[TV] Steven Universe (spoilers)

Rose is complicated, and certainly not a saint, but I can also see this another way: Bismuth took things to a level that Rose never wanted it to go. Bismuth, it seems, became an unforgiving zealot, and there's no coming back from a shattered gem. Bismuth said that Rose preached even Gems could forge their own destiny, and a lot of the Gems who fought for Homeworld were only doing so because they thought there was no other choice. If they shattered those Gems, there'd be no hope for them to learn otherwise. I think she knew how well-liked Bismuth was, and she didn't want the others to know Bismuth was willing and ready to commit genocide. It was both terrible not to tell the truth, and at the same time, a chance for Bismuth to start over with a clean slate, which Rose felt every Gem deserved.

I did find it interesting that Rose was made on Earth though. A rank and file soldier... and yet her shield could withstand the assault of a Diamond. Yeah, there is something on Earth that makes Gems powerful and she's hide it.
I'm not sure Bismuth meant on Earth. She said "right here in the dirt" but I'm not sure if that was generalizing. The kindergarten seemed like a fresh thing.

Either that or...she's not JUST a quartz. Either she's Pink Diamond, or a super Quartz, because COME ON!
Well, Bismuth said Rose lies. And Garnet has pointed out in the past that Rose keeps secrets. So if Ash is right that Bismuth meant Rose was formed on Earth, that doesn't mean Bismuth knew the truth.

What's unfortunate is that Bismuth misunderstood the situation. The rebellion was winning, without that weapon. That's why the diamonds sent the corruption wave.

Anyway, end of the episode ... poor Steven.

Something else about what Bismuth said... if Rose was made "right here in the dirt", then are some gems not made through kindergartens? Is THAT why the Diamonds are so much stronger and greater than other Gems, because they were made artificially or something?

I know many think that Rose is Pink Diamond, but my theory is that Rose was actually the "daughter" of Pink Diamond, maybe even the first Gem born on Earth after Pink Diamond began colonizing it thousands of years ago. Due to the properties of Earth, Rose was born more free spirited then most other Gems. It's likely all Earth-born Gems carried this trait (look at Amethyst), but being the first, she held favoritism and privilege, which would explain why she had so many gardens and secret places of her own, and likely lived a mostly care-free life for the first part of the colonization.

At some point, Rose's outlook influenced the mindset of Pink Diamond herself, who returned to Homeworld to inform the other Diamonds that she was going to end the Earth Colony to preserve the planet, as there was something greater about it that they had yet to explore. Considering they wanted it to be a mass produced Kindergarten Colony, the other Diamonds disagreed, and shattered (or maybe imprisoned) Pink Diamond, removing her from the Authority and sending Blue Diamond to finish the conversion. When Rose learned of what happened, she started the rebellion to save Earth and avenge her "mother", with Pearl attaching to her due to the loss of her Diamond. All the other earth-born Gems joined with her, as they held the same connection to the planet that she had, plus any converts (like Bismuth, and later Garnet).

I mean, it makes more sense to me, since Rose isn't a diamond (not the shape or quality), but is obviously not a "run of the mill" Gem either, she is the only Quartz (aka warrior) that has a shield rather then a regular weapon, Bismuth has to make her a weapon for her to fight in the Rebellion. I have a feeling she was actually the first (and only) of her kind, all due to her birth thousands of years ago when the planet was young and unspoiled.

I wonder what Roses purpose was in the first place.
Maybe she had no purpose, that might be why she became such a catalyst for change among other gems, even ones originally from off-world.

Gems: "We are all born for a function. It's how it has always been."

Rose: "Not me. I have no born purpose, I get to choose how I live!"

Gems: "WAaaaaahhhhh!?"

Honestly, many see Rose as this saintly, enigmatic character of great power with motherly traits, but the more we get to know her, she seems more like a big space hippy. Before she met Greg, it's implied she had many "loves" over the years, Pearl even commenting on it. She seems to care more about her own entertainment and enjoyment, even the humans she seems to cherish more like pets then equals in her eyes, at least till Greg came along and actually challenged her perceptions. Hell, in Greg the Babysitter we learn she didn't even know that a baby was just a newly born human, she thought they were a whole other species, and this was in modern times, so it's not like she hasn't be around to already figure this out. She likely just didn't care since learning such info didn't bring her any pleasure till Greg came around and she became infatuated with him.

