[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

It's not so much I didn't like the slow pace of Alien. I think I just wasn't in the mood for it. I'm not sure. It's still a brilliant movie, regardless of how I feel about the pacing.

And yeah, I meant to ask which version I should watch. I feel like there's half a dozen different versions out there.
I've watched a few versions over my lifetime and enjoyed all of them. I really like the visuals and the concepts, even if it's not always a fast-paced action flick. I also think that Rutger Hauer's Roy left a deep impression on me when I was little and I snuck a peak when my parents and their friends were watching it at home. He frightened me, but I really wanted to see what happened to him. I think most recently I watched a Director's Cut that was releases a few years ago, so I'd vote for that version.

Transformers: Age of Extinction on Netflix. I think Man of Steel had more concern for collateral damage than this movie.

Ghostbusters was...fun? So funny I was rolling, particularly in early scenes. Not a great comedic movie like the first, but good, and fun, and I'd see it again for sure. A couple things that were missing:

- Went from act 2 to the act 3 climax rather abruptly, with almost no reason to do so. Could have used a couple scenes of plot and character development instead of just thrusting them into action at the end without resolving some of the character stuff they set up early.

- Villain was a little weak, again, missing like 1 or 2 scenes setting up some characterization.

- Hilarious at the beginning gave way to more action at the end. Ghosts looked fantastic (so good I think it scared my 9 year old a little). It looks like they cut a scene right in the middle of the climax that would have been hilarious and I think would have fit beautifully. I'd like to see how the movie flows with it in the middle of the movie instead of after the credits.

Ghostbusters (2016)

So, the new Ghostbusters is...okay. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. It was okay. I don't regret seeing it, I laughed quite a few times (mostly in the first and second acts), and it was mostly enjoyable. The third act is kind of a mess. Most of the special effects are pretty good, but man, they lean heavily on the "WHOA, LOOK AT THIS!" 3D stuff.

I'll likely never watch it again, but yeah, it was okay.

fade

Staff member
Event Horizon

I hadn't seen this until last night. It had potential and the technical stuff wasn't bad. But it took forever to get started, and it squandered so many opportunities for scares even while setting them up. Overall pretty weak. Even the squicky parts were pretty tame.

Event Horizon
I hadn't seen this until last night. It had potential and the technical stuff wasn't bad. But it took forever to get started, and it squandered so many opportunities for scares even while setting them up. Overall pretty weak. Even the squicky parts were pretty tame.
I saw it very shortly after seeing Merlin. It was somewhat jarring, and not just because I sometimes confuse Sam Neill with Robert Urich.

--Patrick

Event Horizon

I consider that a coming-of-age movie for me. I dragged my dad to many crappy movies I wanted to see when I was young, but this was a rarity where we both wanted to see it, and both came out of the theater saying "That sucked." I did a lot of growing up during Event Horizon.

Saw Ghostbusters with my bro today. ...UGH! This was not my cup of Ecto-cooler. There were some good laughs and action scenes, but the plot was SO paper thin. Also-WHY WAS CHRIS HEMSWORTH IN THIS FILM? His character sucked ass and added NOTHING!

Honestly the only saving grace for me was that MINUTE of classical animation.

I am not rewatching this any time soon.

Edit: Actually I do wanna say the main Cast wad really good and in a better film they'd shine out more.

Last edited:
Saw Ghostbusters with my bro today. ...UGH! This was not my cup of Ecto-cooler. There were some good laughs and action scenes, but the plot was SO paper thin. Also-WHY WAS CHRIS HEMSWORTH IN THIS FILM? His character sucked ass and added NOTHING!
As eye candy, duh. Same reason Uma Thurman was in The Producers.

fade

Staff member
An example of a scare that was set up but not followed through: the corridor that quote looked like a meat grinder. That had Chekov's Gun written all over it, but it played zero role. Same with the spikes they kept zooming in on in the engine room. Never used.

I liked it.

Kate McKinnon especially.

Chris Hemsworth's character was great.

Villain was lame, but he was like most origin stories, window dressing to the main characters.

Well, in short, FTL travel in WH40K involves using The Warp, which is essentially Hell. The idea is that a warp-capable ship will enter Warpspace, ride the energy currents of The Warp for a time, and re-emerge into realspace at a vast distance from where they started - thousands of light years in a matter of days. However, The Warp is the realm of Chaos, ruled by the Gods of Chaos and inhabited by Daemons, furies, and other nasties. Not to mention the nation of warping reality, distorted time and space, etc. Event Horizon is what happens when an unprepared humanity dares enter the Warp.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, the concept that a hyperdrive cuts through Heaven or Hell (or some other impossible realm) seems to be a fairly common trope.

Well, in short, FTL travel in WH40K involves using The Warp, which is essentially Hell. The idea is that a warp-capable ship will enter Warpspace, ride the energy currents of The Warp for a time, and re-emerge into realspace at a vast distance from where they started - thousands of light years in a matter of days. However, The Warp is the realm of Chaos, ruled by the Gods of Chaos and inhabited by Daemons, furies, and other nasties. Not to mention the nation of warping reality, distorted time and space, etc. Event Horizon is what happens when an unprepared humanity dares enter the Warp.
Which is also the doom storyline, albeit with teleportation rather than warping ships.

GasBandit

Staff member
And Army of Darkness, if you really want to push it.

Jaunting was more teleporting, wasn't it? Not a passage through space between, just a sudden relocation to a new place?

--Patrick
Unless you were awake when you jaunted, in which case it subjectively took an unknown number of years, maybe hundreds, possibly thousands....

Took my kids to see Ghostbusters today. It was fun! It wasn't a cinematic masterpiece, but neither was the original, and this one benefited from advancements in special effects. My daughter who generally doesn't like movies in this vein liked this one.

Well, for a long time people thought that escaping our atmosphere would doom you to a death from causes unknown, as if the processes of life itself could only function while within our atmosphere. But then some crazy Russians changed all that perception.

--Patrick