Export thread

Steven Universe (spoilers)

Limit: 500

evilmike

evilmike

I thought it might be a good idea to create a unique thread for SU spoiler discussion so that the main animation thread doesn't get overwhelmed.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Okay, I'll bite!

Is anyone else wondering what they did with Jasper? I hate to say this, but the smart thing would have been to "poof" her like they did Peridot and bubble her for now. On one hand, it is kinda cruel, but it's neutralizing a threat like the other gem creatures they've bubbled. Leaving her on the island creates more drama from a story point, but I would hope the Crystal Gems were practical in this case.

I'm worried that Steven bubbling the cluster is like putting a band aid on a gaping wound. It's a temporary solution, at best. But to address what @Zero Esc said, I think what we're seeing is why Rose Quartz created Steven in the first place. The Gems are a conquering race with no value of others, or even themselves at times. Steven values life and wants to find any means necessary to preserve it. I like that he is the anti-Gem in that regard. I know it's not always going to work, but his kindness and trust have worked better in the long run than the use of force (Centipeetle, Lapis, Peridot, for example).

evilmike

evilmike

Okay, I'll bite!

Is anyone else wondering what they did with Jasper? I hate to say this, but the smart thing would have been to "poof" her like they did Peridot and bubble her for now. On one hand, it is kinda cruel, but it's neutralizing a threat like the other gem creatures they've bubbled. Leaving her on the island creates more drama from a story point, but I would hope the Crystal Gems were practical in this case.

I'm worried that Steven bubbling the cluster is like putting a band aid on a gaping wound. It's a temporary solution, at best. But to address what @Zero Esc said, I think what we're seeing is why Rose Quartz created Steven in the first place. The Gems are a conquering race with no value of others, or even themselves at times. Steven values life and wants to find any means necessary to preserve it. I like that he is the anti-Gem in that regard. I know it's not always going to work, but his kindness and trust have worked better in the long run than the use of force (Centipeetle, Lapis, Peridot, for example).
-- It looked like Jasper fell into the fissure created by the earthquake. I think the implication is that they lost track of her in the chaos.

-- The thing that they need to figure out is how to sort out crystal fragments and rebuild the gems that they came from. As for Steven having a specific function, that seems a bit Machiavellian on Rose's part, but the show does go that dark sometimes, so.... maybe?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm pretty sure we're going to see Jasper try to force a fusion with the Cluster or something. That seems like the natural evolution of her character. Alternatively, she pops back up whenever Yellow Diamond decides to get off her butt and come to Earth.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

From what I've seen, after defusing Lapis is knocked the fuck OUT and it'll take about as or maybe less time for Jasper to wake up. The difference being....she'll be at the bottom of the ocean. AND-considering logically her mindscape will PROBABLY be a bit muddled, she is gon' go on a revenge trip of self-discovery. And then after trying to kill Steven, they will then become friends because STEVEN! I hope she becomes like, the Piccolo to Steven's Gohan.

ALSO-once again the Gem's urge to keep Steven safe was the absolute wrong move. STOP CODDLING HIM!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

ALSO-once again the Gem's urge to keep Steven safe was the absolute wrong move. STOP CODDLING HIM!
In this case, it probably was the right move. They had to fuse into Alexandrite just to match Malacite's size and power... they wouldn't have been able to cover him. And Malacite had NO trouble slaughtering the Watermelon Stevens, so I imagine Lapis wasn't exactly in control anymore. Steven could have EASILY gotten squished.

There is also the fact that if Steven HAD gone with them, he'd have been stuck on the island with them and Peridot would have had to try and stop the cluster by herself... something her machine clearly couldn't do. Basically, if Steven hadn't been with her, the world would have been destroyed.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

CLEH-true. Either way he and those Melons are a damn FIGHTING FORCE!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think Jasper's gem might be cracked and that's why we didn't see her face.

Also, Tumblr reminded me that all gems can shapeshift, so they could have stopped Jasper from falling into the fissure and either forgot or were too tired from the big fusion or didn't really care that much (besides Steven, who always cares).

If my theory is right and Steven heals Jasper, that might be the start of bringing her over to the winning team, because it seems Steven is going to befriend the entire universe by the end of this show.

-- The thing that they need to figure out is how to sort out crystal fragments and rebuild the gems that they came from.
I'm not certain that's even possible at this point. Rose Quartz wanted to heal shattered gems, but even figuring out which pieces match which may not be doable. The shards may need to form a new consciousness, and the bubble could give them the chance to do that.

What they really need to do is find a way to extract the Cluster from the Earth. If it forms in space, it won't cause them problems just by existing, and could potentially help protect the planet.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

YES-Crystal Gem Mogo! That'd be rad.

As for them not saving Jasper, keep in mind they were both A.) On a breaking cliff and were holding onto a Watermelon Steven and the one Homeworlder they knew didn't automatically want to kill them and B.)They just defused from Alexandrite, quite possibly their most complicated fusion. ALSO-Pearl...tried to save her, so yeah!

I'd be totally down if Jasper was cracked, AND if that were how Steven got the confidence to get his fusion powers working again.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd be totally down if Jasper was cracked, AND if that were how Steven got the confidence to get his fusion powers working again.
Healing?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...well...technically he was MADE from the fusion of a Gem and Human DNA, so technically they are fusion powers! I didn't make a bizarre Freudian slip! HAHAHAHAHA!

figmentPez

figmentPez

CLEH-true. Either way he and those Melons are a damn FIGHTING FORCE!
Melwoks?

No... that's not right...

That's even further off!

My google-fu has failed me.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

In tonight's episode, Steven sorta says New Jersey isn't that bad...I'll TAKE IT!

Celt Z

Celt Z

(Whoops, posted in the other thread)

Anyway, we don't like you either, Universe-writers! Get out of our air space!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Not gonna lie though, was kinda hoping they'd have a more clever name than...Jersey. Pennsylvania became Keystone, why couldn't we get a fancy new SU name?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"You'd like it there. I think they hate the Earth too." Is probably my favorite line of the series.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Not gonna lie though, was kinda hoping they'd have a more clever name than...Jersey. Pennsylvania became Keystone, why couldn't we get a fancy new SU name?
We could have been Garden State, but that would really confuse the jokes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

We could have been Garden State, but that would really confuse the jokes.
"Let's go to Garden!"

...yeah Jersey is better, they probably had a whole writing meeting about this and that was the best they could do.

evilmike

evilmike

I'm just glad they stayed away from Metropolis and Gotham, those could have ended badly. :)

I was a little surprised that the galaxy warp pad wasn't repaired. I thought there was a chance Steven's attempt to fix it in "Catch and Release" was successful, just not immediately so (which would give Yellow Diamond a backdoor to Earth.)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maryland is stealing New York's Jersey hate. This is a privilege, not a right!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

ER-HRM!

Just so 'yall know.

figmentPez

figmentPez

In Lapis's flashback, I could identify a lot of the gem types, including multiple Jaspers, but what was the thing that attacked her with the multi-colored dreads/tentacles for hair?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

In Lapis's flashback, I could identify a lot of the gem types, including multiple Jaspers, but what was the thing that attacked her with the multi-colored dreads/tentacles for hair?
At this point no-one knows, judging from her Gem I'm assuming Bismuth, as in the bubbled Gem in Lion's dimension. I REALLY hope she's a rogue Crystal Gem, that'd be awesome.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

VIVA LA FRANCE!

ALSO-
Oooooooooooooh Jasper is in troublllllllllle! Here's hoping her obvious ostracization from YD will have our big buff Chetto Puff join the CGs!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Okay, Hit the Diamond was really cute. Easily the best breather episode in awhile.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Great, now we have to have spoiler tags in the spoiler thread because Cartoon Network decided France should get the last two episodes early, not realizing how ravenous the fanbase for this show is.

Would it be considered unacceptable or get Halforums in trouble for me to link the Dailymotion upload for those who haven't seen them yet? I don't want this thread degenerating into just spoiler tags like it became in the thread we were ousted from.

evilmike

evilmike

Great, now we have to have spoiler tags in the spoiler thread because Cartoon Network decided France should get the last two episodes early, not realizing how ravenous the fanbase for this show is.

Would it be considered unacceptable or get Halforums in trouble for me to link the Dailymotion upload for those who haven't seen them yet? I don't want this thread degenerating into just spoiler tags like it became in the thread we were ousted from.
How about we handle spoilers less formally by using the following format:

Episode Name

Spoilers go here

As for linking the videos, I think it's probably enough that we know where they are and are easy to find by searching for the episode title.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We're supposed to be getting another episode later today too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We're supposed to be getting another episode later today too.
Wait, what? I thought it was just five episodes.

Though I suppose May isn't over yet.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wait, what? I thought it was just five episodes.

Though I suppose May isn't over yet.
*shrug* I may have miscounted, but I think we're getting one more.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'ma just say it though...can one really call this an "Event"? It was like just, five normal back to back episodes. Honestly it felt more like it ended in the middle than the actual ending.

EITHER WAY-I need more of the Ruby rangers.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Floats

UGH-took him two and a half seasons to figure that out but I'm glad.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'ma just say it though...can one really call this an "Event"? It was like just, five normal back to back episodes. Honestly it felt more like it ended in the middle than the actual ending.

I kind of have to agree. The primary thing the event was named after was done on the FIRST NIGHT of the event, with the rest of the episodes hardly having the same weight. At least the Week of Sardonyx actually haf 5 episodes where the shit ABOUT Sardonyx MATTERED.

figmentPez

figmentPez

And I need a pic of Garnet busting through a wall. "Not all Rubies!"

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I kind of have to agree. The primary thing the event was named after was done on the FIRST NIGHT of the event, with the rest of the episodes hardly having the same weight. At least the Week of Sardonyx actually haf 5 episodes where the shit ABOUT Sardonyx MATTERED.
Its kind of like Grant Morrison's Batman run, how they give certain parts of it EXCITING names to make you think its a stand-alone story...where in reality, its the damn middle of it and not even the start of said story.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It is an event in the sense that we finally got more Steven Universe episodes, but really those two episodes should've been the end of the last set, not the start of this one. Felt kinda anti-climactic this way, though will be better on rewatching. I don't blame the people doing the show; I blame Cartoon Network.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Okay, watched new episode.

"I would've liked a hug."

Aww.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It is an event in the sense that we finally got more Steven Universe episodes, but really those two episodes should've been the end of the last set, not the start of this one. Felt kinda anti-climactic this way, though will be better on rewatching. I don't blame the people doing the show; I blame Cartoon Network.
Especially since the rest of the episodes are much lighter. We could have used the last 4 as "Steven Summer of Fun" considering how light they've been and then used the last slot for something heavier.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I may have gone over-board with the Steven blind-box minis today. I regret nothing.
SUmini01.jpg SUmini02.jpg

And then things got silly...
SUDWminifight.jpg
"It's Pocket Universe vs. Tiny Dynasty! Which mini team will reign supreme?!?"

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Let me know when you find a Ranger Guy. I got like a billion Normal Guys to get rid of.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Let me know when you find a Ranger Guy. I got like a billion Normal Guys to get rid of.
I think you mean Dave Guy. We've got at least one already. ;)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...supposed to be June freakin' 30th but whatever.

I heard it goes into August, so theoretically we could get 15 episodes! One...wonders why they can't air them in a NORMAL fashion but here we are.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Marty is the fucking worst.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He is pretty terrible.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I mean, a TEN MILLION DOLLAR CHECK?! How much squandering did he DO with Greg's music for his lawyers to make him carry that check? Apparently enough that he'd have to resort to marketing a terrible avocado soda.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Apparently he made a killing with Greg's music, but now he's had to pony up. I'm curious if it'll get pissed away somehow to maintain the status quo or if anything will change from it.

Nice to see Steven's gem strength coming in.

I can't believe we've got new episodes every weekday for over a month. It's going to be crazy keeping up.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Apparently he made a killing with Greg's music, but now he's had to pony up. I'm curious if it'll get pissed away somehow to maintain the status quo or if anything will change from it.

Nice to see Steven's gem strength coming in.

I can't believe we've got new episodes every weekday for over a month. It's going to be crazy keeping up.
I would imagine most of it gets pissed away, but I'd be glad if Greg didn't have to live in a fucking van anymore. So I'm sure we get a cautionary tale, but I wouldn't be surprised if this affects stuff a little.

I'm wondering if that throw away line about the "deed to my uncle's house" ever comes up again now.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Riches or no riches, Greg will ALWAYS live in a van. Its in his nature.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I like how they threw in a Zoolander quote. Marty would fit in with that world.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Jeeeeesus.

Don't get me wrong--I'm glad Steven took that elephant in the room outside and shot it, but that was rough.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

After years of TRYING to make things work, Pearl really did owe this to Greg. Glad to see Guitar Dad and Bird Mom getting along.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm also glad she acknowledged that this shouldn't have been going on so long, but I think it was talked about on here that in gem time, it's as if Rose just died recently.

I was thinking about all Rose would've had to do to have Steven being a half-human. Shape-shifting all the necessary organics, down to a cellular level, out of whatever hard light the gems' bodies form from, and then that combining on a permanent basis to form Steven's DNA, his chromosomes, and her having to stay shapeshifted like that for the months it took Steven to form (or hell, considering how his body functions, it could've been longer than usual) ... thinking about the details of all that really drives home Garnet's comment in season 1 that there's never been anything like Steven before.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This fuckin' NEEDED to happen and Steven was a smart well-meaning manipulator-ESPECIALLY-since he's clearly no dummy about Pearl's feelings towards Rose.

PLUS-I'd say an expensive site in New York is WAY more effective therapy than...well ACTUAL therapy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This fuckin' NEEDED to happen and Steven was a smart well-meaning manipulator-ESPECIALLY-since he's clearly no dummy about Pearl's feelings towards Rose.

PLUS-I'd say an expensive site in New York is WAY more effective therapy than...well ACTUAL therapy.
Pearl saying they could've done this at home is wrong. There were too many memories there; they needed to go somewhere else.

That said, they did not spend $10 million on a single night, so the show better not pull that shit.

Steven: "You could buy a house."
Greg, fucking listen to your son. He's smarter than you.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Pearl saying they could've done this at home is wrong. There were too many memories there; they needed to go somewhere else.

That said, they did not spend $10 million on a single night, so the show better not pull that shit.

Steven: "You could buy a house."
Greg, fucking listen to your son. He's smarter than you.
I don't think he does, I'm betting he'll have his fortune until the end of the season.

And he don't need no house, HE GOT A VAN! And also a privately run business with an office inside that he can just put a bed in, but he likes van sleep!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Too Short to Ride

OKAY *CLAP* this is now my favorite stand-alone, and I will be re watching it at least 3 times.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, this is a good one. Probably the best in a while, which is odd because there hasn't been a bad episode in ages.

Thought: So modern Gems aren't made with powers? I think we can trust Peridot when she says that much (or that at least that's what she was told). And yet Peridot developed some while on Earth? Not just a power, but a power we haven't seen another Gem use. This makes me think of two things...

- The Diamonds are lying and all modern Gems DO have powers, but never learn to use them because they rely on technology instead. This is done intentionally to prevent another uprising.
OR
- There is something on Earth that lets Gems become more than they are (Maybe humans play a role in this?) and THIS is what Rose wanted to protect. Maybe she saw the future of Gems on Earth and that's why she was willing to sacrifice herself to make Steven.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am SUPER mixed on which of those theories I like more. One makes me hope for Peridot to start an uprising with all her Peridot sisters, while the other makes Earth even MORE special than it looks and puts some SLIGHT suspicion on Rose.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

- There is something on Earth that lets Gems become more than they are (Maybe humans play a role in this?) and THIS is what Rose wanted to protect. Maybe she saw the future of Gems on Earth and that's why she was willing to sacrifice herself to make Steven.
There'd be no need for that if they just let the gems eat up Earth, then go to another world and eat that up.

I'd have to dig through my Tumblr archives to find it, but there's a length essay, with notes of episodes to back it up, that because of the orderly nature of Homeworld, with gem qualities largely decided by their make, Rose became attached to the biological diversity of Earth, something she apparently hadn't encountered before and felt was precious and needed protecting.

Your first theory sounds more accurate--either the Diamonds believed the newer gems were inferior because they displayed no evident powers, or they told them so.

chris

chris

Watched some promos for upcoming episodes. Now I wish I can unwatch them and enjoy the episodes without knowing what to come.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Watched some promos for upcoming episodes. Now I wish I can unwatch them and enjoy the episodes without knowing what to come.
I wanna say I agree...but one of them is really gonna tide me over until next week.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well *CLAP* that was...insanely predictable.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well *CLAP* that was...insanely predictable.
Maybe, but I enjoyed the fact that basically no one but Sadie was apologetic at all for liking Steven!Lars more than Lars.

