[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Garbledina said:
Philosopher B. said:
Death At A Funeral

Basically a modern-day screwball movie about a bunch of crazy British people getting mixed up at the head of the family's funeral. I thought it was pretty funny, and everything came together in the end nicely. Alan Tudyk was an absolute riot, though I could've done without seeing him blow spit bubbles naked, as well as the poop humor. :confused:
I freaking loved this movie. :thumbsup:

"Everything's so smurfing green!"
Great movie, and Alan Tudyk and I share the same birthday!

Last House on the Left: Remake
As a huge fan of this "realistic murder" genre I was waiting for the uncut version of this to come out (I hate watching films like this in theatres) and I finally got my hands on it. This is a prime example of a "remake done right". It didn't fool too much with the original plotline and the things it did change were pure addition and no subtraction from the enjoyment of this film. The only thing I didn't like, was the obvious ending but hey, gotta give the audiences what they like. From beginning till the last 20mins of the movie I was in heaven. Great film.

Cajungal

Staff member
Iiiiiiiiiiiiii just saw the Live Riff of Plan 9 from Outer Space. And it was awesome. So, so awesome. Hilariously awesome. And Jonathan Coulton is freakin cute with long hair. :drool:

Cajungal said:
Iiiiiiiiiiiiii just saw the Live Riff of Plan 9 from Outer Space. And it was awesome. So, so awesome. Hilariously awesome. And Jonathan Coulton is freakin cute with long hair. :drool:
GAH I FORGOT THAT WAS TONIGHT.

I'm a bad MST3K fan. :(

T

Twitch

I just got back from a Inglourious Basterds and then drinking with some friends who saw it but I can say quite easily that this is one of the greatest mother fucking movies I have ever seen. There's shit in here that had the entire audience cheering and laughing and other parts where the only people laughing were me and my history major friends. This is a must see.

Augh. My new glasses (old ones lost) aren't going to be here until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest and there are SO MANY MOVIES I want to see this weekend. I have RX sunglasses, but I don't want to see movies blurry or darkened :(

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Augh. My new glasses (old ones lost) aren't going to be here until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest and there are SO MANY MOVIES I want to see this weekend. I have RX sunglasses, but I don't want to see movies blurry or darkened :(

Burgess Meredith feels for you.

fade

Staff member
The Emperor's Club
I picked this one because I'm a big fan of Kevin Kline and Rob Morrow. Unfortunately, this is yet another in the long line of insipid boarding school movies that Hollywood churns out regularly. Sure, there's the occasionally amazing one, but most of these tend to follow the same pattern. The teacher is spectacular, and speaks the way no one speaks in real life. He's passionate, and the kids love him. Enter the bad/seemingly dumb/poor kid (this one is not poor, but fits the other two well), and the teacher feels compelled to change him. Rough moments, montage, kid all better. Of course, you've got to throw in the kid's uncaring father, too. The boarding school scenes make up about 3/4 of the movie, set in the 70s. The rest takes place in the present, where the "bad" kid tries to redeem his bad actions as a student.

Is there anything redeeming? Actually, yes. This movie is more realistic than the others of its breed. [spoiler:1mr9jcb1]The bad kid seems genuinely redeemed (and is clearly intelligent) but cheats at a popular quiz contest, and ultimately slips back into his old ways. Kline's morals are tested when his headmaster tells him to let it go to save sponsorship. In the present, he seems again to have redeemed himself. He is rich and successful. But when he invites the original participants to a rematch of the quiz show, he is caught cheating again by Kline (who still doesn't reveal it). On top of all that, Kline is racked with guilt, because he intentionally held back an intelligent student to get the bad kid into the contest in the first place. Finally, to cap everything off, Klines ambitions to become headmaster are spoiled because he has no fundraising experience.[/spoiler:1mr9jcb1] So, all in all, more realistic, with less of the "super-teacher" saves all attitude. Also, as with many movies of its kind, it is filled with beautiful scenery, which makes the watching pleasurable at least. Also, Kevin Kline is brilliant as usual. I still can't figure out how a man with such a flat affect manages to get across so much emotion.

tl;dr: Yet another boarding-school super-teacher film, but with a realistic twist.

