[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Mary Poppins Returns

If you loved the original, you'll love this one. It's different enough that you won't be bored, it's true to the spirit of the first one, and visually gorgeous. Lin-Manuel Miranda knocks it out of the park and Disney isn't afraid to let him carry scenes or entire songs... it really feels like his hand was at work with a lot of the choregraphy and song writing, especially during scenes involving the Leerys.

If you love musicals, this one is highly recommended.

Aquaman

I enjoyed it. It is super dumb, but it is visually stunning and I frankly appreciate how much they went all-in on capturing the ridiculous comic book shenanigans that come with a character like Aquaman.

Mary Poppins Returns

If you loved the original, you'll love this one. It's different enough that you won't be bored, it's true to the spirit of the first one, and visually gorgeous. Lin-Manuel Miranda knocks it out of the park and Disney isn't afraid to let him carry scenes or entire songs... it really feels like his hand was at work with a lot of the choregraphy and song writing, especially during scenes involving the Leerys.

If you love musicals, this one is highly recommended.
I haven't seen it, but I've heard the moral of the story more or less directly contradicts the original (in the sense that saving money is good and spending it on wasteful stuff is bad). I don't know how much truth there is to this statement?

I haven't seen it, but I've heard the moral of the story more or less directly contradicts the original (in the sense that saving money is good and spending it on wasteful stuff is bad). I don't know how much truth there is to this statement?
That was the moral of the story? Not about a father spending so much time at work you neglect your family, or that impossible things can happen everyday?

GasBandit

Staff member
Aquaman was good. Just as good as Wonder Woman. My only nitpick was, right at the beginning, why did manta and his father forget they were wearing scuba gear?

But, that aside, when you consider everything else that the movie had to offer (Mera), I think it held together much more (Mera) coherently than even (Mera) Wonder Woman, and thankfully there (Mera) wasn't really any GrimDark to speak of (Mera), and in general (Mera) the movie was a good Origin Story (Mera) told by someone with a genuine (Mera) respect for both the (Mera) source material and (Mera) the audience.

Also, Mera.

Last edited:
That was the moral of the story? Not about a father spending so much time at work you neglect your family, or that impossible things can happen everyday?
I don't think money was ever the point of Mary Poppins.
As I see it, Mary Poppins (in the movie, at least) is dispatched in order to remedy Jane and Michael's predicament, which IS mainly that their father does not spend enough time with the family for their family to truly be a family (and also to touch on some other issues along the way), but yes there is a bit of a lesson around money in there. At least three of them, really, showing that even a seemingly insignificant amount of money still has power to effect change. When lumped in with other money, it can be a part of great, grand things--railways through Africa, plantations of ripening peas, and all that. We also see uncertainty over such a small amount of money snowball into a full-blown bank run. And there is also a promotion of charity, where that small amount may still mean much to someone else (and as far as I'm concerned, "Feed the Birds" is one of THE strongest songs in the entire Disney catalogue). The money "lesson" is to remember that all of these things are possible and so money, much like the dad's time, should never be thoughtlessly allocated.

--Patrick

Last edited:
The moral is more "The things someone leaves behind aren't as important or valuable as your memories of them, which you can never lose", "It's good to be self reliant but it's necessary to have fun too," and "You can't let your adult problems interfere with the time you spend with your family."

Money comes up and drives the plot, but it's not the most important point in the movie.

In less than 24 hours, I have seen Mary Poppins Returns (with the sweetie) and Spider-Verse (on my own). This not-even-day has contained more cinema awesome than the past year in its entirety (which included Infinity War and Deadpool 2, both also fantastic). Hurray!

Well I have a new fetish now
I typed that before leaving work, and over the whole hour drive home, my brain kept suggesting new lyrics to “Step in Time” and “Spoonful of Sugar,” wondering how she knew Bert from before, and realizing just how much of her dialogue could be reused unaltered, and thinking, “You know, I made the comment as a joke, but all the pieces dovetail so eerily well that now I gotta wonder...”

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Last night I watched "The Christmas Chronicles" on Netflix. It was wonderful. Silly, campy, cheesy, goodness. I loved Kurt Russel as Santa.