"Wait, so I acted weird all day... and you all liked it?!"

Yes, Lars. Yes. Because you're an asshole and treat people like shit. You KNOW that you're an asshole and treat people like shit. Why are you surprised?

Really, if I found ANYTHING surprising this episode, it's the fact that Lars has seemingly forgiven Sadie for trapping him on an island for weeks. WHY has no one called her out on that?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Heh, yeah he is a prick, HOPE-fully this will at least be the START of development for Lars.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Heh, yeah he is a prick, HOPE-fully this will at least be the START of development for Lars.
Or more likely he vanishes for another chunk of episodes.

I purposely haven't watched any promos, but largely because people warned me they were somewhat spoilery. We've got weeks of episodes ahead, no need to rush it. If anything, they're coming too fast for Tumblr to properly dissect each one and turn every scene into reaction gifs. I need Peridot saying "Why would anyone document this?" but the whole machine is overwhelmed.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Tonight on Steven Universe, the only time CG should be used in a 2D animated cartoon-DRIFT RACING!

ALSO
Kevin is a sad strange little man, and he has my pity.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He's a creep.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The creepiest...and most definitely has an obsession with Stevonnie now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Time for another crrrrazy week, where everyone's glad we're not polluting their precious animation thread!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Time for another crrrrazy week, where everyone's glad we're not polluting their precious animation thread!
To be fair, it's not like we won't read it, but it does help other things not to get inevitably lost :p

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oooooooooooooooooooooh, poor Ronaldo.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Jane is real!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Why did I think her boyfriend would be some random guy and not a recurring character, that makes WAY more sense!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Most shows I don't care for filler episodes, but after so much stuff going on, it's nice to be back to hijinks in Beach City.

... temporarily. The Steven Universe crew is urging people not to go seeking leaks and spoilers for weeks 3 and 4, which suggests something big.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Honestly, this is one of the shows I avoid spoilers because I like to be surprised, the exception being the early-released episodes from France.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honestly, this is one of the shows I avoid spoilers because I like to be surprised, the exception being the early-released episodes from France.
It's also about avoiding people who don't give a shit. :/

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Most shows I don't care for filler episodes, but after so much stuff going on, it's nice to be back to hijinks in Beach City.

... temporarily. The Steven Universe crew is urging people not to go seeking leaks and spoilers for weeks 3 and 4, which suggests something big.
There are no filler episodes in Steven Universe. The show has two parallel stories:

- Steven the Kid, dealing with the lives of his friends, family, and neighbors in Beach City.
and
- Steven the Gem, dealing with his attempts to protect the world from Homeworld and Gem monsters.

... and some episodes that you think are about one side are really about the other. Mr. Greg features Pearl, but is about Steven trying to essentially get two estranged family members to talk to each other. Laser Light Cannon is about Steven and Greg trying to find a weapon to stop the Red Eye, but it's REALLY about Steven learning about how Greg felt about Rose. So really, there aren't any filler episodes because every episode is essential to the development of Steven as a character.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There are no filler episodes in Steven Universe. The show has two parallel stories:

- Steven the Kid, dealing with the lives of his friends, family, and neighbors in Beach City.
and
- Steven the Gem, dealing with his attempts to protect the world from Homeworld and Gem monsters.

... and some episodes that you think are about one side are really about the other. Mr. Greg features Pearl, but is about Steven trying to essentially get two estranged family members to talk to each other. Laser Light Cannon is about Steven and Greg trying to find a weapon to stop the Red Eye, but it's REALLY about Steven learning about how Greg felt about Rose. So really, there aren't any filler episodes because every episode is essential to the development of Steven as a character.
You know what I meant. This isn't part of the season's plot.

Also, Uncle Grandpa crossover.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You know what I meant. This isn't part of the season's plot.

Also, Uncle Grandpa crossover.
Ehh... is a cross over really a filler episode? It's not canon. That makes it more of a special than filler.

Aren't we supposed to be getting an Adventure Time and Steven Universe crossover at some point?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ehh... is a cross over really a filler episode? It's not canon. That makes it more of a special than filler.
It sure felt like filler ifyouknowwhatImean :awesome:.

Aren't we supposed to be getting an Adventure Time and Steven Universe crossover at some point?
I'm guessing Adventure Time crosses dimensions again. But before or after Adventure Time reboots?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I enlarged this because-WHAT?! FUCK YES!

Celt Z

Celt Z

I don't have access to it at the moment, but I remember there was something in the Uncle Grandpa crossover that was new and canonical Steven Universe information at the time. I had to catch it the second time around because the first time I just skipped over it after 5 minutes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

DAMMIT-why did this episode air BEFORE I had dinner.

evilmike

evilmike

DAMMIT-why did this episode air BEFORE I had dinner.
Careful... that's how Lloyd Bridges got started.

evilmike

evilmike

Careful... that's how Lloyd Bridges got started.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oooooooooooh I get it...ya took a tiny leap there, but I get it!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

*BREATHES IN* CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENTIPEETLE! FUCK YES!

ALSO-should we now assume that Gems of similar types corrupt in the same way? AND WHO WAS HER COMMANDER?! FOR EVERY ANSWER TWO MORE QUESTIONS!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

*BREATHES IN* CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENTIPEETLE! FUCK YES!

ALSO-should we now assume that Gems of similar types corrupt in the same way? AND WHO WAS HER COMMANDER?! FOR EVERY ANSWER TWO MORE QUESTIONS!
My assumption would be Yellow Diamond or her representative, both by her being the only Yellow figure in the drawings and by the symbol of the Diamond Authority (sans the Pink Diamond found on earlier works). That also leads to the obvious: the war ended when the Diamonds scourged the warzone with that light and failed to penetrate Rose Quartz's shield (most likely protecting just her, Pearl, and Garnet). Unable to defeat the Rebellion with even their greatest weapon, they chose to leave rather than sacrifice more Gems (as they were probably running low on resources even then). If this correct, then it also confirms the "Rose is Pink Diamond" theory, as it's likely only a Diamond could protect themselves from the power of another Diamond.

All in all, we learned a lot from this week's episode.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Agreed on most fronts, ALTHOUGH I'm not sure that was Yellow Diamond for two reasons: ONE-she used an orange crayon. Steven had a whole box with him, she could've used yellow. TWO-the little rectangle on her chest, I think that was her Gem.

ALSO-does Steven activating the ship's door mean anything? I feel like it does.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

ALSO-does Steven activating the ship's door mean anything? I feel like it does.
Centipeedle did look at him funny when he managed to do it. It's ether something that only works for Gems or something that only works of Gems of a sufficient rank/purity. Which would make sense: if Rose was a big mucky muck, Steven would have her rank too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't know if it's vision difference, but I'm with Ash--the figure looked yellow to me. My wife verifies. Might want to check your TV/comp's color hue, Yoshi.

I know a lot of severe stuff went on in this episode and seeing Centipeedle struggle was heartbreaking, but I can't get over:

Steven: "Look what I can do!" *smash plate*

I can't think of it without laughing.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Might be, I saw orange but might be. I'm also wondering about the rectangle on her chest, could that be her Gem? Hell wer'e getting you-know-who in a few weeks or so, maybe she'll show up as well!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't know who, because I've avoided spoilers, so please keep it under your hat until after the episode airs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I've had a few things spoiled for me in the coming weeks. I'm not especially upset, but others might be.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Some of those spoilers were keeping me sane.

Edit: Well...sane by MY standards anyway.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Tonight we learn Lapis can't apologize for shit!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Tonight we learn Lapis can't apologize for shit!
Tonight, on Steven Universe... we learn that sometimes the source of a relationship problem isn't the one you think it is.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Its a weirdly realistic abusive relationship, both contributed to the toxicity of it and both are victims. Jasper was trapped in that form but loved the power that came from it, getting a warped belief in what fusion is. Lapis took out EVERYTHING on Jasper, trapping her forever in a state of fusion hell, and as much as she hated it herself she even began to miss Jasper.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They need fusion counseling, and we know just the fusion counselor.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They need fusion counseling, and we know just the fusion counselor.
Yup...THE RUBY SQUAD! They seem to work together well!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yup...THE RUBY SQUAD! They seem to work together well!
Perhaps a counselor with experience at non-traditional fusion?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Perhaps a counselor with experience at non-traditional fusion?
Stevonnie!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think the amazing thing about the whole episode is it actually seems like Jasper could still redeem herself from this. And if she doesn't, I don't see how the show could keep it's theme.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think the amazing thing about the whole episode is it actually seems like Jasper could still redeem herself from this. And if she doesn't, I don't see how the show could keep it's theme.
She better, what with all the promotional art she's in with Lapis and the CGs.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm not going to share the dumb shit I read on Tumblr today about yesterday's episode, but trust me that it's really fucking stupid.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm not going to share the dumb shit I read on Tumblr today about yesterday's episode, but trust me that it's really fucking stupid.
Yeah its...its been a doozy.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Really, it's been generally awful since Rebecca Sugar came out as bisexual at ComicCon, but toss abusive relationships into the mix? OH boy.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I was honestly not aware she wasn't out already, and the episode highlighted that there are all kinds of unhealthy relationships, so isn't this the kind of thing Tumblr usually champions?

Tumblr and it's habits are something I'm peripherally aware of, but I don't actually wade into it myself, so I could be wrong.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was honestly not aware she wasn't out already, and the episode highlighted that there are all kinds of unhealthy relationships, so isn't this the kind of thing Tumblr usually champions?

Tumblr and it's habits are something I'm peripherally aware of, but I don't actually wade into it myself, so I could be wrong.
That's funny; I'd always just assumed she was too.

As for Tumblr, they're not getting after Lapis and Jasper. They're attacking Steven for not giving Jasper a chance, that he never gives anyone a chance, and puts anyone he likes on a pedestal. You know, because it's been long enough ago for these knuckleheads to completely forget Peridot wasn't always the adorable freak who lived in a barn.[DOUBLEPOST=1469832688,1469832604][/DOUBLEPOST]Argh, you guys got me into it!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

WELL *CLAP* baby Sour Cream is hilarious. Brian Posehn's voice + Baby body = Comedy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This felt relevant for tonight's episode--compiled version so far of Love Like You.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I believe that the day we get the final part of that song is the day Greg talks to Steven about why Rose and him decided to have him... it's clear that after this episode that part of the reason why Rose wanted to have Steven was to create a Gem that was free of the system that would dictate everything he did from the moment he was born and thus could grow into a truer, more well developed person, but what we don't know is WHY she came to believe this was necessary.

Unfortunately, it feels like the only way we could get the full details on that is by ether having the crew making a full disconnected, Rose focused episode about her time before Earth or by having Steven relive it via her Gem (which raises the whole 'Rose is still around' problem that I REALLY hope never comes up). Is this what the upcoming half hour special is going to be though...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wonder if Peridot gave us a hint when she said they don't make gems like they used to.

Celt Z

Celt Z

... but what we don't know is WHY she came to believe this was necessary.
Unfortunately, it feels like the only way we could get the full details on that is by ether having the crew making a full disconnected, Rose focused episode about her time before Earth or by having Steven relive it via her Gem ...
I don't see why they'd have to do it that way. This feels like something she would have discussed with the Gems, or at least, Greg. They've all been in the habit of revealing information when they think Steven can handle it (or waiting until he outright asks). And knowing Steven, it may never occurred to him to ask why he exists.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't know too many people who ask their parents why they had kids.

"So why'd you make me?"
"We were really drunk."

Really I think Rose wanted to experience what all life on Earth does, in the only way a gem possibly could. She might not have even known this was going to work until the human part and gem part began to grow together inside her shapeshifted womb (if that theory is correct--we may never know). She would've had to deeply study human anatomy to make everything just right, but even human and human pairings aren't a sure thing.

Part of me wonders if she knew from the beginning that she and Steven couldn't co-exist, or if it was something she only realized later upon discovery that her gem was attached to him, and chose him over herself.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

WELP-Jasper is going monster hunting in her...insane state of mind.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm guessing those were gems Rose knew? Jasper might want to fuse with them or something. I don't know.

Connie has issues.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think they were Quartz types, possibly Ocean Jasper and Crazy Lace Agate. I'm hoping she tries to train them to fuse into a SUPER corrupted Gem, and yes that would mean their psyches would be really messed up during but...IT'D JUST LOOK SO COOL!

And damn straight she does, girl's fucking 12 and all ready talking humanity's demise. Goin' straight up Lisa Simpson there.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think they were Quartz types, possibly Ocean Jasper and Crazy Lace Agate. I'm hoping she tries to train them to fuse into a SUPER corrupted Gem, and yes that would mean their psyches would be really messed up during but...IT'D JUST LOOK SO COOL!
But can you fuse with a Gem without their consent? The Gems always insisted you had to be in-sync, but the first fusion of Ruby and Sapphire might make that debatable. And if she finds a way, does this mean she'd go after the cluster? Because that would be bad. Like, Egon's Twinkie-bad.

Connie has manuals.
:D

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

But can you fuse with a Gem without their consent? The Gems always insisted you had to be in-sync, but the first fusion of Ruby and Sapphire might make that debatable. And if she finds a way, does this mean she'd go after the cluster? Because that would be bad. Like, Egon's Twinkie-bad.
I've honestly been thinking she'd go that route for QUITE a while, like fall to the center of the Earth, try to fuse with the cluster...and then get ejected out and cry. Well...probably not cry, she's an old school quartz!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm guessing the eventual path of this is that Jasper is going to get semi-corrupted somehow and Steven ends up saving her... I don't know if she'd join the team (Lapis would have something to say about that) but I could see her going all Protoman and showing up when she's needed.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm guessing the eventual path of this is that Jasper is going to get semi-corrupted somehow and Steven ends up saving her... I don't know if she'd join the team (Lapis would have something to say about that) but I could see her going all Protoman and showing up when she's needed.
I'm hoping she becomes either this show's Vegeta or Piccolo myself, but I'm cool with whatever. EITHER WAY-she's probably gonna become an ally what with all the promo material she's in.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

When Jasper vanished into the storm laughing, my wife immediately said, "Okay, bye-bye, Vegeta." :p

Celt Z

Celt Z

That. Was. AWESOME!!!

While my heart is kinda breaking for Amethyst, watching Stevonnie and Lion take on Jasper was GREAT!

(And sorry, Sadie! But Steven and Connie paid for everything.)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

(And sorry, Sadie! But Steven and Connie paid for everything.)
Part of me wanders if Amethyst isn't aware she can't change color. ALSO-once again she didn't bubble a Gem, something's going on there.

Celt Z

Celt Z

ALSO-once again she didn't bubble a Gem, something's going on there.
She seemed concerned that there were two of them. I'm not sure, from her reaction, if she's worried about two monsters, or she recognizes the gems.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

She seemed concerned that there were two of them. I'm not sure, from her reaction, if she's worried about two monsters, or she recognizes the gems.
I'm betting she was worried about two monsters, since she heard Jasper caught both of them.

And yes that fight kicked ASS!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I know Connie and Steven were giving Amethyst credit for their ability to get into the fight, but it should be noted that it's through Pearl that they knew what to do once they got there. It took a lot of training from one and a little pep talk from the other.

I guess Jasper's goal here is the same as when she got to Earth, to defeat Rose Quartz. I'm pretty sure if Rose was still around, Jasper would've been entirely outmatched. I'm not surprised she doesn't find it weird Steven could fuse with a human; she hasn't learned how different humans are from gems.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Best.Pity Party. EVER! AND HOLY SHIT-he can make spikes now? THAT FUCKING RULES!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Best.Pity Party. EVER! AND HOLY SHIT-he can make spikes now? THAT FUCKING RULES!
Definitely the "whoa" moment of the episode.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I would call them thorns, since they seem to fit with the Rose Quartz theme. But yeah, that was a surprise.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I would call them thorns, since they seem to fit with the Rose Quartz theme. But yeah, that was a surprise.
And they work great as a combo attack with Amethyst: she can swing him around like a flail.

If anything, we've learned how TOUGH Steven actually is. Amethyst yanked him down into solid stone from at least 30-40 feet in the air and he walked it off. If that had been Greg or Connie, they'd have broken something at the very least.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And they work great as a combo attack with Amethyst: she can swing him around like a flail.

