[TV] Steven Universe (spoilers)

Really, it's been generally awful since Rebecca Sugar came out as bisexual at ComicCon, but toss abusive relationships into the mix? OH boy.

I was honestly not aware she wasn't out already, and the episode highlighted that there are all kinds of unhealthy relationships, so isn't this the kind of thing Tumblr usually champions?

Tumblr and it's habits are something I'm peripherally aware of, but I don't actually wade into it myself, so I could be wrong.

I was honestly not aware she wasn't out already, and the episode highlighted that there are all kinds of unhealthy relationships, so isn't this the kind of thing Tumblr usually champions?

Tumblr and it's habits are something I'm peripherally aware of, but I don't actually wade into it myself, so I could be wrong.
That's funny; I'd always just assumed she was too.

As for Tumblr, they're not getting after Lapis and Jasper. They're attacking Steven for not giving Jasper a chance, that he never gives anyone a chance, and puts anyone he likes on a pedestal. You know, because it's been long enough ago for these knuckleheads to completely forget Peridot wasn't always the adorable freak who lived in a barn.[DOUBLEPOST=1469832688,1469832604][/DOUBLEPOST]Argh, you guys got me into it!

I believe that the day we get the final part of that song is the day Greg talks to Steven about why Rose and him decided to have him... it's clear that after this episode that part of the reason why Rose wanted to have Steven was to create a Gem that was free of the system that would dictate everything he did from the moment he was born and thus could grow into a truer, more well developed person, but what we don't know is WHY she came to believe this was necessary.

Unfortunately, it feels like the only way we could get the full details on that is by ether having the crew making a full disconnected, Rose focused episode about her time before Earth or by having Steven relive it via her Gem (which raises the whole 'Rose is still around' problem that I REALLY hope never comes up). Is this what the upcoming half hour special is going to be though...

... but what we don't know is WHY she came to believe this was necessary.
Unfortunately, it feels like the only way we could get the full details on that is by ether having the crew making a full disconnected, Rose focused episode about her time before Earth or by having Steven relive it via her Gem ...
I don't see why they'd have to do it that way. This feels like something she would have discussed with the Gems, or at least, Greg. They've all been in the habit of revealing information when they think Steven can handle it (or waiting until he outright asks). And knowing Steven, it may never occurred to him to ask why he exists.

I don't know too many people who ask their parents why they had kids.

"So why'd you make me?"
"We were really drunk."

Really I think Rose wanted to experience what all life on Earth does, in the only way a gem possibly could. She might not have even known this was going to work until the human part and gem part began to grow together inside her shapeshifted womb (if that theory is correct--we may never know). She would've had to deeply study human anatomy to make everything just right, but even human and human pairings aren't a sure thing.

Part of me wonders if she knew from the beginning that she and Steven couldn't co-exist, or if it was something she only realized later upon discovery that her gem was attached to him, and chose him over herself.

I think they were Quartz types, possibly Ocean Jasper and Crazy Lace Agate. I'm hoping she tries to train them to fuse into a SUPER corrupted Gem, and yes that would mean their psyches would be really messed up during but...IT'D JUST LOOK SO COOL!

And damn straight she does, girl's fucking 12 and all ready talking humanity's demise. Goin' straight up Lisa Simpson there.

I think they were Quartz types, possibly Ocean Jasper and Crazy Lace Agate. I'm hoping she tries to train them to fuse into a SUPER corrupted Gem, and yes that would mean their psyches would be really messed up during but...IT'D JUST LOOK SO COOL!
But can you fuse with a Gem without their consent? The Gems always insisted you had to be in-sync, but the first fusion of Ruby and Sapphire might make that debatable. And if she finds a way, does this mean she'd go after the cluster? Because that would be bad. Like, Egon's Twinkie-bad.

Connie has manuals.
:D

But can you fuse with a Gem without their consent? The Gems always insisted you had to be in-sync, but the first fusion of Ruby and Sapphire might make that debatable. And if she finds a way, does this mean she'd go after the cluster? Because that would be bad. Like, Egon's Twinkie-bad.
I've honestly been thinking she'd go that route for QUITE a while, like fall to the center of the Earth, try to fuse with the cluster...and then get ejected out and cry. Well...probably not cry, she's an old school quartz!

I'm guessing the eventual path of this is that Jasper is going to get semi-corrupted somehow and Steven ends up saving her... I don't know if she'd join the team (Lapis would have something to say about that) but I could see her going all Protoman and showing up when she's needed.

