[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

That is indeed a tremendous movie, sir.

Just came back from District 9. It's a very odd movie. Not fun, not by any stretch of the imagination, but... fascinating, I guess that's the right word. My eyes were glued to the screen for the duration, and I didn't think once of looking at my watch. I think I liked it. Gotta let it sink in a little.

Saw Julie & Julia last night, I never read the blog or book that became this movie, though I imagine the movie differed in that it showed us moments in Julia Child's life that mirrored what some of the modern Julie faced. Light-hearted fare, good for couples, though if you are averse to Julia Child's voice, 2 hours of it (not the entire 2 hours) will not be pleasant.

O

Occasional Poster

I just saw Lars and the Real Girl and really liked it. Very pleasant and heart warming. Thank you to all who recommended it in the Real Life Picture Avatar thread. :)

I saw Watchmen earlier this week and it really impressed me. It was beautiful, interesting and suspenseful. I had not read the graphic novels and had managed to avoid spoilers (except for Kurtz's Ombudsmen parody...), so the film had me hooked 'til the end. It's just so refreshing to have a super hero movie go beyond the usual plot and really explore the characters.

I am planning to see In Bruges later this week. I have heard good things about it and am looking forward to it.

So I watched Mutant Chronicles tonight and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would have. It has some amazingly terrible dialogue and such but the mayhem in it made up for it. Honestly, for what was obviously a shoe string budget they did a damn good job.

So I watched Mutant Chronicles tonight and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would have. It has some amazingly terrible dialogue and such but the mayhem in it made up for it. Honestly, for what was obviously a shoe string budget they did a damn good job.
Completely agree. That film gets two big thumbs up from me.

The Cat Returns
A Studio Ghibli film. The best way I can rate this is by simply saying: It stands up to the quality that is Studio Ghibli.

T

TwoBit

Just saw Death At A Funeral on DVD. Despite coming highly recommended by several people, I didn't really find it that funny. Great cast, but poor material.

The last film I saw at the cinema was Inglorious Basterds. It was a way better than I was expecting. Despite the small amount of action and screen time of the Basterds themselves, it was a damn good flick.

Also saw District 9. I think I’d go so far to say that it was one of the best sci-fi films of the decade. Although I despise films with unnecessary sequels, I’d pay good money to see a District 10 or something.

Inglourious Batserds. Awesome. Much less action and violence than I expected, honestly, although that's not a bad thing. Christoph Watlz carries this movie. And Brad Pitt's "Italian" has to be heard to be believed.

It's sorta ironic that the titular basterds seem much more like supporting characters.

fade

Staff member
Corpse Bride
Why did this movie fall so quickly to the wayside? The critics loved it, and it did well in the box office, but then it seems like everyone promptly forgot about it. I sure did, until it showed up in my mailbox. I thought it was a superior effort in a lot of ways to Nightmare. The plot was tighter (though it wrapped a little too neatly.) The mood was very well done. It really captured a Victorian kind of darkness rather than the Edward Gorey look the first movie had. The directing and lighting were spot on. For instance, the dramatic zooms on the Bride's face. The musical effort was some of Elfman's best since Edward Scissorhands (which to me marks the height of Elfman's body of work). The piano songs and the skeleton dance were nice strong pieces.

District 9

It was everything the reviews said it was and more. Two big thumbs up.

Origin ~Spirits of the Past

Predictable and yet entertaining bit of anime. Worth a watch.

Sky Crawlers - Instead of getting the awesome flight based action anime I was hoping to get, I got a boring psychological movie about eternally youthful children/teenagers fighting a war that exists for no reason other than to perpetuate itself. This wouldn't be so bad if they actually went into that aspect more, but it just fell flat after awhile and they switched back to some other focus (mainly said children/teenagers having sex, drinking alcohol and acting emo) up until the main character decides to fight the enemy ace and get shot down as an act of suicide. By that point I wanted to join him.

If you like action and flight based combat, go see the Area 88 OVAs. If you want to see a psychological anime that goes somewhere and is consistent with itself, go see Perfect Blue. If you want a boring movie that the company releasing it decided to mislead people about by promoting the sparse action scenes and nothing else, go see Sky Crawlers.

