[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Whoever edited the thing went a bit trigger happy in the editing booth in their desperation to get it down to 2 hours and 20 minutes, essentially destroying flow and pacing for the sake of keeping all action bits, even pointless ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder encouraged that. "Don't cut the action, it's looks coooooooooool! No one pays attention to the plot!"

No, I take that back. It did explain the reasons. The reasons were just dumb.
But it's still a difference! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder encouraged that. "Don't cut the action, it's looks coooooooooool! No one pays attention to the plot!"
I'm pretty sure he was one who insisted on the shorter running time. I don't know if he had a hand in the actual editing process though. Apparently the original cut was FOUR FUCKING HOURS. They chopped that down to the three hours. Then came a further chopping down to the theatrical cut. Scene ordering was shuffled around a bit during all this, which surely didn't help the pacing or coherency. Giving it back a half hour at least connects some dots.

That's part of the reason I appreciate Christopher Nolan as a filmmaker (aside from the mess that Dark Knight Rises was, but I don't entirely blame him on that). Apparently, he fixes any and all problems at a script level. From what I understand, he rarely has any deleted scenes because he has the script edited down so much by the time filming begins that there's no need for deleted scenes.

I'm not sure how much truth is to that, mind you. A filmmaker friend of mine told me about it.

It may have been a bad mood or the fact that Finding Nemo was so brutally on point (having been a dad for only a year when it came out didn't help), but it somehow didn't hit as much. Maybe I'm being unfair. It was funny, but not as. The emotional stuff hit, but not the same way. Something about it just didn't gel with me for some reason. I think this is a prime example of a movie opinion being very much subjective. I'm pretty sure it was good movie, just not so much for me.
I kind of agree. This movie just didn't catch the magic of Finding Nemo. If it wasn't a sequel, I might have actually liked it better.

That's part of the reason I appreciate Christopher Nolan as a filmmaker (aside from the mess that Dark Knight Rises was, but I don't entirely blame him on that). Apparently, he fixes any and all problems at a script level. From what I understand, he rarely has any deleted scenes because he has the script edited down so much by the time filming begins that there's no need for deleted scenes.

I'm not sure how much truth is to that, mind you. A filmmaker friend of mine told me about it.
Compare this to Snyder, who ended up the director of Man of Steel because he was a director willing to film an unfinished script.

It may have been a bad mood or the fact that Finding Nemo was so brutally on point (having been a dad for only a year when it came out didn't help), but it somehow didn't hit as much. Maybe I'm being unfair. It was funny, but not as. The emotional stuff hit, but not the same way. Something about it just didn't gel with me for some reason. I think this is a prime example of a movie opinion being very much subjective. I'm pretty sure it was good movie, just not so much for me.
I guess I related to it more than Finding Nemo because of her struggles with a mental health disorder. But I totally understand how you'd relate to Finding Nemo as a new father.

What I found amazing about Finding Dory is they took this character flaw that was largely used as a running joke and turned it into a serious character development piece. There were some incredibly heart-breaking moments revolving around her short term memory. And I liked how they used it as a plot device in creating this little mystery about her past, slowly unlocking it as the story progressed.

Last edited:
Zach Snyder is definitely more skilled in shot composition and such. No one can say his movies aren't really fantastic looking.

He's probably worse at getting good acting out of his actors though.

Visually, Snyder is untouachable. His shots are fantastic. His comic book adaptations especially look straight out of a comic. I can't take that away from him.

Narratively, however, the guy is a mess. There's little flow, little character rationalization. His films are purely, and unashamedly all about what's cool and nothing else.

Visually, Snyder is untouachable. His shots are fantastic. His comic book adaptations especially look straight out of a comic. I can't take that away from him.

Narratively, however, the guy is a mess. There's little flow, little character rationalization. His films are purely, and unashamedly all about what's cool and nothing else.
Agreed. I think Snyder has a lot of talent. I thought 300 was a good action movie. I thought Man of Steel was a good movie and will readily watch it again (though, again, it's a terrible Superman movie), Dawn of the Dead remake was fun, and I think the Watchman movie is as good of a movie adaptation as we can probably get of that story. Sucker Punch was... ehh... let's ignore that one.