If anything, we've learned how TOUGH Steven actually is. Amethyst yanked him down into solid stone from at least 30-40 feet in the air and he walked it off. If that had been Greg or Connie, they'd have broken something at the very least.
With that, SHOULD they point out his super strength by now? I mean, is it just accepted?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

With that, SHOULD they point out his super strength by now? I mean, is it just accepted?
Show, don't tell :p. Not only did he survive that with just scratches, he hurled a giant block of stone without even realizing it. So now we know. The question is, did Steven notice?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Show, don't tell :p. Not only did he survive that with just scratches, he hurled a giant block of stone without even realizing it. So now we know. The question is, did Steven notice?
Pretty much my only reason for questioning the matter.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For a show FULL of tense episodes, that's easily the tense it's ever been. Lots of stuff to talk about too, including the confirmation of a few things with Rose. The fans are gonna be NUTS this weekend.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

WELL-I kinda hate Rose now. Granted Bizmuth was wrong arguably, but holy SHIT to lie about what happened to her? One of the ORIGINAL Crystal Gems?! That's...that's just cruel.

EDIT: ALSO-keep a third eye open tomorrow, the next episode airs in Canada but not the states...because CN is run by crazy people.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

WELL-I kinda hate Rose now. Granted Bizmuth was wrong arguably, but holy SHIT to lie about what happened to her? One of the ORIGINAL Crystal Gems?! That's...that's just cruel.
I get why she did it; if the lives of her soldiers were worth saving, so were the lives of their enemies. And Bismuth would have just taken her pilebunker and waged a one man war if she had to. But yeah, this really just confirms that Rose isn't the walking saint that everyone claims she was. She was willing to protect the lives of her enemies, but she wasn't willing to even tell her friends that she locked Bismuth up.

What if she's not the only one? That's chilling because there's a very real chance that the others will never be found.

I did find it interesting that Rose was made on Earth though. A rank and file soldier... and yet her shield could withstand the assault of a Diamond. Yeah, there is something on Earth that makes Gems powerful and she's hide it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I get why she did it; if the lives of her soldiers were worth saving, so were the lives of their enemies. And Bismuth would have just taken her pilebunker and waged a one man war if she had to. But yeah, this really just confirms that Rose isn't the walking saint that everyone claims she was. She was willing to protect the lives of her enemies, but she wasn't willing to even tell her friends that she locked Bismuth up.

What if she's not the only one? That's chilling because there's a very real chance that the others will never be found.

I did find it interesting that Rose was made on Earth though. A rank and file soldier... and yet her shield could withstand the assault of a Diamond. Yeah, there is something on Earth that makes Gems powerful and she's hide it.
Worst part about her secret-having is that her soldiers saw this as a PLUS, when we finally see....yeah there's a negative.

They were willing to leave Peridot bubbled in the Burning room FOREVER, there's a high chance there are a lot of uncorrupted Gems in there.

Either that or...she's not JUST a quartz. Either she's Pink Diamond, or a super Quartz, because COME ON!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Rose is complicated, and certainly not a saint, but I can also see this another way: Bismuth took things to a level that Rose never wanted it to go. Bismuth, it seems, became an unforgiving zealot, and there's no coming back from a shattered gem. Bismuth said that Rose preached even Gems could forge their own destiny, and a lot of the Gems who fought for Homeworld were only doing so because they thought there was no other choice. If they shattered those Gems, there'd be no hope for them to learn otherwise. I think she knew how well-liked Bismuth was, and she didn't want the others to know Bismuth was willing and ready to commit genocide. It was both terrible not to tell the truth, and at the same time, a chance for Bismuth to start over with a clean slate, which Rose felt every Gem deserved.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm not sure Bismuth meant on Earth. She said "right here in the dirt" but I'm not sure if that was generalizing. The kindergarten seemed like a fresh thing.

Either that or...she's not JUST a quartz. Either she's Pink Diamond, or a super Quartz, because COME ON!
Well, Bismuth said Rose lies. And Garnet has pointed out in the past that Rose keeps secrets. So if Ash is right that Bismuth meant Rose was formed on Earth, that doesn't mean Bismuth knew the truth.

What's unfortunate is that Bismuth misunderstood the situation. The rebellion was winning, without that weapon. That's why the diamonds sent the corruption wave.

Anyway, end of the episode ... poor Steven.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Something else about what Bismuth said... if Rose was made "right here in the dirt", then are some gems not made through kindergartens? Is THAT why the Diamonds are so much stronger and greater than other Gems, because they were made artificially or something?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I know many think that Rose is Pink Diamond, but my theory is that Rose was actually the "daughter" of Pink Diamond, maybe even the first Gem born on Earth after Pink Diamond began colonizing it thousands of years ago. Due to the properties of Earth, Rose was born more free spirited then most other Gems. It's likely all Earth-born Gems carried this trait (look at Amethyst), but being the first, she held favoritism and privilege, which would explain why she had so many gardens and secret places of her own, and likely lived a mostly care-free life for the first part of the colonization.

At some point, Rose's outlook influenced the mindset of Pink Diamond herself, who returned to Homeworld to inform the other Diamonds that she was going to end the Earth Colony to preserve the planet, as there was something greater about it that they had yet to explore. Considering they wanted it to be a mass produced Kindergarten Colony, the other Diamonds disagreed, and shattered (or maybe imprisoned) Pink Diamond, removing her from the Authority and sending Blue Diamond to finish the conversion. When Rose learned of what happened, she started the rebellion to save Earth and avenge her "mother", with Pearl attaching to her due to the loss of her Diamond. All the other earth-born Gems joined with her, as they held the same connection to the planet that she had, plus any converts (like Bismuth, and later Garnet).

I mean, it makes more sense to me, since Rose isn't a diamond (not the shape or quality), but is obviously not a "run of the mill" Gem either, she is the only Quartz (aka warrior) that has a shield rather then a regular weapon, Bismuth has to make her a weapon for her to fight in the Rebellion. I have a feeling she was actually the first (and only) of her kind, all due to her birth thousands of years ago when the planet was young and unspoiled.

chris

chris

I wonder what Roses purpose was in the first place.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Maybe she had no purpose, that might be why she became such a catalyst for change among other gems, even ones originally from off-world.

Gems: "We are all born for a function. It's how it has always been."

Rose: "Not me. I have no born purpose, I get to choose how I live!"

Gems: "WAaaaaahhhhh!?"

Honestly, many see Rose as this saintly, enigmatic character of great power with motherly traits, but the more we get to know her, she seems more like a big space hippy. Before she met Greg, it's implied she had many "loves" over the years, Pearl even commenting on it. She seems to care more about her own entertainment and enjoyment, even the humans she seems to cherish more like pets then equals in her eyes, at least till Greg came along and actually challenged her perceptions. Hell, in Greg the Babysitter we learn she didn't even know that a baby was just a newly born human, she thought they were a whole other species, and this was in modern times, so it's not like she hasn't be around to already figure this out. She likely just didn't care since learning such info didn't bring her any pleasure till Greg came around and she became infatuated with him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hell, in Greg the Babysitter we learn she didn't even know that a baby was just a newly born human, she thought they were a whole other species, and this was in modern times, so it's not like she hasn't be around to already figure this out.
She knew Greg and baby Sour Cream were the same species; she said it took her a long time to figure it out.

After thinking about it more, I feel like us Rose Quartz = Pink Diamond people are reaching. The show isn't much for red herrings, so Rose probably is just another quartz, probably was made on Earth.

Also:

This is nothing new for Bismuth.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm guessing her healing powers made her important,or was her purpose, since no one else seems to have them. (Rose quartzes are associated with healing, for people into gem stuff irl.)[DOUBLEPOST=1470440640,1470440520][/DOUBLEPOST]
I mentioned this a week ago to Mr. Z, but it would seem last night confirmed it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

CURSE YOU CANADIAN WATCHERS-why can't you be cool like the French?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Trying to find an upload. Not having much luck ... yet.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Trying to find an upload. Not having much luck ... yet.
Same. I'ma keep trolling the torrent sites.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also in case anyone but me tried it, changing your proxy to watch on the Canadian CN website won't work.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

BOOTLEG! Massive Shakey cam, but still much obliged Canadian SU fan! Those of us who have suffered because of the fucking olympics, the most destructive sporting event of all time, thank you!

Also is Dailymotion's site crap for everyone else, or just me? I forget how to watch DM vids not on DM.

Celt Z

Celt Z

BOOTLEG! Massive Shakey cam, but still much obliged Canadian SU fan! Those of us who have suffered because of the fucking olympics, the most destructive sporting event of all time, thank you!

Also is Dailymotion's site crap for everyone else, or just me? I forget how to watch DM vids not on DM.
It keeps blacking out around 5:24 and I can't get visual again. :( (But thanks anyway, Yoshi.)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It keeps blacking out around 5:24 and I can't get visual again. :( (But thanks anyway, Yoshi.)
I shall with-hold spoilers until it works for you. Worked for me, try clearing it out!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Wait, I got the second half to work!

...really?! That's where you stop?!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wait, I got the second half to work!

...really?! That's where you stop?!
Yeah, I wanted to blame the Olympics, but now I think its because its a two parter....nah I'll still blame the Olympics. EITHER WAY-hell of a cliff hanger in retrospect!

EITHER WAY-Lapis and Peridot are my favorite room-mates ever.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

PEEK SNEAK-

SO-Jasper thinks...Earth caused the corruption. I believe she is going to get a very importan conversation with the CGs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Can we get ONE episode this StevenBomb that DOESN'T make me want to go "HOLY SHIT" every 5 seconds?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

WELP *CLAP* I'm crying for Jasper, don't know about y'all.[DOUBLEPOST=1470698900,1470698865][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can we get ONE episode this StevenBomb that DOESN'T make me want to go "HOLY SHIT" every 5 seconds?
NEVER!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Smoky Quartz!!!! And that does explain two major plot theories: whether you can force fusion and who Rose is/isn't.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Smoky Quartz!!!! And that does explain two major plot theories: whether you can force fusion and who Rose is/isn't.
And considering fusion is a stand-in for... physical things, that means Jasper was willing to force another being into that sort of situation. And basically caught an STD doing it. That's... kind of fucked up.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It looks like you both could, and couldn't, I think Jasper and the monster were both feeling really scared and created a fusion based on that fear...and admittedly it looked awesome, like a Virus type Digimon!

And as for who Rose is...at this point I really hope she's not Pink Diamond...because that would mean she betrayed her OWN forces, forces that LOVED her.

Also the timeline might not add up.[DOUBLEPOST=1470699336,1470699245][/DOUBLEPOST]
And considering fusion is a stand-in for... physical things, that means Jasper was willing to force another being into that sort of situation. And basically caught an STD doing it. That's... kind of fucked up.
That's SU for ya! Seriously though, it pisses me off that the Corruption forms are bad, they just look so COOL!

Celt Z

Celt Z

In a way, the corruption is like Gem HIV/AIDS, which is all kinds of terrible.

And as for who Rose is...at this point I really hope she's not Pink Diamond...because that would mean she betrayed her OWN forces, forces that LOVED her.
I'm sure we'll find out soon, but it does seem that Jasper doesn't actually know everything that went on, considering she's confused how the Corruptions came to be.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

In a way, the corruption is like Gem HIV/AIDS, which is all kinds of terrible.
Which makes it even WORSE, because it plays into that whole "the Government caused the AIDS Epidemic" conspiracy theory that plagued the gay community for so long, what with the Diamonds being the cause of the corruption.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Which makes it even WORSE, because it plays into that whole "the Government caused the AIDS Epidemic" conspiracy theory that plagued the gay community for so long, what with the Diamonds being the cause of the corruption.
Yeah, that was what I was referring to when I posted, although in this case there's no doubt it was caused by the Diamonds.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Was it Ash who called Jasper getting corrupted in the future? I can't remember. But it sure did happen.

This episode confirms Rose Quartz and Pink Diamond are two different individuals; they pretty much eliminated all room for doubt. Jasper wouldn't be wanting to finish Rose Quartz for doing something to Rose Quartz--she specifically said what Rose did to "my Diamond" and when Steven mistook that for Yellow, she said "My diamond! Her diamond! Pink! Diamond!" So Rose was also a follower of Pink Diamond and turned on her. We were wrong.

That said, it seems Rose did betray her fellow followers of Pink Diamond, at least those who didn't join in the rebellion. This also presents us with the scale of the rebellion, that a new kindergarten was needed, that a Diamond was lost.

But let's not focus on only sad things! Steven's little speech to Amethyst was great because yeah, she's nothing like Jasper, and considering Jasper's personality, shouldn't want to be. And then they fucking fused! I was hoping they would, but didn't think it would happen, and it was wonderful. Excellent episode all around.

And now, little dumb Ruby antics :D.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Was it Ash who called Jasper getting corrupted in the future? I can't remember. But it sure did happen.
There's a marathon coming up called "Jasper's Corruption" you might've seen that somewhere.

This episode confirms Rose Quartz and Pink Diamond are two different individuals; they pretty much eliminated all room for doubt. Jasper wouldn't be wanting to finish Rose Quartz for doing something to Rose Quartz--she specifically said what Rose did to "my Diamond" and when Steven mistook that for Yellow, she said "My diamond! Her diamond! Pink! Diamond!" So Rose was also a follower of Pink Diamond and turned on her. We were wrong.
I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if Pink staged her death, it feels like a classic Rose Quartz lie...liar. EITHER THAT-or Pink isn't dead and everything Rose did was all part of her plan.

That said, it seems Rose did betray her fellow followers of Pink Diamond, at least those who didn't join in the rebellion. This also presents us with the scale of the rebellion, that a new kindergarten was needed, that a Diamond was lost.
I think that Kindergarten was made before Pink Diamond was lost, given that's where Jasper was and she clearly had memories of her.

But let's not focus on only sad things! Steven's little speech to Amethyst was great because yeah, she's nothing like Jasper, and considering Jasper's personality, shouldn't want to be. And then they fucking fused! I was hoping they would, but didn't think it would happen, and it was wonderful. Excellent episode all around.

And now, little dumb Ruby antics :D.
Agree to both! RUBY FORCE ASSEMBLE!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There's a marathon coming up called "Jasper's Corruption" you might've seen that somewhere.
Nope, I don't look at stuff ahead of time. Self control FTW.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if Pink staged her death, it feels like a classic Rose Quartz lie...liar. EITHER THAT-or Pink isn't dead and everything Rose did was all part of her plan.
Which doesn't sound too different from the stuff I was coming up with last week, but again after thinking about it, the show doesn't do red herrings; it gives hints and then reveals. Stuff like this and what I said last week is just fanwanking; the show's pretty straightforward.

I think that Kindergarten was made before Pink Diamond was lost, given that's where Jasper was and she clearly had memories of her.
Correct. Rebellion, kindergarten, a Diamond is lost.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm kinda hoping for a red herring though myself. I'm okay either way...especially if it turns out Rose ISN'T a traitor to the people made for her and just a normal rebel.

BErt

...I'm gonna put stuff here later, but I was way behind and just had to watch like the last 20 episodes in a row and - holy pants - I can't cohesively say anything right now. But I will, I promise...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...I'm gonna put stuff here later, but I was way behind and just had to watch like the last 20 episodes in a row and - holy pants - I can't cohesively say anything right now. But I will, I promise...
*GASP*-YOU WATCHED THAT MUCH SU IN A ROW FOR THE FIRST TIME?! Dear lord...the fact that the emotional centers of your brain isn't jelly right now is amazing.

BErt

*GASP*-YOU WATCHED THAT MUCH SU IN A ROW FOR THE FIRST TIME?! Dear lord...the fact that the emotional centers of your brain isn't jelly right now is amazing.
nooo...it is. and that's why i need time. I need to just sit down for a minute.

EDIT. I'm Jelly; You Jelly :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm kinda hoping for a red herring though myself. I'm okay either way...especially if it turns out Rose ISN'T a traitor to the people made for her and just a normal rebel.
Well ... how can that be? The gems were a whole unit, the Diamonds in union, so rebelling is being a traitor.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well ... how can that be? The gems were a whole unit, the Diamonds in union, so rebelling is being a traitor.
Its the lesser of two horrible things, one is just one lone traitor who by the bulk of Homeworld's beliefs lost her place, the other is their beloved leader straight up betraying them.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It definitely confirms that Pink Diamond and Rose are two different people, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that Rose was the one that betrayed Pink Diamond.

All we know is that Jasper blames Rose for whatever happened to Pink Diamond, but that could be anything from Rose herself physically shattering Pink Diamond, to my past theory that Rose turned Pink Diamond to her cause as a protector of Earth, thus causing her to be destroyed by the Diamond Authority. Jasper can blame her for the loss of Pink Diamond in either of those scenarios, since it would have been the actions of Rose that ended in Pink Diamond's death, whether explicitly or a side effect.

I am still leaning on the latter scenario, because...

