[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Warm Bodies

I hesitated to watch this because I read the book, and I was worried they'd drop all the metaphorical stuff, but they didn't. It was there from the first scene. I didn't realize how much the story follows the the play ((R)omeo and (Julie)t) until I saw the movie, though. Really enjoyed this movie. Well directed, good music, etc. Recommended.
I haven't read the book, bit I agree. Better than I thought it would be, turned out to actually be a good flick

John Wick 2: Eelectric Gunfualoo

Pretty good all around and in terms of action on par with the first one. What it does worse than the first one is the story. The first one is strait forward if far fetched and does exactly what it needs to do. This time around though they went a bit deeper into this underground world of high class assassins and it didn't work as well for me this time around. Some of the concepts like "The Sommelier" who has the same medallion/saucer that a sommelier would have but is just a gun dealer who describes guns like wine were just strait up dumb. I get what they were going for but it just didn't work in my eyes.

While the action itself is pretty great, some sequences were a little too zany or just had poor director choices. In one instance he's coming towards the camera and shooting people who had just shown up to view so it felt a little cheap. If the camera had been from behind and we'd seen these guys jump out and Wick's godlike reaction speed it would have worked better. There are also a few public fights that go...Really surprisingly unnoticed by the general population.

Overall still pretty dope and I'm hoping they make a 3rd one but I think that's all I'd want from this series. 8.5/10. Good action, OK story but some real goofy missteps along the way.

John Wick 2: Eelectric Gunfualoo

Pretty good all around and in terms of action on par with the first one. What it does worse than the first one is the story. The first one is strait forward if far fetched and does exactly what it needs to do. This time around though they went a bit deeper into this underground world of high class assassins and it didn't work as well for me this time around. Some of the concepts like "The Sommelier" who has the same medallion/saucer that a sommelier would have but is just a gun dealer who describes guns like wine were just strait up dumb. I get what they were going for but it just didn't work in my eyes.

While the action itself is pretty great, some sequences were a little too zany or just had poor director choices. In one instance he's coming towards the camera and shooting people who had just shown up to view so it felt a little cheap. If the camera had been from behind and we'd seen these guys jump out and Wick's godlike reaction speed it would have worked better. There are also a few public fights that go...Really surprisingly unnoticed by the general population.

Overall still pretty dope and I'm hoping they make a 3rd one but I think that's all I'd want from this series. 8.5/10. Good action, OK story but some real goofy missteps along the way.
I liked the Sommelier!

I liked the Sommelier!
You fool!

But seriously though I didn't like...HATE it I just felt it was a little...Too much? Like I'm imagining a guy dressed like that just sitting in that room and insisting to be called a Sommelier. If John had gone to a restaurant and asked to see the Sommelier and passed him a coin or something and then they'd taken him to the gun room it would have worked better in my opinion. I guess just my head cannon makes it seem weird, so a small gripe to be sure.

I loved the silliness of the whole underworld. I told my buddy, my theory is this is a world where people are used to these underworld folks doing completely insane shit around them and are jaded to it.

Get Out

Wow. That was one HELL of a thriller. A ton of build up - maybe a little too much build up - but once it starts going, holy shit. It gets crazier and crazier.

DEFINITELY go see this in theaters before it's done. Don't read any spoilers.

Lazer Team

Rooster Teeth's crowdfunded indie movie. It was... okay? I mean, considering that most of the main cast aren't professional actors, they actually performed well, though it wasn't exactly demanding. That being said, I've seen so-called professionals in B-movies do worse. The effects were also pretty decent for a cheap indie movie. It was funny, though not a lot of laugh out loud moments, and I've seen a lot worse movies. The pacing was good and it gave you about as much back story as you needed. A lot of the cheese factor seemed to be intentional, and I'm a long time RvB / Rooster Teeth fan so I was used to their type of humor.

Considering the budget was probably under $10 million, it could have been a lot worse. It seemed like a polished professional project.

To be fair, that's not really a high bar to meet. Only one or two are legitimately great. The rest range from okay to terrible.
Actually, the bar is set pretty high. Logan is better than the best of them, not better than the average.

Goddamn... fuck. Just... fuck. It's real good, that's all I can say, I'm still putting myself back together.
"Daddy."
Absolutely brutal.

Many places online are saying that it is the best X-Men movie. Not "recently," but "out of all of them (spoilers!)."

--Patrick
Yes, exactly.

I think it is fair to say that Logan is one of the best superhero movies from any studio.

Watched a really neat, super low budget ($17,000) sci-fi movie last night: Coherence. It's exclusively filmed within a suburban house in LA using a small set of actors. Hard to really explain it without giving away the surprises and why it's sci-fi, but it's one of those movies that gets more and more insane as it goes along.

KIND of hard to follow as it continues on, reminding me a little bit of Primer, but it's nowhere near as complicated as that. In fact, when I looked up an article afterwards that explained all the people coming and going out of the house, I realized it was even more complicated than I realized while watching it. Still really great stuff.

I've had a day to decompress from it, and Logan has still fucked me up.

I would recommend anyone watch this. You don't need to be a fan of comics, or comic movies, or even know anything about these characters to experience this thrilling, deep dive character drama. But if, like me, you grew up reading x-men comics, and then seeing these actors portray these characters for the last 16 years, then this movie will be even more powerful.

"Real life isn't like the comics"

Watched a really neat, super low budget ($17,000) sci-fi movie last night: Coherence. It's exclusively filmed within a suburban house in LA using a small set of actors. Hard to really explain it without giving away the surprises and why it's sci-fi, but it's one of those movies that gets more and more insane as it goes along.

