[Movies] Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER THREAD!

Another thing I thought of, "the force awakens" refers to Rey, when Kylo did the mind meld with her, something happened that awakened her power. Even Snoke can feel it, saying there's been an awakening.

What if Rey's natural ability isn't from absorbing some of Kylo's knowledge, but is because she is the reincarnation of a past Jedi. She could be the reincarnation of Obi Wan, or if she does turn out to be Luke's daughter, could be the reincarnation of Anakin. That would lead to some pretty interesting plot points, with Kylo squaring off against the return of the very person he idolizes, and Luke again trying to redeem his father by training her. I mean, it worked in Legend of Korra.

Rey has a very clear vision of Vader and Luke's history, combined with glimpses of her own past, when she first touches Anakin's/Luke's saber, so it's heavily implied she's tied with them somehow.

They way I took it is she's super dooper force sensitive, and being sensitive to the force she was able to pick up on the history that's associated with that saber. Kinda sorta analogous to the physical areas the emanate Dark Force, and the visions they show (Luke's cave on Dagobah).

or it could be that that exact lightsaber was present during some of the most dramatic moments for Luke and Anakin
This is a good point, because recycling litesabers isn't how things are supposed to go. A Jedi is supposed to make their own litesaber, but in this series we've had Luke carrying Anakin's baggage, and now Rei is carrying both of theirs.

Hopefully in the next movie she'll get to make her own.[DOUBLEPOST=1450637241,1450637121][/DOUBLEPOST]
Another thing I thought of, "the force awakens" refers to Rey, when Kylo did the mind meld with her, something happened that awakened her power. Even Snoke can feel it, saying there's been an awakening.

What if Rey's natural ability isn't from absorbing some of Kylo's knowledge, but is because she is the reincarnation of a past Jedi. She could be the reincarnation of Obi Wan, or if she does turn out to be Luke's daughter, could be the reincarnation of Anakin. That would lead to some pretty interesting plot points, with Kylo squaring off against the return of the very person he idolizes, and Luke again trying to redeem his father by training her. I mean, it worked in Legend of Korra.
Is reincarnation a thing in Star Wars? Having not read much of the EU, the only afterlife stuff I'm familiar with is Jedi ghosts.

Just got back from SW and I'm soooooo happy. For one thing, they finally remembered to include women in Star Wars! Not just Rey and Leia, but as pilots, in the First Order, in the Resistance...even if they didn't talk a lot, it was something that was hard for a life-long female Star Wars fan and this was a great change. And speaking of Rey, I would love her to be Luke's kid, although since they're hinting so strongly in that direction, I wouldn't be shocked if it's misdirection. But before the EU, Rey was everything the little girl in me wanted. If we couldn't be Princess Leia when we were playing "make-believe" as kid, Rey is a dream come true.

For me, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford KILLED it in every scene they were together. So much emotion in such short conversations.

I knew Kylo Ren (Or as Mr. Z calls him, "Darth Ben") was going to kill Han as soon as Han went after him. Dammit. But it does explain why Ford was willing to come back.

I'm hoping we get more from General Phasma. She's already said more than Boba Fett did in 3 movies, and everyone loved him. :rolleyes: (I'm honestly more disappointed in Darth Maul than General Phasma.)

I like a lot of the speculation on here about why the Ren/Rey Force battle went the way it did, and if I can add my own theory: we don't know what happened with Rey before she was left on Jakku, but obviously she wasn't a baby and from the looks of it, she was in contact with Luke (even if she didn't know who he was). Whether she's Luke's daughter, or he found her because he felt her Force-sensitivity, it's possible he was already training her without her knowing. As stupid as this might sound, if you remember Mr. Miyagi teaching Daniel basics of karate when he was washing cars, you never know if Luke was telling her how to control her emotions without her realizing why he was doing it. Also, if Luke was hiding himself because he realized how important he was as the remaining Jedi, it would make a little sense that he wouldn't want to drag a child into hiding, too. Given what happened to Ren, and Luke feels guilty he wasn't able to prevent that, he may not have wanted Snoke to get his hands on Rey, too.

EDIT: Almost forgot! I loved Finn! I thought he was something the Prequels were missing that the OT had: humor.

Last edited:
The Good:
  • The new characters. They were all surprisingly well developed and not just rehashes of the original cast, even if they were filling some of the same roles.
  • Kylo Ren's unfinished arc. I thought it was well done, and that Abrams did a great job demonstrating his lack of control/anger
  • Entirely new planets.
  • No
  • Trash-can droid showed up twice.
  • Storm troopers backing away when Kylo Ren started one of his tantrums
The Bad:
  • It felt like 2 scripts were merged together. I felt like the Star Killer Planet thing was ill-defined and just kind of thrown in there because they realized the search for Luke wasn't going to make for a satisfying movie by itself.
  • The First Order and the Republic approved Resistence makes absolutely zero sense.
& The Ugly:
  • There were some weird internal inconsistencies. Like showing us exactly how to turn on the light saber, then having Rey turn it on with her hand nowhere near the button. (I know, I know, the force. But that's just an excuse).
  • Why wouldn't you just build multiple Death Stars? They're much smaller, more efficient, and portable.

Why wouldn't you just build multiple Death Stars? They're much smaller, more efficient, and portable.
I thought this was going to be a plot point and was surprised when it wasn't. You'd think by now they'd know to have multiple battle stations so if they lose one they're not screwed. I guess First Order funds aren't as high as we thought.

I think as a modern Star Wars it worked really well. The use of 3D in many cases was awe inspiring and something SW nerds have been looking forward to since 3D was invented.