A) Quartz seem to be born to fight for their Diamond from the minute they pop out of the ground. Jasper likely was imprinted that she belonged to Pink Diamond, and all it would take is other gems under the Diamond Authority to point towards Rose and say, "Those rebels killed your Diamond!" and she would be all over it. I mean who should she trust? The group that helped birth her and followed other Diamonds like Pink Diamond? Or a rebel fighting the Diamonds? There is nothing outwardly saying she ever met Pink Diamond.

B) The Diamond Authority completely removed Pink Diamond from their insignia. I know they are presented as general evil and self-absorbed, but if they cared about Pink Diamond so much, they likely would have never removed her from the insignia. The fact they did shows a noticeable intention of forgetting she ever existed, which seems odd if she was a martyr for the Authority.

C) At the time Sapphire and Ruby first form into Garnet, they went to Earth to inform BLUE Diamond about the future of the "small, persistent group of rebels". This isn't presented as the middle of some huge war, but instead a very small group causing trouble and not even fully affecting all day to day issues, AKA the start of the rebellion. It would be much later after Rose turned more and more to her side that the biggest parts of the war happened, and thus the need for the Diamond Authority to put up quick and dirty Kindergartens. The fact Blue Diamond was heading this period in Earth's history means Pink Diamond, by that point, was gone for whatever reason.

Just a few things worth mentioning.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Also, I am glad I am not the only one to notice the parralels to Jasper forcing herself to fuse with one of the corrupted monsters and HIV/AIDs. I literally got in a verbal fight with a friend once when I brought up the fact that fusion is a subtle allusion for sex.

I mean really, this is a kids show obviously, so they are not going to be super overt about it, but it's pretty undeniable if you take a few minutes to look at it that fusion / sex share some sub-textual parallels. Sapphire and Ruby's loving relationship in which they are always fused (or flirting with eachother wanting to be fused), the feeling of violation Garnet felt when she realized Pearl was using her to fuse into Sardonyx, the abusive relationship under-tones between Jasper and Lapis after they "broke up", even the way Peridot blushes and acts nervous when Garnet non-nonchalantly offers to fuse with her and take away her fusion "virginity".

I could go on but I think you get my point.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So I guess Steven and Connie? And Steven and Amethyst? Plus Garnet's just fucking 24/7? Or the 5 Ruby orgy?

When you start looking at the bigger scope of fusion, especially its purpose on Homeworld vs what it's become on Earth, the sex allusion by itself falls apart. It works better as an allusion for relationships; Homeworld's sense of it being a work relationship, but on Earth it's become about family, friends, or romantic (although also work sometimes, such as Opal). There's a wider breadth to this than "it's about sex." I didn't say anything before because it was Fade being Fade, but I think you guys can appreciate that there's a lot more going on here, especially when there are so many more examples where that idea doesn't fit.

Celt Z

Celt Z

My impression was more like @Zero Esc when it comes to fusion. Sex could be part of it, but relationships in general seem to be a better allegory for fusing. You can pass an STD/STI from not only sex, and if you don't know your partner well enough, you don't know what's going to happen. Unstable relationships, or lack of trust= unstable fusions, etc. The Rubies seems to be a good example of this. They don't seem to have a romantic interest in each other, but they trust each other enough to work as one unit.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh, there is definitely more to it than sex, but this particular example seems like it does fall more into the physical aspect.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So I guess Steven and Connie? And Steven and Amethyst? Plus Garnet's just fucking 24/7? Or the 5 Ruby orgy?

When you start looking at the bigger scope of fusion, especially its purpose on Homeworld vs what it's become on Earth, the sex allusion by itself falls apart. It works better as an allusion for relationships; Homeworld's sense of it being a work relationship, but on Earth it's become about family, friends, or romantic (although also work sometimes, such as Opal). There's a wider breadth to this than "it's about sex." I didn't say anything before because it was Fade being Fade, but I think you guys can appreciate that there's a lot more going on here, especially when there are so many more examples where that idea doesn't fit.
That is the thing though, relationships, when it comes to being physical, are about sex. There are emotional ties, obviously, but when it comes down to it, old or young, sex is a big part of what holds the physical side of a relationship together. You can't get more physical then fusion.

Yes, you can have platonic relationships, sometimes those platonic relationships still may have sexual desires or interests in each other for reasons of recreation, or need, or desperation. Sex isn't just about romance either.

Steven and Amethyst's fusion came at a time they both felt vulnerable, mostly Amethyst, who lost her confidence in herself and her abilities. Steven helped bring her back from that, and they immediately fused on touching. It's a common trope that the down-trodden person finds reassurance of her self-confidence through sex, as Pearl did through Garnet. Also yes, Garnet is literally fucking 24/7 because Ruby and Sapphire are that type of couple that can't keep themselves off each other (as they showed to the groups determent a few episodes ago during the baseball game), they are literally a walking PDA who want to get into each others pants at every turn.

Connie was introduced to the show not as "just a friend" but someone Steven openly, and romantically, pines over. Them forming into Stevonnie is their way of, quite literally, growing up, much in the same way many consider sex a rite of passage, it's what allows them to be adults (even if just for a little bit). Also, before anyone goes "They are kids!", don't forget this show was made by Rebecca Suger, a person who has drawn gay Ed, Edd, and Eddy porn, this isn't exactly new for her.

The Rubies actually do still fit in line with the allusion. Rubies don't choose who they fuse with, no Gem does, as the Diamonds dictate the purpose of fusion and finds Gems outside their quality and make that fuse to be "perversions" (which throws other allusions I am sure are obvious). Fusion, to them, is nothing more then a function. You ever heard the old saying, "Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power". Homeworld takes that to the extreme, fusion is about power, but like the super space prudes they are, the natural way to fuse is only between the same race and only for the purposes of supporting the gem race, not for the purposes of love. Ruby made it clear that when Rubies fuse, they retain their own minds, they don't mingle. They just do it because they have to do it, and it's pretty obvious to me Rebecca is using them to allude to issues she believes exist in the world when it comes to sex and detachment, and social norms.

Remember the episode when Greg met Rose? Remember how Pearl had a mic-drop moment where she fused with Rose right in front of Greg and rubbed it in his face? How Greg himself wanted to fuse with her throughout the rest of the episode and how self-conscious he felt because he knew he biologically couldn't give her what she needed? Are you telling me none of that physical display represented any type of sex or display of power and ownership through sex?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

One other thing of note, now that we know about Pink Diamond officially, Pearl's space suit makes a lot more sense now.

This is another reason I think Pink Diamond was destroyed by the Authority and not Rose. We know the other Diamonds we have seen (Blue and Yellow) have a Pearl hand-maiden that attends to them with complete loyalty. The Pearl we know was likely the hand-maiden of Pink Diamond. The only two scenarios in which Pearl joins Rose is that the Authority killed her Diamond, forcing her to join with Rose to get revenge for the death of her Diamond, or Rose turned Pearl to her side and Pearl helped Rose shatter Pink Diamond, which is honestly getting a little too Game of Thrones for my taste.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Watching the "Keep Beach City Weird" marathon today... watching Ronaldo freak out in the lightout house.

- Polymorphic sentient space rocks: confirmed.
- Diamond authority: confirmed.

What hasn't been confirmed yet:
- Level 8 beings being a worker society, unable of organization: True... except when a Diamond is involved. Or Rose.
- They can take any form: true, if we're talking Amethyst... but something still makes me think that the Diamonds could do this too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My impression was more like @Zero Esc when it comes to fusion. Sex could be part of it, but relationships in general seem to be a better allegory for fusing. You can pass an STD/STI from not only sex, and if you don't know your partner well enough, you don't know what's going to happen. Unstable relationships, or lack of trust= unstable fusions, etc. The Rubies seems to be a good example of this. They don't seem to have a romantic interest in each other, but they trust each other enough to work as one unit.
Yeah, I suppose I can see that. I just think narrowing it all down to sex is an enormous oversimplification, both for Steven Universe and for real life.

But a person whose worldview boils down to "everything is sex" is going to logically see sex in everything, so there's no point trying to shift that discussion; the foundation runs deeper than any cartoon.

Moving on, here's this:

Whether by Rose's hand or some other way, looks like Pink Diamond is poofed and of some use to Rose. Right now fan theories are running wild to incorporate new information, from simple ones like Lion being Pink Diamond, to the "we're running out of straws" ones like Connie having gem in her DNA from when Pink Diamond did the same as Rose Quartz but with a woman so the child didn't get the gem itself and this trait passed down through thousands of years.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Surprise, surprise... more evidence that Rose was a fucking hypocrite. And apparently Pearl knew and is terrified of what happened... I'm betting she was the reason Rose did it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On the one hand-HOLY FUCK STEVEN IN SPACE HOW HE GET OUT OF THAT ONE-on the other hand-Awwwwwwwwwww, Eyeball has a crush!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Well looks like they are implying the former with Rose shattering Pink Diamond. I still holding out that this is a misdirect but it's definitely leading that direction right now. Also..

OHSHIT

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anyone else hoping he crashes to Earth in his bubble, makes a huge crater, and just WALKS out action movie style?

Celt Z

Celt Z

I wonder if her shattering of Pink Diamond is why Rose felt no Gem should be shattered ever again. There's so much missing from this story, and the only people who have said anything yet are supporters of the Diamond Authority. Pearl's reaction either means she really knows what happened/i.e. was a witness, or like the others, only know the story they are told. If anything, I think this makes Rose a far more interesting and complex character.

Meanwhile...bubble, Steven! Bubble quick! Can his floating propel him back to the base? And shouldn't the Rubies bounce back pretty quick, considering their supposed to be able to adapt to any atmosphere?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Bubble quick!
Hmm?

...oh, never mind.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So yeah I'm pretty sure EVERY ep of SU this weak is gonna get leaked early, as is the way of nature.

OKAY-its officially aired, I'ma talk about it now!

ONE-Eyeball is my favorite Ruby and I need more or her.

TWO-Why wasn't Eyeball in charge? She's a flipping war veteran, can summon a weapon, knows the layout of the stinking land, if anything she's the most qualified.

THREE-wait, can they all summon weapons? W...why don't they do that all the time? Seriously, what is the DEAL with Gem weapons?

FOUR-Steven shows better manipulation of his shield, neat.

FIVE-the dark compromise of Rose Quartz. Maybe it was wrong to shatter Pink Diamond, but if not all the malformed and disobedient Gems would be shattered. Heavy.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... and we're officially at the end of Season 3. Despite the low key tone of this episode, I feel like this might have actually been more of a test than fighting Jasper.

- Steven uses everything he's been taught so far to try and turn this enemy into an ally, but fails.
- He finally realizes the scope of his enemy: even the smallest Ruby is willing to murder him in cold blood for things he wasn't even a part of... they have simply lost too much to let go.
- Faced with a battle he can't win, Steven finally does the one thing he's been avoiding the whole show: essentially kill a Gem.

This isn't like with Bismuth... Bismuth can come back, she's in a bubble. Ruby Eye isn't shattered, but it is unlikely she will every be saved from drifting in space and Steven had every reason to believe this to be true. He killed that Ruby in basically every way that matters. Maybe the rest of the Rubies too.

WHUvhiH.gif

I really like how every season spends the last few episodes building up to the thing Steven's going to have to do. I never would have guessed that they'd have the guts to do the one thing even AVATAR and KORRA weren't willing to do!

Celt Z

Celt Z

I would say kill is an over-statement. Ruby is immortal as long as her Gem is intact, she can adapt to anything she runs into in space, and clearly Homeworld has the tech to find her if they feel like it. But I agree that Steven wasn't able to reason with a Gem and had to choose his own life over hers, something he's always tried to avoid.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah while I admit the gravitas of Steven ejecting her from his bubble, there's no WAY that's the last we've seen of the Ruby-squad.

ALSO-the Roaming Eye...what they gon' do with that?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I would say kill is an over-statement. Ruby is immortal as long as her Gem is intact, she can adapt to anything she runs into in space, and clearly Homeworld has the tech to find her if they feel like it. But I agree that Steven wasn't able to reason with a Gem and had to choose his own life over hers, something he's always tried to avoid.
Ehh... again, I did say "every way that matters". He didn't shatter her, but there's a non-zero chance she's going to fly through space forever and never be found. Even if she lands on a planet, that doesn't mean she can get OFF of it. She's got a good chance of never seeing another living thing ever again. That's... almost worse than being shattered.

But yes, the main point is that Steven was willing to sacrifice that Gem to survive. It's a WAR now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

... and we're officially at the end of Season 3.
Wait, really? So, no more episodes this week?

Ehh... again, I did say "every way that matters". He didn't shatter her, but there's a non-zero chance she's going to fly through space forever and never be found. Even if she lands on a planet, that doesn't mean she can get OFF of it. She's got a good chance of never seeing another living thing ever again. That's... almost worse than being shattered.

But yes, the main point is that Steven was willing to sacrifice that Gem to survive. It's a WAR now.
Yosh makes a good point; this being a TV show, we'll likely see them again. But Steven wouldn't know that, so yeah; he was in a sucky situation and had to do a sucky thing.

So, does anyone still want to claim Rose = Pink Diamond, or that Rose did not shatter Pink Diamond, or have all the straws been grasped?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wait, really? So, no more episodes this week?

Yosh makes a good point; this being a TV show, we'll likely see them again. But Steven wouldn't know that, so yeah; he was in a sucky situation and had to do a sucky thing.

So, does anyone still want to claim Rose = Pink Diamond, or that Rose did not shatter Pink Diamond, or have all the straws been grasped?
Nope to the first(two more eps) thank you for saying I made a good point, and your damn right I will. All we hear are STORIES that Rose shattered Pink Diamond, never seeing a flash back to the event in question. I don't know if Pink Diamond is Rose, I don't know if Rose isn't Pink and didn't shatter her, but there is still something going on there.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nope to the first(two more eps) thank you for saying I made a good point, and your damn right I will. All we hear are STORIES that Rose shattered Pink Diamond, never seeing a flash back to the event in question. I don't know if Pink Diamond is Rose, I don't know if Rose isn't Pink and didn't shatter her, but there is still something going on there.
Current Tumblr theory is that it was Pink Diamond who loved Earth, so decided to fake her own death for reasons by possessing Rose Quartz and forcing her to kill Pink Diamond, to start a rebellion, and gave Rose life-granting powers so she could turn Pink Diamond into Lion.

Because that makes sense. Anyway, here ya go, have fun:

We've all had a bunch of theories, but the only one who's been right about things has been Ashburner. Which means I must set him to Ignore to avoid future spoilers :p.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That DOES raise the question of what the deal is with Lion though... maybe a Gem that transformed for too long and got stuck like that? I dunno... we don't have much to go on for Lion.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

three minutes into "the kindergarten kid" and my brain clicked.

ROADRUNNER EPISODE.

Celt Z

Celt Z

He did banish Eyeball Ruby in similar way to Rose and Bismuth, but the only thing that the Rubies have going for them is that unlike Bismuth, Homeworld knows they were supposed to come back. Unfortunately, Homeworld would/will probably put their priorities into getting Jasper over random Rubies. Meanwhile, I have it in my head that Ruby will eventually be living a life similar to The Little Prince. (Le Petit Prince) :D

EDIT: Ha haha! If I had more time, I love to draw Eyeball like some of the famous illustrations from the book. Especially her stabbing the rose, because, "ROSE!!! I'LL BE FAMOUS!!".

Current Tumblr theory is that it was Pink Diamond who loved Earth, so decided to fake her own death for reasons by possessing Rose Quartz and forcing her to kill Pink Diamond, to start a rebellion, and gave Rose life-granting powers so she could turn Pink Diamond into Lion.
That's getting a bit ridiculous. But I do agree that their has to be a bit more to this story. I'm waiting for the Gems to give us a flashback or some more details, since it wouldn't be the first time we've been given an answer, but the full story turns out to be more complicated. It wasn't until "Monster Buddies" that we learned the monsters the Gems have been fighting are just corrupted Gems, and how much of their "humanity" is still in them. The Gems aren't just protecting the Earth, they've gathering what's left of their race. I think it's safe to say Rose shattered Pink Diamond, but the why and how it going to matter in the end.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's getting a bit ridiculous. But I do agree that their has to be a bit more to this story. I'm waiting for the Gems to give us a flashback or some more details, since it wouldn't be the first time we've been given an answer, but the full story turns out to be more complicated. It wasn't until "Monster Buddies" that we learned the monsters the Gems have been fighting are just corrupted Gems, and how much of their "humanity" is still in them. The Gems aren't just protecting the Earth, they've gathering what's left of their race. I think it's safe to say Rose shattered Pink Diamond, but the why and how it going to matter in the end.
These theories of crazy shit are just desperate, like why would Garnet and Pearl lie to Steven to make him suffer? To cushion him, yeah, but not to make him suffer. But yeah, there's surely more to the story. I doubt it went down like this:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... and Greg kept the t-shirt cannon out of shame, all these years.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

In other news, fans have decided to interpret Rebecca Sugar's unfinished comic "Margo in bed", written during when she was going through a bad break-up...as a reveal that she was in an abusive relationship...which it wasn't. Also saying that Jasper is BASED on her abuser and that's made Tumblr...real fun. THIS FANDOM EVERYBODY, this fucking fandom.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I doubt it went down like this:

OMG.... now I NEED more of Rose Quartz: Pregnant Hitman! It would be like Kill Bill meets Steven Universe!

