[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Split is a damn fine movie. As with most movies dealing with psychology related issues, I had to turn off my psychology brain, but that's always to be expected with Hollywood.

But, yet another sign that the apocalypse is nigh. M Night Shyamalan actually made a good movie.
This kind of makes me think of something I know Lexi Alexander talks about. How female directors are rarely given chances in Hollywood and if one movie they make doesn't do well, they're out. I can think of few people who've gotten more chances than M. Night Shyamalan.

This kind of makes me think of something I know Lexi Alexander talks about. How female directors are rarely given chances in Hollywood and if one movie they make doesn't do well, they're out. I can think of few people who've gotten more chances than M. Night Shyamalan.
He's the Rob Leifeld of Hollywood.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

It's okay. It doesn't concern itself too much with continuity with the previous film(s), and the fight scenes use the three-cuts-for-every-punch style of editing, but it was fairly entertaining. I'd give it a five out of ten.

Also, you know how it says it's the final chapter? Yeah, about that...
Ugh, while I had my usual good time watching this, the jump cuts were fucking insane and almost ruined the stupid fun for me.

I do like that Umbrella decided to build some Space Marine Mastodon tanks.

I can't imagine watching the movie with a straight face after hearing Mila talk about doing the movie on some talk show. See, both she and Ali Larter had infants that were still nursing while making the movie. So Mila was talking about doing these scenes where she's suspended upside down, and how after a few takes they'd have to stop because a) the blood going to her head, and b) her breasts would start leaking.

On the flight to Canada, I watched a Japanese movie called Terra Formars, which I've mentioned once or twice on HF. It's based on an anime/manga about a bunch of people who are sent to Mars, which has been colonized by mutant cockroaches, in order to fight the roaches and wipe them out. The humans are implanted with bug DNA, giving each of them the unique abilities of a certain insect.

If taken as a movie, then this film sucks. It's clearly made for fans of the anime/manga, and relies a bit too much on prior knowledge of the universe, so exposition is rather thin in many places. Coupled with a plot that's full of holes and a tone that's all over the place, and this can be one confusing movie at times. Furthermore, the characters are generally one-dimensional and thinly-developed cannon fodder, even the ostensibly main characters among the cast. All in all, there are many problems with this flick.

However, if taken as a guilty-pleasure spectacle, then there's actually quite a bit of fun to be found here. The movie wears its anime and manga influences on its sleeve. For example, each character's metamorphosis is reminiscent of something out of Super Sentai or Masked Rider. Heck, they even change their hair styles and hair colors when they morph. The fight scenes are fairly well done, with little of the shakycam or hyper-editing of western action films. And despite the paper-thin characters, the cast throw themselves into their roles with gusto, delivering hammy or subtle performances as needed. Also, there were quite a few hot girls.

All in all, not a good movie, and not even a so-bad-it's-good movie, but nonetheless I had fun watching it.

Watched The Accountant because I don't care about football. It was pretty great, even though I saw one plot point coming from a mile away.

The thug Lithgow hired was also Affleck's brother.

The Lego Batman Movie

A friend of mine had tickets for an advance screening of it. He couldn't go, so me and my best friend went.

It.
Was.
Amazing.

The first twenty minutes alone are non-stop references to the entire Batman mythos, from blatant to obscure. I'll have to watch it a few more times just to unpack all the references.

The movie itself was hysterical and so much fun. Honestly, if you liked The Lego Movie, then you'll love this because I'd honestly put it on equal ground with it.

I'm honestly debating whether this is my favourite Batman movie of all time. That'll take time, hindsight, and multiple viewings, though. But I can see myself rewatching this a lot.

The Dakota Johnson Keeps Losing Her Panties Movie, also known as Fifty Shades Darker

Okay, firstly, the missus wanted to see this, and since it was her birthday yesterday we did what she wanted to do. Split and the Batman Movie were both playing too, but we saw this instead.

Now, there are two good things I can say about this movie. Firstly, it's not as bad as the first one. Secondly, Dakota Johnson's boobies are wonderful.

