[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Lot of people seeing District 9..... maybe I should hop on this wagon....

Was debating between this or Ponyo though....

Shannow

Staff member
District 9....damn, that was a great movie.

The Goods...fell flat. Had its moments, but mostly a meh.

District 9 was fucking awesome. Straight up.

Again, my enjoyment of the movie was marred by fat morons. Right behind me this rather rotund fellow thought every moment of the movie was worth roaring with laughter about. This would be fine if it were at the funny parts, but what really bothered me is when he laughed incredibly loudly at the scene where [spoiler:2cxxw229]Vickers is being forced to test weapons and he's crying his eyes out pleading with the scientists not to make him murder the "Prawn" with the weapon.[/spoiler:2cxxw229] Really asshole? That's hilarious to you? There's some concentration camp footage I think may bring a smile to your face you jiggly shit.

Black Christmas: 1974 Version

I had always heard about the "father of modern slashers" but never really got around to watching it, until Netflix put it on Instant Watch.

A bit dated, but you can really see where films like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Scream, When a Stranger Calls, etc got their inspirations. It was a great film, glad I finally got a chance to see it. It wasn't filled with gore or nudity unfortunately, yet it still really delivered some chills. :uhhuh: :thumbsup:

The Mutant Chronicles

Screw District 9, folks, THIS is the sci-fi movie I wish had gotten more press. Sadly, it got crap for a theatre release and is now coming to DVD on Tuesday.

But look at it this way: it's got Punisher, Hellboy and deadly little Miho teaming up to fight space zombies. Well...okay, the actors that portrayed those characters are in this, but you get he idea. It's freaking awesome and even gets you to care a little bit about a lot of the usual expendable characters. Every one of them had a little moment where I said to my roommate, "I like him/her!"

Seriously, I really wish this flick could have gotten more press and better treatment in theatres. Check it out when you can.

Ok, not directly about movies really, but seriously, how does this man have a job reviewing movies?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/author/author-2725/

His name is Armond White, and he quite possibly has the worst taste in movies of any human being walking the earth overall. If you ever wonder how a movie has a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it's because Mr. White here has given it it's sole rotten rating.

Lists of movies he's given positive reviews to recently:

G.I. Joe
Transformers 2
Land of the Lost
Dance Flick
Terminator Salvation
Next Day Air

Movies he's given negative reviews to recently:

District 9
(500) Days of Summer
The Hangover
Up
Star Trek

Now, I'm not one to shit on people for what movies they enjoy, but really? This guy is a professional movie reviewer. Some semblance of common sense on when a movie is shit and when it isn't has to be expected.

Ha ha ha ha, holy fuck, after googling his name, I found a thing where Roger Ebert defends him, then immediately retracts most of his defense after actually reading his reviews.

As of this morning, Spielberg-defending, Up-panning New York Press contrarian Armond White is one of only a handful of critics holding District 9 back from a perfect 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes — a hilarious fact that has so far inspired 542 irate comments and a campaign to have White removed from RT's listings. So last night, on his excellent blog, Roger Ebert, who liked District 9, chimed in with a typically thoughtful defense of White:

Yes, White disagrees with most people most of the time, and some people all of the time. Why is this a fault? He's an intelligent critic and a passionate writer, and he knows a very great deal about movies, dance, and many other things. His opinion is often valuable because it is outside the mainstream. He works for the New York Press, an alternative paper, and why should such a paper offer a conventional critic?

Then, presumably, he saw White's thumbs-up review of G.I. Joe.

This morning, Ebert added this to the top of his post:

On Thursday night I posted in [sic] entry in defense of Armond White's review of District 9. Overnight I received reader comments causing me to rethink that entry, in particular this eye-popping link supplied by Wes Lawson. I realized I had to withdraw my overall defense of White. I was not familiar enough with his work. It is baffling to me that a critic could praise Transformers 2 but not Synecdoche, NY. Or Death Race but not There Will Be Blood. I am forced to conclude that White is, as charged, a troll. A smart and knowing one, but a troll. My defense of his specific review of District 9 still stands.