So beautiful.....! :awesome:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

In other news, fans have decided to interpret Rebecca Sugar's unfinished comic "Margo in bed", written during when she was going through a bad break-up...as a reveal that she was in an abusive relationship...which it wasn't. Also saying that Jasper is BASED on her abuser and that's made Tumblr...real fun. THIS FANDOM EVERYBODY, this fucking fandom.
This is why I avoid those areas of tumblr, much like I avoid anything brony related.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I typically stay out of the #stevenuniverse tag. Not because of the crazy theories, but because of the ... fanart, if you want to call it.

This is why I avoid those areas of tumblr, much like I avoid anything brony related.
Not a 50 Shades of Friendship reader, huh?

(Before anyone goes searching, I made that up. I hope.)

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

(Before anyone goes searching, I made that up. I hope.)
Don't worry, there is no fanfic of ponies called 50 Shades of Friendship.

You need to search for 50 Shades of Neigh. ;)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

IN OTHER NEWS-Matt Burnett's nephew has apparently hijacked his twitter account and won't give it back unless he gets a Suicide Squad tatoo and a viewing of "Sausage Party". This maybe the funniest thing ever.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Matt Burnett's nephew needs to realize he will regret both of those things.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On Sardonyx tonight, massive 4th wall breaking, seemingly legitimate questions about Smoky Quartz that are really just show stealing, and newly formed head canons about each fusion Gem's room.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

On Sardonyx tonight, massive 4th wall breaking, seemingly legitimate questions about Smoky Quartz that are really just show stealing, and newly formed head canons about each fusion Gem's room.
I think the BIGGER question about Sardonyx is... where the hell did the talk show motif come from? I wonder if Pearl or Garnet used to binge on TV back in the day. I could see Pearl staying up late, watching television while Rose and Greg were out on a date.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I can definitely seem them binging on Johnny Carson, or possibly Ed Sullivan. Sardonyx always has that neo-vaudeville feel to her.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Well I'm all caught up with this show, and I just have so... many... feelings.

When will "It's Over, Isn't It" leave my head?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"Oh look, a book full of Gem related stuff."
"Never saw this one before.... Oh well." *turns page, doesn't even read it*

OH COME ON.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"Oh look, a book full of Gem related stuff."
"Never saw this one before.... Oh well." *turns page, doesn't even read it*

OH COME ON.
Seriously, first the spooky Moon Orb on the Moon base now THAT! Is Blue Diamond dead? WHAHAPPENED?!

ALSO-

Pearl: Rose never had a lion!

Nope, she had SEVEN lions.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Seriously, first the spooky Moon Orb on the Moon base now THAT! Is Blue Diamond dead? WHAHAPPENED?!

ALSO-

Pearl: Rose never had a lion!

Nope, she had SEVEN lions.
Thinking back to the first history episode, Buddy never met Rose until now, did he? It was Alexandrite that saved the ship and only Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst are part of her. Which makes me wonder if Rose had been spending time away from them for awhile. It's not like Amethyst mentioned Rose was hanging out by the Sand Castle ether.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Thinking back to the first history episode, Buddy never met Rose until now, did he? It was Alexandrite that saved the ship and only Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst are part of her. Which makes me wonder if Rose had been spending time away from them for awhile. It's not like Amethyst mentioned Rose was hanging out by the Sand Castle ether.
POSSIBLY-Alexandrite, it could've also been the super unnamed quintuple fusion that I assume they make Voltron style.

And I think so, probably doing crazy secret plans that crazy secret people like Rose do...most likely breeding magical lions that are sentient pocket dimensions ala "Eat-man".

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seems that way, actually. Rose might've taken a "walk the Earth" route for a couple centuries at that point. I wonder if that has anything to do with the other Crystal Gems reforming as younger versions for the time Greg comes into the picture; what kind of situation might've gone on between those two time periods.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I was confused why Buddy didn't recognize Rose. The fusion that saved the ship looked more like the statue carved into the Gem's cliff than Alexandrite.
Historical_Friction_098.jpg
Alexandrite has pointy hair, similar to Lion. This one looks like it has Rose's smoother curls.

There's also the painting of the event, where Rose is clearly present:

But they did say they posed for that picture, so it's an artist's recreation.
Steven Universe is all about the continuity, so I'm curious why they went this route.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

MAN these kids are going through some shit.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

MAN these kids are going through some shit.
I'm just glad they addressed it. Steven's stabbed a gem, was almost harmed by another, and essentially doomed another to float through space forever (from his perspective anyway). He should feel bad about all of these things, as justified as they were.

And hey! Another Estelle song... and Connie too! That's her first.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Love me some Estelle, and Stevonnie's voice actress is gold to.

Connie DID remind me of some of my martial artist friends, they are taught to be on guard ALL the time to the point where they have no off switch. Never bring a martial arts nut to a Halloween haunted house, it'll get scary.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Poor Steven.

And geez, that butterfly cloud turning into Rose's face.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Poor Steven.

And geez, that butterfly cloud turning into Rose's face.
I wasn't surprised. The looming specter that his mom wasn't the person he was told but someone willing to kill probably has him worried that's he's going to have to shatter a Gem at some point too. They're going to have to tell him the whole story of Pink Diamond at some point, then he's going to need to talk to his Dad to find out if knew, and then we get to deal with Childhood Disillusionment Steven for a few episodes until the mid-season finale.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wasn't surprised. The looming specter that his mom wasn't the person he was told but someone willing to kill probably has him worried that's he's going to have to shatter a Gem at some point too. They're going to have to tell him the whole story of Pink Diamond at some point, then he's going to need to talk to his Dad to find out if knew, and then we get to deal with Childhood Disillusionment Steven for a few episodes until the mid-season finale.
For some reason I wasn't surprised either; she's the most complicated relationship he has because they cannot ever meet.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Either she's a hypocrite, or a liar, both gotta be hard to swallow for Steven.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's almost certain that Steven's story is going to lead up to the moment where he's going to HAVE to shatter a Gem or there will be consequences... and he won't do it. He'd rather risk consequences than utterly destroy a Gem forever. Not because it's what Rose would have done (she'd have done it and we know that now) but because it's what Greg would have done. I've always been a big Greg supporter and I sort of feel like he gets left out of the equation of who Steven is a lot of a time, with a lot of people playing up his grand Gem destiny and connection to his mom as the only thing that matters... but Greg's been there for Steven any time he's needed him and it's clear that Greg's been a huge influence on him (Steven can sing, play Guitar + other strings like ukulele AND Piano like a professional AT 14 YEARS OLD). I kind of feel like whatever victory they achieve by the end of the series, it should be because of Greg's Human influence (and human influence in general) rather than Steven's Gem side.

Also, I'm calling it now: since we know Steven CAN fuse with other Gems, whatever the final, BIG fusion turns out to be, it's going to have a Guitar as a weapon. Probably going to be called something like Mystic Quartz.

chris

chris

I was confused why Buddy didn't recognize Rose. The fusion that saved the ship looked more like the statue carved into the Gem's cliff than Alexandrite.
View attachment 21907
Alexandrite has pointy hair, similar to Lion. This one looks like it has Rose's smoother curls.

There's also the painting of the event, where Rose is clearly present:

But they did say they posed for that picture, so it's an artist's recreation.
Steven Universe is all about the continuity, so I'm curious why they went this route.
Does the picture really shows the event of the rescue of Captain Dewey? I thought its an alternate take of the painting "Watson and the shark" and the real life event.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Okay, WHO ELSE thought he posted the same video at first?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm assuming they did a bunch of upcoming songs at Comic Con and we're going to be getting the videos in the comings weeks.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Pretty sure their "act" is clear allegory for something.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I ... kinda felt this was the first weak episode in a long long while. But even saying that is pretty impressive considering.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm wandering if it was Steven's electrical interference powers, or super strength that messed up Zoltron.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Pretty sure their "act" is clear allegory for something.
This was my thought too. I'm almost certain it's what STEVEN thought too, until they started doing their act. But yeah... this was probably my favorite episode in awhile, if only for accurately depicting what it's like to both BE depressed and having to DEAL with someone being depressed.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm wandering if it was Steven's electrical interference powers, or super strength that messed up Zoltron.
Or maybe it was just a crappy old machine that was going to fall apart anyway.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Or maybe it was just a crappy old machine that was going to fall apart anyway.
I like to imagine Mr. Smiley does things like this to try and scam guys, but Steven breaks everything so his schemes go nowhere.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This was my thought too. I'm almost certain it's what STEVEN thought too, until they started doing their act. But yeah... this was probably my favorite episode in awhile, if only for accurately depicting what it's like to both BE depressed and having to DEAL with someone being depressed.
Insanely so, can't say I haven't been in Quentin's mind-set plenty of times in my life, as well as Harold's.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Celt Z

Celt Z

On one hand, it's a beautiful illustration. But in my head, Stevonnie would be slightly more androgynous. Probably similar to this, but with a stronger jaw, maybe a tad less bust, and a little broader in the shoulders.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Lion is freakin' on point though.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

DAMMIT CREWNIVERSE-two awesome gay ships in two weeks?! TOO MUCH!

Seriously Pearl fucking RULED in this ep....also she never got a license, bad-ass!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Kinda loving Pearl in this episode, but she definitely has a "type".

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... Greg is in serious fucking trouble because his car tried to evade the cops, right? Like, we need to have an episode where he has to go to court now or he gets busted by the cops.

Also, Pearl's look seems to be a love letter to some fanart from TAG The Comic Book Broad's "Bad Pearl" series... which is now a general fanart thing in the community now?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So... Greg is in serious fucking trouble because his car tried to evade the cops, right? Like, we need to have an episode where he has to go to court now or he gets busted by the cops.

Also, Pearl's look seems to be a love letter to some fanart from TAG The Comic Book Broad's "Bad Pearl" series... which is now a general fanart thing in the community now?

Heh, the second one of those sounds like something Rick Sanchez would say, coincidentally I've seen a lot of Pearl/Rick fan-art as well for some reason.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I never really thought about Pearl as the Renegade Pearl; we're always used to seeing her as by the book and such. This was a cute episode.

Heh, the second one of those sounds like something Rick Sanchez would say, coincidentally I've seen a lot of Pearl/Rick fan-art as well for some reason.
Me too, plus their fusion called "Prick."

Correction--his car did evade the cops :p. But yeah, I was thinking too how they must have the license plate. Poor Steven; this was how he reacted when Connie hid his mom's sword when her mom came home. He's too well-behaved.

Also, "I haven't been that scared since that time you left me to die." How long has he been waiting to spring that one? :D

Celt Z

Celt Z

Also, "I haven't been that scared since that time you left me to die." How long has he been waiting to spring that one? :D
I thought he said "...you almost let me die", referring to the failed attempt at building a space ship? But then again, for poor Steven, this could be a few times he was with the Gems.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought he said "...you almost let me die", referring to the failed attempt at building a space ship? But then again, for poor Steven, this could be a few times he was with the Gems.
I thought he was referring to "Rose's Scabbard" when she left him dangling on the side of a cliff.

N

Nebulous

I love this show, the story just keeps on getting more interesting as time goes on. :heart:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My wife wanted some of the recent songs for her iPod (I hadn't updated the Steven Universe stuff since before The Answer). Just running through these songs is putting tears in my eyes. This show's gonna fucking kill me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... Onion's just a normal, lonely kid? Who actually cares about Steven? CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And Steven just now realized he doesn't have many friends his own age, something I've been wandering about.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Connie, Petie, and Onion are all younger, Lars, Sadie, the Cool Kids are all older.

And eventually, every human he knows will be younger!

Celt Z

Celt Z

That, and it's a beach town, which means their year-round population tends to be small. And Steven doesn't go to school.

(BTW, it's actually "Peedee", even though the early episodes streamed on Hulu say otherwise in the cc's.)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...hey wait a damn minute, in Mindful Education Connie mentioned beating up Jeff at school, but this ep JUST said its Fall, BEFORE school starts! CONFUSION!

The show was aired out of order again wasn't it?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...hey wait a damn minute, in Mindful Education Connie mentioned beating up Jeff at school, but this ep JUST said its Fall, BEFORE school starts! CONFUSION!

Knowing Connie's parents, she probably goes to a different school under a different schedule.

Celt Z

Celt Z

This is a good point. The only defense I've got is sometimes summer people still come out on the weekends until is gets too chilly, so it could be their last weekend. Plus, didn't we establish is was becoming Fall when Steven took Lapis on a tour of the tri-state area? Or has a year passed since then? (Normally I wouldn't care, but the SU team is usually pretty good about continuity.)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Knowing Connie's parents, she probably goes to a different school under a different schedule.
Connie was doing back-to-school shopping, which doesn't seem like something she'd do after school had started.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Probably aired out of order, these things happen.

Either that or the Beach City tree leaves turn brown slower than in the country. Is that a thing?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Probably aired out of order, these things happen.

Either that or the Beach City tree leaves turn brown slower than in the country. Is that a thing?
Actually, that makes no sense either. Rebecca Sugar said it's supposed to take place in Maryland? Well, that's where I live. School started three weeks ago and the leaves won't be turning brown for another two or three weeks at least.

So it might not even be episodes aired out of order, because the in-episode continuity is a mess. This is the problem with Steven not going to school :p.

N

Nebulous

So... Onion's just a normal, lonely kid? Who actually cares about Steven? CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!
I do. Onion is a future serial killer when he grows up :p

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, that makes no sense either. Rebecca Sugar said it's supposed to take place in Maryland? Well, that's where I live. School started three weeks ago and the leaves won't be turning brown for another two or three weeks at least.

So it might not even be episodes aired out of order, because the in-episode continuity is a mess. This is the problem with Steven not going to school :p.
Strictly speaking, Beach City is on the Delmarva Peninsula, within something like 50 miles of Ocean City. In fact, a lot of the things related to the town are based on life in Ocean City.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Strictly speaking, Beach City is on the Delmarva Peninsula, within something like 50 miles of Ocean City. In fact, a lot of the things related to the town are based on life in Ocean City.
Do they wait until autumn to start school?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Do they wait until autumn to start school?
According to the Worcester school district calendar, the first day of school for k-12 is September 6th. Considering my leaves had already started changing color and falling around then, it's entirely possible theirs have too. So... yes.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Celt Z

Celt Z

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No Steven this week... so we might be back on hiatus until December or January.

There is, however, word that we might be getting a new intro with Peridot soon though.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anyone else having "Hiatus Dreams", dreaming about what the new episodes might be, in HD animated fashion? Because I am. Some of them start off good, but then my sub-conscious always adds some element that throws off the story. Why did you give Pearl a monster who looked like a fanged pickle monster with crazy Rose hands, WE WERE DOING SO WELL WITH THE CURRENT STORY!

On the subject, I once pretty much predicted exactly Pearl's reaction to Steven having Rose's sword.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So the current theory is that we're going to get "Gem Harvest" on Thanksgiving (Nov. 24th) and that it might be Thanksgiving related. I must admit, I'd love to see another Colonial Dewey episode...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So the current theory is that we're going to get "Gem Harvest" on Thanksgiving (Nov. 24th) and that it might be Thanksgiving related. I must admit, I'd love to see another Colonial Dewey episode...
Given how bad-ass the name is, I wouldn't doubt it just being a Thanksgiving special....unless that's what they WANT us to think! I GOT YO NUMBER CREWNIVERSE!

evilmike

evilmike

Found this on a recent Google walk:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The shorts got released. I'm sure you all can find them... I especially liked how Steven Reacts did a nod to the constant hiatuses.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The shorts got released. I'm sure you all can find them... I especially liked how Steven Reacts did a nod to the constant hiatuses.
...after seeing the clips on Youtube, I'm REALLY contemplating buying them. Amethyst, Steven, and Garnet sing "Haven't you noticed I'm a star" together, THAT FUCKING RULES!