S

Steven Soderburgin

DougTheHead said:
The Hurt Locker

Holy shit, this movie was good. It's basically a balls-out action flick that was made with skill and intelligence by an independent studio. The movie takes place in Iraq, and follows around a 3-person bomb squad whose job it is to defuse or detonate roadside bombs. The bomb-defusing scenes are tense, the explosions look and sound like real explosions, and there are zero stupid artificial-tension-generating devices. At no point in this movie is there a red LED ticking down the seconds; at no point does the demolitions expert not know which wire to cut. And yet the movie is one of the most gripping, nerve-wracking experiences I've had in a theater. The tension comes from caring about the characters involved, and knowing just how little control they have over any given situation.

Best of all, even though this is set in Iraq, nobody tried to turn it into a "message movie." It doesn't make political statements, and doesn't turn its characters into ciphers. It's just the merciless application of Hitchcock's bomb-under-the-table rule, with characters we care about. And lots of explosions.
I told you fuckers.

Inglourious Basterds

It was surprising, and excellent. I highly recommend this.

I also rewatched Pulp Fiction with some friends who had never seen it. Still a big fan of that. It was Tarantino-y day I guess.

Dead and Breakfast
Campyness + Gore + Zombies + Chainsaw = Hilariously good horror on Netflix Instant Que. I wish there were more options for horror movies that weren't utter trash though.

Shannow

Staff member
Saw inglorious Basterds twice this weekend. Fucking great movie. the Jew hunter is going to get an oscar nod.

M*A*S*H

I decided to finally watch the movie after having seen the entire series. It either really didn't hold up over time or it has just always been kind of 'meh'. Everything the series had was in there as well, but it just didn't click with me or something.

North_Ranger

Staff member
The Adventures of Robin Hood - with Errol Flynn.

Nice, if somewhat dated. 12th-century English pantyhose industry was boomin'!

The Wrestler
Just wow. I see why this movie got so many accolades and praise. It was fantastic from beginning to end. Recommended watching even for non-wrestling fans (maybe especially for them). Great great film.

Feast 2 & 3
Great great little B Horror films. Nudity, tons of gore, no holds barred on who/how they kill and it's a perfect "flow" from Feast 1-2-3. If you liked the first one, or movies like "Tremors" but with more gore, I highly recommend the Feast series.

The Muppet Movie: You know the term "refrigerator movie", where you're seeing it on your TV and it seems great, but afterward you get up and it all starts to fall apart? I think this was the opposite. Not that it was ever bad, but a lot of it just seemed okay, until afterward. When the movie was over, I felt real good and stuff that didn't make me laugh when I was watching it made me laugh when it came again in my head.

This is one of those rare movies where the songs don't feel like padding also. I actually enjoyed them. I have a feeling I never saw this when I was little, despite thinking I had. While I'm used to more merry, innocent chaos than the amount of plot in this film, I did enjoy it overall.

P

Philosopher B.

The songs in the first Muppet movie are bleeding epic. I'll sing random snippets of 'Movin' Right Along' and 'Can You Picture That' at the randomest of times.

The last movie I saw was The Godfather, which was effing fantastic. It felt surprisingly haunting, too, especially the music. I loved the horse-head bit, even though I've heard about it/seen it parodied a billion times. It still worked. Probably my fav part was when Michael
pops off Sollozzo and the policeman. The steely look on his face leading up to that bit is awesome.

There was just so much to like. Immediately after I've seen the sequel, I want to watch the first one again. I was so disappointed when it ended, though the ending moment was fantastic.

Muppets Take Manhattan: Guess I'm on a Muppet kick; I'm throwing the Caper to the top of Netflix, damn what the woman says. Wish they had Muppet Christmas Carol though.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first one more, but this still had all that peppy energy I love. Wish more of the Muppet gang had attention than Kermit and Piggy, but it was still a lot of fun. "Together Again" is really damn catchy.

Be Kind Rewind: Wow, that was good. I unfortunately can tell where the reshoots and edits and add-ins were after-the-fact, since I know the movie was delayed before its theatrical run. I don't care though, because I think amping up the whole Fats subplot was a solid move. There was a lot that made this movie special, both in message and style. I highly recommend it.

Cajungal

Staff member
The Rifftrax of Casablanca. I giggled. There were a lot of funny parts, but I found myself too distracted by the movie to pay attention to the jokes at times. I sensed that they were all dying to just be silent during some of the scenes.

Still, I enjoyed it. Next up? Probably The Matrix, LOTR, or Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

M

meyoumeyou

I'vehonestly paid it almost no attention, butthe TV has been on Sy(ci)fy(fi) a good part of the day today, with random horribad movies playing...

I did just realize escushions lady's eyes almost perfectly seem to match the "special" effects eyes of the aliens (hidden in human form o' course) in one of said movies.