Hell, in Greg the Babysitter we learn she didn't even know that a baby was just a newly born human, she thought they were a whole other species, and this was in modern times, so it's not like she hasn't be around to already figure this out.
She knew Greg and baby Sour Cream were the same species; she said it took her a long time to figure it out.

After thinking about it more, I feel like us Rose Quartz = Pink Diamond people are reaching. The show isn't much for red herrings, so Rose probably is just another quartz, probably was made on Earth.

Also:

This is nothing new for Bismuth.

I wonder what Roses purpose was in the first place.
I'm guessing her healing powers made her important,or was her purpose, since no one else seems to have them. (Rose quartzes are associated with healing, for people into gem stuff irl.)[DOUBLEPOST=1470440640,1470440520][/DOUBLEPOST]
I mentioned this a week ago to Mr. Z, but it would seem last night confirmed it.

BOOTLEG! Massive Shakey cam, but still much obliged Canadian SU fan! Those of us who have suffered because of the fucking olympics, the most destructive sporting event of all time, thank you!

Also is Dailymotion's site crap for everyone else, or just me? I forget how to watch DM vids not on DM.

BOOTLEG! Massive Shakey cam, but still much obliged Canadian SU fan! Those of us who have suffered because of the fucking olympics, the most destructive sporting event of all time, thank you!

Also is Dailymotion's site crap for everyone else, or just me? I forget how to watch DM vids not on DM.
It keeps blacking out around 5:24 and I can't get visual again. :( (But thanks anyway, Yoshi.)

Wait, I got the second half to work!

...really?! That's where you stop?!
Yeah, I wanted to blame the Olympics, but now I think its because its a two parter....nah I'll still blame the Olympics. EITHER WAY-hell of a cliff hanger in retrospect!

EITHER WAY-Lapis and Peridot are my favorite room-mates ever.

Smoky Quartz!!!! And that does explain two major plot theories: whether you can force fusion and who Rose is/isn't.

Smoky Quartz!!!! And that does explain two major plot theories: whether you can force fusion and who Rose is/isn't.
And considering fusion is a stand-in for... physical things, that means Jasper was willing to force another being into that sort of situation. And basically caught an STD doing it. That's... kind of fucked up.

It looks like you both could, and couldn't, I think Jasper and the monster were both feeling really scared and created a fusion based on that fear...and admittedly it looked awesome, like a Virus type Digimon!

And as for who Rose is...at this point I really hope she's not Pink Diamond...because that would mean she betrayed her OWN forces, forces that LOVED her.

Also the timeline might not add up.[DOUBLEPOST=1470699336,1470699245][/DOUBLEPOST]
And considering fusion is a stand-in for... physical things, that means Jasper was willing to force another being into that sort of situation. And basically caught an STD doing it. That's... kind of fucked up.
That's SU for ya! Seriously though, it pisses me off that the Corruption forms are bad, they just look so COOL!

In a way, the corruption is like Gem HIV/AIDS, which is all kinds of terrible.

And as for who Rose is...at this point I really hope she's not Pink Diamond...because that would mean she betrayed her OWN forces, forces that LOVED her.
I'm sure we'll find out soon, but it does seem that Jasper doesn't actually know everything that went on, considering she's confused how the Corruptions came to be.

In a way, the corruption is like Gem HIV/AIDS, which is all kinds of terrible.
Which makes it even WORSE, because it plays into that whole "the Government caused the AIDS Epidemic" conspiracy theory that plagued the gay community for so long, what with the Diamonds being the cause of the corruption.

Which makes it even WORSE, because it plays into that whole "the Government caused the AIDS Epidemic" conspiracy theory that plagued the gay community for so long, what with the Diamonds being the cause of the corruption.
Yeah, that was what I was referring to when I posted, although in this case there's no doubt it was caused by the Diamonds.

Was it Ash who called Jasper getting corrupted in the future? I can't remember. But it sure did happen.

