Space Engineers

Made the modifications... now the nacelle g-drives are protected. Gave it a more "policey" feel too, with a new black and white paint job..

2014-10-17_00006.jpg

2014-10-17_00007.jpg

2014-10-17_00008.jpg

2014-10-17_00009.jpg

Pretty slick design. What's the tonnage on the meat wagon?
310 in the old variant and 377 in this new one, which has more armor blocks and two more engines, but now that light armor is worth a damn you could reduce that 4/5s if you wanted to, turning it into a speed demon. 1-104.5 m/s in 20 seconds with thruster assist on this version, which isn't too bad considering the tonnage. Just don't let anyone get behind you.

Also tested the new armor. A 3-by-3 Light armor wall can eat -7- rockets to the face now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, and from what I hear heavy armor is nigh invulnerable now. I suspect there will be some rebalancing in the future.

Yeah, and from what I hear heavy armor is nigh invulnerable now. I suspect there will be some rebalancing in the future.
The problem with armor before was that it was so ineffective that you had to build thick walls of it to do ANYTHING, meaning everything had to be slow or thrustered/drived out the wazoo. The problem now is the reverse: it's so effective that the only worthwhile weapons are grinders because they can get through it faster than MISSILES can.

I think the sweet spot should be around 1-1.5 for Light and 5 for heavy. Getting hit with a missile shouldn't instantly end you like before but it should be worth using again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I predict a lot of builds based around ramming on the server I play on for a while.

Though last night it was so full I never was able to get on!

Hmm... I may need to adjust my gravity fields to take advantage of the multiplication effect for speed. Right now I only have them set for 10 meters height, 1 everything else because I wanted to conserve power, but it might be worth it to modify the fields so instead of it being (3MG) it will be 3(3MG). Tripling my speed should cut my acceleration time below 5 seconds in the Meat Wagon. I have NO idea what it will do to my handling though... theoretically it shouldn't matter because they are all on the same axis and are placed in an arc, but who knows in practice?

My number one request would be a way to switch your G value on gravity gens... I'd LOVE to have some Gravity brakes. It takes the Meat Wagon something like 500 meters to slow to a stop due to it's mass, even with double thrusters.

I'd LOVE to have some Gravity brakes.
G-M-G (or M-G-M), then flip from front to back as needed.

Have to wonder if the sudden deceleration wouldn't yank the ship in half, though. Deck your ship out like a sulfur molecule and get all 6 axes, although then it becomes a question of whether to use one generator surrounded by 6 masses, or one mass surrounded by 6 generators. Probably the former. Use the thrusters for maneuvering, use the G-drive for warp.

--Patrick

G-M-G (or M-G-M), then flip from front to back as needed.

Have to wonder if the sudden deceleration wouldn't yank the ship in half, though. Deck your ship out like a sulfur molecule and get all 6 axes, although then it becomes a question of whether to use one generator surrounded by 6 masses, or one mass surrounded by 6 generators. Probably the former. Use the thrusters for maneuvering, use the G-drive for warp.

--Patrick
I suppose this would work, but I'd love being able to do it without adding in MORE expensive to build gravity generators. And no, it won't rip you in half (even if it should in RL).

With the changes it's about 7 seconds to 104.4, even if it pulls left. I may just add more mass to the reverse side to even it out.

Also, M-G-M won't work because the gravity would still only be going in one direction. You need to do G-M-G because it reverses the flow.

M-G-M won't work because the gravity would still only be going in one direction. You need to do G-M-G because it reverses the flow.
I was operating under the assumption that artificial masses also need to be powered to work (I haven't watched the video yet). So it seemed to be a matter of just adjusting power to the proper unit to change the thrust vector.

--Patrick

I was operating under the assumption that artificial masses also need to be powered to work (I haven't watched the video yet). So it seemed to be a matter of just adjusting power to the proper unit to change the thrust vector.

--Patrick
They do, but a normal gravity generator only flows one direction: down. Putting a mass above it instead of below it wouldn't change the fact that the gravity is flowing down. The mass is still pulled down. You'd have to reverse the gravity for it to work, but if I could do that with a hotkey, I would ALREADY have gravity brakes.