Just got back from Crimes of Grindelwald. Not a perfect movie by any stretch, but I liked it, and it certainly sets the stage for the next movie(s). Too bad the prettiest witch died, at least in my opinion. Guess I'll now how to settle for rooting for the hottest wizard - at least I know for sure he won't die.

figmentPez

Staff member
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse the hype is real! Yes, yes, yes, this is one of the best movies. It's beautiful, smart, action packed, touching, and so much more. It is amazing, spectacular, incredible and every other superlative ever applied to the name Spider-Man.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse the hype is real! Yes, yes, yes, this is one of the best movies. It's beautiful, smart, action packed, touching, and so much more. It is amazing, spectacular, incredible and every other superlative ever applied to the name Spider-Man.
And there are already plans for sequels. It's almost like Sony can make money when they bother to write a competent movie.

Mission Impossible: Fallout
I really enjoyed this, much more than I expected I would. I watched Tom Cruise's stunt outtakes afterwards and was even more impressed. There were so many scenes that I was sure the actor was a CGI-Tom/stunt-Tom, but they weren't. I had so much fun watching it that I wanted to go back and watch some of the earlier installments.

Last edited:
Bad Times at the El Royale.

It...was okay? But I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping to be from the trailer. Solid flick all around, but yeah, wrong expectations I guess.

Cajungal

Staff member
Bad Times at the El Royale.

It...was okay? But I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping to be from the trailer. Solid flick all around, but yeah, wrong expectations I guess.
I have to admit, it wasn't what I expected it would be, but I loved it.

Aquaman (also known as the Things Blowing Up At Inopportune Times Movie)

I liked it. I'd say it's on par with Wonder Woman in the DC cinematic universe. The visuals are spectacular, the cast all do well, the plot held my interest, and the jokes generally all landed for me.

My wife pointed out something I thought was interesting. Wonder Woman was basically the DCEU's version of Captain America: The First Avenger, while Aquaman feels like the DCEU's version of Thor. The crown prince returning to reclaim his throne from his younger brother, who's determined to wage war against a realm he hates, but the crown prince can only do so after going on a long journey to prove his worthiness to wield the weapon that will give him the power to rule.

Also, Mera's all kinds of hot in every way possible.

Finally, a thought... what happened to that guy who was last seen with his head down a toilet?

Cajungal

Staff member
Bird Box.

Ehhhhhnh.

Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but other movies have done this better.

Also, regarding the very beginning of the movie...bitch, if you're so whiny about being pregnant, there are ways around it.

I saw Mary Poppins Returns with the kids and Aussie. Not a real fan of adult Michael and Jane. There was one song (Cover Is Not the Book or something like that) where the mildly risque humor was lost on my 9 year old . Lin Manuel Miranda's Jack is not a main character,but it seems like he is (and LMM is mediocre which adds to my confusion). Eh. It got me out of the house for a couple of hours.

Bohemian Rhapsody. Astounding. The energy at the concerts was amazing, the actors were fantastic (Malek of course, but also the guy what played Brian May looked like he just stepped from the mirror). Definitely a movie that is better in a theatre, but man. So good. The Live Aid section at the end is incredible.

Finally got to see Bumblebee. That was almost all I wanted from a Transformers movie. It's funny how many beats from the first movie it paralleled while going to show what that movie could have been if it had been written or directed by human beings that understand human emotions. A wonderful fuck you to the Bay movies and the first one in particular. Hilarious that it was made for less of a budget than even the first movie. Hailee Stenfield is wonderful and owns the show just as much as she did in True Grit.

PS: Thanks for not wasting our lives with a post credits stinger.

the Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

loved it. Loved every story in it. Would love to see more stories with each of those characters, and would pay a King's ransome for a full length Buster Scruggs story. While I loved each story, that first one really set a tone I was super excited for and each story after was so wildly tonally different.

GasBandit

Staff member
the Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

loved it. Loved every story in it. Would love to see more stories with each of those characters, and would pay a King's ransome for a full length Buster Scruggs story. While I loved each story, that first one really set a tone I was super excited for and each story after was so wildly tonally different.
It reminded me a lot of Four Rooms (1995)

So I finally say Hereditary. Watched it in the background while doing something else.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a horror movie that I found myself thinking about while trying to sleep at night and having it cause problems. So, well done I guess?

Bumblebee

A nice and fun movie about a girl and her brobot hangin' out in San Francisco!

ALSO-
-Cliffjumper dies, SUCH IS THE FATE OF ALL CGI CLIFFJUMPERS!

Hopefully they'll take this direction and use it for a soft-reboot to the franchise...emphasis on hopefully.