EDIT:

This show and "We Bare Bears" are just fucking ACES at belonging to the time period they are in. It dates it yes, but it also gives it character.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This show and "We Bare Bears" are just fucking ACES at belonging to the time period they are in. It dates it yes, but it also gives it character.
Yes and no: Steven Universe is very much a 2010's show, but it also has a distinct retro feel to it thanks to the Greg flashbacks and the fact that Steven doesn't have the latest in technology... he has a smart phone, but his console is a Gamecube (which came out in 2001, before he was born) and his TV is an old fashioned cathode ray (probably because it makes his games look right). I think a lot of this has to do with the story basically taking place over 20+ years (or 3000+ really).

I find it interesting that Steven does American style sushi. I dug the Huy Fong sriracha cameo: even in the Gem-verse, there is no substitute.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

True, true, a very multi-era show.

MORE TO THE POINT-

PUMPKIN PUPPY!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Both Adventure Time and Steven Universe are coming back sometime in November!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Reminder that tonight is a -22 minute- special episode. Starts at 7:30pm EST. Also, check out HSAU Onion there: he's totally a grumpy Home EC teacher.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Reminder that tonight is a -22 minute- special episode. Starts at 7:30pm EST. Also, check out HSAU Onion there: he's totally a grumpy Home EC teacher.
...wait, that's Onion? Aw man, I thought it'd be Greg's dad or something.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

...wait, that's Onion? Aw man, I thought it'd be Greg's dad or something.
Could be... but there are onions there and he has Onion's hair.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think he's that new character the Fan channels on Youtube have been hyping.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Gem Harvest

Alright... the line "Aw, don't buy into that, Steven. I'll buy you a stick of pepperoni for your birthday," is the exact moment I lost it during this episode.

And hey, we learned a lot this episode too!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Fuck YEAH we did, everyone's theory that Universe wasn't an actual sur-name was correct (DEMAYO FOR LIFE), Steven has an cous-uncle who don't need a prescription to know how to ROCK, and we got a legit Thanksgiving episode! THIS! EPISODE! RULED!

WELP-*CLAP* see y'all in five months!

Celt Z

Celt Z

I like the Gems' idea of an ultimate party.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Totally forgot there was a new episode today.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Totally forgot there was a new episode today.
SHAME ON YOU!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New episode tonight.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Tonight we learn the Mom Squad used to be a bunch of kidnapping crazy people...well as Peridot shows technically they still are-BUT STILL!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

JESUS.png

I mean... holy fuck, did she think no one would notice?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wonder how many more times Pearl has almost killed Steven.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Another funny thing about the above image: It implies Greg is a virgin and that Steven was immaculately conceived. This... makes a lot of sense, really.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If not the usual way, what method did Rose use to procure Greg's DNA?

Theorycraft/fanwanking GO! To Tumblrrrrrrr

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If not the usual way, what method did Rose use to procure Greg's DNA?

Theorycraft/fanwanking GO! To Tumblrrrrrrr
Why would she need his DNA? Gems are semi-animated space rocks; their entire bodies minus the gem are magical projections... and last time I checked, their entire method of reproduction is closer to farming than having a baby. It's likely that ether Steven only has his father's DNA (making him closer to a clone) or that whatever Rose contributed is entirely simulated.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why would she need his DNA?
It's likely that ether Steven only has his father's DNA
?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Didn't she shape-shift a womb for Steven? Why would a vagina be too much of a stretch?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Didn't she shape-shift a womb for Steven? Why would a vagina be too much of a stretch?
That depends on Greg, doesn't it? Ehhhhhhhhhh :p

In any case, that's only a theory. I thought it was funny that each of the Crystal Gems in the flashback espoused a conflicting fan theory about how Steven works, but also made sense to each of their personalities.

That said, the show didn't give any answers to those questions, and while most fans are willing to accept that we don't know, others assert their versions as canon, so you'll get situations where people say the shapeshifted womb theory is true.

It's a theory I agree with, but it's still just a theory.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Simple: a womb isn't the real issue here, it's the lack of eggs to fertilize... which would essentially mean that Rose would have needed to...

- Understand how human reproduction works on a fairly high level (Rose and the Gems didn't seem understand what babies were, despite living on Earth for thousands of years, so this is unlikely)
- Understand how Human genetics works on a high enough level to make a working copy with the traits she wanted to give Steven
- Be able to successfully replicate a human egg (which aren't connected to the human body until fertilization occurs and should probably be impossible for her to sustain) well enough to not only function as an egg, but accept Greg's DNA AND carry it to term.
- Do the above without accidentally giving Steven some serious DNA damage or genetic problems like Down's Syndrome.

... which is why I'm leaning towards a purely magical immaculate conception, which makes more sense for Rose because it allows her to basically "magic" around most of these issues. She likely "faked" both Greg and her's traits, based on what she knew about him and her, as she grew Steven. This would explain some of Steven's physical issues too, like why he doesn't grow except when he thinks he should.

Also because it's WAY funnier.

Rose: "I'm Pregnant, Greg."
Greg: "WE'VE ONLY EVER KISSED!" *pulls out hair*

But really, ether theory works. I just think this theory works better within the setting of the show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm more partial to the fusion theory of hard light particles of a gem and carbon based human material, as the gems have mentioned in the past that Steven shouldn't be possible, suggesting something more complex than shapeshifting, and that Amethyst said a gem can only shapeshifter for so long without major problems. can still be magical bullshitted into existence without gems' understanding complex human anatomy.

So I like the womb theory because it makes Steven's birth even sadder! :awesome:

At least we can agree that Pearl's "gem wrapped in a baby" theory is way off.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm pretty sure one of the crew said Rose shape-shifted a womb for Steven...unless it was Matt Burnett who said it, than don't believe his lies.

Celt Z

Celt Z

According to Guide to the Crystal Gems, which is written by the show runners, Rose did recreate a working reproductive system in order to create/birth Steven. They didn't get into the details of HOW accurate it was, so the question of where she would have gotten an egg still comes into play. I'm thinking her ability to build/sustain Steven may have a lot to do with her healing powers. But she was with Greg for a while, and considering she found out about babies before she met Greg, she may have done some research about human reproduction. It's not like she couldn't go to the library.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

THAT'S the thing, okay yeah. EITHER WAY-we all know when Steven was born there was massive light explosion, as proven by Greg's permanent tan....also she thought about her dead pet lions and split into two beings, Steven and Lion making them-THE UNIVERSE BROTHERS! I WILL NOT STOP!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

*shrug* I haven't read Guide to the Crystal Gems yet so...

Though that does make the entire scene in the van THAT much funnier.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Either that or Rebecca was just saying Steven is their Jesus....which...he kinda is?

figmentPez

figmentPez

and that Amethyst said a gem can only shapeshifter for so long without major problems.
Speaking of which, how long did they say that Amethyst spent as a toilet?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Speaking of which, how long did they say that Amethyst spent as a toilet?
I think it was six months? That seems like a lot for them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think it was six months? That seems like a lot for them.
It could just be that becoming an inanimate object is way easier than a living, moving thing. *shrug*

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The one theory I believe is that Steven is his own being, that Rose didn't dissapear because she became him, but because the stress of keeping a shifted form for 9 months put a tole on her body destroying her.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The one theory I believe is that Steven is his own being, that Rose didn't dissapear because she became him, but because the stress of keeping a shifted form for 9 months put a tole on her body destroying her.
That's the sad part.

And Rose being gone, but you know ...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Please be Pink Diamond's Palanquin, please be Pink Diamond's palanquin.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Compare it to Blue Diamond's...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Her's is more closed, Pink's is a more open flower. I wonder if all the diamond's have flowers.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssst-

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video...ns-dream-episode.html?sessionToken=deprecated

THE Cartoon Network Link, for the normies as it turns out their releasing them this week I think, and with that-
-HOLY FUCKING SHIT BLUE DIAMOND!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Adventures in Light Distortion

Showing that the Gem's bodies ARE light and those stupid theory videos can shut up now.
[DOUBLEPOST=1483420766,1483420353][/DOUBLEPOST]Gem Heist

Okay-WHO THE SHIT IS HOLY BLUE AGATE?! Her voice is on the TIP of my tongue.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

THE ZOO

We just went 60s sci-fi up in this and I LOVE IT!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That will be All

SO-as it turns out, all Quartz types are amazing!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

SO-has...has anyone seen them but me yet? BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO TALK ABOUT THEM! SO MUCH AWESOME STUFF!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Alright... I'm finished with the episodes, but I think I'm going to wait to post anything REALLY spoilerly until after ether the episodes are properly aired or the other SU fans here have watched them. I don't want them to feel pressured to download the episodes if they'd rather wait to see them on TV.

You guys can feel free to say something if you're alright with us talking about it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I am fine talking about them if others are. Fun episodes.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Not yet! Probably later tonight I'll get a chance to watch them.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Saw the episodes, a few things of note.
Its good to see more Diamond development. We can actually see a lot of empathy out of Blue Diamond, which I was not expecting.

I think the biggest take away for me though was the Amethyst and Jasper dynamic totally took a 180.

Originally, it was always presented that Amethyst was the odd one out, while Jasper was the embodiment of a "pure born earth gem", signified by the fact Amethyst is such a short runt, but we clearly see it's the other way around now. Every earth gem at the Zoo (mostly Amethyst with two Jaspers) are pretty much, well... Amethyst. They have the same quirks, love of jokes, comfort the humans, and even help the group escape. It even showed that one of the Jasper's was unusually skinny and the other just as short as Amethyst. It seems if anything, the old Jasper is the odd one out.

It makes me feel more and more that the earth just roots in a free-spirited drive to gems born there.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Saw the episodes, a few things of note.
It makes me feel more and more that the earth just roots in a free-spirited drive to gems born there.
Did you see the Amethysts trying to talk with the humans when they were freaking out?

*guy sobbing in a tree*
"Just calm down... let's talk about it!"

"I'm never gonna Chosen again!" *sob*
"Sure you will." *comforting arm hug*

Ether ROSE turned them all into a bunch of peacenik hippy slackers or every Amethyst is not only strong, but full of empathy. I thought these were supposed to be foot soldiers! Is Jasper just the way she is because she woke up in the middle of a god damn warzone and saw all her comrades getting slaughtered?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

EITHER WAY-
The Famethyst make PRIMO Crystal Gem material-ALSO-we know Amethyst's real name is 8XM Facet 5 Cut 8XM...and that kinda rules.

Matt's saying this was an "accident"...suuuuuuuuuuure Cartoon Network. You're not just trying to make Tumblr explode in an insane attempt to gauge interest.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Matt's saying this was an "accident"...suuuuuuuuuuure Cartoon Network. You're not just trying to make Tumblr explode in an insane attempt to gauge interest.
They don't need to gauge interest. They already KNOW that Steven Universe is their highest rated show. They just stuff like this to keep the pressure up year round.

PatrThom

PatrThom

SO-has...has anyone seen them but me yet?
Ha ha nope not here.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

Whoops, sorry! Forgot to say I watched them! So, with that in mind:

I :heart: all Amethysts. I love how our Amethyst was like their little sister.

Apparently, Holly Blue Agate is Christine Pedi, who does a lot of voices and stage, and was on The Sopranos (Bobby's late wife)

Pearl already said their bodies were light, why do people argue against facts stated in the show?

Blue Diamond is nothing like I thought she'd be.

All those Quartzes... I wonder if they'll unbubble them.

Steven's Dream had me screaming "GREG!!!!!"

evilmike

evilmike

So... does this mean we can now forgo the spoiler tags?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Maybe until they officially air?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Whoops, sorry! Forgot to say I watched them! So, with that in mind:

I :heart: all Amethysts. I love how our Amethyst was like their little sister.

Apparently, Holly Blue Agate is Christine Pedi, who does a lot of voices and stage, and was on The Sopranos (Bobby's late wife)

Pearl already said their bodies were light, why do people argue against facts stated in the show?

Blue Diamond is nothing like I thought she'd be.

All those Quartzes... I wonder if they'll unbubble them.

Steven's Dream had me screaming "GREG!!!!!"
Straight up, FAMETHYST FOR LIFE!

Huh...weird, I have not heard her in that.

Because theory videos get views, what can I tell ya?

GEMSPLOSION!

While I was all-BLUE DIAMOND!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I only watched them early because Tumblr was spoiling shit.

As it is, that was a great arc. Usually Pearl and Garnet are my favorites, but Amethyst was the highlight gem throughout this one.

evilmike

evilmike

Some random observations:
* Rose Quartz isn't the only gem associated with flowers. Pink Diamond was using a flower symbol on her palanquin and at the zoo. The flowers growing around the palanquin matched this symbol. Given her interest and apparent concern (because of the humane zoo conditions) for organic life, I'm starting to wonder which side of the war she ended up on. Maybe Rose and Pearl were so broken up about Pink Diamond not because one of them shattered her but because they couldn't save her.

* The zoo held something more remarkable than the humans, or even an army of Amethysts -- all of the gems bubbled were Rose Quartz.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Some random observations:
* Rose Quartz isn't the only gem associated with flowers. Pink Diamond was using a flower symbol on her palanquin and at the zoo. The flowers growing around the palanquin matched this symbol. Given her interest and apparent concern (because of the humane zoo conditions) for organic life, I'm starting to wonder which side of the war she ended up on. Maybe Rose and Pearl were so broken up about Pink Diamond not because one of them shattered her but because they couldn't save her.

* The zoo held something more remarkable than the humans, or even an army of Amethysts -- all of the gems bubbled were Rose Quartz.
...oh man...OH MAN OH MAN-
THE CRYSTAL GEM ROSE QUARTZ MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO SHATTER PINK DIAMOND! GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIANT CONSPIRACY! That is WAY better than Rose being secretly Pink Diamond, WHICH I still think is somewhat on the table if my body-snatcher theory is correct.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...oh man...OH MAN OH MAN-
THE CRYSTAL GEM ROSE QUARTZ MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO SHATTER PINK DIAMOND! GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIANT CONSPIRACY! That is WAY better than Rose being secretly Pink Diamond, WHICH I still think is somewhat on the table if my body-snatcher theory is correct.
That still seems a bit of a stretch.

The way Pearl reacts to anyone talking about the shattering of Pink Diamond suggests she was witness to it; she would know if it was her Rose or some other Rose.

Among many laughs, my biggest for all this was:

Everyone: "Is this going to work?"
Sapphire: "No."
Everyone: =O

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Let's state the obvious here: Pearl was Pink Diamond's Pearl and THAT is why she doesn't want to talk about it. She was there. She might even be the reason it happened...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Let's state the obvious here: Pearl was Pink Diamond's Pearl and THAT is why she doesn't want to talk about it. She was there. She might even be the reason it happened...
I feel like the Rose's Scabbard episode refutes that, but I'd rather your theory be true because that's way more interesting.

And I hate to say, makes more sense than Yosh's theories :p. Like, any of them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is really on CN... they didn't even tell the Steven Universe crew what was going on, so they didn't have their stuff ready.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They even forgot to ADVERTISE IT on TV! WHO IS IN CHARGE OF MARKETING OVER THERE?! The same geniuses who couldn't make a toy-line out of Young Justice? It had three Beetles, Red Tornado, and all the members of the Team had ALT-COSTUMES!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They're idiots.

@Li3n

@Li3n

They even forgot to ADVERTISE IT on TV! WHO IS IN CHARGE OF MARKETING OVER THERE?! The same geniuses who couldn't make a toy-line out of Young Justice? It had three Beetles, Red Tornado, and all the members of the Team had ALT-COSTUMES!
Same guys that where behind switching Wookies with Ewoks in RotJ? I mean it's not like you could have Wookie kids around that looked like Ewoks or anything. I mena that wouldn't have added any more emotional gravitas to the fight, because "protecting the children" isn't relateable to human beings.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Same guys that where behind switching Wookies with Ewoks in RotJ? I mean it's not like you could have Wookie kids around that looked like Ewoks or anything. I mena that wouldn't have added any more emotional gravitas to the fight, because "protecting the children" isn't relateable to human beings.
...weird turn in conversation, but yes that would definitely be better. Was that what was supposed to happen?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Complain all you want about the Ewoks being dumb, they made mad money with toys, the spin-off movies, and the TV cartoon. That wasn't a bad marketing move, even if it made the movie worse.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I was an Ewok for Halloween when I was 4. I thought it was cool... :(

...Yub yub *sniff*

@Li3n

@Li3n

...weird turn in conversation, but yes that would definitely be better.
Darths&Droids is at Endor atm, so the toy thing easily reminded me of that.

Was that what was supposed to happen?
That's what i heard.

