[TV] Steven Universe (spoilers)

I'ma just say it though...can one really call this an "Event"? It was like just, five normal back to back episodes. Honestly it felt more like it ended in the middle than the actual ending.

EITHER WAY-I need more of the Ruby rangers.
It is an event in the sense that we finally got more Steven Universe episodes, but really those two episodes should've been the end of the last set, not the start of this one. Felt kinda anti-climactic this way, though will be better on rewatching. I don't blame the people doing the show; I blame Cartoon Network.

It is an event in the sense that we finally got more Steven Universe episodes, but really those two episodes should've been the end of the last set, not the start of this one. Felt kinda anti-climactic this way, though will be better on rewatching. I don't blame the people doing the show; I blame Cartoon Network.
Especially since the rest of the episodes are much lighter. We could have used the last 4 as "Steven Summer of Fun" considering how light they've been and then used the last slot for something heavier.

I may have gone over-board with the Steven blind-box minis today. I regret nothing.
SUmini01.jpg SUmini02.jpg

And then things got silly...
SUDWminifight.jpg
"It's Pocket Universe vs. Tiny Dynasty! Which mini team will reign supreme?!?"

...supposed to be June freakin' 30th but whatever.

I heard it goes into August, so theoretically we could get 15 episodes! One...wonders why they can't air them in a NORMAL fashion but here we are.

I mean, a TEN MILLION DOLLAR CHECK?! How much squandering did he DO with Greg's music for his lawyers to make him carry that check? Apparently enough that he'd have to resort to marketing a terrible avocado soda.

Apparently he made a killing with Greg's music, but now he's had to pony up. I'm curious if it'll get pissed away somehow to maintain the status quo or if anything will change from it.

Nice to see Steven's gem strength coming in.

I can't believe we've got new episodes every weekday for over a month. It's going to be crazy keeping up.

Apparently he made a killing with Greg's music, but now he's had to pony up. I'm curious if it'll get pissed away somehow to maintain the status quo or if anything will change from it.

Nice to see Steven's gem strength coming in.

I can't believe we've got new episodes every weekday for over a month. It's going to be crazy keeping up.
I would imagine most of it gets pissed away, but I'd be glad if Greg didn't have to live in a fucking van anymore. So I'm sure we get a cautionary tale, but I wouldn't be surprised if this affects stuff a little.

I'm wondering if that throw away line about the "deed to my uncle's house" ever comes up again now.

After years of TRYING to make things work, Pearl really did owe this to Greg. Glad to see Guitar Dad and Bird Mom getting along.

I'm also glad she acknowledged that this shouldn't have been going on so long, but I think it was talked about on here that in gem time, it's as if Rose just died recently.

I was thinking about all Rose would've had to do to have Steven being a half-human. Shape-shifting all the necessary organics, down to a cellular level, out of whatever hard light the gems' bodies form from, and then that combining on a permanent basis to form Steven's DNA, his chromosomes, and her having to stay shapeshifted like that for the months it took Steven to form (or hell, considering how his body functions, it could've been longer than usual) ... thinking about the details of all that really drives home Garnet's comment in season 1 that there's never been anything like Steven before.

This fuckin' NEEDED to happen and Steven was a smart well-meaning manipulator-ESPECIALLY-since he's clearly no dummy about Pearl's feelings towards Rose.

PLUS-I'd say an expensive site in New York is WAY more effective therapy than...well ACTUAL therapy.

This fuckin' NEEDED to happen and Steven was a smart well-meaning manipulator-ESPECIALLY-since he's clearly no dummy about Pearl's feelings towards Rose.

PLUS-I'd say an expensive site in New York is WAY more effective therapy than...well ACTUAL therapy.
Pearl saying they could've done this at home is wrong. There were too many memories there; they needed to go somewhere else.

That said, they did not spend $10 million on a single night, so the show better not pull that shit.

Steven: "You could buy a house."
Greg, fucking listen to your son. He's smarter than you.

Pearl saying they could've done this at home is wrong. There were too many memories there; they needed to go somewhere else.

That said, they did not spend $10 million on a single night, so the show better not pull that shit.

Steven: "You could buy a house."
Greg, fucking listen to your son. He's smarter than you.
I don't think he does, I'm betting he'll have his fortune until the end of the season.

And he don't need no house, HE GOT A VAN! And also a privately run business with an office inside that he can just put a bed in, but he likes van sleep!

Yeah, this is a good one. Probably the best in a while, which is odd because there hasn't been a bad episode in ages.

Thought: So modern Gems aren't made with powers? I think we can trust Peridot when she says that much (or that at least that's what she was told). And yet Peridot developed some while on Earth? Not just a power, but a power we haven't seen another Gem use. This makes me think of two things...

- The Diamonds are lying and all modern Gems DO have powers, but never learn to use them because they rely on technology instead. This is done intentionally to prevent another uprising.
OR
- There is something on Earth that lets Gems become more than they are (Maybe humans play a role in this?) and THIS is what Rose wanted to protect. Maybe she saw the future of Gems on Earth and that's why she was willing to sacrifice herself to make Steven.

I am SUPER mixed on which of those theories I like more. One makes me hope for Peridot to start an uprising with all her Peridot sisters, while the other makes Earth even MORE special than it looks and puts some SLIGHT suspicion on Rose.

- There is something on Earth that lets Gems become more than they are (Maybe humans play a role in this?) and THIS is what Rose wanted to protect. Maybe she saw the future of Gems on Earth and that's why she was willing to sacrifice herself to make Steven.
There'd be no need for that if they just let the gems eat up Earth, then go to another world and eat that up.

I'd have to dig through my Tumblr archives to find it, but there's a length essay, with notes of episodes to back it up, that because of the orderly nature of Homeworld, with gem qualities largely decided by their make, Rose became attached to the biological diversity of Earth, something she apparently hadn't encountered before and felt was precious and needed protecting.

Your first theory sounds more accurate--either the Diamonds believed the newer gems were inferior because they displayed no evident powers, or they told them so.

Watched some promos for upcoming episodes. Now I wish I can unwatch them and enjoy the episodes without knowing what to come.

Well *CLAP* that was...insanely predictable.
Maybe, but I enjoyed the fact that basically no one but Sadie was apologetic at all for liking Steven!Lars more than Lars.

"Wait, so I acted weird all day... and you all liked it?!"

Yes, Lars. Yes. Because you're an asshole and treat people like shit. You KNOW that you're an asshole and treat people like shit. Why are you surprised?

Really, if I found ANYTHING surprising this episode, it's the fact that Lars has seemingly forgiven Sadie for trapping him on an island for weeks. WHY has no one called her out on that?

Heh, yeah he is a prick, HOPE-fully this will at least be the START of development for Lars.
Or more likely he vanishes for another chunk of episodes.

I purposely haven't watched any promos, but largely because people warned me they were somewhat spoilery. We've got weeks of episodes ahead, no need to rush it. If anything, they're coming too fast for Tumblr to properly dissect each one and turn every scene into reaction gifs. I need Peridot saying "Why would anyone document this?" but the whole machine is overwhelmed.

Tonight on Steven Universe, the only time CG should be used in a 2D animated cartoon-DRIFT RACING!

ALSO
Kevin is a sad strange little man, and he has my pity.