Super Smash Bros

I wonder if the Wii U's internet will punish all the players for one person's lag, or work like every other online game and make it lag for that person while working fine for everyone else.

Lots of cool stuff. Sucks that I already bought this; like I said, if I get it at all, it'll be pre-owned. Nintendo got enough money from me. I'm wondering if Mewtwo is free if you have both versions, but can be bought as DLC if you just have one, or if it's only obtainable by having both.

I wonder if the Wii U's internet will punish all the players for one person's lag, or work like every other online game and make it lag for that person while working fine for everyone else.
Most fighting games I've played handle it like Smash does, because otherwise you have desync in a game where individual frames of animation can matter. Fighters that desync make it almost unplayable.

Most fighting games I've played handle it like Smash does, because otherwise you have desync in a game where individual frames of animation can matter. Fighters that desync make it almost unplayable.
I'll take your word for it, as all the other online games I play or have played are shooters, racing games, and whatever Kid Icarus Uprising qualifies as.

Then I don't know. I guess the only thing I'm missing out on big-time is the huge levels, because the Wii U lag will likely be as bad or worse than the 3DS.

I haven't touched a Smash game in ages, much less had an opportunity to really get Brawl at all. :/ I'm poor like that, lol.

Still, kinda surprised Simon Belmont never makes the cut every time. Or any Belmont/character from Castlevania, honestly. They're long overdue for this kind of series, lol, I remember them being an NES staple for me.

I haven't touched a Smash game in ages, much less had an opportunity to really get Brawl at all. :/ I'm poor like that, lol.

Still, kinda surprised Simon Belmont never makes the cut every time. Or any Belmont/character from Castlevania, honestly. They're long overdue for this kind of series, lol, I remember them being an NES staple for me.
Well, with Brawl we got Snake, who is a Konami character just like Simon. But I'm pretty sure overall it's a licensing issue, especially considering that Snake did not return in Sm4sh.

I didn't see that as being worth the time--it's making an announcement for something they released over a month ago.
Well, it's relevant to those waiting for the WiiU version, and coincides with the release announcement for Duck Hunt on virtual console.

Well, it's relevant to those waiting for the WiiU version, and coincides with the release announcement for Duck Hunt on virtual console.
Duck Hunt on VC is cool, but for SSB4, even without the leak, the duck's out of the bag. Been out for over a month. I don't think the people who watch those videos are also the kind of people who don't already know the roster.

That was my thought as well, but I guess if you haven't played the 3DS version it was a nice overview of his moveset.

I'm also interested to see how they'll continue to handle the Amiibos, I wasn't expecting there to be current releases that would be compatible, especially on the level of a new weapon in HW. It's neat, but I'm still not sure I'd drop cash on the things.

That was my thought as well, but I guess if you haven't played the 3DS version it was a nice overview of his moveset.

I'm also interested to see how they'll continue to handle the Amiibos, I wasn't expecting there to be current releases that would be compatible, especially on the level of a new weapon in HW. It's neat, but I'm still not sure I'd drop cash on the things.
Amiibos are going to be like Streetpass, where Nintendo shoehorns the feature into any game they can think of, even if the idea does little to nothing for that game. The Amiibos for Smash Bros can gain experience points and grow stronger, but I don't see a purpose to that unless you and others all have Amiibos, and even then you'd want them evenly matched, so it's the same as usual. You can bring your custom moveset to people's houses, but again, not much purpose. The extra weapon in Hyrule Warriors is neat IF you have the Link Amiibo and the same hard-on for Twilight Princess that the HW developers have, but all other Amiibos just give you a random item or power-up--woop-de-shit.

Probably the best Amiibo use mentioned so far is that if used for Mario Kart 8 while playing as a Mii racer, that racer gets a costume based on that Amiibo character. And that is such a small feature that it's sad it's the best one. Maybe if it was a character-based cart as well.

They need a game akin to Disney Infinity or Skylanders to make the best use of these things. I still won't buy them, but kids will eat that shit up and it's the kind of playground you'd really need to make these things work.

Great to see the Duck Hunt dog make a comeback. :) Leak or not, it does help diversify the roster, IMO. The more creative the better. Definitely brought back some fun nostalgia after seeing the trailer. :D

Weird; Smash Bros now updates that a patch is forthcoming. Courteous of them, I suppose?

It purports to have balance fixes, but like with the last patch, Nintendo likely isn't going to tell us what was changed.

Picked up my Smash bundle (game/controller/adapter) earlier today. Got about an hour into it with the wife...holy hell Little Mac is fun.

I had already pre-ordered smash bros for the WiiU, so it was ready to play today. Again, my nintendo network ID is bowielee.

Add me so I can get pwned by all of you.

In case you can't tell, that's my subtle way of saying that I suck eggs at this game. Still love it, though.

My brother and I are going to be streaming all night while we play this. Gonna start around 10pm pacific. Hop in the stream and watch us go if you're like us an have nothing to do on a Friday night!
Twitch.tv/bumblesfumbles

I just played about eight hours with a couple of guys from my psychology masters program. It was a blast. We unlocked all characters except for the Duck Hunt dog.

Little Mac has been my favorite, by far.

I let my kids have free reign with it last night. I think they spent all night watching 8 man CPU battles.

I let my kids have free reign with it last night. I think they spent all night watching 8 man CPU battles.
Things started getting heated when they started running a betting ring on which cpu would win, and ended with one threatening to break the knees of the other if they didn't pay up the 200 yi-gi-oh cards they had lost by betting it all on cpu3.

So how's the online stability?
I'd say it's a little above what I expected from Nintendo with a game like Smash: there's a fair amount of lag at times, but that's likely due in large part to the sheer number of people playing. I played for ~2 hours online and had substantial lag in maybe 25-30% of those matches.

On another Smash related note...REALLY happy I preordered the limited edition bundle and snagged some controllers from the local pawn shop earlier this year. Apparently the GameCube controller adapters are nearly impossible to find right now and controller prices are shooting up.

I'd say it's a little above what I expected from Nintendo with a game like Smash: there's a fair amount of lag at times, but that's likely due in large part to the sheer number of people playing. I played for ~2 hours online and had substantial lag in maybe 25-30% of those matches.
Thanks for the answer.

I already wasn't going to buy this version, but I think I'm going to pass on even asking for it as a Christmas gift. With online so bogged down and me not having people to play with IRL besides my wife, I just don't think it's for me anymore. Which sucks.

Thanks for the answer.

I already wasn't going to buy this version, but I think I'm going to pass on even asking for it as a Christmas gift. With online so bogged down and me not having people to play with IRL besides my wife, I just don't think it's for me anymore. Which sucks.
Well, for what it's worth, I'd qualify my perspective with the fact that we were playing in the afternoon/early evening the Saturday after launch. Considering Nintendo's traditional difficulties with online experiences I'm somewhat impressed the lag we experienced launch week was so mild. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I really cast judgment on it, though.

Well, for what it's worth, I'd qualify my perspective with the fact that we were playing in the afternoon/early evening the Saturday after launch. Considering Nintendo's traditional difficulties with online experiences I'm somewhat impressed the lag we experienced launch week was so mild. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I really cast judgment on it, though.
I'm guessing that, considering this would be such a huge product and major expected profits for them, Nintendo stepped up the quality of their online service for it.