Space Engineers

GasBandit

Staff member
The fact that it got a patch at all is heartening though.
And the idea behind it was really good. This game really needed an ownership/faction system for multiplayer. I had to be super careful before this just so my turrets wouldn't shoot ME.

Lunatic Mode is so fucking frustrating though. Getting out of the starter missions alone made me say "FUCK IT!" more than once.
True ... unless you're willing to let someone die. I can manipulate Frederick to take the brunt of the assaults, but last time I tried, no battle went without a casualty, and I did give up before chapter 3.

I might continue this playthrough, just treat my main like Frederick. It's just frustrating that the game is either pathetically easy or 3DS-snapping difficult.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I set it to casual on my 3rd attempt on Lunatic. Still gave up in frustration because RNG would not go my way.

Am playing on a German server now,since the Ping for American servers ist too damn high.

Build a base inside an doughnut asteroid. fortified it with 4 gatling guns who are attached to my assembler/refinery. Was mining in my tug when 2 griefers spawned and tried to ram me and my base to smithereens,which is prohibited by server rules. But when the admin is away,griefers will play. Anyway, my defenses tore em to shreds. 1 guy escaped into the interior of my base, but got chewed up by 2 wallmounted turrets next to my medbay.

We got called nazis and then they left.

GasBandit

Staff member
Am playing on a German server now,since the Ping for American servers ist too damn high.

Build a base inside an doughnut asteroid. fortified it with 4 gatling guns who are attached to my assembler/refinery. Was mining in my tug when 2 griefers spawned and tried to ram me and my base to smithereens,which is prohibited by server rules. But when the admin is away,griefers will play. Anyway, my defenses tore em to shreds. 1 guy escaped into the interior of my base, but got chewed up by 2 wallmounted turrets next to my medbay.

We got called nazis and then they left.
Chalk one up for the good guys. heh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Check out this digger. That's me, using the 49 drill digger I told you guys about. Taking advantage of the beacons all being offline to fortify a magnesium-rich asteroid by completely encasing it in base. Sort of like a dyson sphere... but with gun turrets all over the outside. It's gonna be our own personal space-tortuga.

That's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with for several reasons.

- It has to be big enough to encase the asteroid, but also big enough to allow a ship to mine it without coming out.
- You need to have docking facilities to dump the ore AND extract it from the outside.
- The entire inside needs to be lit.
- Storage for all the ore.
- Storage for all the ammo.
- Conveyors for all the ore and ammo.
- Power generators for all of this.
- Resources to build/power all of this.

... and you have to have it done before the beacons turn back on. It also becomes a HUGE target once it does come on.

GasBandit

Staff member
The cynic in me says beacons won't be til thursday, if then. We'll see if these guys are still down for this crazy plan that long. I may just pitch them on building mines around the perimeter (small turret stations).[DOUBLEPOST=1404654991,1404654637][/DOUBLEPOST]LOL WELL SO MUCH FOR THAT. Somebody on the pirate crew had a busy night! I guess this is what we're doing!

GasBandit

Staff member
We're gonna need a super assload of iron.. so I went iron digging at a nearby asteroid.

In one end...

And out the other. .... and out the other.

We're gonna need a super assload of iron.. so I went iron digging at a nearby asteroid.
In one end...
And out the other. .... and out the other.
Dammit, stop making it look like so much fun. I can't afford the time nor money to play this.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
That looks ambitious. Now I want to know if you can just put engines and guns on an asteroid and start flying the thing around like Ego. Also:

--Patrick
Unfortunately, one of the physics shortcuts the game takes is all asteroids are considered to be fix and immovable (but destructible by drill or explosives). If you build a station on an asteroid, and then click to convert it to a ship so it can move, all the parts that intersect the asteroid are destroyed, and any further contact counts as collision.

That last picture though shows our 8x8 64 count welder. It moves over the surface like a lawn mower, welding great swaths in one pass. But it's a hungry beast, and I've drilled several more holes through a neighboring asteroid just to keep it fed with iron.

Unfortunately, one of the physics shortcuts the game takes is all asteroids are considered to be fix and immovable (but destructible by drill or explosives). If you build a station on an asteroid, and then click to convert it to a ship so it can move, all the parts that intersect the asteroid are destroyed, and any further contact counts as collision.

That last picture though shows our 8x8 64 count welder. It moves over the surface like a lawn mower, welding great swaths in one pass. But it's a hungry beast, and I've drilled several more holes through a neighboring asteroid just to keep it fed with iron.
I need to get in on this. Hopefully I'll have more time once I've done my current project for school.

