[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

North_Ranger

Staff member
Drag Me To Hell

I have to say, this movie left me feeling rather uncomfortable. Usually the protagonist in these flicks is someone who deserves all the shit coming their way, but here... she is basically an aspiring young woman who is constantly looked down upon because of her rural upbringing and is generally treated like a glorified secretary. And the one time she shows spunk, without actually doing anything wrong? Boom, gypsy curse on you, bitch. How dare you not give a third extension to a creepy old lady, you Nazi?!

It certainly didn't help that the "sudden twist ending" could be seen about five miles away, carrying a neon sign that says "Twist Ending Coming Up". The ending pretty much turned the movie's lesson into "let everyone treat you like crap and don't you dare to show any guts, or you'll go straight to hell. Oh, and get me a sandwich."

All that was missing was a tree rape scene.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I'm just saying I found the movie uncomfortable, that's all.

And for the sake of argument...

Illusionist

Didn't know much about this one. Enjoyed it nonetheless, even though I had to watch it in a rush. Kinda expected some shenanigans, but the movie didn't oversell its sense of illusion and misdirection. Worth a watch, overall.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I'd not rank it so highly, in all honesty. Like I said, the movie felt damn uncomfortable with its message, and I didn't see what was so bloody fantastic about it otherwise. Okay, the Lamia tormenting Christine was pretty intense and some of the special effects were nothing to sneeze at, but I don't see why Drag Me To Hell is supposedly a masterpiece.

I was actually creeped out by something I read in IMDB: that Raimi perceived Christine as the villain and Mrs Ganush the victim in the movie.

The message of the movie was "Bad things can happen to you, even if you don't deserve it". There was literally nothing that girl could have done to help that gypsy women. If she had approved the loan, she'd have been disciplined/fired and then the loan would have been revoked anyway. She was ALWAYS going to be fucked.

The message of the movie was "Bad things can happen to you, even if you don't deserve it". There was literally nothing that girl could have done to help that gypsy women. If she had approved the loan, she'd have been disciplined/fired and then the loan would have been revoked anyway. She was ALWAYS going to be fucked.
Which lets be honest, is a damn good reason to be uncomfortable with the message. It's GOOD horror in that it uses fantasy to deal with real life fears.

Expendables 2.

I liked the first movie.

Second one was a pile of trash more interested in telling action movie injokes than actually being entertaining. Also, the big screen use of a Chuck Norris fact had the audience roaring with laughter. I was embarrassed.

ParaNorman

This is one of those movies that reminds me; Just because a movie is animated doesn't mean it's for kids.

Regardless, I loved it! The claymation is gorgeous and nearly every asthetic about the movie speaks to me. The humor was great and there was just enough of it. My favorite was Norman's friend Neil. His dialogue is just...so funny! And the best is that it's some of the most natural sounding dialogue I've heard in a long while. If that makes any sense. Heh.

I am surprised that this didn't come out closer to Halloween. My only guess is it didn't want to compete with Frankenweenie, which comes out in early Oct.

I somewhat went to this based on AshburnerX 's recomendation, so thank you!!

ParaNorman

This is one of those movies that reminds me; Just because a movie is animated doesn't mean it's for kids.

Regardless, I loved it! The claymation is gorgeous and nearly every asthetic about the movie speaks to me. The humor was great and there was just enough of it. My favorite was Norman's friend Neil. His dialogue is just...so funny! And the best is that it's some of the most natural sounding dialogue I've heard in a long while. If that makes any sense. Heh.

I am surprised that this didn't come out closer to Halloween. My only guess is it didn't want to compete with Frankenweenie, which comes out in early Oct.

I somewhat went to this based on AshburnerX 's recomendation, so thank you!!
Did you have more than 3 people in theater with you? I'm hoping this does well but I suspect it's going to bomb.

Did you have more than 3 people in theater with you? I'm hoping this does well but I suspect it's going to bomb.
Eventually. But not many came. It was Nate and I, with about 4 kids. Then two more families with kids came. And that was it.

I also hope it does well! I'm going to spread the word as best I can that it's definately worth seeing. :)

Drag Me To Hell

I have to say, this movie left me feeling rather uncomfortable. Usually the protagonist in these flicks is someone who deserves all the shit coming their way, but here... she is basically an aspiring young woman who is constantly looked down upon because of her rural upbringing and is generally treated like a glorified secretary. And the one time she shows spunk, without actually doing anything wrong? Boom, gypsy curse on you, bitch. How dare you not give a third extension to a creepy old lady, you Nazi?!

