Super Smash Bros

Well, for what it's worth, I'd qualify my perspective with the fact that we were playing in the afternoon/early evening the Saturday after launch. Considering Nintendo's traditional difficulties with online experiences I'm somewhat impressed the lag we experienced launch week was so mild. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I really cast judgment on it, though.
True.

Speaking of which, after trying out the Wii U version of smash bros, I feel a little cheated getting the 3DS version. It doesn't even really compare.

Speaking of which, after trying out the Wii U version of smash bros, I feel a little cheated getting the 3DS version. It doesn't even really compare.
It's really not fair in general to compare a mobile version of the game to a console version of a game.

Speaking of console and mobile versions, I'm kind of pissed that Mewtwo is going to be exclusive for those who own both versions.

It's really not fair in general to compare a mobile version of the game to a console version of a game.

Speaking of console and mobile versions, I'm kind of pissed that Mewtwo is going to be exclusive for those who own both versions.
Actually, I think Nintendo has announced that Mewtwo will eventually get a wider DLC release. Not for a while, however, which does kind of irk me.

Honestly, my main annoyance regarding characters is Dark Pit. He's a clone fighter whose similarity to Pit really annoys me. At least Dr. Mario feels more divergent from normal Mario. I think that someone else could have taken Dark Pit's spot, like perhaps Wonder-Red.

Actually, I think Nintendo has announced that Mewtwo will eventually get a wider DLC release. Not for a while, however, which does kind of irk me.

Honestly, my main annoyance regarding characters is Dark Pit. He's a clone fighter whose similarity to Pit really annoys me. At least Dr. Mario feels more divergent from normal Mario. I think that someone else could have taken Dark Pit's spot, like perhaps Wonder-Red.
Dark Pit really didn't take away a lot of production time from the other fighters, purely because he is so similar to normal Pit. It's not like they had x number of slots, and Dark Pit being included took a slot away from another fighter.

Most likely what happened is the same that brought about Mario and Dr Mario. They tweaked Pit's moves, and decided to keep both versions.

Plus, Sakurai came up with Dark Pit, so I think it's fair to let him throw that one in.

Olimar/Alph just sucks so much ...

You didn't need to try the Wii U version for that; just watch the Wii U version's Nintendo Direct. I thought that we'd essentially be getting the same game, like Shovel Knight. Hahaha, no. No, no, no. Not at all.

I kind of hope someone got me the Wii U version for Christmas, because I'm not giving Nintendo more money for it.

I do not believe this is true. The entire reason they gave for doing it was for promotion of getting the 3DS version.

I finally registered my Wii U Smash Bros, and then laughed that the soundtrack is being physically delivered to me on CD. Oh Nintendo.

I finally registered my Wii U Smash Bros, and then laughed that the soundtrack is being physically delivered to me on CD. Oh Nintendo.
In March, no less.

My cousins got me the Wii U version for Christmas. I haven't popped it in yet; maybe after my wife watches one of the 10 DVDs I got her.

Brother got the WiiU version from his fiance for Christmas.

I'm really enjoying Palutena and Rosalina in the newcomer pool, though I have a few others I haven't played yet. Bowser feels really strong now, and doesn't feel as slow and clunky as he used to. I think the only character I've played and not really liked so far is Sheik.

Shulk seems like he'd be really great if you focused on learning him, especially with the Monado Signs. Speed makes him so fast I almost ran off a few edges multiple times.

Having played Smash on the Wii U a little bit, my current thoughts:

- Much better levels. In pretty much every way.
- Eight player Smash is fun, but I doubt I'll ever have eight people at my house for it. Looks like I need Amiibo friends :awesome:
- On that note, online will never be as fun as having people present, but at least it runs pretty smooth. There have been a couple moments of slowdown here and there, but the game never just stopped and ran a loading cycle like it does for stretches on the 3DS.
- However, with online not being as fun ... there's nothing Nintendo can do about that unless they allowed microphones to work during the game like PC, Playstation, and Xbox games do. If they don't allow mic use for Splatoon, I'll have to reconsider purchasing it, because ...
- My wife hates this. The 3DS screen is better for her, with tiny levels close to her face, but this is just chaos to her. So, I pretty much have to play solo.