Sooooo many thrusters on the warp nacelles.

Now go build a Star Fury.

Hmm wait...do you think it would be feasible to build a planet killer?
Well, more one that just eats ships, like a giant space-faring rotifer.

--Patrick

Sooooo many thrusters on the warp nacelles.

Now go build a Star Fury.

Hmm wait...do you think it would be feasible to build a planet killer?
Well, more one that just eats ships, like a giant space-faring rotifer.

--Patrick
You'd need pistons and/or rotors to do that kind of thing right and they just don't work as they should in multiplayer. That said, I've built giant grind platforms that can devour a ship in one pass. It's not too hard, as long as add a power plant, thruster, and gyro to the far end of the ship to be eaten (which help stabilize it as it's being devoured.)

GasBandit

Staff member
You'd need pistons and/or rotors to do that kind of thing right and they just don't work as they should in multiplayer. That said, I've built giant grind platforms that can devour a ship in one pass. It's not too hard, as long as add a power plant, thruster, and gyro to the far end of the ship to be eaten (which help stabilize it as it's being devoured.)
You wouldn't need pistons and rotors to do a Planetkiller as in the TOS series episode "The Doomsday Machine"

But you'd need a LOT of resources.

Also, here's an updated picture. Basically all done but the paint job. Also I need to tweak the gravity drive some, it pulls up under warp. Gonna add some mass blocks where the impulse engines go to compensate.

Final tonnage is 4,436,000 kg.

GasBandit

Staff member
Right, you'd just need a funnel lined with grinders, wouldn't you? As the ship enters, it just gets smaller and smaller as the grinders chew it all up.

--Patrick

Thing is, if it enters at 20 m/s or more things get splodey.

I might even try it with the interior lined with missile turrets instead.

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn't end up taking the Enterprise out to play today. Turns out... well, this is a long story.

So fairly soon after the admin went to work this morning some guys start making trouble in my hood. They've got a beacon on their ship and they type out a 255 char screed in its name field about how laggy the server is and how much the admin sucks and the other players sucks and space engineers sucks and then just starts repeating "badger badger badger mushroom mushroom snaaaaaake" (yes I know the weebl video) until it runs out of space, obscuring much of the screen.

I hop in the Ghetto Bird mk 2 and go track them down and engage in hostilities.

Turns out they've gotten 5 or 6 respawn ships and welded them together to make one big destroyer, with turrets added to the outside, and decoys wrapped in heavy armor on pylons. I buzz them a few times in the ghetto bird but it's plain to see what other guys have been telling me is correct - the volumetric explosions change has basically made missiles useless on any kind of armor, even light.

So, getting nowhere, I stew on the 20 minute flight home. I grind down the ghetto bird as it is now largely useless.. and I build a new ship. Quick. Dirty. Cheap. With one thing in mind.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the APC Nuclear Suppository.

nuclear suppository.jpg

What is she? A 3x3x5 heavy armor cylinder that contains my flight controls, the reactor, a gyro, and an artificial mass block. Mounted outside are a single small thruster in every direction, 4 gravity generators to complete the gravity drive, and a beacon. On the forward end? A 15 block long heavy armor lance tipped with a blast door edge block. Blast door blocks are almost as strong as heavy armor, and don't deform under collisions - they stay their shape, and do full collision damage, until they run out of HP (at which point they explode).

Long story short, I lance the shit out of the beacon trolls, shatter their amalgamated frankenship and send it scattering off into the void.

So I spend the rest of the day patrolling Elysium sector. There's a bug going around that respawn ships are NOT despawning when the owner logs out. Thus the ship graveyard around the elysium sector moon. I peel off parts to repair as needed, even tack on a medbay and more gyros and gravity generators.

9 hours later the ramming lance has turned into a trident, I've welded on two cargo bays that are now full of parts, and lots of "illegally parked" spawn ships have been lanced and then ground down. Local noncoms start sounding off where pirate ships are sighted, and I go lance them.

