So there's this Occupy Wall Street protest in Manhattan today

Actually I wasn't interested till I saw the pic so it's probably having the mainstream reverse effect that it had on you. Which is a good thing! ;)

I'm slightly joking, I am severely interested in this protest since I hate the rich and all that liberal bullshit. I just wanted to make fun of this terrible nerd sign/picture

I wouldn't have posted this thread if I didn't want to spread awareness of this

Yeah, but that terrible nerd sign/picture is spreading the word about 400x more than you are, so not sure why you'd be against it. Interesting link none-the-less though. Thanks.

...what are they actually protesting for?

Their manifesto doesn't seem to say anything specific beyond "we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore". Maybe there's more substance somewhere on that site, but on the face of it, it just sounds like a far-left Tea Party.

The top 5% of the worlds wealthiest people (middle class americans) are complaining that the top 0.05% of the world's wealthiest people are just too darn wealthy.

Story at 11.

More the income inequality is at an obscene rate, but yeah, the top .05% have too many resources.
I don't disagree with that at all, I would just like to know what they're actually trying to accomplish, what their goals are. "Promoting awareness" is really only a goal when you come prepared to educate, not just carry signs with slogans.

I don't disagree with that at all, I would just like to know what they're actually trying to accomplish, what their goals are. "Promoting awareness" is really only a goal when you come prepared to educate, not just carry signs with slogans.
Get elected and be shit-headed.

Like the Tea Party.

I would just like to know what they're actually trying to accomplish
In a real revolution, the middle class switch places with the upper class by using the lower class as pawns. It's quite obvious these are middle class folks getting all uppity, but they've got no plan, so I don't see anything coming of it.

Relevant: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14978876

"It took about three years into the Depression before people overcame this sense of blaming themselves about their plight, before they got angry at the banks and the business community and local mayors, before they externalised their anger and made it a political issue rather than a personal one."

V

Vietnam

Take off your masks. No one had masks on in the 60's or 70's accept for the disgusting KKK

Still 0 coverage anywhere on the current one going and the one going in LA.

Lots of arrests though.

So, awesome.

Take off your masks. No one had masks on in the 60's or 70's accept for the disgusting KKK
It's not that I disagree with you, but no one here is wearing a mask. In fact, I don't think anyone here has any direct connection to the protest whatsoever.

Hmm... the NYPD get a 4.6 million dollar donation from the guys on Wall Street and very shortly afterward heads start getting busted and arrests were made. Interesting.

Hmm... the NYPD get a 4.6 million dollar donation from the guys on Wall Street and very shortly afterward heads start getting busted and arrests were made. Interesting.
If that's true then the rich are officially retarded... people getting beaten and arrested >>>>>>>>>> people with iPhones and laptops standing around with signs.

Sounds like fairly standard NYPD tactics to deal with protesters. Guessing it was the sergeants (the guys in white shirts). At this, and many other protests here, for some reason, it's always the sergeants who pull this sort of thing.

If you protest Wallstreet's near destruction of the United States' economy, you are supporting terrorism.