[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I was
a little let down with the ending, but I suppose that's just what you get with a found-footage movie.

I loved them explaining the way Trolls hate sunlight in a scientific manner, though, that was a cool touch.

I was
a little let down with the ending, but I suppose that's just what you get with a found-footage movie.

I loved them explaining the way Trolls hate sunlight in a scientific manner, though, that was a cool touch.
The ending was a little weak but overall I liked it pretty well. The Troll effects were surprisingly good and the varieties of troll were more than you'd expect from a low budget movie.

Yeah, there's really only one point the CG looked wonky and it was only for a second, otherwise it was very impressive.

Also the shots of the Nordic countryside are all amazing and make me want to go get lost there for awhile.

Independence Day Resurgence is bad in different, new ways than the original.

However, the baseline for a bad Roland Emmerich movie is still higher than most anything in the "Blockbuster" category. It's still way better than London Has Fallen. Goldblum, Hirsch, Pullman, and Spiner are all old pros. Also, Maika Monroe is a huge superstar and outshines the rest of DeGrassi: The New Class by a mile. (sorry, Angelababy all one word no space)

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
But they set it up for the obvious sequels, which I hate. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it wasn't a good movie, either.

And I guarantee...
the President is still alive and will show up in the next movie.

But they set it up for the obvious sequels, which I hate. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it wasn't a good movie, either.

And I guarantee...
the President is still alive and will show up in the next movie.
i don't know if you mean Bill Pullman, Sela Ward, or William Fichtner, but yes.

Saw Star Trek: Beyond last night, it was a good action movie, had a villain that actually had a decent motivation, and good interaction between the 3 main leads (Spock, Kirk, Bones). Lots of great, huge space visuals for the big screen, I think that some of the space sequences are going to be "muddy" when watched on a home theater. Overall though, this is an action movie that pays some service to Star Trek, since I don't feel that enough time was spent fleshing out the motivations of some characters, and that could have been a victim of the editing room.

I wanted to include something else, but it deserved a spoiler tag and I don't seem to have access to that this morning.

Saw Star Trek: Beyond last night, it was a good action movie, had a villain that actually had a decent motivation, and good interaction between the 3 main leads (Spock, Kirk, Bones). Lots of great, huge space visuals for the big screen, I think that some of the space sequences are going to be "muddy" when watched on a home theater. Overall though, this is an action movie that pays some service to Star Trek, since I don't feel that enough time was spent fleshing out the motivations of some characters, and that could have been a victim of the editing room.

I wanted to include something else, but it deserved a spoiler tag and I don't seem to have access to that this morning.
You can just type bracket spoiler close bracket to start it, and then bracket forward-slash spoiler close bracket to end it.

I don't seem to have the spoiler button anymore either. Hrm.

GasBandit

Staff member
You can just type bracket spoiler close bracket to start it, and then bracket forward-slash spoiler close bracket to end it.

I don't seem to have the spoiler button anymore either. Hrm.
It's been gone for a while. Unfortunately, it was breaking other stuff. The spoiler button was a plugin, and the author didn't update it for newer versions of xenforo.

But yeah, you can still create
Spoilers

by typing

Code:
[spoiler]text here[/spoiler]

Why did he make himself a marshmallow ghost, why did he make himself corporeal at all? HOW WAS HE ABLE TO UPGRADE HIS GHOST FORM?! Final boss law?
The bigger question is "Why were the proton packs and weapons able to defeat the ghosts in Times Square when it's already been established that you need to trap ghosts to deal with them" and "Why did it seem like one of them left the team and then heroically returned in the 3rd act to save the day when we never saw them have a conflict and break up?". Whatever. Movie was alright.

Sony's intent on doing crossover movies... why not do MiB with Ghostbusters? GBs show up to stop a routine haunting, turns out it's an alien, MiB show up, then they team up to fight... I dunno... ghost aliens. It sounds better than the proposed MiB with 21 Jump Street thing.

They already made an MIB and Ghostbusters crossover.

Well, more like Amalgam.

It was called RIPD.

And it was de bes.

Why did he make himself a marshmallow ghost, why did he make himself corporeal at all? HOW WAS HE ABLE TO UPGRADE HIS GHOST FORM?! Final boss law?
Seems that way. I mean, people were bitching that he went "choose the form" a la Gozer, but that isn't what happened. He was mocking Patty and suggested the cutesy ghost himself. But how? No idea. As I think was said in the Midnight Screenings review, he was making a really big assumption that he was going to be the giant all-powerful ghost commander. He could've ended up as Mrs. Slimer.

Seems that way. I mean, people were bitching that he went "choose the form" a la Gozer, but that isn't what happened. He was mocking Patty and suggested the cutesy ghost himself. But how? No idea. As I think was said in the Midnight Screenings review, he was making a really big assumption that he was going to be the giant all-powerful ghost commander. He could've ended up as Mrs. Slimer.
Oh man it would've made SO much sense if a bigger ghost ate him, funny too!
Sony's intent on doing crossover movies... why not do MiB with Ghostbusters? GBs show up to stop a routine haunting, turns out it's an alien, MiB show up, then they team up to fight... I dunno... ghost aliens. It sounds better than the proposed MiB with 21 Jump Street thing.
Well...technically they did with those government guys, except they had no personality what-so-ever and were completely useless! I mean they claimed to have dealt with supernatural stuff WAY longer than the Ghosbusters, you'd THINK they'd have fancy ghost punching weapons or something.

you can still create
Spoilers

by typing

Code:
[spoiler]text here[/spoiler]
You can also still label your spoiler tags using quotes and commas, so
Code:
[spoiler="Message displayed while closed, Totally different message displayed while open"]Spoiler content. Boo![/spoiler]
becomes
Spoiler content. Boo!
...just have to be careful with the commas.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Star Trek: Beyond. I saw it just a few hours ago. There were some parts that were face-palmingly, head-shakingly bad and really bothered me. Very cliche or stupid.
  • I will kill you...LIKE I KILLED YOUR FATHER!
  • Oh, look! A motorcycle. Because I guess Kirk has to have a fucking motorcycle for some reason in every movie now.
  • A hundred simulacrums of Jim riding his motorcycle. They shoot a shit ton of them. But the REAL Jim is the last one hit. Imagine!
  • Rock & Roll saves the day!

I'm not saying it was a BAD movie, just an okay movie with enough bad bits in it to take me right out of things.

I don't know what everyone else is seeing with Star Trek Beyond. It was cliche as all hell, especially some of the throwaway one-liner idioms (especially at the beginning; can't think of examples off-hand, but they were eye-rolling).

Plus, I have now learned the hard way that IMAX 3D needs to die in a dumpster fire. My eyes hurt every time the camera panned because it made the shot incredibly blurry to the point I could barely tell what I was supposed to be seeing. Some shots made me almost dizzy. And fucking hell, would Hollywood PLEASE stop shaking the camera and doing quick shots during action scenes. I nearly threw up several times because I couldn't tell what the hell was going on.

That is unquestionably the last time I waste my time and money on IMAX 3D or any 3D endeavour.

Fuck you, Kevin Smith.
Why? Because he made a movie for his daughter?

Kevin Smith hasn't been shy about what his latest movies are. He's said straight up he now just makes weird movies that he wants to make, and that probably no one else will like.

Why? Because he made a movie for his daughter?

Kevin Smith hasn't been shy about what his latest movies are. He's said straight up he now just makes weird movies that he wants to make, and that probably no one else will like.
He's that guy that tries to pretend that it doesn't matter to him that people don't like him or the things he makes by mocking it himself, but it does matter to him, it matters SO much, as he's proven time and again.