Complain all you want about the Ewoks being dumb, they made mad money with toys, the spin-off movies, and the TV cartoon. That wasn't a bad marketing move, even if it made the movie worse.
It was the first sign of what was to come, and what made Lucas think he didn't need to listen to the people that talked/forced him out of his worse ideas.

But my point was that it would have worked with Wookiee Babies just as well. Man, if the Muppets had only did it sooner...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

But my point was that it would have worked with Wookiee Babies just as well. Man, if the Muppets had only did it sooner...
I don't really agree.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Oh right, the holiday special already ruined small wookies... kind of forgot about that.

But i was thinking more along the lines of retconing that and just have them look like ewoks when young... hell, you could even have them capture our heroes like in the film, and then bring them to their elders... who, surprise, are all Wookiees, and the small ones are undergoing a rite of passage or something.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Saw some Steven Universe cosplayers walking around downtown Columbus today. I think OhayoCon is going on?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I was an Ewok for Halloween when I was 4. I thought it was cool... :(

...Yub yub *sniff*
A redhead cosplaying as @GasBandit? Man, this is bizarro world.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Saw some Steven Universe cosplayers walking around downtown Columbus today. I think OhayoCon is going on?
It's crazy how fast some people can put a cosplay together. Last year, Smoky Quartz debuted during the week before Otakon, and somehow there were already decent cosplays walking around the con on Saturday.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I haven't ever watched this show but I felt I would be remiss if I didn't come post this here.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

A new episode is floating around online, and I guess does anyone know:

Did it air this week for real?
Is it a leak?
Is it another sorta leak because Cartoon Network is bad at everything?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I thought new episodes were supposed to start this week? Maybe it's next week's?

Regardless, it's a fun one.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

FINALLY someone tells off Lapis.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not exactly what I was hoping for with that episode title.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Not exactly what I was hoping for with that episode title.
I know, I was hoping for a Jasper redemption arch as well-BUT WE CAN'T ALL BE WHISTLIN' IN DIXIE LAND!

On that subject, Lapis was a serious BITCH this week.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I know, I was hoping for a Jasper redemption arch as well-BUT WE CAN'T ALL BE WHISTLIN' IN DIXIE LAND!

That doesn't make any sense based on the episode title.

And that doesn't make sense based on the episode.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

First part was a an in-joke SU bit, second part was primarily my personal opinion. Seriously, what the hell Bob?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If Steven ever figured out a way to help the corrupted Gems, we're probably going to see him do it to Centipeedle and her crew first. Really, beating corruption is basically the prelude to the final arc because it's the moment Steven gets an army to fight off a proper Homeworld invasion.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If Steven ever figured out a way to help the corrupted Gems, we're probably going to see him do it to Centipeedle and her crew first. Really, beating corruption is basically the prelude to the final arc because it's the moment Steven gets an army to fight off a proper Homeworld invasion.
Hopefully CN lets it get that far. We're a good ways into season 4 and judging by the season size now and Rebecca Sugar's episode number, I'm guessing season 6 would be the final season. Again, assuming CN doesn't prematurely end the show.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hopefully CN lets it get that far. We're a good ways into season 4 and judging by the season size now and Rebecca Sugar's episode number, I'm guessing season 6 would be the final season. Again, assuming CN doesn't prematurely end the show.
It's their most critically acclaimed show next to Adventure Time, a merchandising juggernaut, and one of their most valuable shows (advertising wise). Cartoon Network has already made it clear they'll let it go on as long as the show runners want.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's their most critically acclaimed show next to Adventure Time, a merchandising juggernaut, and one of their most valuable shows (advertising wise). Cartoon Network has already made it clear they'll let it go on as long as the show runners want.
I've seen that, but the way they treat releasing and scheduling episodes at times makes it seem like they're aiming for low ratings.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Dr.Mahesharan....is late for something...she's dead isn't she?!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Storm in the Room

tumblr_inline_o0iuo2n3Zl1qdc1r3_500.gif

They are being really coy about how Rose's Room works... but I kind of feel like this episode confirms there is SOMETHING of Rose left. I don't think Steven would have remembered his mom's tape right after that outburst, especially when his reaction later is just to curl up on the couch.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Storm in the Room

View attachment 23329

They are being really coy about how Rose's Room works... but I kind of feel like this episode confirms there is SOMETHING of Rose left. I don't think Steven would have remembered his mom's tape right after that outburst, especially when his reaction later is just to curl up on the couch.
I disagree, as the room is primarily an extension of Steven's memories. The reason Cloud Greg and Cloud Connie in their respective episodes were so life like was because he had so much interaction with them, as for Rose he had all the stories from his family, the video tape, which all added up to becoming a large mental picture. That wasn't Rose telling him the video showed she cared, it was Steven telling him. She said what he felt he needed to hear about his mom, so he could accept the reality he's in as well as the past.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Storm in the Room

View attachment 23329

It was her room, and it made to respond to her essence. Steven does have her gem, which while a part of him, is still the Rose Quartz gem. And if I remember from an earlier Peridot episode, the room can only repeat back to him what it/Steven/Rose already knows, it's possible Rose confessed any feelings she may have had while in her room. Some of it is probably manipulated by Steven's perception, but the room could already know Rose's feelings about past events.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It was her room, and it made to respond to her essence. Steven does have her gem, which while a part of him, is still the Rose Quartz gem. And if I remember from an earlier Peridot episode, the room can only repeat back to him what it/Steven/Rose already knows, it's possible Rose confessed any feelings she may have had while in her room. Some of it is probably manipulated by Steven's perception, but the room could already know Rose's feelings about past events.
Which works for me... like I said, it's SOMETHING of Rose, but that doesn't mean it's sentient. But it would, at the very least, know things that Rose knew and could probably give Steven her take on what happened if he ever REALLY wanted to know.

It also explains why she had no reaction to the video game and a very exaggerated one to the football; she probably didn't have any idea what they were beyond Steven. It's not like they had a TV or anything until Greg came along.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I expect a small part or Rose in all honesty, it feels like MOSTLY Steven. That line about the video tape sounded less like something someone would say about themselves, but more what someone would THINK someone would say about themselves.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Dammit Ronnie, I figured you'd have gotten the basics by now...and why does his voice sound different?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Holy shit, I was wondering when they'd get to the whole "Crystal Gems as Illegal Immigrants" episode and I kind of feel bad that Ronaldo "Straw Conservative" Fryman is getting the dump again.

He's got some wicked subtyping going on there too. "The Crystal Gems aren't Rock People... because I like them so they can't be."

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

YEAH-but it makes sense in retrospect, going from the cartoony conspiracy theory guy to...an actual conspiracy theory guy, in having REALLY offensive beliefs on things. Gonna be hard getting Jane back now after this one.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, that episode wasn't what it appeared to be. Instead of targeting a current topic, it targets a section of the Steven Universe fandom that's been irksome for a long time.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, that episode wasn't what it appeared to be. Instead of targeting a current topic, it targets a section of the Steven Universe fandom that's been irksome for a long time.
And the fandom once again takes it as a personal attack rather than taking it with a sense of humor-OH THE JOYS OF FANDOM!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And the fandom once again takes it as a personal attack rather than taking it with a sense of humor-OH THE JOYS OF FANDOM!
I'm not surprised and those particular fans deserve it. They're paying enough attention to notice the episode was poking fun at them, yet somehow have their heads far enough up their asses to evade self-awareness.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Seriously, especially how this is what would PROBABLY happen if one would try to force themselves into another's story. Instead, one should accept the story they are all ready in, and simply support the pre-existing story in a more supportive manner rather than forceful.

My only problem with the ep is more how they ADVERTISED it. I would've like them to have a real Bloodstone Gem...but at least it wasn't a Gem Beast that Ronaldo popped accidentally, that would've been WAY too obvious. Can't be the only one who had that plot in the back of their minds.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Instead, one should accept the story they are all ready in, and simply support the pre-existing story in a more supportive manner rather than forceful.
I think you hit the nail on the head as to why Reynaldo episodes are those I least want to watch. He's fine as a supporting character, just not a worthwhile focus character, and every time we get an episode about him (which are very few, granted), I wish they were giving him less screen time.

I'm glad they kept saying how much time had passed because none of the transitions made it seem like days/weeks were passing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think you hit the nail on the head as to why Reynaldo episodes are those I least want to watch. He's fine as a supporting character, just not a worthwhile focus character, and every time we get an episode about him (which are very few, granted), I wish they were giving him less screen time.

I'm glad they kept saying how much time had passed because none of the transitions made it seem like days/weeks were passing.
I actually really like the Reynaldo episodes in general... just not this one. The Documentary one was a great parody, the Lighthouse one gave him some much needed characterization (and Lars too), and the original conspiracy episode was surprisingly dark (especially now that we know Reynaldo was right about everything.)

That said, what I'd have preferred is basically what they did with Lars: a day in the life of Reynaldo and Peedee, basically showing how miserable both of them are and that this conspiracy stuff is really just Reynaldo's way of dealing with it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I actually really like the Reynaldo episodes in general... just not this one. The Documentary one was a great parody, the Lighthouse one gave him some much needed characterization (and Lars too), and the original conspiracy episode was surprisingly dark (especially now that we know Reynaldo was right about everything.)

That said, what I'd have preferred is basically what they did with Lars: a day in the life of Reynaldo and Peedee, basically showing how miserable both of them are and that this conspiracy stuff is really just Reynaldo's way of dealing with it.
That would do some character reparation at least.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...anyone else not trusting her at all?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Tiger Philanthropist was the newest episode as far as I know. Is there another out already?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Tiger Philanthropist was the newest episode as far as I know. Is there another out already?
No, that's the latest. This is just one of Cartoon Network's "leaks"... it's already been worked out that they are responsible for most leaks that aren't full episodes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

FUCK YOU NAVY!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Is there a new episode?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Is there a new episode?
'Twas. It was just surrounded by about an hour of Teen Titans Go.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

'Twas. It was just surrounded by about an hour of Teen Titans Go.
Aren't we all?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I thought Pumpkin didn't like Steven.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I thought Pumpkin didn't like Steven.
'Tis a fickle being.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This episode might have my favorite Lapis line ever.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Can I just say how much I fucking love Greg as a character? Like... this show wouldn't work without him.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think we're still on hiatus... but I did notice something funny.

That's promo art for Last One Out of Beach City.

That's promo art for a recent episode of Little Witch Academia. It would appear that Studio Trigger's love of Western Animation goes beyond mere cameos.

Also, Keep Beach City Weird just got released, if you're interested in the Steven Universe books. Buy it, as Ronaldo needs your dimes.

EDIT: Apparently this is from an animator from the show who actually works on both shows?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

In other news, shit's fucked in Beach City!

evilmike

evilmike

Fans of Cartoon Network’s Steven Universe have asked for a compilation of the music that plays such an important role the beloved hit series, and that demand is being answered with Steven Universe Soundtrack: Volume 1, available globally on Friday, June 2, 2017.
The soundtrack will feature songs originally heard in the series’ 120-plus episodes, including the iconic theme song, “We Are the Crystal Gems.”
(TheGeekiary)​

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

In other news, shit's fucked in Beach City!
I think screaming is the right reaction because whathefuckishappening

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Next week's Stevenbomb got dumped onto the CN App early, for those interested.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watched the five episodes.

Oh boy ...

I wonder how long we have to wait for more.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I know, right? Like... this almost feels like they are heading for the series finale but at the same time they aren't anywhere close enough for that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I know, right? Like... this almost feels like they are heading for the series finale but at the same time they aren't anywhere close enough for that.
I think we're headed for a season finale and big moments, but we should still have another two seasons, I think. From a showrunning standpoint, the way I see it:

This will be the first point where the Diamonds are aware of Steven, rather than just Steven aware of them. It'll build some antagonism between them, so whenever we do start getting to the series finale, there will be a strong dynamic between Steven and them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

From what I heard Memorial day, in a one hour special. "Stuck Together" is floating around all through out the net, its good as always.

evilmike

evilmike

Watched the five episodes.

Oh boy ...

I wonder how long we have to wait for more.
Stuck Together is already in the wild.

Also:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll have to look around tomorrow.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Shit is going DOWN on! Yellow has lightning powers, Blue's all full of grief revenge, and whose to save the DAY?! ...Lars....shit is fucked on Earth-SU.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like the next Stevenbomb is Memorial Day, with a one hour special event.

Celt Z

Celt Z

There is one thing that bugged me during the last two episodes:
Why didn't they alert Lapis and Peridot for backup when they knew they were dealing with Homeworld Gems? I know they're not the core group of Crystal Gems, but I thought it was established they were willing to help now that Earth is their "home".

It looks like Steven may really be on his own (okay, Lars, but really) this time. Ruby took the pod, the Homeworld warp is destroyed, I think? (They did undo Peridot's repairs, right? I want to say I remember Garnet and punching...) and Lion has trouble warping further than the moon. Unless Peridot can repair the warps again, the Earth gems are stuck.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Lapis and Peridot aren't near a warp pad. They have to drive out there whenever Steven wants to visit, so it's likely that whatever help is coming from them is going to take a bit... and really, it's Steven's fault that the Gems didn't know what was going on sooner.

That said, they have PLENTY of ships to work with: remember when Peridot went to a crash site and was repairing an older ship to get off the planet? There really isn't any reason they couldn't do that... it would probably be even faster with help from the rest of the Gems. Even if they couldn't, Pearl almost built a working one out of stuff in a BARN herself. And Lapis clearly made it back to Homeworld under her own power before instantly regretting it: she might know of a warp they could use, so they might only need to get part of the way by ship. Then again, didn't the Gems bomb the Galaxy Warp with that Star thing during that episode where Steven was given futurevision? They might not have it up and running yet, which would explain why Homeworld has been using ships.

Now my question is... who's expecting a Steven/Lars (Stars?) fusion? It's bound to happen; Steven is basically the only person Lars can be honest with and Steven's actually lived in his body for awhile.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Lapis and Peridot aren't near a warp pad. They have to drive out there whenever Steven wants to visit, so it's likely that whatever help is coming from them is going to take a bit... and really, it's Steven's fault that the Gems didn't know what was going on sooner.

That said, they have PLENTY of ships to work with: remember when Peridot went to a crash site and was repairing an older ship to get off the planet? There really isn't any reason they couldn't do that... it would probably be even faster with help from the rest of the Gems. Even if they couldn't, Pearl almost built a working one out of stuff in a BARN herself. And Lapis clearly made it back to Homeworld under her own power before instantly regretting it: she might know of a warp they could use, so they might only need to get part of the way by ship. Then again, didn't the Gems bomb the Galaxy Warp with that Star thing during that episode where Steven was given futurevision? They might not have it up and running yet, which would explain why Homeworld has been using ships.

Now my question is... who's expecting a Steven/Lars (Stars?) fusion? It's bound to happen; Steven is basically the only person Lars can be honest with and Steven's actually lived in his body for awhile.
But Lapis can fly, and quite quickly if she could get back to Homeworld as fast as she did, and can easily carry Peridot. She's carried Greg and Steven from out at sea. Distance isn't an issue. There's no reason they couldn't have been there.

While yes, there are remains of previous ships, they haven't successfully repaired one. Pearl's ship broke orbit, but fell apart shortly afterwards. The drill had issues, and wasn't fully successful, either. Peridot was sent back to check on the old tech, but nothing has been fully functional in it's original capacity. That doesn't mean they couldn't if they all work together, but there's no guarantee yet.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Basically what it came down to is they thought this was a job the main team could handle, and didn't think bringing in back-up was necessary. TURNS OUT-they were totally needed. Garnet stinks at strategy, this much we know.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What -I- want to know is why Peridot hasn't made herself a new blaster or something. Or really, why they haven't just TOLD HER where they dumped her limbs. It's right over the side of the Warp Pads and it's not like she'd have any trouble getting them back with Lapis or Garnet helping her.

Or why she hasn't just manifested a weapon yet. It's apparent that everything Homeworld told her about her limitations was a lie.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Once Again:Bad Strategy. They are obsessed with living in the now, the current victory, as well as the continued strategy of trying to simply HIDE from Homeworld rather than amass a friggin' army. I mean come ON-they couldn't ally themselves with the US army equivalent on Earth-SU to develop anti-gem tech?

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think a lot of their existence for the past 6000 years was to stay out of human affairs unless there was something Gem/corrupted Gem related. That, and they still seem to think of humans as "simple creatures", so I don't think it would even occur to them to ask for help.

