[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Yeah, I was hoping for it to be good but it was terrible. I'ma watch the Red Letter Media thing now.

I still like Emma Stone better than Kirsten Dunst though.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Mafia!
Still bad, but not as bad as I remembered. Some funny parodies of mobster movies, but mostly it just makes me sad that the career of Lloyd Bridges ended with this:

The man deserved better, dammit.

The Illusionist

Absolutely gorgeous animation, but...I don't know, I didn't find myself compelled to keep watching it. In fact, I got up and surfed the net while it played and kept checking to see when it would end. For all its gorgeous animation, I just didn't find it very engaging.

The Illusionist

Absolutely gorgeous animation, but...I don't know, I didn't find myself compelled to keep watching it. In fact, I got up and surfed the net while it played and kept checking to see when it would end. For all its gorgeous animation, I just didn't find it very engaging.
Yeah, it's not like The Triplets of Belleville, where there is always SOMETHING happening. Then again, it's a different sort of movie.

Been on a non-Marvel live action superhero movie kick lately. The recent news/article about Ron Pearlman donning the Hellboy make-up again got me watching the movies again. And there's a movie I'm seeing tomorrow evening that got me re-watching those. So...

Hellboy I & II

Now that I've watched them back to back, there's a few things about them:
-Pearlman is Hellboy. That's been said before (by myself and many others), but it bears repeating. He just gets the character perfectly, to a tee.
-The first is the better written of the two. It's got a more solid plot, overall, that ties in with the title character's origins and has a good character arc. The second one feels a little less focused, plot-wise. However...
-The second one is much stronger on characterization. Which is saying something, when the first was so great. But this one, it felt like all the actors felt more comfortable in their roles. The second one, despite its fun - if a little unfocused - plot, really is much more character driven.
-The special effects are great in both, but they're just spectacular in the second. Del Toro's eye for creepy creature designs really shows here, with some designs reminiscent of his other works, like especially Pan's Labyrinth. Which isn't a bad thing, because they're still brilliant creature designs.
-The second one is just, overall, more fun. It's like they're letting their hair down and having some fun with the characters. It's more...cartoonish...as a result, which I don't mind. Hellboy's one of those really rich characters that, like other iconic comic book characters, can withstand lighter interpretations. The first one had some laughs, but this one was just hilarious at times. I still love when Hellboy and Abe get piss-poor drunk.

As for the other pair of movies:

Batman Begins

Still a great movie. Nothing else to add here. I have a feeling it'll hold up better to time than Burton's movies did.

Though, one funny thing happened at the end for me. When Ra's train crashes through into the parking garage, I said to myself, "Huh. He could've survived that. Maybe he'll be back for the last movie?" And then the train cars blew up and I reconsidered that thought.

And now I'm gonna sit back and watch The Dark Knight.

North_Ranger

Staff member
The Dark Knight Rises

Liked the twists and surprises. Bane... well, I felt disappointed by him. And the political overtones of this film were just bloody creepy, especially if this is supposed to represent our current western culture. Still, worth a watch.

Flyboys

Watched this out of curiosity; a surprisingly solid film about American volunteers flying for the French in WWI. It's no Memphis Belle, but the combat scenes are well-choreographed and gripping, and you really start rooting for the guys of Lafayette Escadrille.

The Dark Knight Rises

Liked the twists and surprises. Bane... well, I felt disappointed by him. And the political overtones of this film were just bloody creepy, especially if this is supposed to represent our current western culture. Still, worth a watch.
Damn, I forgot to address this in the dark knight thread...

To the batforum!

The Frighteners

Just rewatched, first time since.... Gee, my sister was still living at home, which means I couldn't have been more than 14. So.... first time in at least 11 years, probably more than that. No, definitely more than that, cause that was when Fellowship of the Ring came out.

Anyway, still love it. It's fun but also creepy. Very odd. I really need to buy this movie, and Trick r' Treat, for Halloween time viewing.
The only other Peter Jackson movies I've seen are the Lord of the Rings movies and King Kong, it's interesting to see The Frighteners again. (The first time I watched it, Peter Jackson was still completely unheard of in North America. Lord of the Rings wasn't even a rumour yet. )One of these days I need to get ahold of Brain Dead.

The Frighteners

Just rewatched, first time since.... Gee, my sister was still living at home, which means I couldn't have been more than 14. So.... first time in at least 11 years, probably more than that. No, definitely more than that, cause that was when Fellowship of the Ring came out.

Anyway, still love it. It's fun but also creepy. Very odd. I really need to buy this movie, and Trick r' Treat, for Halloween time viewing.
The only other Peter Jackson movies I've seen are the Lord of the Rings movies and King Kong, it's interesting to see The Frighteners again. (The first time I watched it, Peter Jackson was still completely unheard of in North America. Lord of the Rings wasn't even a rumour yet. )One of these days I need to get ahold of Brain Dead.
Frighteners is a really awesome but flawed film. Fox is great in it, I just think it never fully figured out if it was a horror movie or a comedy or how to blend those together in perfect harmony.