I did start to have more fun when I took the For Fun battles more seriously. The 3DS lag problems kind of ruined me in that I took For Fun battles to mean spamming a wide move (which isn't very fun). Now I have the freedom to actually fight, so I'll have to try again and do that more. I still wish items dropped more often.

I've been working to unlock stuff, so I haven't done much outside the Games/More section. I'm really having fun with Palutena, her basic moveset doesn't have much offense so you have to rely on her normal attacks, which is fine because her Smash moves are crazy strong.

Rosalina/Luma is interesting, your Luma can actually fall and die like the Ice Climbers non-controlled character, except it will respawn eventually.

- Eight player Smash is fun, but I doubt I'll ever have eight people at my house for it. Looks like I need Amiibo friends :awesome:
- On that note, online will never be as fun as having people present, but at least it runs pretty smooth. There have been a couple moments of slowdown here and there, but the game never just stopped and ran a loading cycle like it does for stretches on the 3DS.
- However, with online not being as fun ... there's nothing Nintendo can do about that unless they allowed microphones to work during the game like PC, Playstation, and Xbox games do. If they don't allow mic use for Splatoon, I'll have to reconsider purchasing it, because ...
- My wife hates this. The 3DS screen is better for her, with tiny levels close to her face, but this is just chaos to her. So, I pretty much have to play solo.

I did start to have more fun when I took the For Fun battles more seriously. The 3DS lag problems kind of ruined me in that I took For Fun battles to mean spamming a wide move (which isn't very fun). Now I have the freedom to actually fight, so I'll have to try again and do that more. I still wish items dropped more often.
Maybe play on smaller stages have your wife use the gamepad? There are plenty of small stages the Wii U version.

As an aside, I am getting very sick of Swype dropping words on me because it can't keep up.

Last edited:
I'm actually working on learning Jigglypuff. Man, when you get to know how to play her, she's deadly as hell.[DOUBLEPOST=1420062276,1420062223][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I love the weird/hard to learn characters, but I have to reiterate what was said earlier. What the hell good is Alph/Olimar?

I'm hoping to work on my Bowser/Palutena/RosaLuma game, they're all a lot of fun to play. Once I feel more comfortable with the game itself I might work on Shulk, he seems pretty awesome if you get his Monado Sigils down.

Zero: One of these days we will have to face-off.
I'm also down for some Mario Kart again.

In Mario Kart, sure, but I sold Smash Bros Wii U. Only have the 3DS version now, and that's because I'm stuck with it (download).
Sorry to hear. I don't get a chance to play it much, but it seems like a fun game. I guess I might have more people available to play it with.

What days typically work for you for Mario Kart? I have the weekend off. I'm sure we can find a good time if you and your wife are down.

Sorry to hear. I don't get a chance to play it much, but it seems like a fun game. I guess I might have more people available to play it with.

What days typically work for you for Mario Kart? I have the weekend off. I'm sure we can find a good time if you and your wife are down.
Considering you have kids, yeah, you have more people to play with :p. My cousins moved away and Julie hates Smash, so it just wasn't fun alone.

We can probably play for a little bit sometime this weekend; maybe Saturday evening. Just keep in mind we're 3 hours ahead of you.

Since I missed that post I'm going to have to find another day that works. Are there any of the upcoming days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) that work for you?

Since I missed that post I'm going to have to find another day that works. Are there any of the upcoming days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) that work for you?
Not this week. Probably not until mid-March, to be honest; I probably should've expressed that in the post.

Not this week. Probably not until mid-March, to be honest; I probably should've expressed that in the post.
Stop being busy. You're a writer. You're supposed to make your own schedule.
(Note - Author of above post has absolutely no idea what a writer's schedule is supposed to be like)

Stop being busy. You're a writer. You're supposed to make your own schedule.
(Note - Author of above post has absolutely no idea what a writer's schedule is supposed to be like)
I'm an editor as my day job; writing ain't paying the bills yet, so that takes up free time. The reason we won't have socializing time for a bit is pre-vacation quest management, vacation, and then post-vacation. Four kids is harder to deal with than four rats, but kids can be taken with you; we have some stuff we gotta get prepared with other people before we can leave our pets for a week.

Mewtwo coming in late April, and Lucas coming in June!

Also, you can go to smashbros.com to vote for other characters to be introduced as DLC.