star Trek movies were any good.

Final Frontier exists.
The Voyage Home has kind of been re-embraced as a "good" Star Trek film in recent years by fans who understand that it brings a lot of much needed levity and humor to the franchise. When you judge the film by it's own merits and what it's trying to do, it's actually quite entertaining.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think the "even numbered" rule was really a thing until 5 turned out to be such a stinker. Then retroactively people decided 3 was bad when really it was alright.

But 5 was so bad people started looking for a curse to blame it on.

GasBandit

Staff member
Long as I can remember, the basic trek fan's tier list basically went 6-2-4-3-1-5. Some edgelords (like me) swapped 6 and 2 because they liked Montalban's scenery chewing, but everybody pretty much acknowledged that 4, and maybe even 3, were decent.

I just remember 4 being popular from the get-go. My Trek-loving parents and their friends loved it. When I was younger it was always hailed as one of the best, even at conventions. Although the cons I went to were late 80's through the mid-to-late 90's, so ymmv.

Long as I can remember, the basic trek fan's tier list basically went 6-2-4-3-1-5. Some edgelords (like me) swapped 6 and 2 because they liked Montalban's scenery chewing, but everybody pretty much acknowledged that 4, and maybe even 3, were decent.
I personally would put it 2-6-3-1-4-5. I really dislike the time travel one. But not nearly as much as I dislike Sha Kha Ree

Personal order would be 2-6-4-1-3-5.
I rank 3 low because it negates Spock’s sacrifice that was such a fitting end to the character’s arc, but then they made 5 and it took over the worst movie. Kahn and Undiscovered can swap back and forth, they are so close to the same level and partly depends on what I’m in the mood for. Voyage and TMP can also swap around depending on mood, definitely the middle of the road for me though.