So there's this Occupy Wall Street protest in Manhattan today

So the students get between 30 and 50 thousand depending on how much the claim in later costs and fees. I'm sure there are some students who will get less, and some more, but on average they each get up to 50 thousand, and a minimum of 30 thousand.

Dave

Staff member
So the students get between 30 and 50 thousand depending on how much the claim in later costs and fees. I'm sure there are some students who will get less, and some more, but on average they each get up to 50 thousand, and a minimum of 30 thousand.
Actually, after lawyer fees it seems that the totals are $30 and below.

I fail to see the problem. I mean, American damages claims can be absurdly high and all that, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
I mean, Cop A did something wrong, hurting students B and C.
In return, People D, E and F did something wrong to A, hurting him.

B and C received compensation for what A did to them.
A received compensation for what D, E and F did to him.

That seems like a legal system at work. None of the amounts seem enormously excessive. It might be a bit odd if one got more than the other, but I could easily argue that the psychological fall-out (and there's supposedly physical stress as well but anyway) of being threatened, attacked, insulted could be longer-lasting and more expensive to return from than being tear gassed or maced.

I mean, I wouldn't, really, but it seems like it's about fair. if he was suddenly awarded $1.2m I'd be mocking the US legal system.