It certainly didn't help that the "sudden twist ending" could be seen about five miles away, carrying a neon sign that says "Twist Ending Coming Up". The ending pretty much turned the movie's lesson into "let everyone treat you like crap and don't you dare to show any guts, or you'll go straight to hell. Oh, and get me a sandwich."

All that was missing was a tree rape scene.
The movie can also be interpreted as being about an eating disorder.

It's a fun little theory. The movie never treats any of the horror elements as real, no one sees them but her. And all of the horror events take place around food, or things going into her mouth. There's even background about the girl being overweight as a child.

Like Crazy

This was new on Netflix and I was in the mood for a romantic kinda movie for whatever reason (I get like that sometimes). Anyway, I liked it...sort of. It's got some very good acting by both of the main actors, especially in the stuff they don't say. In fact, their respective expressions, the unspoken stuff, that's most interesting about the movie.

I guess I just expected something a little more...upbeat. Still a very good movie, but I didn't expect it to be a rather bittersweet, realistic look at a long-distance relationship. In some ways, it reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, only without the sci-fi element.

North_Ranger

Staff member
It's a fun little theory. The movie never treats any of the horror elements as real, no one sees them but her. And all of the horror events take place around food, or things going into her mouth. There's even background about the girl being overweight as a child.
Except the Indian psychic, Shaun San Dena and her aide Milos - and I guess the goat, too. Unless they're allegories of... diet pills sold online?

Except the Indian psychic, Shaun San Dena and her aide Milos - and I guess the goat, too. Unless they're allegories of... diet pills sold online?
She could have hallucinated their presence. The boyfriend wasn't allowed to take part, and only meets the psychic during the original reading.

Dark Knight Rises. I posted my thoughts on it in the appropriate thread.[DOUBLEPOST=1345752966][/DOUBLEPOST]Jackie Chan's Project A - vintage Jackie. Lousy dubbing, slapstick humor, set pieces asking to be destroyed, and a story that serves it's purpose of providing reasons for fight scenes. In other words this movie is fantastic.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Hellboy

Ron Perlman kicking ass as a stone-fisted demon with a soft spot for kittens. What's not to love? Certainly better than the sequel which I think took itself just a tad too seriously even while providing deliciously mindfuckeriffic visuals. The strength of the first film is also that it didn't go overboard with the visuals, but allowed you to savour every gloriously gruesome detail.[DOUBLEPOST=1345760489][/DOUBLEPOST] Gilgamesh coming in to say he disagrees in 3... 2... 1... :p

It's doing terrible at the theatre I work at unfortunately. Still really want to see it myself.
It did 3rd on it's opening weekend, which is pretty good considering it had The Borne Legacy and Expendables 2 to deal with. I just have NO IDEA where those audiences are, because every theater around here is doing two showing of each version a day.

It did 3rd on it's opening weekend, which is pretty good considering it had The Borne Legacy and Expendables 2 to deal with. I just have NO IDEA where those audiences are, because every theater around here is doing two showing of each version a day.
For this week we've done no 2D shows and 3 3D during the weekdays. On the weekends (fri, sat and sun) we add 2 2D. The most I've had in either has been 20, and that was opening night.
I haven't seen ParaNorman yet, but this still pissed me off.
http://metronews.ca/voices/reel-guys/339553/a-spooky-spectacle/
Another film critic who clearly knows NOTHING about what he's talking about.
Another professional critic I can add to the list of critics whose opinions mean nothing to me.

Also decided that I'm going to check it out tonight so I'll let you know what I think.

Hellboy

Ron Perlman kicking ass as a stone-fisted demon with a soft spot for kittens. What's not to love? Certainly better than the sequel which I think took itself just a tad too seriously even while providing deliciously mindfuckeriffic visuals. The strength of the first film is also that it didn't go overboard with the visuals, but allowed you to savour every gloriously gruesome detail.[DOUBLEPOST=1345760489][/DOUBLEPOST] Gilgamesh coming in to say he disagrees in 3... 2... 1... :p
You did that on purpose. ;) Hellboy 1&2 were fantastic.

Now see, I actually like Hellboy II because it's not as dark and serious as the first one. I mean, come on, Abe and Red get plastered? Red gets the crap kicked out of him by a series of locker doors? Awesome. :) Is it as good, overall, as the first? No. But I think it's more fun.