P

Philosopher B.

The English Patient

Freaking weird film. Freaking great, though. I think I liked the bits with Binoche and co. best, though probably my favorite moment was when Kristin Scott Thomas slapped Ralph Fiennes and he tried to bury his face in her stomach while she was still whacking at him. I laughed at the absurdity of that for like five minutes and then had to re-watch it. The film had some really odd (yet rad) moments like that. But as I say, 'twas very enjoyable overall.

Just saw Death At A Funeral on DVD. Despite coming highly recommended by several people, I didn't really find it that funny. Great cast, but poor material.
Your FACE is poor material.

The Final Destination
Worst of the series.... and that's saying something. Weakest death scenes, weakest plot, weakest characters. 3-D was "so-so"

The Final Destination
Worst of the series.... and that's saying something. Weakest death scenes, weakest plot, weakest characters. 3-D was "so-so"
Just watched the deaths compiled on youtube.
Gotta say, death by getting your intestines sucked out your anus is not my favorite way to go.

I saw funny people last night in the dollar theater. It was alright.

Overall I enjoyed it, but there did seem to be some problems. It felt like they wanted to tell both character's stories but had to short change Seth Rogan because it was mainly about Adam Sandler. When they resolved Seth's girl problems, it felt forced and unrealistic because it just suddenly happened so they could get back to the main story. Really this just made the movie feel a little long. There was definitly a point where I could see the end in sight and was just waiting for it to happen at this point.

Other than that I really enjoyed how things played out. I think everyone did a good job and it's a movie I would certainly see again if anything for the jokes.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

"Those sir-ains loved him up and turned him into a horny toad!"

I love you, movie. :)
Easily STILL in my top 10 favorite movies ever. I can watch it anytime as often as I like and never for a moment get tired of it or feeling like fast forwarding to any singular part. Through and through a great movie.

Project-A Ko (anime)
This was my second anime and first "movie" anime I ever watched as a kid, so it has a very special place in my heart. Which of course leads it to get a higher rating from me than an objective review might be. It's basically a "parody" anime of alot of stuff that came before it in the 70s and 80s, but hey, it's on Instant Watch and a fun watch for 1 1/2hr. (Warning, Nudity and Lesbian undertones *gee maybe this had some impact on how I turned out huh? :rofl:*)

Watched Spaceballs and Labyrinth for the millionth time each. I never get tired of them. Spaceballs is not my favorite Brooks movie (Young Frankenstein by a mile), but it's easily one of his best. Labyrinth is just good old Henson magic.

The Hunted, as perpetrated by Friedkin.

I have never seen a more pointless movie.

Oh, and my husband? The Special Forces guy who loves all that secret ops stuff? Also bored to tears.

I watched Dororo at the recommendation of a friend.

It was pretty interesting. I loved the design and the scenic shots, but Dororo herself annoyed the shit out of me at times. Overall, I'd say a 3/5.

I just got back from seeing "9". I think it's a beautiful, dark, and well-written animated feature that offers a good dose of Steam-Punk esque science fiction. It's a relatively short movie (just under an hour and a half) and because of that I feel it moves too quickly. If you have seen the animated short you know the basics of the film, which feels like an extended and much more in-depth version. There's a lot of messed up looking stuff in this film. Nothing gory, but cloth seems to have a very skin-like quality as it peels off of monsters revealing rows of jaged metal teeth. Not sure if it's a great movie for the young-ins, but I think most pre-teens to adults should enjoy it.

Sin: The Movie (anime)
What a pile of refuse and a waste of 50mins. The movie was 100% predictable and cliched (badly) from start to finish. Very sub-par animation, dialogue and in effects. Do yourself a favor and skip it. It's not even worth watching on Instant Que.

fade

Staff member
I'm not scared (Io non ho paura) Very good movie about the loss of innocence. Based loosely on a true story about a kidnapping in Italy. Very touching moments. The color work was good, but the directing itself could use a little work. Very simplistic centered shots for the most part, but I guess it works for a film from the perspective of children. Definitely a recommended watch. Italian and subtitled.