Super Smash Bros

You've never played a smash bros game before? The basics are simple: it's sumo wrestling. You win by forcing your opponent out of the arena, and the more damage you apply to them (raising their damage meter, which is shown as a percentage) the further they fly when you hit them.
I played the very first one back at university, on my room mate's N64 emulator on his computer. That felt easier to understand. I played a mean Samus back then.

Now, though, it feels like there's so much more going on. Also, the 3DS screen is significantly smaller than the computer screen I used to play on, which makes it harder to see the details of what's going on.

Going to give the demo some more play time, see if it grows on me, but right now this is feeling more like a pass than a buy, for me.

I don't know where else to put this:

Does anyone else notice their 3DS start-up has been slower since Tuesday's update? I can't help but wonder if Nintendo is implementing features now that will be better suited to the New 3DS, but our current 3DS's lack the processing power to undergo them smoothly.

I did buy the Zelda: ALBW theme, but my wife just has generic home theme and hers is running slow too.

Having had the game a week and a half, there are some things I think need to be said.

Now that the Wii U version has a release date, my advice is that if you have not already purchased the 3DS version, just wait for November 21st. Elements of multi-player in the 3DS are either gimped, such as no ability to contact friends, or don't exist, such as two-player online team-up friend vs strangers. These things will or should be present in the Wii U due to friends list and hardware differences.

It's frustrating for me because on some level I feel like I bought a gimped version of the game, with the proper version's release date purposely withheld until after the 3DS release. For Fun online is laggy as a rule, and though I'm in heaven while playing 1-on-1 in For Glory, I could've done that with the Wii U. The portable version doesn't serve much purpose compared to online play possibilities, and though personally my wife and I would like to have it so we can play when traveling, we do that very little and by the time we have our next big trip, Monster Hunter 4 will be out.

So, my feelings about the 3DS version are mixed. It IS Smash Bros and it's a blast, but I feel like there's a better way right around the corner, one I should've waited for. At this point, we've plunked down $80 on two 3DS copies. Another $60 for the same game isn't happening.

At the very least, for those of us that don't have a Wii U or don't plan to get one soon, I'm thankful for it. If you already have a Wii U, sure, why wouldn't you want to play with a friend's list and a screen as large as your TV can give you.

At the very least, for those of us that don't have a Wii U or don't plan to get one soon, I'm thankful for it. If you already have a Wii U, sure, why wouldn't you want to play with a friend's list and a screen as large as your TV can give you.
Correct, I should've made that part of my post. What I said pertains to if you already have a Wii U. For people with only a 3DS and no plans to get a Wii U, it's still really good.

I just wish they would stop gimping features of the 3DS for the sake of the damn Wii U. I bought a Wii U and I have a 3DS. My 3DS shouldn't get punished just because the Wii U isn't meeting sales expectations.

I think it's the limitations of the 3DS as a console, and not the sales of the WiiU, that is to blame for missing features in Smash Bros, like voice chat. The game is already maxing out the power of the hardware, it doesn't even have cpu to spare for bringing up the home menu. Try it, shit takes forever.

Though, a way to ping buddies to see if they want to play would be nice. Maybe they'll add that in a patch (wishful thinking)[DOUBLEPOST=1413260595,1413260368][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, apparently, the gamecube controller adapter that is being released for the Wii U alongside Smash Bros is -only- compatible with Smash Bros, whereas before it was thought that it would work with any game that supports the pro controller.

I think it's the limitations of the 3DS as a console, and not the sales of the WiiU, that is to blame for missing features in Smash Bros, like voice chat. The game is already maxing out the power of the hardware, it doesn't even have cpu to spare for bringing up the home menu. Try it, shit takes forever.

Though, a way to ping buddies to see if they want to play would be nice. Maybe they'll add that in a patch (wishful thinking)[DOUBLEPOST=1413260595,1413260368][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, apparently, the gamecube controller adapter that is being released for the Wii U alongside Smash Bros is -only- compatible with Smash Bros, whereas before it was thought that it would work with any game that supports the pro controller.
There's no hardware limitations preventing two people from joining an online game together as a team to fight others; it's no different than if you did Team Smash with all strangers. They chose not to mix the Friends section with anything else. As for pinging friends, Swapnote was once a method for this, but Nintendo nerfed that due to concerns about what messages people would send each other. I really don't think there will be any patches aside from integrating DLC into the main game. But yeah, the home screen takes forever because the 3DS has to reset. In fact, it takes less time to switch over from Smash Bros to another game than just heading back to the home screen.

B

BErt

@Zero Esc that was all incredibly helpful, thanks. Don't have a Wii U yet but plan on getting one soon (when we can grab Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2 all at once) but I've been going crazy keeping myself from grabbing the 3DS version.