While I do feel like he deserves a lot of the blame, being the director and the one that's supposed to be in charge of that mess, he strikes me as someone that just really likes making movies, and it was either he would do it without a script, or someone else would. And the finish product ends up looking like something where the script was finished -after- shooting was complete, with a note to the editor saying "good fucking luck."

Fun fact: Zach Snyder and Michael Bay were class mates in film school.

I agree that Snyder can set up a shot well, but otherwise his movies have a visual "sameness" to me: the brown tints, the slow-mo, even the fighting styles. The only movie* of his I think doesn't suffer from this is Dawn of the Dead, and that's probably only because of budget reasons. And I fully admit I had a great time watching his remake. While it didn't have the depth of the original, it was fun and an adrenaline rush, which is signature-Snyder, and probably why he keeps getting hired. But it feels like he decided the visuals he used in Watchmen were the only ones he'd ever use again, and not in a good, Tim Burton-type-0f-way. He just keeps recycling the same stuff, and only the names change.

(*I haven't seen Legend of the Guardians, so this might possibly be the second different one.)[DOUBLEPOST=1468007026,1468006527][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fun fact: Zach Snyder and Michael Bay were class mates in film school.
That school needs to be burned to the ground, preferably in a slow-motion explosion.

Zach Snyder is definitely more skilled in shot composition and such. No one can say his movies aren't really fantastic looking.

So Zach can Storyboard or Shoot the shit out of a movie, but he can not direct (get good performances out of actors.)

Right, there's more to being a good director than setting up shots and cinematography. Watching the Hellboy bonus features showed just how exhaustively Guillermo del Toro gets involved in every aspect of making the movie. I know Nolan was the comparison, I haven't watching any making-of stuff on the discs for his movies and maybe I should amend that, but there's so much to it, and Snyder seems to only care about a couple of those things.

Okay, I'm alive again! Kind of want to watch this again; we have the rental for two more days.

I appreciate how creative the movie was. A lot of solid design went into it and you can tell the animators had their hands deep in this, as there were so many little touches.

It didn't feel like there were as many jokes as in other recent Disney or Pixar movies, but that some laughs came from relief at small character victories because the movie built suspense. It was cool that it took the time to build suspense; a lot of live action movies can't manage that anymore.

Two comments I saw last night"
"It's like Chinatown ... for kids!"
and (Chinatown spoiler)

"It's Chinatown, but without the incest."
"So, not as good."

:p

Finally saw Finding Dory. As someone born with mental disabilities and with family who have them as well, there is some real primal fear shit in this movie. Like, HOLY SHIT, it's utterly, truly terrifying at points if you've ever had to deal with some of this stuff in yourself and others.

Really good though.

Ender's Game
I haven't read the book(s) in YEARS, so I remember very little, but I know that I felt very little impact watching the film. Maybe it's because I feel like Ender's feelings on the matter aren't fully addressed? Like I said, I don't remember much, but I thought his reaction to what happened was more...explored in the book, which is what made it so impactful. And they just kind of...glossed right over it in the movie. I did enjoy Asa Butterfield as Ender, and the casting in general. The movie just didn't impress me overall. I enjoyed it, but like, as a movie I'm not quite invested in.

Nowhere Boy
A somewhat autobiographical movie about John Lennon in his youth. It has very little to do with The Beatles, so...if that's what your interest is, I don't recommend. I really enjoyed this, however. And I'm positive some of the drama between his Aunt and Mother is over blown, but for the most part it's accurate to the time and life of John Lennon. I liked the writing. I wonder what people in the UK thought of the accents. I'm known for hating terrible accents, so, don't trust me, but I didn't mind the accents from the American actors in this. Anyway, I found this film interesting and if you're into music and John Lennon, I would recommend.

The Matrix
So, I don't know what happened, but...I had never seen this. I know the pop culture references, like everyone else on this planet, but I had never actually seen the movie. And I loved it. There's a lot about it I find interesting and the story kept me engaged. The color filter clues were a nice touch. It's amazing to me how much this movie changed things for film and sci-fi films in general. I kept watching for the awesome fight scenes because really, the dialogue/writing was lacking for me. And can't get over the CHEAP vinyl fabric that Trinity wears all day, every day. I've heard the second one is terrible, but the third one is good? So, tell me, do I stop now, or watch the rest?

