[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I'm too lazy to type up mini reviews for my latest cinema trip, BUT

I liked Magic Mike a LOT. It's my favorite movie of 2012
I liked The Watch a lot more than I thought I was going to!
Savages... I kind of have mixed feelings on. It feels more like old Oliver Stone than most all of what he's made lately. But it was kind of weird. It was interesting at least, I have to give it that.

Fuck it, I'll give my top 23 movies of 2012 so far

1)Magic Mike
Prometheus
The Cabin in the Woods
Chronicle
Brave
21 Jump Street
Haywire
The Grey
The Amazing Spider-Man
10) John Carter
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
Casa de mi Padre
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
The Watch
The Dark Knight Rises
Savages
Ted
God Bless America
Safe House
20) The Avengers
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Lockout
You didn't like the hilariously shitty Lockout but liked Ghost Rider? You baffle me sometimes.

Perhaps I'm just wearing my nostalgia goggles. I seem to remember that there used to be an animated movie coming out every month or so when I was a kid.

Then again, children have fucked up time frames so maybe there was a huge gap between movies and I just can't recall that.
With Disney alone, it's pretty much been 1-2 a year, until Pixar came along.

...Although, actually, maybe it was a little bit more frequent than that. I started compiling the list, got to 2006 and didn't see The Wild, and realized the list didn't include features that were animated out of studio or by their direct to DVD department but still got a theatrical release.

Alright, for poops and giggles, let's do this. *cracks knuckles.*
Going back to 88. Seems around the time to cut off.

Black will be Disney Feature Animation
Red will be Pixar
Blue will be DisneyToons (These are the guys who worked on the direct to video movies, but did manage to somehow get a few to theatres)
Green will be third party, including Studio Ghibli (Who Disney has exclusive distribution Rights to) and ImageMovers (Who Disney Co-Owned) because I'm running out of colours that are actually readable on the default Halforums layout. Don't want to start using yellow.

Oliver and Company, November
The Little Mermaid, November
The Rescuers Down Under, November
DuckTales, August
Beauty and the Beast, November
Aladdin, November
The Nightmare Before Christmas, October
The Lion King, June
A Goofy Movie, April
Pocahontas, June
The Thief and the Cobbler,August (Richard Williams Production) (Side note: I didn't know this ever got a theatrical release)
Toy Story, November
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, June
James and the Giant Peach, April
Hercules, June
Kiki's Delivery Service, May (Ghibli)
The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars (Hyperion Pictures)
Mulan, June
A Bug's Life, November
Doug's 1st Movie, March
Tarzan, June
Princess Mononoke, October (Ghibli)
Toy Story 2, November
Fantasia 2000, January
The Tigger Movie, February
Dinosaur, May
The Emperor's New Groove, December
Recess: School's Out, February
Atlantis, June
Monsters Inc, November
Return to Never Land, February
Lilo and Stitch, June
Spirited Away, September (Ghibli)
Pokemon 4Ever (The Pokemon Company, 4Kids Entertainment)
Treasure Planet, November
The Jungle Book 2, February (THIS had a theatrical release?! REALLY?!)
Piglet's Big Movie, March (Again, REALLY?!)
Finding Nemo, May
The Cat Returns, May (Ghibli)
Pokemon Heroes (The Pokemon Company, 4Kids Entertainment)
Brother Bear, November
Teacher's Pet, January
Home on the Range, April
The Incredibles, November
Pooh's Heffalump Movie, February
Howl's Moving Castle, June (Ghibli)
Valiant, August (Vanguard Animation)
Chicken Little, November
Bambi II, January
The Wild, April (C.O.R.E. Animation)
Cars, June
Meet the Robinsons, March
Ratatouille, June
Enchanted, November (Patially counts, I guess?)
Wall-E, June
Bolt, November
Up, May
Ponyo, August (Ghibli)
A Christmas Carol, November (ImageMovers)
The Princess and the Frog, December
Toy Story 3, June
Tales From EarthSea, August (Ghibli)
Tangled, November
Gnomeo & Juliet, February (Starz Animation)
Mars Needs Moms, March (ImageMovers)
Cars 2, June
Winnie the Pooh, July
The Secret World of Arriety, February (Ghibli)
Brave, June
Frankenweenie, October
Wreck it Ralph, November
From Up On Poppy Hill, April (Ghibli)
Monster University, June
Untitled, October Frozen, November
The Good Dinosaur, May
Untitled, June
Untitled, TBD

So, production is definitely a bit trimmed down from the mid 90s, but that's because they aren't releasing as much drivel through third party studios or producing directo to video movies and then releasing them theatrically.