The script and plot have lots of problems. I've never read the novel, so I don't know if it's a problem with the original book or with the adapted screenplay. Some important scenes are glossed over, while some other scenes are completely pointless in the context of the movie. Next, the cast do their best, but sometimes their best just isn't enough. Jamie Dornan, in particular, simply can't hack it. There's one crucial scene where Christian Grey needs to go into full dom mode to defuse a situation, and it's meant to contrast against his softer behavior in the rest of the movie, but he just couldn't pull it off, which means that scene just feels awkward. Kim Basinger is completely wasted, she's too competent an actress for this movie. Dakota Johnson does well enough, but the script doesn't really call for her to stretch her acting abilities.

However, at least the movie generally isn't boring, and the sex scenes are reasonably hot.

Anyway, the silver lining is that next time it'll be my turn to pick the movie, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is coming out soon, so...

Lego Batman Movie: I'M LOOKIN' AT THE MAN IN THE MIRROR! LOVED it! Also Alfred's Kick-Butler costume needs to be canon YESTERDAY! And no that time he pretended to be Batman.

2 things I REALLY loved:A DC story that acknowledges Alfred as Bruce's father figure, and the fact that Batman hasn't really stopped crime....AT ALL in like 90 years.

Last edited:
John Wick 2

Fantastic. As good as the first one, if not better, but not quite as straight-forward/clear-cut with regards to Wick's actions. Great performance once more by Reeves and McShane. Also, the dog was a good dog. The best dog.

John Wick 2

Fantastic. As good as the first one, if not better, but not quite as straight-forward/clear-cut with regards to Wick's actions. Great performance once more by Reeves and McShane. Also, the dog was a good dog. The best dog.
They're good dogs, Brent.

The Lego Batman Movie was a lot of fun. It was a loving homage to everything Batman, and also trashed everything Batman, good and bad alike.
As well as DC in general! "Getting a bunch of criminals to fight other criminals, that's the dumbest idea ever!"

ALSO-was that Lieutenant Cash's actual VA from the Arkhamverse? If so, friggin' rad!

John Wick 2

It's not a habitual thing for a sequel of an "action movie" to be better than the original but John Wick 2 in every sense of the way, was a better movie.
Keanu was meant for this role and McShane is a legend. Fishburne will play a much bigger part in John Wick 3 surely and the way the movie ended sets the last movie to be legendary.

Watched it today, and I'm still in numbing awe how much I loved it.

John Wick 2

So yeah, that was awesome. Just as good as the first one. And we got more hints into this intricate criminal underworld. Great stuff.

I want John Wick 3 NOW, though.

I'd been waiting the last couple years to see this with my best friend, and we just haven't been able to, and now she's gone to Asia for three months at the same time it's hit Netflix, so ... sorry, but I just couldn't wait anymore. At least I'll be able to tell her it really is everything it's cracked up to be, lives up to the hype, etc.

It Follows. Jeeeeeeeeesus. I can remember the last good horror movie I saw (The Witch), but I can't remember the last time a horror movie had my heart thundering in my chest through so much of the running time.

I think I just need to see Krampus and then I'll be caught up on 2015's good horror movies.

B

BErt

It Follows was fantastic.

I just saw Frank. Have you guys seen Frank? You should watch Frank. Michael Fassbender plays the lead of an experimental rock band while he's wearing a giant puppet head and it's weird and beautiful and amazing.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I caught a few minutes of Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher on TV while channel surfing, and I'd just like to say I approve very much of this anime-style Natasha Romanoff.

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I caught a few minutes of Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher on TV while channel surfing, and I'd just like to say I approve very much of this anime-style Natasha Romanoff.
Get it while it's hot...

(ironic that this youtube video calls itself HD, it's 480p)

Looks more like Marg Helgenberger to me.
Also, why am I seeing Samurai Cop in so many places in the last week? Suddenly it's like Tommy Wiseau's face keeps popping up everywhere I go online.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Warm Bodies

I hesitated to watch this because I read the book, and I was worried they'd drop all the metaphorical stuff, but they didn't. It was there from the first scene. I didn't realize how much the story follows the the play ((R)omeo and (Julie)t) until I saw the movie, though. Really enjoyed this movie. Well directed, good music, etc. Recommended.