Night Watch
This is some drugged up acid trip of a movie and I totally loved it. It's a Russian foreign film, so subtitles, based off of a book series about vampires. And it was fascinating. It's directed by the man who did Wanted and he produced Hardcore Henry, so, you know, that kind of insanity. The story was interesting and I kind of enjoyed the fact that I didn't know the actors, they were people I'm unfamiliar with. It's nice to break out of the pure Hollywood that a lot of movies have become. The action was pretty stellar and it was gruesome in the best way. I want to watch it again because I'm sure I missed a lot of little things.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Matrix
So, I don't know what happened, but...I had never seen this. I know the pop culture references, like everyone else on this planet, but I had never actually seen the movie. And I loved it. There's a lot about it I find interesting and the story kept me engaged. The color filter clues were a nice touch. It's amazing to me how much this movie changed things for film and sci-fi films in general. I kept watching for the awesome fight scenes because really, the dialogue/writing was lacking for me. And can't get over the CHEAP vinyl fabric that Trinity wears all day, every day. I've heard the second one is terrible, but the third one is good? So, tell me, do I stop now, or watch the rest?
I think I'm like one of two people worldwide who likes the second one.

IMO, all three are really one movie cut into 3 pieces.

2 has good fight scenes imo.

I like the second and third Matrix movies. They don't have the impact of the original, and the philosophical stuff is largely abandoned for bigger and better action scenes, but they're still entertaining movies.

Also, if you understand the ending of the second movie on the first try, then you're smarter than 90% of the movie-going populace.

I like the second and third Matrix movies. They don't have the impact of the original, and the philosophical stuff is largely abandoned for bigger and better action scenes, but they're still entertaining movies.
We wish they'd abandoned the philosophical stuff. Instead they pause the movie to have meaningless conversations about it that do no service to the film itself.

Also, if you understand the ending of the second movie on the first try, then you're smarter than 90% of the movie-going populace.
The ending of the second movie is easy to understand; it's how it works that makes no sense, but that's no one's fault besides the studio. It was explained in a tie-in video game. Because that's how you tell a story, of course.

I've heard the second one is terrible, but the third one is good? So, tell me, do I stop now, or watch the rest?
Two has a couple creative fights and a solid car chase (or it was before Mad Max Fury Road; don't know how passable it is now). Three has a DBZ fight at the end, but that's now been one-upped even by the likes of Batman vs Superman.

Really though, instead of any Matrix movies, I'd recommend Dark City (PatrThom insists it be the director's cut and he's probably right). Some might say there are some interesting coincidences between The Matrix and Dark City. Some might even say The Matrix rips off Dark City. In any case, Dark City is a fantastic movie. Intelligent, suspenseful, won't have you rolling your eyes like Trinity's outfit. Just a hell of a film, and explores similar themes of humanity as The Matrix, but IMO is a far superior and more entertaining film.

The ending of the second movie is easy to understand; it's how it works that makes no sense, but that's no one's fault besides the studio. It was explained in a tie-in video game. Because that's how you tell a story, of course.
Having never played the game, what was the explanation? I never understood how

Neo suddenly had the ability to short out drones outside The Matrix.
As for the sequels, personally, I like them. Are they as good as the original? No, but they have their merits. Some damn great action and I actually thought the end to the whole trilogy is satisfying.

Also, @LittleKagsin, I'd recommend watching Animatrix, if you can, before watching Matrix Reloaded. It explains a few side-stories going on in the movie.

Having never played the game, what was the explanation? I never understood how
Never played the game either; I'd assumed there was no reason, just movie bullshit, until someone who played the game told me. Apparently being The One, Neo was able to use the cybernetic parts that connect him to the Matrix to tap into the machines' circuits and deactivate them.

Never played the game either; I'd assumed there was no reason, just movie bullshit, until someone who played the game told me. Apparently being The One, Neo was able to use the cybernetic parts that connect him to the Matrix to tap into the machines' circuits and deactivate them.
I'd like to point out that this is the official ending of Path of Neo, where the Wachoskis basically mock the ending of their movies and point out how fucking lame it would be for a game.

