[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I didn't enjoy the first film. It was okay, but was never worth a second viewing. I think I was annoyed just how pathetic Kick-Ass is throughout the entire movie. Yeah. I get it. It's the point. He's the realistic misconception that people have when daydreaming themselves as super heroes. But whatever. I hate going to the movies to get reality thrown at my face. Kick-Ass should kick some ass and not have to have a little girl save him.

I'm bitching.

I know I've probably got some shit wrong that you want to argue. But it won't matter.

I just didn't like it.

I didn't enjoy the first film. It was okay, but was never worth a second viewing. I think I was annoyed just how pathetic Kick-Ass is throughout the entire movie. Yeah. I get it. It's the point. He's the realistic misconception that people have when daydreaming themselves as super heroes. But whatever. I hate going to the movies to get reality thrown at my face. Kick-Ass should kick some ass and not have to have a little girl save him.

I'm bitching.

I know I've probably got some shit wrong that you want to argue. But it won't matter.

I just didn't like it.
Jesus, the movie practically glorified the whole daydreaming super hero thing compared to the nihilistic comic it was based on.

I'm bitching.

I just didn't like it.
It's OK. I understand that you can still live a happy and productive life without any sense of taste, style, or fun. :p

For serious, though, I can understand how it may not be some people's cup of tea.[DOUBLEPOST=1376907604,1376907517][/DOUBLEPOST]
Jesus, the movie practically glorified the whole daydreaming super hero thing compared to the nihilistic comic it was based on.
Both the comic and the movie are practically fluffy bunny farts compared to Super.

The scene in Kick-Ass where whatshisface flies up with the jetpack, and starts machine-gunning the office, while the soundtrack blares Elvis belting out, "GLORY, GLORY, HALLELUJAAAAH" made me laugh pretty hard. I don't actually remember a lot else. I think they also used something from A Few Dollars More in the soundtrack... maybe I just really liked the soundtrack.

The scene in Kick-Ass where whatshisface flies up with the jetpack, and starts machine-gunning the office, while the soundtrack blares Elvis belting out, "GLORY, GLORY, HALLELUJAAAAH" made me laugh pretty hard. I don't actually remember a lot else. I think they also used something from A Few Dollars More in the soundtrack... maybe I just really liked the soundtrack.
The only thing dumber than Kick-Ass are the type of kick-ass fans that want to insist it's a realistic take on super-heroes in the real world. I can see where the other fans (ones who realize they love something that's a dumb piece of shit) come from even if I think it's dumb garbage. The others...:confused:

I read the first book it was just okay to me, felt like it was trying too hard in all honestly. Also the "tunk" joke fell flat on me, I've heard better full-circle jokes.

Kick-Ass 2 was heinous trash without redemption.

Alternatively

When your most likable character is played by John Leguizamo, you should reconsider what you're doing.

Last edited:
Saw Ted yesterday, I liked it. Could've been a few more jokes in my opinion, but I thought it was still funny especially the Sam Jones party scene.

fade

Staff member
Girls Gone Dead

You know how sometimes you watch a B movie to embrace its B-ness? How they're so bad they're good? This is not one of those movies. Even tons of T&A couldn't save it.

You're Next

It was just alright. It felt like a good idea that was not executed properly. At it's core, the story tries to be a slasher version of an Agatha Christie mystery. However, the parceling out of information as the film goes on doesn't quite work and the pacing thus feels off. What the film does well is how, while most of the upper-class family bickers and tries to survive, one character with a survivalist background actually manages to operate with full competence.

fade

Staff member
The problem with all these "realistic" superhero movies "examining the story from a different angle" is that that "different" angle is nearly always the same. It's some gritty world where everything is crap, and the superhero and everyone around him suffers for his heroics. Every author seems to think they're the first one to think of that. The other problem is that those stories existed before the advent of the superhero, and ironically, the superhero was kind of an attempt to escape from exactly that dark, gritty story.

The problem with all these "realistic" superhero movies "examining the story from a different angle" is that that "different" angle is nearly always the same. It's some gritty world where everything is crap, and the superhero and everyone around him suffers for his heroics. Every author seems to think they're the first one to think of that. The other problem is that those stories existed before the advent of the superhero, and ironically, the superhero was kind of an attempt to escape from exactly that dark, gritty story.
I think that the super hero has become a symbol of saving us from the worst of civilization. If the world was portrayed as all happiness, rainbows, and puppies, there would be no need for a Super Hero. Movies need to show the world as a place where a Super Hero is a pinpoint of sunlight in an otherwise dark world.

Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz

To absolutely no surprise, these are still great movies. I'd go as far as to call them perfect, well deserving all the high praise they receive from near everyone.

Now then, on to World's End, which I'm seeing tomorrow evening with friends!

I'd say that The World's End is equal to Hot Fuzz in terms of quality and the amount it made me laugh.

To me, as much as I love the other movies they've done, Shaun of the Dead was just damn near perfect to me. So much so, that no movie they ever do will be better than it, even though they are great movies.

Iron Man 3

Not quite as good as the first one, about on par with the second, so on the whole it's a pretty decent film. Not sure if I like the ending though.

I'd say that The World's End is equal to Hot Fuzz in terms of quality and the amount it made me laugh.

To me, as much as I love the other movies they've done, Shaun of the Dead was just damn near perfect to me. So much so, that no movie they ever do will be better than it, even though they are great movies.
I think they're both equal in terms of quality, but really, there's nothing wrong at all with saying one's better than the other or that you prefer one over the other. They're still both absolutely amazing movies. ;)

fade

Staff member
Hmm. I liked Shaun of the dead. It was fun. But I wouldn't ever call it perfect. I'd call it a big budget fan film. And I think the first person to agree with me would be Pegg.

Hmm. I liked Shaun of the dead. It was fun. But I wouldn't ever call it perfect. I'd call it a big budget fan film. And I think the first person to agree with me would be Pegg.
That would be why I said "to me". For me personally, it hit every note pitch perfectly.

World's End

Good movie. Not great, like its predecessors. Though that opinion might change upon future multiple viewings. I thought its gear-changing was a little too abrupt, especially the last ten minutes or so. The gear-changing didn't feel as thematically organic as the other two movies. It was like they were telling three different movies and just sort of changed things up on the fly whereas the other two kept the same feel and pace throughout the whole films.

Still, very good and worth seeing. Simon Pegg is nearly unrecognizable in this role, too. He plays an incredibly different character and honestly just looks very different from what we're used to seeing. Really shows how much range he's got as an actor.

I wish I could gather up the nerd rage to be upset, but honestly I don't care what Spoony thinks.
Which is sad, because I used to be so on point with him on so many things. He was easily my favorite internet personality. Then, the incident happened and he basically became unwatchable to me. Thankfully Jesse Cox filled that void up wonderfully and updates MUCh more frequently than Spoony ever could have.

Which is sad, because I used to be so on point with him on so many things. He was easily my favorite internet personality. Then, the incident happened and he basically became unwatchable to me. Thankfully Jesse Cox filled that void up wonderfully and updates MUCh more frequently than Spoony ever could have.
The incident? Forgive me, Gil, I don't know what you are referring to.