[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

This is part of the problem with Terry Pratchet's works: Disney has (or had) the rights to Morte, were GOING to make an animated movie a few years back, then nixed it when they couldn't make it as family friendly as they wanted. There's a reason virtually all adaptions of his work are done outside the US.
And man, I don't want a Disneyfied version of Pratchett.

La La Land

This is really good. I went in with no idea that it's a musical, and I really like musicals, so that was a pleasant surprise. This movie can be thought of as a two hour long love letter to the classic movie musicals of the 50s and 60s, a la Singing in the Rain and West Side Story and My Fair Lady, etc. The music's catchy while hitting all the necessary emotional highs, and the story pays tribute to the romantic fantasy embodied by the Hollywood musical while also carving its own niche. The movie somehow manages to juxtapose realism with nostalgic fantasy, such as modern smartphones and other technology appearing alongside fashions from sixty years ago.

The cast are wonderful. This is Gosling and Stone's movie to carry, and they do great jobs, especially Emma Stone. Her singing's a bit too breathy for my tastes (as is Gosling's, really) but near the end she's finally given a song where she can finally cut loose vocally, and it's awesome. The supporting cast are great too, though they're basically background fodder for the two stars.

Good movie. Ten out of ten for me.

First, take a big step back... And literally, FUCK YOUR OWN FACE! I don't know what kind of pan-pacific bullshit power play you're trying to pull here, but Asia Jack is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down in a Godly fucking firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I'm talking about a scorched earth, motherfucker! I will massacre you! I WILL FUCK YOU UP!

Saw Rogue One. Pretty entertaining, especially the last 30 minutes. It really dragged for most of it, though, and the characters didn't have much depth. Even the main character wasn't as interesting or iconic as other characters in the franchise. She was okay, don't get me wrong, but there wasn't really much there for the character. All the characters felt, ironically, expendable.

The main villain really didn't do anything, either. He LOOKED great, but really did nothing. And was immediately upstaged by someone else late into the movie. There was also some serious uncanny valley in the CGI'd characters they "brought back to life."

Still, it had fantastic special effects and certainly felt like a Star Wars movie. I think I liked it more than Episode 7, but the more I think about that one, the less I like it.

Maggie

Arnold Schwarzenegger as a farmer, Wade Vogel, who is reunited with his runaway daughter, Maggie, during a zombie virus outbreak. However, she is already infected, and it's only a matter of time before she becomes a mindless flesh-eating monster.

This was a powerful, tearjerking movie. It's simple, and low budget, and quiet, which is a huge change for a Schwarzenegger movie. It's about hope, and love, and sacrifice, and despair in the face of a horrible illness.

One of the interesting things in it is the mention that instead of instantly collapsing, society has buckled, but is clawing its way back up - curfews and quarantines are working in reducing the infected rate, farmers are burning infected crops, and slowly things seem to be returning to normal (it's mentioned that school will be starting up again). It also humanizes the infected in a way most zombie movies don't bother with.

A sad but beautiful movie that didn't get the attention it deserved.

Rats. Neither have I, was hoping you'd be able to help me prioritize.

--Patrick
There hasn't been a US release yet. I'm hoping it either gets one soon or becomes available on streaming. The book was a really interesting read.

Here is the trailer for anyone who hasn't run across it yet:

Dear LORD did I love Sing! more than I thought, especially from that crappy first trailer. The songs were great, but what REALLY shown was the animation which was gorgeous. ALSO-a lot of good characters too with actual honest to goodness depth, I mean it would've been SO easy to make the husband outright not supportive of Rosita's singing ambitions but they don't and its great. Its not the best jukebox musical I've seen, but I'd love to see it again.

Dear LORD did I love Sing! more than I thought, especially from that crappy first trailer. The songs were great, but what REALLY shown was the animation which was gorgeous. ALSO-a lot of good characters too with actual honest to goodness depth, I mean it would've been SO easy to make the husband outright not supportive of Rosita's singing ambitions but they don't and its great. Its not the best jukebox musical I've seen, but I'd love to see it again.
Yeah, they dodged a few lazy tropes in that one.