Armond White is one of my favorite critics because I can look at his reviews, then immediately go the opposite way and know how I'll feel about the movie.

Garbledina said:
I don't know why I like it so much, as I'm not one of those people who became super gung-ho "Yeah fuck consumerism" after the movie,
Those people that became fuck consumerism and started fight clubs are generally morons, and completely missed the point of the entire movie. So, I'd take that as a good thing. It's definitely possible to love the movie and not take its "mantra" to heart.

Shannow

Staff member
ThatNickGuy said:
The Mutant Chronicles

Screw District 9, folks, THIS is the sci-fi movie I wish had gotten more press. Sadly, it got crap for a theatre release and is now coming to DVD on Tuesday.

But look at it this way: it's got Punisher, Hellboy and deadly little Miho teaming up to fight space zombies. Well...okay, the actors that portrayed those characters are in this, but you get he idea. It's freaking awesome and even gets you to care a little bit about a lot of the usual expendable characters. Every one of them had a little moment where I said to my roommate, "I like him/her!"

Seriously, I really wish this flick could have gotten more press and better treatment in theatres. Check it out when you can.
It ois only jsut coming out on DVD now? That makes no sense. i have seen it on tv multiple times, and even downloaded it over a year ago.

I think I have seen it 3 or 4 times now. And yes, it is awesome. Horrible, but awesome.

-- Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:28 am --

Frankie said:
Again, my enjoyment of the movie was marred by fat morons. Right behind me this rather rotund fellow thought every moment of the movie was worth roaring with laughter about. This would be fine if it were at the funny parts, but what really bothered me is when he laughed incredibly loudly at the scene where [spoiler:25d8q2b1]Vickers is being forced to test weapons and he's crying his eyes out pleading with the scientists not to make him murder the "Prawn" with the weapon.[/spoiler:25d8q2b1] Really *? That's hilarious to you? There's some concentration camp footage I think may bring a smile to your face you jiggly poop.
hahahah, a couple of fat ass nerdy morons were behind us during the movie last ngiht night. At the end, when the credits rolled and folks were getting up to leave, one of the two announced loudly enough to make sure he was heard: "well, there is 2 and a half hours of my life I wont get back."

We were shocked, since it was such a good movie. My friend turn back, looked at him, and said "Dont worry, Transformers 2 is playing right down the hall. That should be more to your level of intelligence."

fade

Staff member
I... I'm going to hate myself for posting this. I really am.

As I was drawing the other night, I had Epic Movie playing in the background--mostly as white noise when little else was on. I hate to admit it, but it actually made me laugh a few times. Mostly, it was Kal Penn. I actually laughed out loud when the White Bitch shows up. I said to myself, "Stifler's mom", and Kal Penn's character immediately says "Stifler's mom!" on screen. That and the obvious but funny White Castle joke ("I feel like I've been there before"). I won't even dignify the movie with a review, but it did have funny scenes, which is more than you can say about most of the "Movie" franchise outside of Scary Movie. Of course, that's like saying "At least it's only a heart attack and not cancer".

Shannow said:
We were shocked, since it was such a good movie. My friend turn back, looked at him, and said "Dont worry, Transformers 2 is playing right down the hall. That should be more to your level of intelligence."
:rofl: :thumbsup:

S

Silvanesti

500 days of summer

pretty nifty, i really enjoyed it, felt a little thin at some points, but the two main characters were intresting and the way the story was told was fun.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - Not an amazing movie, but I enjoyed it. The actress playing Norah had a good, dry sarcasm that I enjoyed.

Ponyo - Beautiful movie, all in all worth catching on the big screen. Ending is a bit abrupt which annoyed me a little.