This episode confirms Rose Quartz and Pink Diamond are two different individuals; they pretty much eliminated all room for doubt. Jasper wouldn't be wanting to finish Rose Quartz for doing something to Rose Quartz--she specifically said what Rose did to "my Diamond" and when Steven mistook that for Yellow, she said "My diamond! Her diamond! Pink! Diamond!" So Rose was also a follower of Pink Diamond and turned on her. We were wrong.

That said, it seems Rose did betray her fellow followers of Pink Diamond, at least those who didn't join in the rebellion. This also presents us with the scale of the rebellion, that a new kindergarten was needed, that a Diamond was lost.

But let's not focus on only sad things! Steven's little speech to Amethyst was great because yeah, she's nothing like Jasper, and considering Jasper's personality, shouldn't want to be. And then they fucking fused! I was hoping they would, but didn't think it would happen, and it was wonderful. Excellent episode all around.

And now, little dumb Ruby antics :D.

Was it Ash who called Jasper getting corrupted in the future? I can't remember. But it sure did happen.
There's a marathon coming up called "Jasper's Corruption" you might've seen that somewhere.

This episode confirms Rose Quartz and Pink Diamond are two different individuals; they pretty much eliminated all room for doubt. Jasper wouldn't be wanting to finish Rose Quartz for doing something to Rose Quartz--she specifically said what Rose did to "my Diamond" and when Steven mistook that for Yellow, she said "My diamond! Her diamond! Pink! Diamond!" So Rose was also a follower of Pink Diamond and turned on her. We were wrong.
I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if Pink staged her death, it feels like a classic Rose Quartz lie...liar. EITHER THAT-or Pink isn't dead and everything Rose did was all part of her plan.

That said, it seems Rose did betray her fellow followers of Pink Diamond, at least those who didn't join in the rebellion. This also presents us with the scale of the rebellion, that a new kindergarten was needed, that a Diamond was lost.
I think that Kindergarten was made before Pink Diamond was lost, given that's where Jasper was and she clearly had memories of her.

But let's not focus on only sad things! Steven's little speech to Amethyst was great because yeah, she's nothing like Jasper, and considering Jasper's personality, shouldn't want to be. And then they fucking fused! I was hoping they would, but didn't think it would happen, and it was wonderful. Excellent episode all around.

And now, little dumb Ruby antics :D.
Agree to both! RUBY FORCE ASSEMBLE!

There's a marathon coming up called "Jasper's Corruption" you might've seen that somewhere.
Nope, I don't look at stuff ahead of time. Self control FTW.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if Pink staged her death, it feels like a classic Rose Quartz lie...liar. EITHER THAT-or Pink isn't dead and everything Rose did was all part of her plan.
Which doesn't sound too different from the stuff I was coming up with last week, but again after thinking about it, the show doesn't do red herrings; it gives hints and then reveals. Stuff like this and what I said last week is just fanwanking; the show's pretty straightforward.

I think that Kindergarten was made before Pink Diamond was lost, given that's where Jasper was and she clearly had memories of her.
Correct. Rebellion, kindergarten, a Diamond is lost.

I'm kinda hoping for a red herring though myself. I'm okay either way...especially if it turns out Rose ISN'T a traitor to the people made for her and just a normal rebel.

B

BErt

...I'm gonna put stuff here later, but I was way behind and just had to watch like the last 20 episodes in a row and - holy pants - I can't cohesively say anything right now. But I will, I promise...

...I'm gonna put stuff here later, but I was way behind and just had to watch like the last 20 episodes in a row and - holy pants - I can't cohesively say anything right now. But I will, I promise...
*GASP*-YOU WATCHED THAT MUCH SU IN A ROW FOR THE FIRST TIME?! Dear lord...the fact that the emotional centers of your brain isn't jelly right now is amazing.

B

BErt

*GASP*-YOU WATCHED THAT MUCH SU IN A ROW FOR THE FIRST TIME?! Dear lord...the fact that the emotional centers of your brain isn't jelly right now is amazing.
nooo...it is. and that's why i need time. I need to just sit down for a minute.

EDIT. I'm Jelly; You Jelly :p

Well ... how can that be? The gems were a whole unit, the Diamonds in union, so rebelling is being a traitor.
Its the lesser of two horrible things, one is just one lone traitor who by the bulk of Homeworld's beliefs lost her place, the other is their beloved leader straight up betraying them.