[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I'm just happy to have found something that loves the 1980 Flash Gordon movie as much as me. I had a vinyl of the soundtrack.

In Time

I've been wanting to see this since watching the trailer, but never got a chance to see it while it was in theatres because...well, the theatre where I lived for the past year sucked ass. But it popped up on Netflix recently and I just gave it a watch (heh, watch. Time. Pun. :D)

And I dug it. It was a neat movie with an interesting premise. It was pretty blatantly obvious that the movie was about the 99% vs. the 1% and all that, but it was still a solid enough movie with some neat ideas with the time on each person's arm.

It certainly won't win any awards and there are loads of better sci-fi movies out there, but I'd say give it a at least one watch.

In Time

I've been wanting to see this since watching the trailer, but never got a chance to see it while it was in theatres because...well, the theatre where I lived for the past year sucked ass. But it popped up on Netflix recently and I just gave it a watch (heh, watch. Time. Pun. :D)

And I dug it. It was a neat movie with an interesting premise. It was pretty blatantly obvious that the movie was about the 99% vs. the 1% and all that, but it was still a solid enough movie with some neat ideas with the time on each person's arm.

It certainly won't win any awards and there are loads of better sci-fi movies out there, but I'd say give it a at least one watch.
See, I thought it started it quite well and was very enjoyable little bit of sci-fi...right up until it's turn into fucking strange Bonnie and Clyde overt 99%er stuff.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
or "A Popular Kid Does Whatever the Fuck He Wants". Guess I'm infected by that one Cracked article I read, but honestly I didn't find this movie that likeable. Most of the time I just kept thinking what a dipshit the title character is and how he gets away with everything with little to no effort. To me, this was pretty much Mary Stu: The Motion Picture. And that's even bad cinema, if you ask me. If the "hero" pretty much automatically outfoxes and beats every obstacle with his left hand with his hand tied behind his back, there's no suspense. Kudos for eerily prophetic description of Charlie Sheen, though.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
or "A Popular Kid Does Whatever the Fuck He Wants". Guess I'm infected by that one Cracked article I read, but honestly I didn't find this movie that likeable. Most of the time I just kept thinking what a dipshit the title character is and how he gets away with everything with little to no effort. To me, this was pretty much Mary Stu: The Motion Picture. And that's even bad cinema, if you ask me. If the "hero" pretty much automatically outfoxes and beats every obstacle with his left hand with his hand tied behind his back, there's no suspense. Kudos for eerily prophetic description of Charlie Sheen, though.
You simply saw it too late in life. It's escapism fantasy for teenagers who wish they could be that awesome.

North_Ranger

Staff member
You simply saw it too late in life. It's escapism fantasy for teenagers who wish they could be that awesome.
Perhaps. For me personally, the first American Pie movie is the teen comedy. Not that I ever felt the particular desire to molest apple pies, but the whole sexual frustration angle kinda spoke volumes to me. Which made the subsequent movies - the sequel, the wedding, the reunion - that much sweeter.

The direct-to-DVD sequels, though... I've only seen Band Camp and the Naked Mile, which, while slightly funny, lack that bittersweet hilarity that was to be found in the quadrilogy proper. Haven't seen the Book of Love yet, but I'll get around to it; with American Pie: The Reunion hitting the DVD shelves, they also put out a complete DVD collection of all the American Pie movies - which I purchased yesterday. Figured it was a decent deal; the full set for the price of two regular-price DVDs.[DOUBLEPOST=1345056838][/DOUBLEPOST]
That being said, the arguments you make, particularly in the case of Ferris Bueller, make sense. I just disagree with them.
Thank you. I never endeavour to proclaim myself the Halforumite version of Leonard Maltin; I just know what I like and what I don't like. And considering how much people seem to drone about Ferris Bueller, I decided to give it a try - and found it lacking. But that's just how I see it, matters of taste are subjective in any case.

every day in the late 90s/00s when I skipped school (this was an incountable number, yay single parent household), the first thing I did was put on Dirty Work, then Ferris Bueller while I dozed / half-watched until lunch time

I love Norm MacDonald. It's too bad he tends to kind of alienate the studio execs with his "I don't give a shit" attitude. In a perfect world, that same attitude would have him hosting what would be the single greatest late night show since Carson left the Tonight Show.

I'm actually kidding, I love Norm McDonald, Dirty Work owns, that interview is legendary, and he was the sole entertaining roaster at Bob Saget's roast. His most recent standup thing I've seen on Netflix is also really funny.

[DOUBLEPOST=1345065943][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm actually kidding, I love Norm McDonald, Dirty Work owns, that interview is legendary, and he was the sole entertaining roaster at Bob Saget's roast. His most recent standup thing I've seen on Netflix is also really funny.
I figured. I mean you can't watch Dirty Work that often and not love Norm MacDonald, it wouldn't add up.

sorry let me let you get back to stamos talking about banging the olsen twins and that obnoxious lady that talks about fucking black men and her huge vagina
I wasn't promoting anyone else in the roast. My problem is with anti-humor. It is fundamentally for the people in on the joke, namely the comedians themselves. They might as well just heckle the audience.