Since Jasper is M.I.A. and there hasn't been a lot of corrupted action, I don't think it's occurred to Peridot that she should weaponize herself. I think she and Lapis are mostly high on choosing what they can do with themselves. This will probably change if the Crystal Gems tell them about that just happened with Homeworld.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Once Again:Bad Strategy. They are obsessed with living in the now, the current victory, as well as the continued strategy of trying to simply HIDE from Homeworld rather than amass a friggin' army. I mean come ON-they couldn't ally themselves with the US army equivalent on Earth-SU to develop anti-gem tech?

Because Ronaldo has been right about more things than he's been wrong.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think a lot of their existence for the past 6000 years was to stay out of human affairs unless there was something Gem/corrupted Gem related. That, and they still seem to think of humans as "simple creatures", so I don't think it would even occur to them to ask for help.

Since Jasper is M.I.A. and there hasn't been a lot of corrupted action, I don't think it's occurred to Peridot that she should weaponize herself. I think she and Lapis are mostly high on choosing what they can do with themselves. This will probably change if the Crystal Gems tell them about that just happened with Homeworld.
This is true, plus Gems across the board have a bad habit of getting stuck in their ways, Pink died over 6000 years ago and Blue and Yellow are STILL in mourning.

And I as well want Peridot to arm the CGs with an array of blasters because DAMMIT if Rose Quartz had more than one weapon they should to! And no the upgrades don't count, they barely use those IF at all.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The best way to do a show is to have months of nothing, and then run the end of season 4 cliffhanger right up against the start of season 5.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Blah. Missed the last ten minutes because I was sick. Still... uh... this sure went fucking nuts, didn't it?

Celt Z

Celt Z

He Lionized Lars!!!
Well, now the Gems have a backdoor back to Homeworld, but they have to find a way to get Lars home. And it seems I was right, that they wouldn't be able to get the relics up and moving in time. But seriously, where the hell are Lapis and Peridot???

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Blah. Missed the last ten minutes because I was sick. Still... uh... this sure went fucking nuts, didn't it?
When you get the chance, you need to watch the rest. It was wild.

He Lionized Lars!!!
Well, now the Gems have a backdoor back to Homeworld, but they have to find a way to get Lars home. And it seems I was right, that they wouldn't be able to get the relics up and moving in time. But seriously, where the hell are Lapis and Peridot???
I fully accepted Rose having been the culprit. But the only thing hard enough to cut diamond is diamond, right? This could mean a Homeworld civil war.

Also never expected to have an explanation behind Lion, and now ... wow. There's so much they can do with this. They're still on the clock though--lives are in peril. So much insanity.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, he wasn't his brother, but its more satisfying than him being Pink Diamond!

THE TRIAL
DAMN- that Zircon is freaking ASTUTE! Pink Diamond's death DOESN'T make sense if done by Rose Quartz hand. ALSO-while they wouldn't have KNOWN about the sword, Zircon could've used that as more evidence since Bizmuth stated it was made to NEVER shatter a Gem.
OFF COLORS
If this ep don't inspire a billion OCs I don't know WHAT will!
LAR'S HEAD
WELP-*CLAP* Steven is officially Jesus. He can heal the sick, raise the dead, totally Jesus. THEY EVEN FORESHADOWED IT IN THE CHRISTMAS EPISODE! And damn, poor Lars, becomes a straight up Rose Quartz mutant yet is stuck on Homeworld. Well at least he has a bunch of nice old people to hang out with! And HOLY CRAP-Lion's origin IS THAT...he was a lion...who died...and brought back with Rose's tears making him a super lion. But what is the other dimension?!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I won't lie... I started giggling like a crazy man when Steven noticed Lion's Island in the Head Dimension. "Oh no, he is... he is going to be able to go back to Earth though Lar's Heads!? aahahahaha."

I mean we don't know for certain after his change, but Lar's should still technically be "invisible" to the searching bots, so really I would think having all the off-colors with him will actually be more of a hindrance then a help, but hey, Earth is getting a bit crowded with Gems, so can't have to many hanging around. =P

Also we know Lion himself can make portals to teleport all over the Earth, so I am kind of wondering if Lar's will learn that power and be able to teleport himself back someday.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

If he does have portal powers, I don't think he'd be able to reach Earth. Going so far as the moon caused physical strain on Lion .

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If he does have portal powers, I don't think he'd be able to reach Earth. Going so far as the moon caused physical strain on Lion .
Good point, but we also don't know how the portal magic even works. Technically the two are tied together through the head dimension, so the game might change.

P.S.

Seems pretty obvious to me they are setting up one of the other Diamonds being the murderer, and Rose was just a scapegoat since she was battling them for so long. It seems (at least so far) that Blue isn't it, with Yellow being the one hinted as the most likely, though we still have yet to meet White. The fact that Blue was so adamant about hearing how Rose killed Pink, I have a feeling she already knew something was not right with the whole story. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Friend of the show Takafumi Hori did some more Steven Universe/Little Witch Academia fan art.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

SQUARIDOT-Yosh!

evilmike

evilmike

From SDCC:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If this doesn't get Peridot bumped to the opening credits, nothing will.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bingo Bongo bitches.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I went to a Walmart for the first time in forever, and was rewarded for it! I had no idea these were out!
20170815_192406.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New Evil Gem created for the upcoming Steven Universe: Save The Light. She's called Hessonite!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

How dare this topic get bumped without a date for new episodes!

... and now I've done it too. Damn!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

How dare this topic get bumped without a date for new episodes!

... and now I've done it too. Damn!
It's been almost 6 months. We're due another Steven Bomb.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's been almost 6 months. We're due another Steven Bomb.
All of season 5 except for one episode, which will air eight months later when they drop season 6.

evilmike

evilmike

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

PART OF ME-fears Nanefua becoming mayor is a cheap excuse for them not being able to use Joel Hodgsen as much, but hell I'm down!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

A release date.

Finally.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

NEW EPS UP ON THE APP/WEBSITE-checkem out yo!

figmentPez

figmentPez

NEW EPS UP ON THE APP/WEBSITE-checkem out yo!
That would be great... If I could get the website to work.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think my favorite of the bunch we got is the Sadie episode. Very cool... lots of growth for her.

evilmike

evilmike

That would be great... If I could get the website to work.
If you don't mind the episodes being broken up in the parts each, they are available on YouTube.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If you don't mind the episodes being broken up in the parts each, they are available on YouTube.
I found them on DailyMotion, among other places. I just try to watch things legit first, before I resort to methods.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For the folks that don't use the app or other methods, the latest batch starts airing Friday at 7:30pm EST. We're apparently getting an event in January too.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Friday, Jan 5th at 7:30pm EST. New Half hour event.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm looking forward to this and Lars' Galaxy Express 999 fashion choices.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm looking forward to this and Lars' Galaxy Express 999 fashion choices.
I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be Captain Harlock, but he's from the same creator and literally shows up in 999 anyway so...

chris

chris

Somebody must love Leiji Matsumoto and Captain Harlock

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

SWEET SUFFERING SATANIC SUCCOTASH SO MANY QUESTIONS!

figmentPez

figmentPez

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That's a fair point about Ronaldo and Amethyst...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... apparently CN put out a video with massive spoilers for the season finale (which some are specualating is the SERIES FINALE now...). It's gone from the official site but it's still floating around out there and we're probably weeks/months away from the finale, so be on guard if you want to avoid it being ruined for you.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I heard about this and (thankfully) didn't see or hear about the spoiler, but I don't want it to be the series finale. :(

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

YEAH-it...PRETTY MUCH-caused the fandom to explode.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

YEAH-it...PRETTY MUCH-caused the fandom to explode.
I guarantee that someone got fired over this. They didn't just piss off the fans, they pissed off one of the creators of their next wave shows (IJQ of OK KO) who basically confirmed that the entire SU crew are PISSED about how they've been getting treated by the network, especially schedule wise.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Are there new episodes tonight or are these ones we've already seen in the last batch, such as Letters to Lars?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are there new episodes tonight or are these ones we've already seen in the last batch, such as Letters to Lars?
New. It's...

- Can't Go Back
- A Single Pale Rose

Should be good!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd advise folks to watch these two new ones sooner rather than later. Just sayin'.

Celt Z

Celt Z

"WHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.?!?!"

YES!!!!!! Now, why must we wait for summer?!?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH-I will rub the events of tonight's episode in SO many StevenWiki people's faces!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

tumblr_p8eeb2DUuo1smn4pqo1_1280.png

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

After the first episode, a preview for the second episode tried to ruin it, but fortunately I didn't hear. Cartoon Network needs to get their shit together.

figmentPez

figmentPez

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New Stevenbomb hits July 2nd. 5 nights, so at least 5 episodes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I know Ruby and Sapphire get back together in the end...because CN SPOILED it but-OH THE DRAMA!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New trailer for the event.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I was catching up OK KO! Let's Be Heroes and noticed there's literally a character called Koala Princess at Point Prep. Isn't that Ronaldo's favorite anime? Just thought it was a funny cross-over.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"Now we're only falling apart"

I am half-relieved....but half-anxietous-
while Pearl SAID Rose Diamond didn't want the abduction of humans to happen, Rose ALSO told her to never stop imagining, so what Pearl's memories are all LIES and she doesn't know it?! GRAH-this show I tells ya!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

A total ecliiiiiiiiiiiiipse of the heart!

chris

chris

"Now we're only falling apart"

I am half-relieved....but half-anxietous-
while Pearl SAID Rose Diamond didn't want the abduction of humans to happen, Rose ALSO told her to never stop imagining, so what Pearl's memories are all LIES and she doesn't know it?! GRAH-this show I tells ya!
Haven't watched the episode but...

maybe the abduction was Roses' backup plan. To make sure some humans survive at a save place.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sooooo, as I said in the Animation thread, my friend got me hooked on the show. I was slow to get hooked at first, but the show grew on me. Unlike Adventure Time, which I couldn't get into, the character and world building really drew me in here. Mysteries were slowly paid off. It all felt incredibly organic. Background details and little tidbits become important along the way. So much so that I'm tempted to re-watch everything just to find the little details.

Some stuff annoyed me, like literally ANYTHING involving Renaldo. Seriously, fuck that guy. I go blind rolling my eyes every time he shows up. The past season or two didn't really see a lot of development for Garnet, Amethyst, or Pearl, focusing more on Lapis, Peridot, the space stuff, etc. I feel like they kind of got sidelined. But the big revelation looks like that'll change things.

The Captain Lars stuff is a fun idea in theory, but to be honest, it's not really doing it for me. I don't find the rebel gems all that interesting and the "delayed future vision" gag got old fast.

Speaking of Lars, I still don't understand what exactly him and Lion are or why they work the way they do.

But HOLY SHIT, that revelation. It raises so many new questions! It does explain why Steven is so danged powerful, though.

But...

If Pink Diamond wasn't shattered, why does Steven's gem look different? From everything I've seen, gems can't transform their gem's form unlike their physical forms. And Steven's very existence still confuses me, like how the process of creating a new human between a human and a gem exactly works. I don't recall there being any hints that it's even possible.

Sooooo yeah, I'm goddamn hooked and kinda regret not getting into this show sooner.

evilmike

evilmike

If Pink Diamond wasn't shattered, why does Steven's gem look different?[/QUOTE].

The gem in question is shaped like this:

The difference is the difference between the top and side views

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Some stuff annoyed me, like literally ANYTHING involving Renaldo. Seriously, fuck that guy. I go blind rolling my eyes every time he shows up.
Here's the thing though: aside from the Sneeple stuff, all of Ronaldo's conspiracy theories were correct and that's absolutely hilarious. And I feel like Ronaldo was way more fun when he didn't feel like an expression of the writer's frustration with the worst of the show's fans. I feel like the "Bloodstone" episode was necessary, but also ruined Ronaldo completely by turning him from a crazy but fun character with his own issues into an alt-right douchebag. I feel like we're never going to get any resolution of the stuff between him and Lars now, because he's been kind of tainted by the actions in that episode.

Speaking of Lars, I still don't understand what exactly him and Lion are or why they work the way they do.
We're going to need to see another Lars or Rose flashback centric episode before we can begin to get an answer to that. There's still that big chest in the Pink Space inside of Lion and Lars, so it's a good guess that if we're ever going to get a straight answer on it than the answer is there because the Gems have made it clear they don't know how it works ether.

And Steven's very existence still confuses me, like how the process of creating a new human between a human and a gem exactly works. I don't recall there being any hints that it's even possible.
When the subject of "adult" fan art was brought up to Ian Jones Quartey, after mentioning his disapproval of it (this is a kids show after all), he kind of mentioned that some of the talks they've had the writers table involving the show were way, way, WAY more disgusting than anything a fan has asked him about the characters so he really shouldn't be one to talk to about it. Take that as you will in regards to this topic.

I will mention that the second birthday episode for Steven (His 14th?) had Amethyst mention that stretching a Gem's body into a shape and function it's not supposed to be in for too long not only isn't a good thing to do but can have serious consequences. I imagine the only reason Amethyst can do it is because of how she was made, none of other Gems have come close to making something like a functioning helicopter, let alone keep their changes going for more than a few minutes. So if Rose had to do something like that to form Steven (by making a womb and all that) then it's also probably part of why she's not around anymore.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If Pink Diamond wasn't shattered, why does Steven's gem look different?

The gem in question is shaped like this:

The difference is the difference between the top and side views[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I realized that later today when I gave it more thought. It's a great bit of misdirection.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Glad you're caught up! Now enjoy this week's five episodes and wait patiently with us during the next three to six month hiatus. :awesome: No, I'm really not kidding.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Glad you're caught up! Now enjoy this week's five episodes and wait patiently with us during the next three to six month hiatus. :awesome: No, I'm really not kidding.
Heh, pretty good timing to reach where I ended just as new episodes were coming out. :D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Heh, pretty good timing to reach where I ended just as new episodes were coming out. :D
Definitely! It's just frustrating for me to think of how the Garnet fusion reveal was over three years ago.

evilmike

evilmike

Yeah, I realized that later today when I gave it more thought. It's a great bit of misdirection.
They do cheat a bit given that the gem isn't shaped like the others of its kind.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

THE FUCKING COWBOY JOKE HAPPENED?!

That alone made this episode worth it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

EVEN though the promos and episode titles spoiled this through context it was STILL adorable!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This episode won't even be able to air in some countries.

Ruby is so cute.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This episode won't even be able to air in some countries.

Ruby is so cute.
Neither will the next one, if what I suspect is happening is happening.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Woooooo! What a rush!

Now give us more episodes!!!

I want to see what life with the Diamonds is like! But this does still leave the mystery of White Diamond...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This.Ep.Had. EVERYTHING!

The first FULL ON kiss between a GAY married couple, the emergence of the Cluster as a friendly arm, that BAD ASS fight between the CGs and the Diamonds, Lapis getting poofed because HAHA-karma bitch, it was AWESOME!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This.Ep.Had. EVERYTHING!

The first FULL ON kiss between a GAY married couple, the emergence of the Cluster as a friendly arm, that BAD ASS fight between the CGs and the Diamonds, Lapis getting poofed because HAHA-karma bitch, it was AWESOME!
Expect Lapis and Peridot to come back with a star integrated into their outfits like the rest of the Crystal Gems. This was a long time coming for Peridot and has been hinted at for over a year by her voice actress. Maybe we can get a new intro now too, with ALL of the Crystal Gems?

Also, it has become apparent why Bismuth REALLY returned: Steven and Connie need a new sword now... maybe she can do something Peridot too? Maybe make her some new limb extensions? Fuck, the Diamonds could do that now too, if this is really going to about them becoming friendly to Earth. 2-to-1, the reason White Diamond isn't around anymore is because she's absolutely bug fuck crazy now and the reason Blue and Yellow wanted the cluster was to fight HER with it.

Alright, see you guys same time next year...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yes, I am SO down with Bismuth going full blacksmith for the team!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm stunned at how exciting everything was from start to finish.

The song at the start--I've said many times, Steven is an amazing kid.

I cried through the whole wedding, and I loved there being silly goof-ups because that kind of stuff happens at real weddings, makes it real and personal, and kids getting to see that from a young age can hopefully help break the Perfect Flawless Wedding mindset. Also loved the turn on expectations by having Ruby in the dress and Sapphire in the tux. The whole thing was so sweet and lovely.

All the stuff after, just ... geez. The Cluster fight, the mind stuff, the Pink wave.

It's going to be so frustrating waiting for new episodes.

Alright, see you guys same time next year...
Too real.

figmentPez

figmentPez

How does Steven fit such a giant heart inside his tiny body?

"Reunited" literally left me gasping for air at the end of the episode. I was so emotional I couldn't breathe right.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Apparently that's from the Craig of the Creek staff to the Steven Universe staff.