The acting and humour was solid across all actors, there was not one cringe worthy moment among any of the real actors. The CGI characters like the orange thing and Snoke varied between decent and 'Why couldn't they have used a real person instead?'

My largest issue coming out of the movie was it being a complete retread of Episode 4. Abrams is so cautious in his movie making, especially ST and SW, that he hews a little too closely to established tropes. It'll be interesting to see how closely Ep 4 and Ep 7 align when played right next to each other; from the beginnings on a sand planet all the way to EXTREEEEM DEATH STAR-KILLER BASE.

Gf enjoyed it immensely which I saw as indicative of its broad demographic appeal.

A moment I liked: Fin giving BB-8 a thumbs up and BB-8 flashing back with a lighter. It happened so fast and the scene didn't pause that you could blink and miss it, but it got a big laugh.
It was right after Finn's deadpan "Droid, please." I loved all the interactions between Finn, Rey, and BB-8. I wish Abrams had spent as much time setting up that planet thing as he did Kylo Ren.

Went to see it. LOVED it.

A few things, R2-D2 being dormant until that end scene was built in from the beginning of the film, I got the impression that the scene that was a flashback to Kylo Ren turning on the Jedi was specifically to show Luke doing, well, something to R2. I feel like it was completely intentional that he reactivate when he did, when the "force awoke" in Rey. You'll also notice that at the end of Rey's lightsaber flash, Luke said "it's time , come find me" or something to that effect.

He's been biding his time and gathering his power. Also, who else could have created a map to Luke other than Luke?

Don't think so. They mentioned the name of the system that was destroyed and it wasn't Coruscant.
Did they? I heard the Resistance system and Order systems named, but not the Republic's system. Plus, I thought Coruscant was the planet, not the system, though I'm sure somewhere Corscant's system name is documented.

Did they? I heard the Resistance system and Order systems named, but not the Republic's system. Plus, I thought Coruscant was the planet, not the system, though I'm sure somewhere Corscant's system name is documented.

I think it started with an N or an H.... ah I found it:

" General Hux ordered the base to fire on the capital of the New Republic, Hosnian Prime, and four other planets in the Hosnian system, utterly destroying the planets and the New Republic's fleet."

And

"The Hosnian system was a star system in the Core Worlds that was under the control of the New Republic thirty years after the Battle of Endor. The capital planet of the system, Hosnian Prime,[1] and four other planets were destroyed by the First Order's Starkiller Base.[2]The system was home to the Republic's new capital,[1] and hosted its fleets, all of which were destroyed upon the firing of the Starkiller superweapon, leaving the Resistance without the aid of its primary official backer. The destruction of the system was witnessed by all those at Maz Kanata's castle, on Takodana, and Finn immediately informed the others that it was the doing of the First Order"

Thats purely my speculation.

Though it was pretty clear that this movie from marketing to the finished product was a big apology for the prequels.

Max Landis can be a pretentious, boisterous prick sometimes, but he does raise some good points here.

I couldn't finish the video after he stated the crux of is argument is he doesn't know what the term "Mary Sue" means. I also have no idea who this guy is.

However, it did explain why I saw a bombardment of tweets elsewhere complaining about the misuse of "Mary Sue", so mystery solved!

Max Landis can be a pretentious, boisterous prick sometimes, but he does raise some good points here.

Ironic coming from the biggest fan of the biggest Gary Stu of all time ;)

I just think that the idea that Mary Sue characters are always horrible is stupid to begin with.

I like Max Landis, but I disagree with this video.

Is Rey good at everything? Yeah, but I'm ok with that. I mentioned that all of the lightsaber fights in the prequels were just dumb fights, and all of the fights in the originals were always something else going on. In this movie, that battle was more than just a battle. Rey was discovering her power, finding out what she can do, stretching her limits. Her opposite, Kylo, is discovering his limitations for the first time. Rey had never known what it was like to be powerful before, and Kylo had never known what it was like to face someone that could oppose him, having become so used to being the only space wizard around. It was a defining moment for both of them.

I couldn't finish the video after he stated the crux of is argument is he doesn't know what the term "Mary Sue" means. I also have no idea who this guy is.

However, it did explain why I saw a bombardment of tweets elsewhere complaining about the misuse of "Mary Sue", so mystery solved!
Honestly, I don't even know what the proper term is. I was under the impression it was a character who was the best at everything over everyone else and was pretty much perfect. Batman's been called a Mary Sue, for example. And I mean, going by that definition, he has a point: Rey is amazing at several things, like suddenly piloting the Millennium Falcon or even knowing how to repair it better than Han Solo, etc.

Seems like even TV Trops can't even come to a decision on what a Mary Sue is:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

I mean, she said she had worked on the Falcon a lot before, and using the force to help with flying is nothing new (Luke and Anakin being examples).

The Star Wars universe has it's share of flaws, but it's a strange argument to make, considering she didn't do anything Luke or Anakin didn't do previously. She proved to be a competent pilot (Poe was considered the best), but she had knowledge of the Falcon and spent a good chunk of her life working with mechanics. She seemed to grasp parts of the Force pretty quickly, but so did Luke after, what, 24 hours with Obi-wan? As I've stated above, we still don't know if she ever had Force training before, but we'll see. As for her fight with Ren, Ren's pretty young as well, so even if he's had training, it may not have been for that long. We've had two trilogies that have established it isn't unusual for a (lead) character to have these traits, so why is it a problem when Rey does?

I know nothing about Max Landis, so I can't say. I think it's fair someone to say "I have a problem with Star Wars because everything seems to come easily to the lead", but I think there's more at play when someone has a problem with Rey doing it, but not Anakin or Luke.