[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

While I thought the new Evil Dead was incredibly well crafted on a technical level, I was completely disinterested in anything that happened in it. It was as by-the-numbers as any horror film that's ever been made, and while we got sky-high technical excellence we somehow also lost the individual charm and identity that really would have made this stand out.

It's weird to say it because I thought every little visual and pacing detail was downright perfect. It just somehow felt less than the sum of its parts to me. I would not tell any horror fans to not see it, but I still felt fairly unsatisfied in the end (not counting the stinger).

I'd really like to see this director do horror films that aren't a remake, though.

Just rewatched Green Lantern. I honestly don't understand why it was so hated. Sure, they could have cut Hector Hammond out of it completely to improve its pacing, but I actually like it.

Just rewatched Green Lantern. I honestly don't understand why it was so hated. Sure, they could have cut Hector Hammond out of it completely to improve its pacing, but I actually like it.
Because of Sinestro, the complete lack of there being any real Lanterns in the film, 5 minutes total on his -training-, even less time spent on Oa, the disaster that was Parallax, a silly villain that there was more screentime of than of the actual main character, and the horribly ridiculous Yellow Ring ending, etc etc etc

2 Guns.

Was like watching an 80s buddy cop movie something fierce. Very old school. Would be very forgettable if Denzel and Marky Mark didn't have undeniably great chemistry. Their interactions were very much the highlight of the film.

Yeah, it's not as bad as most made it out to be, but it's still far weaker than it should have been. It should have been a space opera instead of a mediocre origin/love interest movie. The best parts are the OA parts. That shit looked fantastic. But 5 minutes of it? Come on. Thats the gold right there. Give us more of the REAL GL stuff before you plop us back on earth for a rather generic story. They had all the potential with this film, from the designers to Renolds to Cambell directing, and they just... didn't do the character justice. So yeah, not as bad as most made it out to be, but not as good as it needed to be. It should have been as big as The Man of Steel but it just never went there.

figmentPez

Staff member
I enjoyed it, to an extent, but it was pretty mediocre and in many ways that's worse than being outright bad. It could have been so much better, like Green Lantern: First Flight was.

Yeah, the constructs were great. I thought Reynolds was a perfect Hal as well, the script didn't do anyone any favors in that movie though.

Also: Digital costumes=BAD. Practical all the way douchebags.

The Sapphires. 4 Aboriginal women and Chris O'Dowd go to Vietnam in the midst of the war and racial tensions in order to work as a soul group and entertain the troops. It was really good, and O'Dowd knocked it out of the park.

The Flaspoint Paradox

I'm only about a third of the way through it so far, but good lord this is a piece of shit. Normally, the DC animated stuff has been pretty good for the most part. Hit and miss, yes, but never THIS bad. I don't know if the original comic story is to blame (because that was pretty terrible, too), but this ones's all over the place. There's a flashback about 25 minutes in that comes out of nowhere with no segue, so I didn't even know it was a flashback until a few minutes in. There's a major character death during the flashback that starts a war, but the character hasn't even been seen or mentioned up until that point. Only hardcore comic fans would even recognize her.

The animation as a whole is pretty good, even if there are some really questionable designs, like Superman at the beginning.

I'll edit this once I'm done watching, but it'll be a miracle if it winds up being good in the end.

EDIT: And finished. The final fight stuff was top notch, but that's no surprise. But the story was still a piece of crap. There's a cosmetic change at the end to Flash's costume that goes with the current New 52 universe, but when he reset the timeline at the end of this, there's not a single mention of changes or anything. It just acts like everything reverted back to the same way. But he has a totally new costume for no reason? That's just sloppy.

So yeah, overall, this is by FAR the absolute worst going from the DC animated stuff. Given that the next one is based on the first 6 issues of the New 52 Justice League, I get the feeling we're in for even worse.

Last edited:
I've been extremely vocal about my disdain for Flashpoint as a whole, so it's no surprise that the movie was not great in my eyes.

I think one of my main issues with it is that in all the other reboots that DC has done, they have been these huge universal events where some super powerful villain is screwing with the formation of the universe.

Flashpoint: Time travel lol.

There's no way that they can fall back on the butterfly effect for these changes when there's near constant time travel in the various books that they publish with no ill effects to the timestream.

Yep. Which is why I hated the comic in the first place (of the bits and pieces that I read or what I skimmed in Wikipedia). How does Flash suddenly going back and allowing his Mom's murder to suddenly include the Image and Vertigo universes in the DC timeline? How does it stop the JSA from existing, save for an alternate universe?

The way they rebooted the whole universe makes as much sense as the things they changed when Spider-Man sold the "soul of his marriage" (lolwut?) to Mephisto. Joe Quesada is on record for saying, "It's magic. We don't have to explain it." Same thing applies here. They made all these ridiculous changes that made no sense.

It certainly doesn't help that the longer it continues, the more I hate the new 52 universe. It's like, when they merged the Image universe in with it, the 90s Image infected the whole DCU.

As far as the movie goes, I think it's safe to say that this is terrible because the comic it's based on is terrible.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Did you and I just agree on something, @Bowielee? Mother of God, what has this reboot done?!

Last edited:
We agree on stuff all the time...

As to Flashpoint, I find it funny that it was easier for me to accept a giant interdimentional moth who eats universes who is defeated by a touchdown pass or someone punching reality than it is the time travel angle in Flashpoint.

Zappit

Staff member
Image? Wasn't it Jim Lee's Wildstorm universe that was incorporated? I'm pretty sure Image is still very much independent.

Elysium was fantastic. That's really all I can say.
I just got back from Elysium myself, and while I wouldn't say it's fantastic, I would absolutely call it solid and entertaining. It could've benefited from greater ambition and doing things less by the book, but even though it goes for the low hanging fruit, it grabs the fruit with relish and does well with it.

Elysium

Really great science fiction flick. It wears its obvious allegories on its sleeve, but I'll take obvious allegories in a sci-fi movie over just an empty boom-fiesta. With the exception of Pacific Rim, of course.

Is it as good as Neill Blomkamp's last outing, District 9? Not quite. Of course, District 9 was probably one of the best sci-fi movies in the last decade, so it would be understandably hard to match it. Of course, being not quite as good as District 9 still makes this an amazing movie that needs to be seen.

My only problem with it is a common issue I'm having with most action movies these days: the unsteady camera during action sequences. During the vast majority of the movie, the camera is steady as it pans around, including an incredibly breathtaking introduction of Elysium itself. But when the action gets going around the second act and especially the third act, its like they suddenly strapped their cameras to the backs of rabid, seizuring dogs. I'm just tired of barely being able to see the action going on in these incredibly well-rehearsed action sequences. It's an ongoing issue in nearly every - if not all - action movies these days.

The Call

I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie. I mean, it was by WWE Films and had Halle Berry in it, who admittedly I really liked in Cloud Atlas, but overall I'm not a fan of hers. But I'd heard it was surprisingly pretty good and...it was! It doesn't try to be anything more than a solid thriller and that's what it does. No big surprises or shocks, save for the ending which I won't spoil but will say I didn't see coming. It was a bit darker than I expected, but still very good.

So...yeah. I say this with legitimate surprise, but thumbs up. Recommended!

Finally watched Tangled. My God, knowing it could have been 2d animation makes me a little sad, but all in all it was really, really good. I want a Pascal.

I loved the one scene. You know the one where he did something. Other than be all creepy and deadbeat dad-ish. :p