Mutant Chronicles:
This movie had somehow slipped under my radar when it was released, but someone on the forums (TheNickGuy I believe) had posted a mini review. I went and looked it up and the story sounded "bad" great. I "mysteriously" obtained a copy and watched it through. I gotta say, other than some weak special effects, it was a damn good movie for what it was supposed to be. I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's basically summed up pretty well in the "summary" found on IMDB. I suggest a check-out if you can.

The Cell:
Just finished watching this on Encore. I had seen it only once before around the time it released and forgotten most of it (minus the Horse part, couldn't forget that!) and it reminded me very quickly why I enjoyed it so much the first time I watched it. NO freakin idea why I don't own this already. *jots it down on the "To Buy on Blu-Ray" list*

G.I. Joe

I've seen better action movies, but this falls under good enough as compared to the source material. Transformers or Transformers II should have been this good.

I am still a little bothered that a movie to sell toys to 8 year old kids gets made at the PG-13 level. Please keep the language more acceptable... The violence is still in the comic book realm, except for [spoiler:3lolarmf]the eye shots that Scarlett kept making.[/spoiler:3lolarmf]and electrocutions.

I had a few eye rolls at the dialogue. Especially how they kept squeezing in the cartoon catch-phrases at odd times.

Shannow

Staff member
National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1.

Was on one of the HD channels this morning, and I was up early before work for whatever reason. Watched it while getting some stuff done around the house. As hilarious as it ever was before.

M

Mr_Chaz

Shegokigo said:
stienman said:
nor eating enough chocolate frosted sugar bombs cereal.

-Adam
I freakin love Fallout. :D :thumbsup:
...You meant to say Calvin and Hobbes. I know that's what you meant to say. That had better be what you meant to say.

Brick

Nice movie. Kids acting/speaking like adults was a bit odd, but it somehow worked. The script is cool, and most of the acting is quite good. I swear Levitt looks like Heath Ledger. Maybe he could fill his shoes to finish out the trilogy. It's worth a rental; especially if you like film noir.

I Love You, Man

Funnier than I expected. My gf and I laughed all the way through.

R

rabbitgod

National Lampoon's European Vacation.

I was flipping through Netflix via 360 this morning trying to find something to play when I stumbled upon it. I forgot that I have Defiance and DS9 season 6 in DVD from netflix sitting on my kitchen table.

So I hit play. It was about the same as the last time I saw it. Some minor chuckles. There's boobs so it can't be that bad.

fade

Staff member
drawn_inward said:
Brick

Nice movie. Kids acting/speaking like adults was a bit odd, but it somehow worked. The script is cool, and most of the acting is quite good. I swear Levitt looks like Heath Ledger. Maybe he could fill his shoes to finish out the trilogy. It's worth a rental; especially if you like film noir.
One of my favorite recent movies. Snappy dialogue, great acting, wonderfully understated music (played on wineglasses!), etc. A good solid break from 3rd Rock from the Sun by Gordon-Levitt.

Cajungal

Staff member
Frankie said:
District 9 was fucking awesome. Straight up.

Again, my enjoyment of the movie was marred by fat morons. Right behind me this rather rotund fellow thought every moment of the movie was worth roaring with laughter about. This would be fine if it were at the funny parts, but what really bothered me is when he laughed incredibly loudly at the scene where [spoiler:282g4ctd]Vickers is being forced to test weapons and he's crying his eyes out pleading with the scientists not to make him murder the "Prawn" with the weapon.[/spoiler:282g4ctd] Really asshole? That's hilarious to you? There's some concentration camp footage I think may bring a smile to your face you jiggly shit.
He laughed at that?! It upset me so badly I almost cried out loud during that last part. That was one of the most horrible scenes I've seen in a while. The movie was great, touching. I loved the kid alien. I loved that final shot. Way to make me hate a guy and then suddenly root for him, movie.

ElJuski

Staff member
Actually that might make me laugh too, but I just read the absurd, out of context line in the spoiler tags.

Just watched Rescue Dawn this morning. What a fucking waste of time.

