[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Charlie Dont Surf said:
I just saw King of Kong for the first time. [spoiler:m0l8l24g]And was exhilarated, and then immediately depressed when I read that Mitchell beat his score right when the movie was released[/spoiler:m0l8l24g]
I liked it, but kind of hated it too. I know folks have hobbies and all, and I shouldn't knock down the dude's hobby, but everyone seemed like total losers. It was a bit hard to root for the guy. If Mitchell wasn't the king of douchebags, it would have fallen flat. But, the documentary is solid, and I enjoyed it all the way through. That sounds a bit contradictory. :bush:

Michael Palin: Around the world in 80 days

Just finished this on netflix. Fantastic. I found myself burning through the episodes (~3 a night!) and not getting bored. It is a story more about the journey and not about the places. Very nice. The last episode has a great line when Palin [spoiler:m0l8l24g]talks to guy on the streets of London and he's really rude, and Palin says something sarcastic like "Good to be back in jolly ol England!"[/spoiler:m0l8l24g]

If you like travel documentaries, I'd definitely check it out. I'm currently watching Pole to Pole.

North_Ranger

Staff member
drawn_inward said:
If you like travel documentaries, I'd definitely check it out. I'm currently watching Pole to Pole.
It's official now! Santa Claus lives on the Arctic Circle! Michael Palin said so! YOU'VE SEEN IT!! :twisted:

Also:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgTyVkpJY3g:9ejqrdlc][/youtube:9ejqrdlc]

North_Ranger said:
[quote="drawn_inward":2fmisgt2]If you like travel documentaries, I'd definitely check it out. I'm currently watching Pole to Pole.
[/quote:2fmisgt2]

It's official now! Santa Claus lives on the Arctic Circle! Michael Palin said so! YOU'VE SEEN IT!! :twisted:

Also:

Hey, I thought about you when he made his way through Finland! Everyone seemed friendly! And, now I know where he got that song.

You liked the Happening and hated Grandma's Boy?

Well for future reference if I ever want to know I will like or dislike a movie, I'll just take your exact opinion and choose the opposite. :rofl:

Hate would probably be too strong a word. There were some parts of it that I thought were funny (the kid shacking up with one of the grandmas), but a lot of it was just...stupid. The head programmer with that robot voice was just annoying. Hell, the character as a whole was just fucking annoying, and not in a "love to hate them" kind of way that an antagonist should be. The main character was ridiculously unlikeable right from the start with no redeeming qualities and yet still gets the super hot chick as the token love interest.

This was a movie for a stoner audience, which is something I'm not a part of at all.

M

Mr_Chaz

The Ugly Truth

Yeah, that sucks. It felt like they'd got a standard cliched rom-com, and given it to a 12 yr old script doctor. It was rom-com with swearing and a vibrator.

I saw Ordinary People last night, and it was amazing. I don't have much in depth to say about it, but I was blown away when I saw afterward that this was Hutton and Redford's(directing) first movie. They were both really amazing and earned their Oscars. I feel kind of sheepish about raging(pun intended) about Raging Bull's snubs in 1980 now. Although I still haven't seen Raging Bull. It could be better, but at least Ordinary People is definitely a worthy Best Picture.

Fanboys - I saw this last night. Twice. Oh my GOD is this a funny movie! And by the way I'm talking about the actual movie, not the documentary. It's like a Judd Apatow movie and a Kevin Smith movie had sex and had a baby movie. I recommend it highly.

Trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809424382/trailer

Now, critics hated it and Roger Ebert was one. But I so disagree with him and even have noticed some factual errors in his review when it came to the movie. I'm not sure he really watched it that critically and starts the review with an opinion against the geek culture that I think colored his views.

I liked it better than "Pineapple Express" and my wife did also - and she's not a geek.

Firestarter:
Watched it for the umpteenth time, though it was a first for my GF. Happened to be on "Encore" last night. Still enjoyed it, really does stand the test of time quite well.

Cigarette Burns:
While desperately trying to find some good horror films to watch on "Instant Watch" I finally broke down and picked something with a high rating, even though the plot didn't really appeal to me from the description. Well, for a "quickie" (it was only 50mins long) it did the trick. It was "to the point" it didn't waste alot of time on useless scenes, and the plot was pretty decent.

Shannow

Staff member
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I feel kind of sheepish about raging(pun intended) about Raging Bull's snubs in 1980 now. Although I still haven't seen Raging Bull. It could be better, but at least Ordinary People is definitely a worthy Best Picture.
Okay, at this point are you are jsut a snob trying to belittle folks opinions? Do you actually SEE anything before railing against it and throwing assholish opinions because you want to look down at others and be cool?

Not to sound mean, but you seem to want to throw your opinions out there about movies and things, and you do not see them at all. Thats what is comes across to me, anyways

Shannow said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I feel kind of sheepish about raging(pun intended) about Raging Bull's snubs in 1980 now. Although I still haven't seen Raging Bull. It could be better, but at least Ordinary People is definitely a worthy Best Picture.
Okay, at this point are you are jsut a snob trying to belittle folks opinions? Do you actually SEE anything before railing against it and throwing assholish opinions because you want to look down at others and be cool?