GasBandit

Staff member
I need to get in on this. Hopefully I'll have more time once I've done my current project for school.
Well, don't worry about rushing too much. Last thursday's patch kinda broke long range navigation. The only reason I'm able to play multiplayer is because the guys I've hooked up with had a base already very close to this asteroid, and knew what part of the skybox to aim at to get there. Of the last 100 people I've seen log onto the server, all but 2 have failed to find any sort of structure or rock before giving up. Thursday's patch day, we're crossing our fingers the devs will un-frick beacon navigation by then.

figmentPez

Staff member
Will you completely consume the asteroid at some point?

Probably, but that still leaves them a base to use (if they want). They could also break it all down for the resources when they are done, leaving a big empty void. They could even convert it to a big ship and fly it away f they REALLY wanted to.

GasBandit

Staff member
"Completely consume" is doubtful. Rock itself is of very minimal utility (You need it for reactor components, but that's about it). It'd probably be more feasible to say we'll hollow it out into a shell. Or rather, a hollow toroid, probably, as this particular asteroid is donut-shaped. One of our leaders has an idea about a weaponized rock-bomb, but it'd be a lot of work to implement. But it would be funny as hell to watch if we could pull it off. Imagine, oh, say, throwing a pokeball, and when it hits something and pops open, a 500 meter diameter boulder "pops out."

But really, this base is more like an insurance policy. The only mineral we really NEED to dig is magnesium, for making ammo. Just about everything else we need, we take from people who can't stop us.

A faction has formed to oppose our piracy, called the Coalition of Justice. One of their particularly loudmouthed members can't stop bragging in open chat about the superweapon they're building. Boy have we got a surprise for them when they meet the George Dub. I doubt they've got nuclear missiles, seeing as how one of our members got the novel idea of how to build them. I'd also be surprised if they've figured out how to do gravity drives... though you have to be careful with that because it sort of exploits a physics loophole and you can make the server crash if you go too fast. Heh.

Last edited:
My server is still down. Kinda frustrated.
Tried another promising one, but for some reason if you even touch rock your ship breaks.
My mining drills get ripped off if I brush against an asteroids surface and If I actually get to mining the rest of the rig gets fucked up when it bumps against the hole into which one has dug himself.

"Completely consume" is doubtful. Rock itself is of very minimal utility (You need it for reactor components, but that's about it). It'd probably be more feasible to say we'll hollow it out into a shell. Or rather, a hollow toroid, probably, as this particular asteroid is donut-shaped. One of our leaders has an idea about a weaponized rock-bomb, but it'd be a lot of work to implement. But it would be funny as hell to watch if we could pull it off. Imagine, oh, say, throwing a pokeball, and when it hits something and pops open, a 500 meter diameter boulder "pops out."

But really, this base is more like an insurance policy. The only mineral we really NEED to dig is magnesium, for making ammo. Just about everything else we need, we take from people who can't stop us.

A faction has formed to oppose our piracy, called the Coalition of Justice. One of their particularly loudmouthed members can't stop bragging in open chat about the superweapon they're building. Boy have we got a surprise for them when they meet the George Dub. I doubt they've got nuclear missiles, seeing as how one of our members got the novel idea of how to build them. I'd also be surprised if they've figured out how to do gravity drives... though you have to be careful with that because it sort of exploits a physics loophole and you can make the server crash if you go too fast. Heh.

This sounds too good to be true.

I still want to know what about my earlier Space Engineers post @Terrik found too good to be true.[DOUBLEPOST=1404786343,1404786024][/DOUBLEPOST]
Temple of Apshai represent!

Hard to explain. The way you talk about it reminds me of the way I used to talk about Darktide in Asheron's call. After reading your posts on the game, I nearly picked it up myself. The only thing that's prevented me from doing so is that I start Pre-med classes next month and I'm afraid it would eat up all my time. But still...that's NEXT month...

GasBandit

Staff member
Hard to explain. The way you talk about it reminds me of the way I used to talk about Darktide in Asheron's call. After reading your posts on the game, I nearly picked it up myself. The only thing that's prevented me from doing so is that I start Pre-med classes next month and I'm afraid it would eat up all my time. But still...that's NEXT month...
Honestly you may want to wait a bit. It's still very alpha. Last thursday's patch broke multiplayer for a great number of people. In fact, the first server I played on still hasn't come back up since its admin discovered how broke it was. That cut off a nicely generating feud between me and some other guys I would attack at least once a day. It was really coming to a head, too, because the day of the patch, those jackoffs STOLE my battlewagon and hid it in an asteroid they'd hollowed out. I only realized this because they forgot to get rid of my medbay (which is the spawn point where you come back in when you log in) in my ship, so I immediately started with the ship in its hiding place. But just as I had figured out what had happened and who was responsible, the server goes down and never comes back up.