I even end up mergeblocking on a complete respawn ship in a manner resembling testicles to go with the already phallic nature of the main ship. Gives me more maneuvering thrusters, another gyro, and another power plant.

It was a pretty good day. Ramming is the new superweapon. Already 2 other players have started building copies of my design.

My advice for dealing with high speed collisions? Prongs. You want to have to rebuild as little as possible between fights and using prongs that snap off (instead of severing the main shaft) can agitate the wound you've made by leaving extra floating debris in the wound channel, which is going to smack into stuff inside the ship if they try to fly off.

Actually, it makes me wonder if designing the entire shaft to separate via merge blocks might be a tactical move worth the time?

GasBandit

Staff member
My advice for dealing with high speed collisions? Prongs. You want to have to rebuild as little as possible between fights and using prongs that snap off (instead of severing the main shaft) can agitate the wound you've made by leaving extra floating debris in the wound channel, which is going to smack into stuff inside the ship if they try to fly off.

Actually, it makes me wonder if designing the entire shaft to separate via merge blocks might be a tactical move worth the time?
Well, as I said, the lance is now a trident, but really the problem was never snapping off the lance, it was if I hit too fast, the target would get skewered all the way through and then slide down the lance and into the cabin, where it would impact the rim and then usually explode, sometimes taking a thruster or two with it. The lance itself almost never snapped off, so long as I stopped to touch up the dents after each attack.

Best results seem to come when the poke comes at about 20 m/s. That blast door edge slides through armor like a hot knife through butter.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wanted to say thanks to @GasBandit for your posts on space engineers as I bought it during the free weekend sale and I am loving it!
I find it extremely ironic that I know I am instrumental in several peoples' decisions to buy the game and yet my review on Steam of the game recommends against buying it. Calleja even messaged me a couple weeks ago "Why do you have a thumbs down review for a game you have 350 hours on?"

I find it extremely ironic that I know I am instrumental in several peoples' decisions to buy the game and yet my review on Steam of the game recommends against buying it. Calleja even messaged me a couple weeks ago "Why do you have a thumbs down review for a game you have 350 hours on?"
I did read your advice further up in this forum about all the bugs, and such being early access. That is why I waited till it was 40% off(something like that) to buy it cheaper. Considering I enjoy the Tekkit type mods for Minecraft and those always have compatibility issues between mods I figured based on your descriptions that I could put up with them. Plus I have others game to play if something gets horribly broken in a patch such as another recommendation....Robocraft ;p

I just thought it looked very interesting, and figured I would enjoy it. I just couldn't justify the $25 price tag for the game along with the $250 it was probably going to cost to bring my GPU up to date to play it. But then the card I've been watching dropped to $100 while the game went on sale at 40% off and I caved.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Thursday is patch day

In this update, we added an advanced rotor block that is able to function as a conveyor system and also implemented the option to mod sounds.

The second important implementation is bug fixing. As Marek Rosa has already written in his latest blog-post, the game is entering into a stabilization period where the amount of new features will be reduced and the focus will be mainly on bug fixing and stabilization of the things that are already in the game. This doesn’t mean that weekly updates will stop coming or that we are not going to add new features any more. This is just a temporary transition period that will last for a few weeks. There are still many big and important features to be added, but first we want to make sure that the game is free of bugs and in a much more stable state before we start implementing them.

Features
- advanced rotor block
- sound modding

Fixes
- fixed memory leaks in character, raycasts and asteroids
- fixed small ship piston dummies
- fixed render interpolation issues
- fixed crash to desktop when pasting blueprint
- fixed floating object size (components, ore)
- fixed issue with not functional landing gears
- fixed missing curved conveyor glass
- fixed crash when clicking on faction
- fixed issue when player can't create an asteroid map
- fixed issue with explosions in older worlds caused by changed rotor offset
- fixed game crash when declaring war and proposing peace
- fixed spotlights not illuminating the area correctly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll believe the bug fixing when I see it.

This patch is causing all grouped ship components to delete their group, and large drills are causing server crashes when they touch asteroid.

God dammit.

Dave

Staff member
You know what the solution is, right? You need to make more videos.

And for goodness sake! MONETIZE THAT SHIT!