Not to sound mean, but you seem to want to throw your opinions out there about movies and things, and you do not see them at all. Thats what is comes across to me, anyways
Well, it was the general thing that it was incredulous that Scorcese never nabbed a best picture or best director(until 2007). I took people's words that Raging Bull was great because I've seen the other really great Scorcese joints.

Shannow

Staff member
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Shannow said:
[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":1t0ntj4n]I feel kind of sheepish about raging(pun intended) about Raging Bull's snubs in 1980 now. Although I still haven't seen Raging Bull. It could be better, but at least Ordinary People is definitely a worthy Best Picture.
Okay, at this point are you are jsut a snob trying to belittle folks opinions? Do you actually SEE anything before railing against it and throwing * opinions because you want to look down at others and be cool?

Well, it was the general thing that it was incredulous that Scorcese never nabbed a best picture or best director(until 2007). I took people's words that Raging Bull was great because I've seen the other really great Scorcese joints.[/quote:1t0ntj4n]

yeah, but if you came to me saying that, and I would then simply ask "Ah, so you realy liked it too, then?" And you told me you had not even seen it, I would have probably laughed at you and dismissed the opinion you jsut gave me, and others you may give further. And from there most likely pushed you into the douche category of people in my brain. Also there: hipsters. Man, how I hate those fuckers.

What I meant was I had said in the past "it's a damn shame that Scorcese has never won an Oscar". And raged against the Academy not giving him any Best Director/Picture love. I did that without having seen Raging Bull. And now I've seen Ordinary People, and it's at least a very worthy Best Picture. Which Dances with Wolves was not, and DEFINITELY not over Goodfellas. And as much as I love Rocky, Taxi Driver was MUCH better. I hope this gets across what I'm saying. I definitely wouldn't say specifically that Raging Bull is better than Ordinary People when I hadn't seen either movie.

Shannow

Staff member
Ah, sorry. Seemed like you were saying you were in the "raging" crowd without seeing it and you had been previously saying it had deserved to win without even seeing the movie. my fault there.

fade

Staff member
American Psycho (2000): Classic example of disappointment caused by overexpectation. The way you guys talked about it, I was ready for a great film. It wasn't terrible, but it was fairly mediocre for most of its run. It made its central thesis with the first 15 minutes and then kept repeating it over and over again. I liked the ambiguity about whether or not he actually did what we saw on screen. And don't get me wrong, I appreciated the commentary on consumerism and the desensitizing loss of self, but like I said, it just kept repeating itself. It dragged a little, and the photography was a bit boring.

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.

Pretty generic, if enjoyable, chick flick. If you're a single guy, don't watch this alone. It's pretty fun and entertaining to watch with the right company, though :whistling:

Bubble181 said:

Pretty generic, if enjoyable, chick flick. If you're a single guy, don't watch this alone. It's pretty fun and entertaining to watch with the right company, though :whistling:

Are you dating a 12-year old girl?

fade said:
American Psycho (2000): Classic example of disappointment caused by overexpectation. The way you guys talked about it, I was ready for a great film. It wasn't terrible, but it was fairly mediocre for most of its run. It made its central thesis with the first 15 minutes and then kept repeating it over and over again. I liked the ambiguity about whether or not he actually did what we saw on screen. And don't get me wrong, I appreciated the commentary on consumerism and the desensitizing loss of self, but like I said, it just kept repeating itself. It dragged a little, and the photography was a bit boring.
I can see, based on your previous movie assesments as to why you didn't like it. I on the other hand, worship this film along the lines of another favorite of mine, Natural Born Killers. I guess because when I watched both films, I felt they could really happen in "life" as it stands right now. So I put myself in their shoes during most of the film, which really took it places for me.

They're just so fun in their "freedom".

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Bubble181 said:

Are you dating a 12-year old girl?

I watched it with a cute girl who mockedthe movie possibly more than I did, thank you very much :-P

D

DougTheHead

Saw District 9 at midnight last night. I hadn't heard anything about it, so I didn't know what to expect, but I thought it was interesting. My opinion of it is sort of mixed, honestly. SPOILERS FOLLOW.

First, the computer tech behind this show is fucking amazing. The aliens really looked like they existed in the world, and the whole thing gave off the feeling of a genuine documentary, or at least a convincing Christopher Guest-style mockumentary. Peter Jackson really needs to get his effects team working on more movies, if they manage to look like this. This movie actually made me regret that the Halo movie fell through.

Story-wise... I dunno. It seems like the people who made the movie had a purely theoretical understanding of how to inspire emotion in the audience, and the screenplay seemed to jerk back and forth between a standard action movie and a quirky exploration of a fully-realized sci-fi world. The movie would really start to get into, say, the bizarre economic symbiosis that had sprung up between the aliens and Nigerian militiants, and right when the whole situation started to get interesting, it would start another mindless action sequence, like the movie was afraid the audience's attention would wander if they didn't see something explode every five minutes.