I thought his 'lame' jokes were just because he didn't like roast humour and made fun of the whole thing.

Anyways, Norm MacDonald is the shit. His recent sports show (very short lasting) on Comedy Central was incredible.

So, the last little bit I've been playing, well anything really, and I've had my laptop open on my desk playing Batman: The Animated Series (just bought that big collector's set) and.....it's still just wonderful. The Grey Ghost episode is really a treat. Kind of a love letter to the 60's show and the old serials and Adam West in general with Adam West playing a washed up actor of a superhero tv show. It's too bad he has to play caricatures of himself so often (Family Guy) as he's fantastic in the episode.

Lord of the Rings (Fellowship & Two Towers, so far)

My mother gave me a $50 gift card to Future Shop, so I bought the BluRay Extended Edition collection.

And overall, it's still as amazing and breath taking as ever. Howard Shore's score continues to wonder. The acting is great right across the board with no one to complain about.

That said...some of the special effects have not aged particularly well. The make up, sets, and costumes are all fantastic. However - and maybe this is the problem with BluRay - but CGI related effects are much more obvious. The Ents and Gollum, particularly. Gollum still looks and sounds great, of course, but the animation is stiffer than today's character animations. And it's much, much, much more obvious than I remember that he's super imposed into the scenes. You can almost see an outline around him. It's not horrible, but it is noticeable. That's the problem with 10 years time. It was revolutionary at the time, but it hasn't entirely held up well. It's interesting to watch older movies (or even some rare movies today) that still use practical effects that stand up better to time than CGI.

ParaNorman

Wow, this was great. It had a nice melancholy tone through out the movie, but lots of humor to keep it from becoming oppressive. Good use of music, great claymation (to be expected, considering the studio and director), and a decidedly mature approach to it's story-telling. It starts out like your normal fairy tale story, but you can pick the exact moment when the story swerves and it starts to reveal what the message really is...

It's when Norman's friends ditch him and he tries to go it alone, resulting in the story book getting blasted by the Witch (symbolic of how he can't just "fix" this like a storybook ending). This is also the moment he finds out what really happened. Tellingly, he's not afraid to let the seven zombies know they are assholes for what they did when they show up.

This part is also why it's not a Disney movie. Disney would have simply had him read the story book and put the witch back to sleep for another year. ParaNorman admits that this doesn't actually fix anything and is really just pushing the problem onto someone else (which is ALSO foreshadowed by how Norman's Uncle acts when he gives the job to Norman).

This is very much a "message movie" but it's not too hamfisted about it's delivery. Basically, it's about not letting fear dictate your life and about not perpetuating the cycle of violence against those who've harmed you (even if they DO deserve it sometimes). The ending is pretty subversive too: Most of the town doesn't learn anything, denying what they did or pretending it didn't happy. Still, it's a fun movie with a lot of legitimate creepiness and plenty of risque humor. If you have a kid who loves creepy stuff or just never grew out of that phase yourself (I know I didn't!), I highly recommend it.

Lord of the Rings (Fellowship & Two Towers, so far)

My mother gave me a $50 gift card to Future Shop, so I bought the BluRay Extended Edition collection.

And overall, it's still as amazing and breath taking as ever. Howard Shore's score continues to wonder. The acting is great right across the board with no one to complain about.

That said...some of the special effects have not aged particularly well. The make up, sets, and costumes are all fantastic. However - and maybe this is the problem with BluRay - but CGI related effects are much more obvious. The Ents and Gollum, particularly. Gollum still looks and sounds great, of course, but the animation is stiffer than today's character animations. And it's much, much, much more obvious than I remember that he's super imposed into the scenes. You can almost see an outline around him. It's not horrible, but it is noticeable. That's the problem with 10 years time. It was revolutionary at the time, but it hasn't entirely held up well. It's interesting to watch older movies (or even some rare movies today) that still use practical effects that stand up better to time than CGI.
I don't think I'll ever upgrade those to HD. I don't need to tarnish them. This is also why I stand up for 80s effect, primarily puppetry. That stuff never ages--if it didn't look good then, it doesn't look good now, but if it looked good then, it holds up.

As for me...

The Dark Knight Rises: A lot of good stuff with many problems. Second film of the trilogy remains my favorite.

Primal Fear: Strong performances and an interesting story. I feel like the stuff with city development probably had more importance in the book. Interesting movie, though I feel it's been mined by a lot of legal dramas these days and the material isn't as striking as it was when this came out. Good movie though.

Drive
Weird. I didn't love it, but I did really enjoy it. Most of my friends seemed to haaaaaaate this one, I feel like they.... watched it wrong, somehow. Was expecting a little more action in the second half, but overall I'd say the description my sister gave me of it being a "John Hughes movie if it were told by Quentin Tarantino" was pretty accurate, and I definitely enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling movies are always worth watching. The guy is still thought of as the teen heart throb from the Notebook, but man, dude can act, and he can pick his roles.

Saw Expendables 2. An '80s action movie set in 2012. If you liked the first, you'll enjoy the sequel.

The best parts were the "guest" stars.