KIND of hard to follow as it continues on, reminding me a little bit of Primer, but it's nowhere near as complicated as that. In fact, when I looked up an article afterwards that explained all the people coming and going out of the house, I realized it was even more complicated than I realized while watching it. Still really great stuff.
You know, I think I heard about this movie when watching a YouTube video on no-budget movies and how their restrictions can force a lot of creativity out of the production.

Where can one watch this?

You know, I think I heard about this movie when watching a YouTube video on no-budget movies and how their restrictions can force a lot of creativity out of the production.

Where can one watch this?
I watched it via Netflix. Though that's Canadian Netflix, so not sure if it's available in other countries.

GasBandit

Staff member
Saw Logan today. Powerful, powerful stuff.

Also, (spoilers)

I saw it with a buddy of mine, and his wife and their 9 year old daughter. Yes, they bought a 9 year old to an R rated movie, but they've done that before. She was a trooper through it, too, til the end - I think it really interested her having a female child protagonist of hispanic descent, as she's half Mexican herself, and her father is a big, muscley, gruff fella with a temper... so I bet there was a whole lot of "I can relate to that" going on in that film for her.

Which made the ending even tougher on her, where Laura has her daddy die on her. My friend's daughter started crying silently at that point, and crawled into her Daddy's lap, but didn't want to leave until it was all over.

And what is this business of not having a post-credits scene in a comic book movie?! HERESY.

I've not seen it but I've read that it was omitted in this case to leave the full impact of the ending intact. Again, not knowing what that may be I can't say if it was a good decision but we're going tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:
I've not seen it but I've read that it was omitted in this case to leave the full impact of the ending intact. Again, no knowing what that may be I can't say if it was a good decision but we're going tomorrow afternoon.
It still would have been nice to have Wade Wilson pop in and go "Hugh, after that . . . *points to image of DP from Origins* you really owed me a play date." *turns around and walks off to the 'sad Hulk theme from the TV show.

Saw Logan today. Powerful, powerful stuff.

Also, (spoilers)

I saw it with a buddy of mine, and his wife and their 9 year old daughter. Yes, they bought a 9 year old to an R rated movie, but they've done that before. She was a trooper through it, too, til the end - I think it really interested her having a female child protagonist of hispanic descent, as she's half Mexican herself, and her father is a big, muscley, gruff fella with a temper... so I bet there was a whole lot of "I can relate to that" going on in that film for her.

Which made the ending even tougher on her, where Laura has her daddy die on her. My friend's daughter started crying silently at that point, and crawled into her Daddy's lap, but didn't want to leave until it was all over.

And what is this business of not having a post-credits scene in a comic book movie?! HERESY.
I knew there wasn't going to be a post credits scene because what the fuck do you say after that?

I sat through the whole end credits just because I couldn't move.

I saw Logan as well and...that ending...THAT FUCKING ENDING!
WHAT EVER ICE WAS STILL AROUND MY HEART DEFINITELY MELTED WHEN LAURA MADE THE CROSS AN X!

Finally saw Arrival last night. I really liked it. It's just a solid sci-fi movie. It falls apart a little more as I think about it but I think that's true with a lot of movies like this. I want to read the book it's based on now a bit to see if it gets filled out a little more.

I just liked the bones of the movie, if that makes sense. The shot of the Shell with the clouds and mist coming over the mountain was amazing. The way things worked was complex but not so far out there that it felt like asspulls.

Maybe a 10/10. I'd have to think about it a bit more and maybe see it again.

Arrival didn't do it for me. I liked it. I like smartish sci-fi movies. But, the movie just kind of fizzled out towards the end. I didn't think there was good harmony between the two story lines and it made everything feel disjointed. Everyone on here loved it though.

I was glad to see a scifi movie get nominated for an Oscar for best picture. It was certainly better than Moonlight or Manchester, IMO. I haven't seen Fences or the others.

Arrival didn't do it for me. I liked it. I like smartish sci-fi movies. But, the movie just kind of fizzled out towards the end. I didn't think there was good harmony between the two story lines and it made everything feel disjointed. Everyone on here loved it though.

I was glad to see a scifi movie get nominated for an Oscar for best picture. It was certainly better than Moonlight or Manchester, IMO. I haven't seen Fences or the others.

I can see not liking it. There was a point when I was thinking about it if it was just
Slaughter house five, complete with upside down tralfamadorians

But I think it holds its own. I think if I would criticise it for anything it's that

Everything gets messy with time travel. I'm not sure how much I agree with the idea that becoming unstuck in time means you would just do the same things over and over again. That the future is already written and unchanging. Especially considering that the heptapods even showed up in the first place because they had to give humans the power of their language now so that humanity could return the favor in the future. Like Abbot and Costello know what's about to happen but still try to warn Louise and Hawkeye about the bomb, right? I dunno. Stuff like that always falls apart eventually for sure.

Kong: Skull Island: In a nutshell, enjoyable but not mindblowing.

Did you get kaiju blue balls in Godzilla 2014? No worry of that here, lots of solid monster stuff. That said, while Godzilla made many mistakes, when it got good it was hella impressive. Kong is evenly good throughout mostly, but never ascends as much in monster vs monster.

The humans/Kong story was more interesting. Didn't know the story took place in 1973 beforehand so that was a surprise. There's a good reason. Skullcrawlers felt there just to give Kong something to fight and their backstory with him sounds like a more interesting story.

As for doing anything new, this is the biggest Kong has ever been. Also the smartest he's ever been, which was unexpected but a blast. The cast really shines, especially Sam Jackson.

Must confess though, the post-credits scene was what put a giant grin on my face.

The end credits spoils this before the scene itself thanks to listing trademarks, but Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah all confirmed in awesome-looking cave paintings.

Reason the movie is set in 1973 is so Kong can be small enough to interact reasonably with humans but it's pointed out that he's young for his kind, still growing, so he'll be large enough to fight Godzilla in 2020.