But there was of course also Bluth Studios and for a while Fox Animation, and after Katzenberg left there was Dreamworks, same as now. Only now we also have Sony Animation, Blue Sky, Illumination Entertainment, Lyka, Nickelodeon, and a few smaller ones). Pretty sure with all the players in the game now, especially with Dreamworks, there's less time inbetween animated films than there was back then, over all.

Perhaps I'm just wearing my nostalgia goggles. I seem to remember that there used to be an animated movie coming out every month or so when I was a kid.

Then again, children have fucked up time frames so maybe there was a huge gap between movies and I just can't recall that.
You're my age, so I'll tell you no, there weren't when we were kids. It just felt like that because around '92 is when the Disney direct-to-video sequel wagon started moving, so before every Disney VHS, we were getting four or five commercials. That could explain why it felt that way.

Before CGI got big and cheap, animated films were pretty expensive to make and few were made for this reason.

Salt

Surprisingly watchable. Went in a bit of a different direction than I was expecting. Has a very similar feel to Tomb Raider, is a bit hackneyed in spots (The Russians again? Really?), and leaves quite a few plot holes, but the action sequences are very action-y and the characterizations aren't so over-the-top as to be too cartoony.

--Patrick

Also Checkered, to you younger animation viewers, remember that Disney re-released their classics on the big screen once a year when the animation department became popular again.

I think there were also more animated movies and kid's movies/specials on tv than there are now, too. I can remember watching The Hobbit; The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; The Secret of NIMH; Charlotte's Web, and Rikki Tikki Tavi among others on tv as specials at night.

I don't have anything further to add to the above discussion as you all probably have the right of it.

Sooo...I watched The Great Mouse Detective today for the first time in ten or more years. It stills holds up, is a lot darker than I remember it being and had one of the more interesting villains I have ever seen. Jet seemed to dig it as well.

I think it doesn't get much play anymore because of that scene in the bar with the call girls... Disney has been doing it's damnedest to avoid enticing the furry crowd ever since they became vocal.

I don't recall seeing call girls...unless you mean the burlesque dancer?

Either way, stupid reason to not want to play a movie.
It's the same reason they barely play Robin Hood anymore (aside from the fact that Robin Hood is AT LEAST 30% borrowed animation from other movies like the Jungle Book and Bed-knobs and Broomsticks).

It's the same reason they barely play Robin Hood anymore (aside from the fact that Robin Hood is AT LEAST 30% borrowed animation from other movies like the Jungle Book and Bed-knobs and Broomsticks).
A lot of them reuse animation. But yeah Robin Hood is definitely the biggest guilty party.

I don't even care, it's still one of my favourites.

Just began watching Home on the Range. I'm barely ten minutes in and I already find myself annoyed with it. The animation is nice, very colorful..but the music and characters are...grating.

Edit: Done now. It got better. It didn't find it to engaging. Neither did Jet.

Back to the Future

I love watching this and the sequels every couple of months. But this time, I watched it with my niece, which was the first time ever for her.

And she loved it. :D She was squirming just as much as Marty was squirming nervously when his mom was putting the moves on him. She got just as excited during the final action sequence, where everything that can go wrong does go wrong.

And now we're gonna keep on trucking with the sequels tonight and tomorrow. :D

I didn't mind Cars 2. I understand that the Cars movies creates and moves the most merchandise for Pixar, so that's pretty much the only reason they made the second one: to make money. Both Cars movies are arguably the worst by Pixar, but as I've said before: a bad movie by Pixar is still a good movie compared to so many others.

Cars 1, that's true of. It's bad by Pixar standards but still surprisingly enjoyable. Cars 2 just flat out stinks though. Even compared to other studios' stuff.

It feels like they wrote out the plot for another movie, couldn't get funded for it because Disney wanted/was promised a Cars sequel so they just reworked it to be be Cars 2.

Sort of like how you can tell some video games that we tied in movie probably had NOTHING to do with the movie originally.

I liked the first Cars movie (until Noah started watching it once a day for a while). Cars 2, though, was awful. I'd rather watch the Mater's Tall Tales shorts. At least they're kind of funny.

(until Noah started watching it once a day for a while).
This was Jet. My solution after I felt my sanity slipping? Tell him we were going to watch Cars...then put on a different movie and PRAY. Nine time out of Ten he would whine for ten minutes...then get really into what ever we were watching.

That was my nephew too. My sister and brother in law put a stop to it when it started again with Cars 2. I guess they could take it with the first one, but the second movie was just too much.