Suicide Squad : What a convoluted mess. It felt so amateurish compared to Marvel and the storyline was baaaaad.

Good parts are Deadshot, to a degree. It's Will Smith as Dead Shot but Willl Smith always delivers. Harley is GREAT, best part of the film, story-wire, comedy-wise and look wise (dem never-ending legs). Diablo dude is great as welll.

Can I write scripts for DC? Seriously, pay me.

Suicide Squad : What a convoluted mess. It felt so amateurish compared to Marvel and the storyline was baaaaad.

Good parts are Deadshot, to a degree. It's Will Smith as Dead Shot but Willl Smith always delivers. Harley is GREAT, best part of the film, story-wire, comedy-wise and look wise (dem never-ending legs). Diablo dude is great as welll.

Can I write scripts for DC? Seriously, pay me.
I think you'll really dig this video, and I love folding ideas.

I attempted to watch Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing"

Dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. Flat acting delivering what should be charming and funny dialogue turns it into a senior english class reading it out. The black and white cinematography is pointless and in short, I turned it off after 25 minutes.

I saw Moana yesterday. I thought it was well done. The animators really earned their money because water is one of the hardest things to put into CGI form. It was also nice seeing a character played by Alan Tudyk stay alive through the entire film.

Dave

Staff member
Actually it gives you a deeper connection with the movie and central theme and allows you to be more fully invested in the main character whereas the first time you actually missed a lot.

Actually it gives you a deeper connection with the movie and central theme and allows you to be more fully invested in the main character whereas the first time you actually missed a lot.
I dunno, I liked it when I thought
That she was grieving the loss of her child during all of the flash forwards.

I feel you can probably watch it a second time in the same way you watched The Sixth Sense to see all the clues you missed though.

Dave

Staff member
A Monster Calls. If you haven't heard of this, it's about a young boy who starts talking to a giant tree monster. It's a very gritty and sad fairy tale. I liked it but will probably never watch it again.

Split

Holy SHIT. Go see this movie. No, seriously. Don't read anything about it. Avoid any and all spoilers. Just go see it.

Yes, it's an M. Night Shyamalan film, but it's the GOOD M. Night Shyamalan. This is SIXTH SENSE M. Night Shyamalan. This is UNBREAKABLE M. Night Shyamalan. It's like he finally listened to all the criticisms and brought back what made him successful in the first place.

There's not so much as a twist in this as a HUGE surprise. I absolutely will not spoil it. I beg and plead that you see it without knowing. My jaw fell to the floor.

Just go see it. Seriously. Go see it.

Last edited:
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

It's okay. It doesn't concern itself too much with continuity with the previous film(s), and the fight scenes use the three-cuts-for-every-punch style of editing, but it was fairly entertaining. I'd give it a five out of ten.

Also, you know how it says it's the final chapter? Yeah, about that...

Split

Holy SHIT. Go see this movie. No, seriously. Don't read anything about it. Avoid any and all spoilers. Just go see it.

Yes, it's an M. Night Shyamalan film, but it's the GOOD M. Night Shyamalan. This is SIXTH SENSE M. Night Shyamalan. This is UNBREAKABLE M. Night Shyamalan. It's like he finally listened to all the criticisms and brought back what made him successful in the first place.

There's not so much as a twist in this as a HUGE surprise. I absolutely will not spoil it. I beg and plead that you see it without knowing. My jaw fell to the floor.

Just go see it. Seriously. Go see it.

To be fair for reading ahead, I was really on the fence about the movie at first and read a synopsis and now I really want to see it, especially because of the end.

I kind of checked out at the end of the movie. I felt like they were spoon feeding that ending the entire time.

The VERY, VERY end of the movie is maybe one of the lamest God damn things I've ever seen.

Up until that point I really liked it. McAvoy acted the SHIT out of that movie.

Split is a damn fine movie. As with most movies dealing with psychology related issues, I had to turn off my psychology brain, but that's always to be expected with Hollywood.

But, yet another sign that the apocalypse is nigh. M Night Shyamalan actually made a good movie.