Cajungal

Staff member
I can see that making someone laugh OUT of context [spoiler:1ge45v2u]because of the slur that's used for the aliens, especially[/spoiler:1ge45v2u]. But when you're watching the actual scene it's horrible. I felt ill. :(

Watched Ponyo. Not one of Miyazaki's best works but definitely one of the prettiest.

Also watched La Femme Nikita. I liked it all right right after watching it, but my opinion of it has been slowly sliding down to "meh" ever since.

House on Haunted Hill - 1950's Version
Woefully starting to pick at the leftovers in the Netflix Instant Watch Horror selection (why is there never anything good in this genre for instant view?) I decided to watch a black and white Vincent Price flick I hadn't seen yet.
Being a fan of the "remake" I thought "Let's see where the inspiration comes from". Sadly I was dissapointed that it was just a murder mystery and not a supernatural horror. Still the awesomeness that is Price is more than enough reason to sit through this 1hr little film. He's still fantastic.

fade

Staff member
Shegokigo said:
House on Haunted Hill - 1950's Version
Woefully starting to pick at the leftovers in the Netflix Instant Watch Horror selection (why is there never anything good in this genre for instant view?) I decided to watch a black and white Vincent Price flick I hadn't seen yet.
Being a fan of the "remake" I thought "Let's see where the inspiration comes from". Sadly I was dissapointed that it was just a murder mystery and not a supernatural horror. Still the awesomeness that is Price is more than enough reason to sit through this 1hr little film. He's still fantastic.
I much preferred the original, because it had the whole psychological thrill aspect. The remake was just non-scary gore (to me). Plus, the skeleton rising from the acid is classic, and has been spoofed or copied about a billion times. Also, if it makes you feel any better, there were ghosts...they just showed up off-camera at the end.

fade said:
drawn_inward said:
Brick

One of my favorite recent movies. Snappy dialogue, great acting, wonderfully understated music (played on wineglasses!), etc. A good solid break from 3rd Rock from the Sun by Gordon-Levitt.
I didn't know it was wineglasses -- that's cool. The way the only 2 adults act in the movie is really interesting. It gave a vibe like the kids rule the world. Like Lord of the Flies meets The Maltese Falcon. Good stuff!

D

DougTheHead

The Hurt Locker

Holy shit, this movie was good. It's basically a balls-out action flick that was made with skill and intelligence by an independent studio. The movie takes place in Iraq, and follows around a 3-person bomb squad whose job it is to defuse or detonate roadside bombs. The bomb-defusing scenes are tense, the explosions look and sound like real explosions, and there are zero stupid artificial-tension-generating devices. At no point in this movie is there a red LED ticking down the seconds; at no point does the demolitions expert not know which wire to cut. And yet the movie is one of the most gripping, nerve-wracking experiences I've had in a theater. The tension comes from caring about the characters involved, and knowing just how little control they have over any given situation.

Best of all, even though this is set in Iraq, nobody tried to turn it into a "message movie." It doesn't make political statements, and doesn't turn its characters into ciphers. It's just the merciless application of Hitchcock's bomb-under-the-table rule, with characters we care about. And lots of explosions.

P

Philosopher B.

Death At A Funeral

Basically a modern-day screwball movie about a bunch of crazy British people getting mixed up at the head of the family's funeral. I thought it was pretty funny, and everything came together in the end nicely. Alan Tudyk was an absolute riot, though I could've done without seeing him blow spit bubbles naked, as well as the shit humor. :confused:

Philosopher B. said:
Death At A Funeral

Basically a modern-day screwball movie about a bunch of crazy British people getting mixed up at the head of the family's funeral. I thought it was pretty funny, and everything came together in the end nicely. Alan Tudyk was an absolute riot, though I could've done without seeing him blow spit bubbles naked, as well as the shit humor. :confused:
I freaking loved this movie. :thumbsup:

"Everything's so fucking green!"