They stopped letting him pick movies, and gave him options instead, so he felt like he was picking the movie but really they were. Now he loves Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. They also made the concious decision to get him into superheroes so if he wants to watch Cars they'll suggest Spider-Man instead. He's starting to love him some Spider-Man.[DOUBLEPOST=1343944807][/DOUBLEPOST]
It feels like they wrote out the plot for another movie, couldn't get funded for it because Disney wanted/was promised a Cars sequel so they just reworked it to be be Cars 2.

Sort of like how you can tell some video games that we tied in movie probably had NOTHING to do with the movie originally.
Or how Die Hard 3 was originally a Lethal Weapon movie!

That was sort of what we started doing after a while. Now I give my kids a choice of three movies. They have to be in agreement over what movie they want to see, too. It can't be that one wants to watch it and the other one hates it. Noah is nice enough that he gives in to his sister occasionally and just does something else while the movie is on. I don't do the "It's your turn to pick this time and next time it's her choice" because I would lose track over who picked last time.

Wow, I'm a jerk. Though I put up with repeats from my little cousins for two or three times, after three I'd put my foot down and say we were moving onto something else.

The only time I didn't get to stop it was on trips in the van, when they wanted to watch the same four episodes of Spongebob over and over. My aunts believed it was helping them build memory and without internet at hand, I couldn't explain to them how this is just something kids do.

Wow, I'm a jerk. Though I put up with repeats from my little cousins for two or three times, after three I'd put my foot down and say we were moving onto something else.

The only time I didn't get to stop it was on trips in the van, when they wanted to watch the same four episodes of Spongebob over and over. My aunts believed it was helping them build memory and without internet at hand, I couldn't explain to them how this is just something kids do.
Well, when your kid is 3years old and going through chemotherapy, you let him watch whatever the hell he wants, I guess.

Well, when your kid is 3years old and going through chemotherapy, you let him watch whatever the hell he wants, I guess.
...what?

I was just saying you guys were coming up with these creative ways to deal with child fixation and all I did was, "That is enough Pocahontas for this month!"

...what?

I was just saying you guys were coming up with these creative ways to deal with child fixation and all I did was, "That is enough Pocahontas for this month!"
It was more directed at the "Wow, I'm a jerk. Though I put up with repeats from my little cousins for two or three times, after three I'd put my foot down and say we were moving onto something else."

And I didn't mean for it to sound as....I dunno, defensive/ hostile as it wound up saying. Just imagine I threw a shrug in there. Imagine I threw a shrug in there.

I mean when the kid's in the hospital, you bring one or two movies, because there's no sense in bringing the whole collection, and you let him pick whatever he wants, not even out of spoiling the kid but just because you'd much rather he maintain interest and fall asleep.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Ted
No big surprises; I went in expecting a funny, irreverent movie and got what I paid for. Pretty damn funny at times, without overmilking the whole premise of a loudmouthed awakened teddy bear. Also, when I realized who the female lead was
I spent the rest of the movie pretending she's Meg Griffin who had given her asshole of a family the finger and moved to the big city ;)

Will I go see it again or buy it on DVD? No. Do I regret watching it? No. It delivered on its premise and managed to surprise a few times. Worth a watch and a few laughs, while also managing to pull on your heartstrings on occasion.

Delgo

Suffers from a really, really bad case of Poseritis* and the plot is a more than a little hackneyed. That plot, however, is surprisingly adult and even a little dark at times. The world and art design are also refreshingly original, and the mythos it creates is quite interesting and even compelling.

--Patrick
*Everyone moves like those wooden posable reference dolls, and their actions are distractingly jerky.

Ted was pretty funny and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Hearing Captain Picard talk about how awesome the weaponry of an Apache helicopter sure didn't hurt.

Ted

Just saw it tonight with HCGLNS and Squidleybits. I was scared for their life a few times because they kept choking on their pop due to laughing.

Personally, I thought it was hilarious, though like Family Guy, I hated some of the overly crude or offensive humour (like any jokes targeted at Jews). So, depending on how much of Family Guy's crude humour you can stand, your mileage may vary. However, unlike Family Guy, this felt a lot more focused. There were a few cutaway jokes (without, I think, using the "Like the time..." set up) but they were only used maybe a half dozen times. This felt more like American Dad or early Family Guy before it came back at got huge. There's a great deal of pop culture references which I have a feeling will date this movie badly in the years to come. They're hilarious now, but I doubt they'll hold up in 5 or 10 years time.

The story itself - while predictable - was well paced, the characters were well written (except for Kunis, who just felt like the token girlfriend), and even if Ted's a total prick, he's still likeable enough for you to care about him.

So yeah, hilarious even if the offensiveness pushes things a bit too far sometimes, and overall a lot better than I expected. Not something I'll likely watch again unless I'm bored and spot it on Netflix or something some day.