I'm guessing the eventual path of this is that Jasper is going to get semi-corrupted somehow and Steven ends up saving her... I don't know if she'd join the team (Lapis would have something to say about that) but I could see her going all Protoman and showing up when she's needed.
I'm hoping she becomes either this show's Vegeta or Piccolo myself, but I'm cool with whatever. EITHER WAY-she's probably gonna become an ally what with all the promo material she's in.

That. Was. AWESOME!!!

While my heart is kinda breaking for Amethyst, watching Stevonnie and Lion take on Jasper was GREAT!

(And sorry, Sadie! But Steven and Connie paid for everything.)

She seemed concerned that there were two of them. I'm not sure, from her reaction, if she's worried about two monsters, or she recognizes the gems.
I'm betting she was worried about two monsters, since she heard Jasper caught both of them.

And yes that fight kicked ASS!

I know Connie and Steven were giving Amethyst credit for their ability to get into the fight, but it should be noted that it's through Pearl that they knew what to do once they got there. It took a lot of training from one and a little pep talk from the other.

I guess Jasper's goal here is the same as when she got to Earth, to defeat Rose Quartz. I'm pretty sure if Rose was still around, Jasper would've been entirely outmatched. I'm not surprised she doesn't find it weird Steven could fuse with a human; she hasn't learned how different humans are from gems.

I would call them thorns, since they seem to fit with the Rose Quartz theme. But yeah, that was a surprise.
And they work great as a combo attack with Amethyst: she can swing him around like a flail.

If anything, we've learned how TOUGH Steven actually is. Amethyst yanked him down into solid stone from at least 30-40 feet in the air and he walked it off. If that had been Greg or Connie, they'd have broken something at the very least.

And they work great as a combo attack with Amethyst: she can swing him around like a flail.

If anything, we've learned how TOUGH Steven actually is. Amethyst yanked him down into solid stone from at least 30-40 feet in the air and he walked it off. If that had been Greg or Connie, they'd have broken something at the very least.
With that, SHOULD they point out his super strength by now? I mean, is it just accepted?

For a show FULL of tense episodes, that's easily the tense it's ever been. Lots of stuff to talk about too, including the confirmation of a few things with Rose. The fans are gonna be NUTS this weekend.

WELL-I kinda hate Rose now. Granted Bizmuth was wrong arguably, but holy SHIT to lie about what happened to her? One of the ORIGINAL Crystal Gems?! That's...that's just cruel.

EDIT: ALSO-keep a third eye open tomorrow, the next episode airs in Canada but not the states...because CN is run by crazy people.

Last edited:
WELL-I kinda hate Rose now. Granted Bizmuth was wrong arguably, but holy SHIT to lie about what happened to her? One of the ORIGINAL Crystal Gems?! That's...that's just cruel.
I get why she did it; if the lives of her soldiers were worth saving, so were the lives of their enemies. And Bismuth would have just taken her pilebunker and waged a one man war if she had to. But yeah, this really just confirms that Rose isn't the walking saint that everyone claims she was. She was willing to protect the lives of her enemies, but she wasn't willing to even tell her friends that she locked Bismuth up.

What if she's not the only one? That's chilling because there's a very real chance that the others will never be found.

I did find it interesting that Rose was made on Earth though. A rank and file soldier... and yet her shield could withstand the assault of a Diamond. Yeah, there is something on Earth that makes Gems powerful and she's hide it.

I get why she did it; if the lives of her soldiers were worth saving, so were the lives of their enemies. And Bismuth would have just taken her pilebunker and waged a one man war if she had to. But yeah, this really just confirms that Rose isn't the walking saint that everyone claims she was. She was willing to protect the lives of her enemies, but she wasn't willing to even tell her friends that she locked Bismuth up.

What if she's not the only one? That's chilling because there's a very real chance that the others will never be found.

I did find it interesting that Rose was made on Earth though. A rank and file soldier... and yet her shield could withstand the assault of a Diamond. Yeah, there is something on Earth that makes Gems powerful and she's hide it.
Worst part about her secret-having is that her soldiers saw this as a PLUS, when we finally see....yeah there's a negative.

They were willing to leave Peridot bubbled in the Burning room FOREVER, there's a high chance there are a lot of uncorrupted Gems in there.

Either that or...she's not JUST a quartz. Either she's Pink Diamond, or a super Quartz, because COME ON!