If you wanna go down the PJ rabbit hole I can't recommend his best film enough: Heavenly Creatures. Very disturbing.

I'm too lazy to type up mini reviews for my latest cinema trip, BUT

I liked Magic Mike a LOT. It's my favorite movie of 2012
I liked The Watch a lot more than I thought I was going to!
Savages... I kind of have mixed feelings on. It feels more like old Oliver Stone than most all of what he's made lately. But it was kind of weird. It was interesting at least, I have to give it that.

Fuck it, I'll give my top 23 movies of 2012 so far

1)Magic Mike
Prometheus
The Cabin in the Woods
Chronicle
Brave
21 Jump Street
Haywire
The Grey
The Amazing Spider-Man
10) John Carter
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
Casa de mi Padre
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
The Watch
The Dark Knight Rises
Savages
Ted
God Bless America
Safe House
20) The Avengers
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Lockout

I rewatched Treasure Planet for the first time in forever today.

This movie is A LOT better than I remember it being. I seem to recall that it did poorly upon release...but I can't understand why. The animation is nice, Treasure Island works well in space (if you can suspend you disbelief), and the relationship between Silver and Hawkins is touching.

If you haven't seen it lately you should it give it a watch.

This movie is A LOT better than I remember it being. I seem to recall that it did poorly upon release...but I can't understand why. The animation is nice, Treasure Island works well in space (if you can suspend you disbelief), and the relationship between Silver and Hawkins is touching.

For some reason, I thought this post was about Cutthroat Island until I got to the word "animation".

Only real complaint I have about Treasure Planet was the robot was annoying as balls.

Specifically, balls that stick to your leg when it's hot out. (Too graphic?)

Charlie, I have to ask, why 23? Why not skim it to 20, or inflate it to 25? It's just an odd number.

Only real complaint I have about Treasure Planet was the robot was annoying as balls.

Charlie, I have to ask, why 23? Why not skim it to 20, or inflate it to 25? It's just an odd number.
I've only seen 23 movies that came out this year so far

I agree with the robot. At least it's only in the last half hour or so...a bit late to introduce a new character but, in this case, it works out. If you want a Robin Williams genie clone...just get Robin Williams to play it.

As for Charlie. I bet the simplest answer is the right one: He's only seen 23 movies. :p

EDIT: ninja'd and BAM!!

Watched The Amazing Spider-Man last night. The best part of the whole thing was the popcorn I ate while watching the movie. I love popcorn. The movie was a big disappointment.

It did poorly because they didn't advertise it well and I believe it was running up against stiff competition.

It seems to me that Disney often drops the balls when it comes to advertising things that won't have an easily made toy line.
Even when it WOULD have an easily made toyline they suck at it.

For the movie "The Wild", Disney forced the creators to redesign the characters so they could be more easily made into plush animals to be sold.
When they advertised the movie, which already shared it's premise with Madagascar and was already receiving negative press and accusations of "ripping" Dreamworks off, they chose for their tagline "Start Spreading the Newspaper" (First of all, what the FUCK kind of tagline is that anyway?), even though the song "New York New York" (:notes: "Start Spreading the News... I'm leaving today...":notes: ) featured in promos for Madagascar.
The advertising was so bad some people involved in the movie thought Disney was intentionally flubbing it in order to convince the higher ups to pay whatever Pixar wanted to get them back.

I forgot that movie even existed and had to go look it up to remember what it was.

That's another thing, Pixar...do they just concentrate all their advertising power on Pixar now? Jet who knew Lightening McQueen was months before he saw Cars just because of how much STUFF there is for cars. Same goes for Toy Story.

I'm strugglnig to remember another recent Disney property. John Carter? I think that was the last one?

John Carter would likely be the last one, unless you count Marvel stuff.
If we're limiting it to animated features, their last one was Winnie The Pooh, last year. Their next is Wreck-It Ralph.

That seems like a big gap between animated features. That makes me sad. I love animated movies...even if some of my 'mature' friends think I'm nuts for it.

That seems like a big gap between animated features. That makes me sad. I love animated movies...even if some of my 'mature' friends think I'm nuts for it.
A year between is what Pixar does as well. When you factor in that Disney OWNS Pixar now, they're essentially releasing two a year. One in summer and one in winter (Although that schedule was different last year- both films came out in the summer).
Wall-E, June
Bolt, November
Up, May
The Princess and the Frog, December
Toy Story 3, June
Tangled, November
Cars 2, June
Winnie the Pooh, July
Brave, June
Wreck it Ralph, November
Monster University, June
Frozen, November

Perhaps I'm just wearing my nostalgia goggles. I seem to remember that there used to be an animated movie coming out every month or so when I was a kid.

Then again, children have fucked up time frames so maybe there was a huge gap between movies and I just can't recall that.