Even the server I play on now, 90% of the new players who come to it drift endlessly in the void of space without ever finding an asteroid for 15-20 minutes before giving up. And there's nothing the admin can do about it because the patch broke nav beacons and the extent of where he can control where you spawn is "somewhere within 50 km of the center of the map." Visual range is 7km.

So, single player's great and all, but after two or three days of learning how to survive and thrive you're going to ACHE to play it multiplayer. And honestly, that's where it gets to be its most alpha. But yeah, even in its current state, I can't take an evening off, cause who knows who's gonna find our pirate base and attack us. I gotta log in! I got stuff to do!

GasBandit

Staff member
Uh, so yeah. About that base..

Dumbass sys admin got all butthurt about how his server was showing up in both the "updated" and "not updated" server lists and decided to take the server down for maintenance at 8 stupid pm. What kind of server admin does maintenance in prime time? So because of that we all took a couple hour break to get something to eat, etc, and I'm the first one back.

Turns out some other guy must have been waiting with bated breath for the server to come back up, and when it did, managed to sneak into our base and hack the controls and turn it against itself, then did so on all the ships parked around it and rammed them into each other and the base.

By the time I got on, my blue ship was already beyond repair from the turrets shooting it. Eventually someone managed to patch it together enough to set it drifting into space, and I couldn't catch it because I had other things to worry about... so it's long gone. I managed to counter-hijack this tie fighter looking thing and fly it in circles while spamming our steam chat to ignore their stupid ass children and spouses and come back and take care of IMPORTANT matters instead.

Long story short, it's pretty much all gone. The wreckage fill float near the asteroid until somebody grinds it down (which might not happen given how hard it is to grind a moving object, and every bump will only make it move/rotate more), and the only ship to survive the raid was the Tie fighter I stole back and kept burning around, fighting off hijackers with spins and engine wash. I myself managed to destroy two ships that were being stolen - our big welder was being hijacked, so I sent a rocket to its cockpit, killing the hijacker but also splitting it in half, the welder section from the engines section, so it was pretty well permanently disabled for the rest of the fight. Lost my rocket launcher to a counterattack soon after that, and had to get my second kill by ramming - I learned my lesson this time though and turned sharply at the last second, taking the brunt on the armored sides.

I think we have enough resources still at the George Dub to rebuild the big drill (it was utterly destroyed in the melee), but if not we'll just raid hapless bozos for the parts we need and rebuild. This isn't over by a long shot.

Did learn some interesting things though - Gatling turrets do great damage to ships and missiles, but do zero damage to astronauts outside in just their spacesuits. Alpha game. So basically, there's no effective defense when you're offline, and you have to rely on security through obscurity, currently. Buggy as hell, but that's early access for you.

GasBandit

Staff member
Rust in Space?
Sort of, only imagine it being a flip of the coin as to whether weapons work or not. I've still gotten more kills by ramming with a ship or using my angle grinder than any actual weapon. Tonight was my first rocket kill.

Ironically it wasn't even anyone affiliated with the so-called "Coalition for Justice" that's working to oppose us. It was just some random neckbeard who thought one of our leaders was a jerk in chat.

Meh... I don't think you lost anything you can't replace. If anything, now you have a perfect motivation to just start killing everyone you meet.

Alright, redesigned the pontoon ship and scaled it up to accommodate the larger engines it needs for it's mass. Took about 5 hours to place and weld it all together.
2014-07-08_00001.jpg

Changes include...
- Large power core. I never seem to go higher than 60% so there is probably room for more drain.
- Quad Chain guns. They still sucked though. Chain guns might only be good as turrets because it's impossible to focus fire with the straight shooting ones.
- Triple Missile Launcher. Apparently explosions aren't additive, so putting them together is a waste. Yes, anything they hit is toast but it's a tiny area. You need to spread these out apparently. Also, how do you do conveyors for these things? They don't have a slot.
- Excessive storage capacity for ammo and fuel, tied into conveyor system. This is great for the chain guns but it hardly helps. Even with 7k rounds I barely scratched the target.
- Larger engines. Front, Back, and Side have large engines now. Top and bottom have the equivalent in small engines (8 each way) to not mess with the lines. They more than make up for the mass (30 tons) and the heavy fighter is much more agile. I even have room for more engines if I REALLY want to make this thing scream.

Questions:
- Can you do conveyors for small ship missile launchers?
- What does the Antenna do?

Next project: Maybe a tank? I haven't tried the wheeled stuff yet.