Which is then followed by this:

Why yes, that is WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS over the ending. Yes, the Wachoskis approved this and thought it was funny as hell.

Swiss army man

UUUUUUUhhhhhhhh..... Well I liked it, that's for sure. It gets pretty tippy at the end, but the ride is pretty fun.

It's basically the most masterfully crafted far joke ever created.

Daniel Radcliffe will no longer be Harry Potter, in my eyes, as he is now Manny the faring dead guy who's dick points to civilization.

7.5/10

The first one has some interesting philosophical things to say - nothing incredibly original or deep but a bit thought provoking - certainly for an action movie. Two and three didn't really manage to bring anything new to the table, only muddles any conversation you might want to have. The plot doesn't really go anywhere all that interesting, either.
All in all, 2 and 3 had some nice visuals, and purely from an action point they're kinda cool....But story, thought-provoking or innovation-wise, they're nothing compared to the original.

The Matrix
do I stop now, or watch the rest?
Watch the rest. They're all worth watching, but the storytelling unravels under its own weight as they continue. 2 and 3 are not as good nor as groundbreaking as 1 (they sometimes try too hard), but really, that'd be a tall order considering how much impact the first movie had on modern cinema. 2 was worth seeing in the theater, 3 makes for an ok rental. Personally, I think there's enough going on between the lines that knowing the entire story is worth sitting through the other two.
I'd recommend Dark City (PatrThom insists it be the director's cut and he's probably right).
I do, and I am, and anyone who says otherwise is someone who doesn't grasp the concept of "show, don't tell."

--Patrick

Speaking of director's cuts, I've thought about giving Blade Runner another chance. Every time I've tried watching it in the past, I find I get bored and turn it off. I really don't know why. I always found it rather dry. But since the last time I tried (5+ years ago), I've grown to have more an appreciation for film noir. Which Blade Runner kind of is. It's like sci-fi film noir.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about Blade Runner?

I've only ever seen the director's cut, although I've been meaning to seek out the final cut. I'd give it a go. Personally it's worth it just for the Deckard/Batty scene. Though I also love the atmosphere and visuals, huge respect for Syd Mead, ymmv.

Speaking of director's cuts, I've thought about giving Blade Runner another chance. Every time I've tried watching it in the past, I find I get bored and turn it off. I really don't know why. I always found it rather dry. But since the last time I tried (5+ years ago), I've grown to have more an appreciation for film noir. Which Blade Runner kind of is. It's like sci-fi film noir.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about Blade Runner?
It's a slow movie and does a lot of visual storytelling to give info about its world. I think it's excellent and would never ever watch the theatrical version. But if I recall correctly, you kinda weren't into Alien because of the slow pace? Because it's Ridley Scott again and it takes a few points in the movie to just pan over parts of the cities while music plays a la that one scene from Ghost in the Shell, except more than once.

You should finish it if you're going to watch it though; it's a hell of a climax and final scene.

The theatrical version throws in a dumb ending and has Harrison Ford blandly narrating the film. Rumor has it he did the narrative bad on purpose in hopes that the studio wouldn't use it, but they used it anyway. Director's cut all the way.

It's a slow movie and does a lot of visual storytelling to give info about its world. I think it's excellent and would never ever watch the theatrical version. But if I recall correctly, you kinda weren't into Alien because of the slow pace? Because it's Ridley Scott again and it takes a few points in the movie to just pan over parts of the cities while music plays a la that one scene from Ghost in the Shell, except more than once.

You should finish it if you're going to watch it though; it's a hell of a climax and final scene.

The theatrical version throws in a dumb ending and has Harrison Ford blandly narrating the film. Rumor has it he did the narrative bad on purpose in hopes that the studio wouldn't use it, but they used it anyway. Director's cut all the way.
It's not so much I didn't like the slow pace of Alien. I think I just wasn't in the mood for it. I'm not sure. It's still a brilliant movie, regardless of how I feel about the pacing.

And yeah, I meant to ask which version I should watch. I feel like there's half a dozen different versions out there.

Honestly I don't get what the big deal about Bladerunner is. I found it incredibly slow and dull.

It's a pretty movie, and visually sets the standard for pretty much every cyberpunk movie or show to follow, but I found myself unable to care about anything that was going on.