Also, apparently, the gamecube controller adapter that is being released for the Wii U alongside Smash Bros is -only- compatible with Smash Bros, whereas before it was thought that it would work with any game that supports the pro controller.
I don't suspect that will effect sales much, is there anything on the system that would benefit as much with a GC controller? And I know this is at risk of "let me google that for you" but is the adaptor expected to work with wavebirds?

@Zero Esc that was all incredibly helpful, thanks. Don't have a Wii U yet but plan on getting one soon (when we can grab Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2 all at once) but I've been going crazy keeping myself from grabbing the 3DS version.

I don't suspect that will effect sales much, is there anything on the system that would benefit as much with a GC controller? And I know this is at risk of "let me google that for you" but is the adaptor expected to work with wavebirds?
It's said to support gamecube controllers and wavebirds, so yes. And while I can't think of anything that -needs- a gamecube controller, I don't see why the option shouldn't be there for those who -want- to use it in place of a pro controller.

Zappit

Staff member
I've got an original 3DS, and I had to take a break from the game because the eye strain on that screen is horrible. It is not easy, because I'm frigging loving this game.

I've got an original 3DS, and I had to take a break from the game because the eye strain on that screen is horrible. It is not easy, because I'm frigging loving this game.
I can't imagine playing it on an original 3DS. The characters get small enough as it is on an XL.

Although, I'd abstain from an upgrade until the New 3DS comes out. Even the regular model will have a larger screen, and some articles I've read say the regular New 3DS does its large screen better than the XL. I'm guessing this is due to screen resolution.

I'm conflicted about which New 3DS to get when they come out abroad. While I love my big screen on my 3DS XL, the New 3DS regular size has a largish screen (not as big) yet improved screen resolution, while the New 3DS XL will have the same resolution as the regular XL. I'm debating whether I want to keep the huge size, or if I want to finally not have jaggies when playing certain games.

I'll have to see more when demo units come to the U.S.

Also, @Gusto favor me with your presence in Smash! I see you!

I'm conflicted about which New 3DS to get when they come out abroad. While I love my big screen on my 3DS XL, the New 3DS regular size has a largish screen (not as big) yet improved screen resolution, while the New 3DS XL will have the same resolution as the regular XL. I'm debating whether I want to keep the huge size, or if I want to finally not have jaggies when playing certain games.

I'll have to see more when demo units come to the U.S.

Also, @Gusto favor me with your presence in Smash! I see you!
why...why would they new XL have the same resolution. Why would they do that.

To highlight my earlier point about waiting, today's Smash Bros screenshot from Sakurai showed modes cut from the 3DS, now returned to the Wii U, and there will be a Nintendo Direct on Thursday going over 50 new things for the Wii U version.

Oh, and Wii U version is getting the Hyrule Temple stage from Melee.

Which emphasizes that most of the stages in the 3DS one are samey and too small. I regret getting this, because between the cut features and the AWFUL LAG, the only thing I feel I can get enjoyment out of now is 1-on-1 For Glory, but that's just one thing. I want the whole Smash Bros package. I want the craziness and not in slow-mo. But we've already dropped $80. I've been looking forward to this game for years and I bought the crappy version. If I'd known it was going to be that, I wouldn't have bought it--which I'm sure was Nintendo's plan all along.

Just gonna have to cross my fingers that I find some way to get the Wii U version someday for cheaps and without the money going to Nintendo. The one good thing the 3DS version will provide me is for whenever I next go to a con. The four-player zaniness won't be lagged to hell when it's local.

If you thought the portable version that's $20 cheaper than the console version was going to have as many features as the console version, then I don't really know what to tell you.

I'm enjoying it for exactly what it is, portable Smash.

If you thought the portable version that's $20 cheaper than the console version was going to have as many features as the console version, then I don't really know what to tell you.

I'm enjoying it for exactly what it is, portable Smash.
I didn't think the online was going to be a disaster and I thought the stuff they'd said was different was all, not that they're be so much news within a week or so after the 3DS one. I thought Nintendo was being upfront.

I don't know what the fuck Nintendo's problem is with the internet, but man they refuse to make games work with it in any tolerable capacity.

You didn't think online would be a disaster?! I certainly did. :/
Brawl was so many years ago. Hell, maybe I'm being optimistic about the Wii U having it better.

I don't know what the fuck Nintendo's problem is with the internet, but man they refuse to make games work with it in any tolerable capacity.
Funny thing is, Sakurai's last game, Kid Icarus Uprising, has pretty demanding online, lots of action and stuff, but it works just fine. If you lag, it's on you; it doesn't stall up the whole thing for everyone else.

In fact, I might play that this week, because the online for that is a blast. Still one of the best 3DS games despite the release of Smash Bros.