[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I thought Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was gorgeous, too...but I still only rank it slightly above Dungeons & Dragons as far as movies go.

--Patrick

I thought Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was gorgeous, too...but I still only rank it slightly above Dungeons & Dragons as far as movies go.

--Patrick
Spirits Within is still the highest rated video game adaption movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Which is odd because I thought the first Resident Evil movie was a perfectly serviceable, Prince of Persia was alright, and that the Phoenix Wright movie from Japan was pretty damn good.

Spirits Within is still the highest rated video game adaption movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Which is odd because I thought the first Resident Evil movie was a perfectly serviceable, Prince of Persia was alright, and that the Phoenix Wright movie from Japan was pretty damn good.
Spirits Within is sill the only one I've seen, I'll tell ya that.

--Pateick

I guess serviceable is the nicest word I'd give for the first Resident Evil movie, and nicer than I'd give any of the sequels.

Prince of Persia could've been really good, if they tightened up the movie a bit and not gone on so many tangents.

I guess serviceable is the nicest word I'd give for the first Resident Evil movie, and nicer than I'd give any of the sequels.
I actually like the Resident Evil movies. They're dumb, campy action movies that have little to no relation to the games, but are still internally fun and don't take themselves very seriously.

I actually like the Resident Evil movies. They're dumb, campy action movies that have little to no relation to the games, but are still internally fun and don't take themselves very seriously.
The first one is the only one that remotely feels like it can stand on it's own.

GasBandit

Staff member
All the Resident Evil movies were pretty much garbage. I completely gave up on the first one after that ridiculous laser-hallway scene. Why would the computer even bother wasting time with an escalating series of harder to dodge lasers when it could just do the "undodge-able grid" thing right out of the gate and be done with it?

^ stupid shit in question

fade

Staff member
The laser hallway kind of scared me. Didn't they explain the escalation in movie, though? Like blah blah learning algorithm.

All the Resident Evil movies were pretty much garbage. I completely gave up on the first one after that ridiculous laser-hallway scene. Why would the computer even bother wasting time with an escalating series of harder to dodge lasers when it could just do the "undodge-able grid" thing right out of the gate and be done with it?

If they only had a freeze gun...

They later made fun of this scene in Resident Evil 4, where Leon just action heroes through it all.

I saw The Witch. I appreciated the effort they went through to research 17th century folk tales. I especially liked how the script used period language. It was also nice to see a horror movie rely on atmosphere rather than "BOO!" scares. More like The Shining meets The Crucible. It ultimately had a disappointing ending but was overall a decent film.

I saw The Witch. I appreciated the effort they went through to research 17th century folk tales. I especially liked how the script used period language. It was also nice to see a horror movie rely on atmosphere rather than "BOO!" scares. More like The Shining meets The Crucible. It ultimately had a disappointing ending but was overall a decent film.
I can't think of many horror movies that don't end disappointingly.

The Thing.....The Shining.....not much else.[DOUBLEPOST=1457142043,1457141835][/DOUBLEPOST]

The guy who's fingers got lopped off just sort of....stops moving. He doesn't even get a gory laser death. I had almost forgotten it was the quick shot of Milla's bush that actually got them an R-rating.

AND THE MUSIC.....I forgot it was all that brutal early 2000s nu-metalish shit. Marilyn Manson shiiiiiiiiiiiiiitted it up.

I can't think of many horror movies that don't end disappointingly.

The Thing.....The Shining.....not much else.
Alien, The Conjuring, The Fly (Cronenberg version) ... um ... shit, there's gotta be more than that. Night of the Living Dead is brilliant, but doesn't exactly satisfy. I'm going over horror movies I like and many of them just fuck it up in the last 30 seconds even if the actual conclusion is fine.

Father and Daughters... well made. Shows how relationships can affect young kids. I expected it to be more emotionally connected to it but some moment took me and my wife out of the movie.

Loved the Russell Crowe bits, he played his part brilliantly, great chemistry with his daughter.

Wasn't overly into Amanda, prolly due to the character she played and the way her part was written. Despite knowing a few girls having significant daddy issues in my life I've never seen a girl resort to be a im-self-destructive cum-dump at night but a perfectly fine i-love-kids competent social worker during the day. But that's just me..... Sure there's reasons the movie will reveal which I'll spoiler but seriously? I thought that part was greatly shadowed by the past parts with Russell.

Her daddy dies after he hands in an award winning novel to help sustain himself and his daughter after her shit aunt/uncle sue him for well... AMERIKA I GUESS... rich people can FUCK YOU OVER. OF COURSE. She then consequently grows up with her "i hate men" aunt who divorces her husband for cheating on her and is permanently scarred by the horrible human being. How the fuck does this work?

She hates her dad 90% of the time as an adult until Jesse from Breaking Bad "loves her too hard" and she realizes (except for one more glorious I-will-fuck-aa-total-stranger-in-our-bed-and-leave-the-condom-wrapper-on-the-floor-while-i-stalk-the-stairs moment) men.... are OK and it's her aunt being a bad person.... Are you fucking kidding me?

How doesn't she know her fucking Aunt SUED her dad and he died because he spent his entire days trying desperately to make things work and have the cash to keep her instead of trying to help him live a normal life? Shit, I was in-sensed when he came home after 7 months and they STRAIGHT UP tell him.... I want to adopt your daughter because you killed my sister and are sick.... how did they expect that to end?

Good movie, could have been better.

Zootopia

Well, that was a lot of fun. There were a lot less visual gags and animals puns than I expected. Instead, you get a pretty solid mystery, good voice acting, great animation, and a lot of fun. It's not as good as, say, Inside Out, but it's definitely one of the better animated movies. I'll probably wind up buying it, eventually, on BluRay.

Also, I counted THREE armadillos in the movie! Therefore, through armadillo representation, Zootopia is the greatest movie in all of existence. :D

Last edited:
Hector and the Search for Happiness

Why was this movie made, and how did they get so many big stars to be in it? Simon Pegg, Rosamund Pike, Jean Reno, Stellan Skarsgard, Christopher Plummer... they all give competent performances, except the movie's just this meandering journey that doesn't lead anywhere. The final resolution feels hackneyed and lacks emotional impact, because of how unsympathetically they've portrayed Rosamund Pike's character all through the movie.

I suppose the scenery's pretty nice, and I gotta give the cast credit for giving it their best shot, instead of phoning it in. But it all feels so pointless.

He died because he drank Lone Star.
Well, duh, even I know that, and I don't drink beer at all. Only other thing that kills a 'dillo is the bumper on a vehicle. :)

edit: added smiley, because after reading it again it came across wrong.

Only other thing that kills a 'dillo is the bumper on a vehicle. :)
Usually it's actually the undercarriage, not the bumper.
See, they jump up into the air when scared (such as when A CAR IS GOING OVER THEM) and this causes them to impact the underside of the moving vehicle.
Really, if they don't get hit by the tires, they would probably survive except for this jumping thing.
At least he didn't drink Barf, who KNOW'S where that mog's been.
SO glad you didn't turn this into a schwartz joke.

--Patrick

Must be slow ones that you encounter, around here they get hit by bumpers and grills, unless it's one of the redneck jacked-up trucks.

Zootopia was fun, villain was a tad obvious they were still enjoyable. Also like how they lightly imply a romance rather than force it in and have it control the fucking plot. My only real problem with it .... anyone else thought Nick sounded weird? Can't put my claw on it.