[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I wonder how much of a ripple effect this might have on superhero movies for the future? Like, how many more R rated ones will start popping up because of how successful this one has been.
James Gunn, director of Guardians of the Galaxy, had an interesting take on that. He thinks Hollywood will learn the wrong lessons and thinks you're stupid, which is probably true.

James Gunn said:
After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's damn good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.

For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.
So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.

But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."

And that's who is going to succeed.

He's absolutely true, it's always easy to look at the surface elements and assign success to it. That happens in a lot of mediums, including comics. It's why Watchmen is simultaneously one of the best and worst things to happen to comics.

James Gunn, director of Guardians of the Galaxy, had an interesting take on that. He thinks Hollywood will learn the wrong lessons and thinks you're stupid, which is probably true.
I read that as well. And while I totally agree, I'm still curious to see what Hollywood does in the coming months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, the booklet that contains the "possible R" thing was printed before Deadpool had its rating for sure, I believe.

Still, though, I'd love to see Wolverine in all the guts and glory he deserves as one of the most brutal X-Men out there. I do agree with Gunn, though, in that I think we're going to see a slew of R for the sake of R rated superhero flicks.

I think taking an established series and turning "the next one" into an R is a terrible plan. Why alienate the audience you already have? Oh yeah, Hollywood.

I think taking an established series and turning "the next one" into an R is a terrible plan. Why alienate the audience you already have? Oh yeah, Hollywood.
To be fair, Wolverine's been a pretty mediocre series to begin with so if this gives it a last chance to be better, I'm all for it.

That's my take on it too: Wolverine shouldn't have been a PG-13 series to begin with. It should have been a hard R with all the blood and violence that entitles. Only make him reign it in when he's with the X-Kids.

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a difference between being "restrained" into a PG-13 rating, and going R for R's sake. I kinda feel like the wolverine movies tended toward the former, really. As mentioned by CynicismKills, the movies sure are low on blood for primarily featuring a dude with 8 inch metal blade-claws. Like, saturday morning cartoon levels of "miraculous absence of severed limbs and spattered giblets" caliber cleanliness.

Adding swear words, blood, and sex won't make mediocre writing less mediocre.
True, but you're judging something we know nothing about save for Hugh Jackman is playing Wolverine. For all we know at this point an R rating could be due to violence, which Wolverine is pretty known for compared to other X-Men. The fact that they've tamed the movies he's involved in to PG/PG-13 is honestly a disservice to the character.

Well, I still don't understand why you think it's better, but it's obviously not worth probing further. Perhaps I'll revisit this discussion after I've seen it as well.
It's kind of impossible for it to be more than a one-sided discussion when only one person has seen it.

It's not a story about gay kids the way the trailer pretends, if that's what you're worried about.[DOUBLEPOST=1455665023,1455664911][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hollywood already thinks that; I could tell but some of the crappy comedy trailers that played before Deadpool.

In some ways it makes sense, as the original audience of those films has easily aged into an old enough demographic to support an R film. Though it is easy to over-interpret Deadpool's success, it may be in part due to the media junky kids that have all grown up and are ready for some adult fare.

I never got around to seeing it, but wasn't the second Wolverine movie an R-rated joint?

Also, I never understood why there was such a huge call for Deadpool to be R-rated. It's not rated as a mature audience comic. Not that I'm against it being R-rated. I just never understood why there was such a demand for it.

I find the ratings system to be pretty arbitrary. I mean, Deadpool had sex, but none of it was ridiculously inappropriate. It had violence, but it was pretty cartoony. There was a lot of swearing, oh dear. That said, I still stand by the assertion that NO amount of bloody violence can improve a weak movie, *IF* you are actually going to see it for plot.

GasBandit

Staff member
I find the ratings system to be pretty arbitrary. I mean, Deadpool had sex, but none of it was ridiculously inappropriate.
His genitals were on camera for about half a second when he was fighting Ajax naked in the burning facility.

I never got around to seeing it, but wasn't the second Wolverine movie an R-rated joint?

Also, I never understood why there was such a huge call for Deadpool to be R-rated. It's not rated as a mature audience comic. Not that I'm against it being R-rated. I just never understood why there was such a demand for it.
Deadpool has had a parental advisory stamp on it for about the past 8 years.

So Deadpool was all kinds of awesome. Maybe a little too much focus on the origin or backstory. I thought he tone shifted between funny and serious like it couldn't decide how comedic to make the movie. When it was funny, it was hilarious. But when it was serious, it was like any other action movie - only with some great one-liners.

Still really enjoyed it. Don't think it's movie of the year or an A+ comic book movie, but still fun as hell and worth seeing. I saw it IMAX and it probably wasn't worth that.

My only real criticism of it as an adaptation, I felt Weasel could've been more Weaselly. Blind Al was barely in it, but never did I question her authenticity as an adaptation, Weasel felt a little half-baked to me.

BUT-that's only in the adaptation department, as a whole its a fun flick.

My only real criticism of it as an adaptation, I felt Weasel could've been more Weaselly. Blind Al was barely in it, but never did I question her authenticity as an adaptation, Weasel felt a little half-baked to me.

BUT-that's only in the adaptation department, as a whole its a fun flick.
Gina Carano's Angel Dust might be the weirdest adaptation of a character into a movie since Wolverine 2's Lady Hydra.

I too, like most folk, enjoyed Deadpool.

I do like that it depicted Colossus properly, as an enormous jobber.

Gina Carano's Angel Dust might be the weirdest adaptation of a character into a movie since Wolverine 2's Lady Hydra.

I too, like most folk, enjoyed Deadpool.

I do like that it depicted Colossus properly, as an enormous jobber.
Yeah I looked her up, that was weird-BUT-maybe the gist of her story will be adapted properly in later films.

ON THE TOPIC OF THE X-FRANCHISE-what's worth watching in it? Besides technically Deadpool I mean.

ON THE TOPIC OF THE X-FRANCHISE-what's worth watching in it? Besides technically Deadpool I mean.
I really enjoyed X-Men and X-2; they're not perfect films, but they were integral to launching the modern superhero films. I've seen them recently and I think they still do well. X-Men: First Class is a decent film, as long as you don't mind they're deviating from the comics a bit. X-Men: Days of Future Past gets a bit hammy, but in a lot of ways, feels like an X-Men comic.

I think, after 16 years of X-movies, that it's clear it's hard to make a really strong X-Men movie because there's too many characters to juggle, and you don't want it to become "The Wolverine Show". The Avengers would probably have suffered the same if they didn't have individual movies. But the other problem is most of the X-Men work best as a team, maybe Deadpool and Wolverine being part of a handful of exceptions. To me, X-Men would make a really good serial show, like Agent Carter or Agents of SHIELD, but with a HBO-level of budget and rating restrictions. (Maybe not R-rated, but a good PG-13).