I'd personally have loved to see the world and the characters fleshed out a lot more, with less stuff blowing up- although everything in the movie blows up real good, often in wet, bloody chunks. The movie's hero is a pretty unconventional choice, but other than him you never get much of a sense of any of the other characters, who are generally either cardboard-thin and/or cartoonishly evil. I had a great time and would recommend seeing it, but it was occasionally difficult to look past the missed opportunities.

S

Singularity.EXE

District 9 as well and spoiler's ahoy!

District 9 had the feel of a bi-polar movie. On one-hand it started off as genuinely feeling like a a documentary, good set up and good use as a prologue. Then it sort of shifts into an action / sci-fi movie, which while still good and enjoyable didn't have the depth that I was expecting from the trailer I had seen. Admittedly, I've kept this movie largely unspoiled, never seen more than one trailer so that might be where this is coming from.

Now, I suffer enough from an inability to suspend my disbelief. And especially in a movie that attempts (and does a fairly good job of) to make the entire situation realistic, the plot device that forces the main character into the story was a fucking stretch. The same chemical that fuels their spaceships also can turn humans into the aliens? Say what? A bit too much of a stretch, and this from a guy who forgives the "teenage girl in a mech" trope (which is also in the movie.)

But overall I thoroughly enjoyed the film. And the gravity gun.

District 9

With all the films out there trying to do the documentary style "home camera" look it's nice to see a film that blends that with actual action footage that happens "off camera". The hero, Wickers, is believable. And I say that because he is clearly scared and in it for himself. Much like a real person would if he were forced into a similar situation. I mean if you were turning into an alien, and the government wanted to cut you up and perform genetics tests, you'd probably not give too much of a damn for the aliens that are inadvertantly responsible for your current condition.

Oh and...
Pig launcher for the win.

Edit: In a quick response to Singlarity's disbelief that a fuel can change a person's DNA, I think it's important to note that all of the alien technology requires their unique DNA to activate, so it wouldn't be a far stretch to assume that their technology includes samples of their DNA intergraded into it. The fuel that sprayed Wickers in the face was a concentrated amount that had been collected from alien techology for 20 years. So their fuel is probably just crazy DNA juice.

District 9 sounds so interesting, and if we had more cash, I'd do a double-feature this weekend. But we're only seeing one movie and Miyazaki beats out the rest.

escushion said:
District 9 sounds so interesting, and if we had more cash, I'd do a double-feature this weekend. But we're only seeing one movie and Miyazaki beats out the rest.
Yay! Need to check that one out this week, myself.

District 9

I liked it quite a bit. Great to see a sci-fi flick that isn't just a SCGI bonanza and has an actual story that uses the special effects built around the story (see also: Pitch Black, Cloverfield).

That said, I do agree that it was kind of all over the place. I wish the filmmakers could decide whether to make it a documentary or just a good movie. The action sequences at the end draged on a bit too long, but it had some nice touches (the arm that he stops the rocket with is the same one that started the whole mess in the first place).

I also feel like they set up a sequel a little too easily at the end. It could have just as easily ended with some kind of short, "Three Years Later" sequence at the end, you know?

District 9 was everything I wanted it to be. Loved nearly every second of it, but as with others, I wouldn't have been upset had they dialed back a few of the action sequences a tad. I enjoyed it so much I'll be going again tuesday as well as seeing Time Travellers Wife then too.

District 9 was incredible. Charlie, it's not as critically acclaimed as Yentel or Fried Green Tomatos but I think the rest of you will enjoy this. Great story. I had no problem with the action scenes. And is it wrong to hope the aliens wipe out mankind?

To Kill A Mockingbird: This is not the last movie I've seen. I watched it Saturday night and have seen two wonderful movies since, Ponyo and The Cat Returns, but this one still has an impact since 24 hours ago, enough to plow through it. It's one of those movies I should own and was unfortunately only renting.

escushion said:
To Kill A Mockingbird: This is not the last movie I've seen. I watched it Saturday night and have seen two wonderful movies since, Ponyo and The Cat Returns, but this one still has an impact since 24 hours ago, enough to plow through it. It's one of those movies I should own and was unfortunately only renting.
Was The Cat Returns a double feature with Ponyo? And how was Ponyo?

Shawnacy said:
escushion said:
Was The Cat Returns a double feature with Ponyo? And how was Ponyo?
Ponyo was very good, and cute. The middle of the movie is what makes it worth going to the theater for. Kinda' sinks a little in the third act, but still good.

The Cat Returns is one of Miyazaki's older movies, but we got it from Netflix three weeks ago and decided it was about time to watch it.

Also: HAAAAAAAAAM!

Fight Club was on TV the other night. I didn't finish it (seen it before, had to study) but I still like it. I don't know why I like it so much, as I'm not one of those people who became super gung-ho "Yeah fuck consumerism" after the movie, in fact, it depresses me when I see all that beautiful IKEA furniture blown to pieces... ...excuse me, I have something in my eye.

Fight Club still remains one of my top 20 faves ever. No question.

One of the few films I enjoy Brad Pitt in, and of course Ed Norton as always is fantastic.