Saw I.B. the other day as well... Theater was packed with rowdy meathead dudes all excited about blood and killin'... I think the moment the first of MANY subtitles came on they got very, very confused.
What a wonderful movie, not at all what I expected, but so much better.

Walled In
Terrible "thriller" movie. Watched it because I'm running out of horror movies to watch on Instant Que Netflix.

Undead or Alive
Fun movie if you're in the mood for a predictable zombedy.

Taking Woodstock: I was the youngest person at the showing, but I liked it. It was fun and focused more on how the events affected the main character.

Saw GI Joe today, was an okay action flick, didn't much like the shaky camera with the fight scenes, felt too much like a FPS game in those scenes, and didn't bring enough tension into the fights because of it. CGI looked very off at times, was too obvious that "actors" that were being thrown around by explosions weren't real, felt like they rushed that part of production and went with second draft and not final draft.

It wasn't the GI Joe that I grew up with, and that was long before the cartoon series, my GI Joe had a kung-fu grip. Definite sequel coming.

Race to Witch Mountain - saw it yesterday on dvd, liked it, had some nice homage to the original movies, but not really memorable.

S

Silvanesti

Repo! - decided to give it a second chance after some forumites said it was good. And it wasn't as bad as i was expecting, some of the songs were decent.

All in all though, i dont think i would ever want to watch it again, just way too jumbled and too much focus on "hey look how goth this shit totally is"

C

chakz

Just saw GI Joe. I absolutely loved it. I would not call it a good movie. But it was very entertaining. It was like a Saturday morning cartoon for adults. Plenty of explosions. fighting and over the top characters. The plot and acting were by no means good but they weren't bad enough to get in the way which as about what I want out of a movie like this. The only real problem I had with it were the accents. Every single one of them was truly abominable.
Obviously the movie is mostly show without much depth, but it knows how to work a crowd and it was quite entertaining. It was kind of like going to the circus.

G

Gill Kaiser

I finally saw Watchmen, and the Director's Cut at that. I thought it was a very good adaptation of an extremely complicated story, and I actually thought that the new ending was better than the one in the graphic novel.

I remember when the film was released a lot of people kept going on about Dr. Manhattan's "big blue penis" and how they didn't need to see it, but I don't know what they were talking about. I barely noticed it because I found myself looking at his face most of the time, like one would any normal person. I think some people seem to have been so hung up about A NAKED MAN ON SCREEN that their eyes were drawn to his package at every opportunity, and they for some reason think of this as a problem with the film rather than themselves. I have to wonder, is this an American thing?

For the most part, the acting was great, especially Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach and Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan. I was originally put off a bit by the understatedness of Dr. Manhattan's voice, as I'd always envisioned a more otherworldly voice for the good Doctor, but after getting used to it I think it added a serene and slightly melancholy quality to the character that worked nicely.

Repo! - decided to give it a second chance after some forumites said it was good. And it wasn't as bad as i was expecting, some of the songs were decent.

All in all though, i dont think i would ever want to watch it again, just way too jumbled and too much focus on "hey look how goth this shit totally is"
You watched Repo! and got "goth" from it?

Wow. I don't know what to tell you. I think you were watching it with a very odd mindset.

---------- Post added at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

I finally saw Watchmen, and the Director's Cut at that. I thought it was a very good adaptation of an extremely complicated story, and I actually thought that the new ending was better than the one in the graphic novel.
Great adaptation... sure... if you ignore every single scene with Laurie in it. :rolleyes:

just saw Up! At the dollar theater today. Whoo boy was that good. Might have to see it again before it gets replaced.

I remember when the film was released a lot of people kept going on about Dr. Manhattan's "big blue penis" and how they didn't need to see it, but I don't know what they were talking about. I barely noticed it because I found myself looking at his face most of the time, like one would any normal person. I think some people seem to have been so hung up about A NAKED MAN ON SCREEN that their eyes were drawn to his package at every opportunity, and they for some reason think of this as a problem with the film rather than themselves. I have to wonder, is this an American thing?

For the most part, the acting was great, especially Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach and Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan. I was originally put off a bit by the understatedness of Dr. Manhattan's voice, as I'd always envisioned a more otherworldly voice for the good Doctor, but after getting used to it I think it added a serene and slightly melancholy quality to the character that worked nicely.
Keep in mind, a lot of those complaints about Dr. Manhattan were back when the movie was in theaters, and his shlong was probably bigger there than your whole TV (I say probably cause I didn't see it and handed my fiance the graphic novel in lieu of renting it.)