[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dave

Staff member
AND HOLY FUCK!! Remember my thread about actors that play multiple roles that blow your mind? The kid with no arms and no legs was fucking Dudley from Harry Potter!

GasBandit

Staff member
Buster Scruggs is uhhhhhh.....

huh. still have one story to go but we turned it off and went to bed. I'll finish it but probably on my own and then just tell my wife what happens in the last one.
The last one is worth it. The best ones are the first, second, fourth, and last. I didn't like the third one about the guy with no arms and I thought the fifth one was just too damned slow. But the last one ends with a specific creepiness that I think ties it together nicely.
Yeah, the last one made it almost worth it to have not stopped after the second one.

The big problem with a lot of them, in my opinion, is just that they're all like 5-10 minutes too long. I like the idea behind the actor one but oh man was it just too long for so little to happen. Same with the wagon train one with the lady and the dog. It's a fine story to tell but could have been told in 10 minutes, easy.

Man, so I watched Interstellar again with a friend who'd never seen it. I haven't watched it since it was new. It's basically a movie that's less than the sum of it's parts. There are some of the most amazing sequences ever put to film, the water planet, Matt Damon's world, the docking sequence (oh my God the docking sequence), the MUSIC (Hans Zimmer's best work), the bleak hopelessness of it, the hopefulness of it at the same time. The problem is it's tied together with some really hokey dumb shit. Love transcends time and space, the clueless nature of these "EXPERTS" to bungle into these situations, etc. It bogs it down. I still love this movie, but I just wish it was better where it needed to be.

Man, so I watched Interstellar again with a friend who'd never seen it. I haven't watched it since it was new. It's basically a movie that's less than the sum of it's parts. There are some of the most amazing sequences ever put to film, the water planet, Matt Damon's world, the docking sequence (oh my God the docking sequence), the MUSIC (Hans Zimmer's best work), the bleak hopelessness of it, the hopefulness of it at the same time. The problem is it's tied together with some really hokey dumb shit. Love transcends time and space, the clueless nature of these "EXPERTS" to bungle into these situations, etc. It bogs it down. I still love this movie, but I just wish it was better where it needed to be.
You've kind of described like 90% of Christopher Nolan's work.

Does it make at least a little sense?
If you’re having trouble following the movie, it at least makes enough sense to allow you to figure out the movie (but of course the two have their differences because Hollywood). I feel like there’s a lot about the movie you were just already supposed to know going in “because ‘70’s.”

—Patrick

The last one is worth it. The best ones are the first, second, fourth, and last. I didn't like the third one about the guy with no arms and I thought the fifth one was just too damned slow. But the last one ends with a specific creepiness that I think ties it together nicely.
I've seen it twice now. I think this is my ranking:
1. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
2. Near Algodones
4. All Gold Canyon
5. The Gal Who Got Rattled
3. Meal Ticket
6. The Mortal Remains

The first time I watched it, I laughed so hard at two scenes in Meal Ticket. So brutally dark. Cracked me up. The second time around bored me a bit. Both times the last story was a bit of a bore. It is a bit of a cliched campfire story.

The dialogue in Buster Scruggs is so fantastic. I've watched it about 4 or 5 times now. So good.

I like the Gal Who Got Rattled b/c it's a dark comedy disguised as a sweet romantic story.

I really like All Gold Canyon, but it's the most straight-forward, less-Coen-like one to me. I still like it a bunch. Waits is greats.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've seen it twice now. I think this is my ranking:
1. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
2. Near Algodones
4. All Gold Canyon
5. The Gal Who Got Rattled
3. Meal Ticket
6. The Mortal Remains

The first time I watched it, I laughed so hard at two scenes in Meal Ticket. So brutally dark. Cracked me up. The second time around bored me a bit. Both times the last story was a bit of a bore. It is a bit of a cliched campfire story.

The dialogue in Buster Scruggs is so fantastic. I've watched it about 4 or 5 times now. So good.

I like the Gal Who Got Rattled b/c it's a dark comedy disguised as a sweet romantic story.

I really like All Gold Canyon, but it's the most straight-forward, less-Coen-like one to me. I still like it a bunch. Waits is greats.
There's a fan theory about The Mortal Remains -

The Trapper, Lady, and Frenchman are actually already dead, and the bounty hunters are actually literally the grim reaper, and not figuratively as they suggest. This is why the coach won't stop - it is delivering them to the afterlife.

There's a fan theory about The Mortal Remains -

The Trapper, Lady, and Frenchman are actually already dead, and the bounty hunters are actually literally the grim reaper, and not figuratively as they suggest. This is why the coach won't stop - it is delivering them to the afterlife.
I got it, but I didn't think it was particularly clever.
The only thing the threw me off was the body on top of the coach. I guess that person was all dead whilst the passengers were mostly dead.

Man, so I finally got around to watching the first episode of the new MST3K season, Mac & Me.

I'd never seen it before now and wow....like, wow. Holy shit, wow. That this movie was made is pure insanity. These things are the ugliest God damn movie aliens fucking ever produced, from their awful mottled skin to their disgusting asshole mouths. The episode was pretty funny, but I guffawed out loud when Jonah was losing his mind at the shootout scene.

Green Book.

Really great performances from Viggo and Mahershala. Nice humor coupled with a couple of slightly heavy moments. Something was off though. Direction maybe. It feels like it could have been a little more polished.

We've got our tickets for Sunday morning! (Li'l Z has a birthday party to go to tomorrow, which I kinda wish we could skip because it's a long drive.)
Anyhoo, no spoilers!

GasBandit

Staff member
I saw it tonight too. Overall, good movie, but as I feared when I saw the trailer (and I think I commented on it then, too), the inconsistent framerate between the various models and scenes really did a number on my eyes. Gave me an almost-headache how sometimes the cars driving by would be 60fps but people walking would be animating at like, 5.

figmentPez

Staff member
Last night I watched "Downsizing". This is how I described it to Kags:

It was terrible. Just meandering all over the place. It's like someone tried very hard to knit a sweater out of scraps of yarn. It's pretty at points, and ugly in others, and there are parts that are more knots than knitting, and it's itchy, and won't keep you warm, but it'll still make you sweaty, and it's just not a good sweater, but damn it, it is a sweater.

Saw Spider-verse and loved it! So did Li'l Z, even though
he was a little scared by Kingpin, which means the movie did its job right.

Loved all the little details and I want to watch it again to catch anything I missed.

Also
does this mean the final Chris has been added to the Marvel universe? Have we collected all the Inifinity Chrises?

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?

Believe the hype.
Go see it.

Hands down the best Spider-Man movie. I went into pretty skeptical. I thought "it couldn't be THAT good, right?"

I was wrong.
It was better.

Go see it.

Sorry guys, hot take on Into the Spider-Verse.

I think it's probably the best super hero movie ever made and shame on Disney for booting Lord and Miller off of Solo, if Lord's writing and their producing got us Into the Spider-Verse. Instead Solo ended up being lame mediocre forgetful trite. I literally only have one tiny, itsy, bitsy nitpick. Why would Mary Jane be at anything Wilson Fisk throws? It's almost impossible to nitpick. The movie was nearly perfect.

PS: The end credits stinger is the best end credits stinger ever. It's been solved. No one ever needs to do one again.

Last edited:
I asked my husband if he was ok with me seeing it with the kids when he was out of town, he said it was fine. So we saw it, I told him it was amazing, then 30 minutes later he went to the movies with people at work and picked Spider-Man because of that.