So, there's this ex...

I had my first day of classes today at the community college. Well, more orientation and tours and stuff, but still first day, technically.

During lunchtime, though, I ran into an old friend that I've known since my first year of university back when I was 18 (cripes, almost 20 years ago). Years ago, she set me up with a friend of hers. This girl became one of my longest lasting relationships. We broke up after 3 years together, two of which were living together. At the time, I still had no clue what I wanted to do with my life, who I was, etc. And at the time, she kept talking about a ring on her finger and a baby in her belly. You can probably see why we broke up.

Anyway, we've mended fences since a rather bad break up and become friends - at least on Facebook. She's had a really rough year, with her father dying and having to take care of her incredibly mentally unwell mother. Long story.

But...my old friend also told me that my ex (who we'll call Anne for easier reference) was also either breaking up with or had already broken up with her boyfriend she'd been with recently. Apparently he was an okay guy, but they just didn't mesh well together.

And I guess it got me thinking. Would it be possible that Anne and I could get back together? Would she even be interested?

I've been thinking about this pretty much since lunchtime and realized this isn't just a matter of wanting to get back with an ex-girlfriend. Anne and I were really great together. She had a similar humour as me (including a perchance for puns) and has not only gotten into yoga and meditation, but also just got her certificate to teach. I'm a very different person from the one she was with. I'm a healthier eater and more physically active, not as obsessed with comics or especially wrestling, I know myself a lot better, and my depression is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I've come a long way since then. Part of me has, at times, thought, "You know, you're much happier about yourself and have more in common with Anne now than before." Which is funny, because we already had a number of things in common.

But I don't know. I barely even talk to her anymore. I messaged our mutual friend, asking her what she thinks, but haven't heard back yet. I think it's just one of those things I'll have to accept and move on.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just message Annie and ask her, immediately after the "Hi Annie" part, if she wants to get something to eat sometime. That much, nothing more. Don't talk about allllll this stuff you are thinking about. Just ask her, open ended, if she wants to go. Send it, and forget it.
If something happens, it happens. If not, oh well.

Trust me, I know all about the "wanting to get back together with the ex" thing. Just keep it friendly with her, and if those old feelings do come around again, just go with the flow. It didn't work out with mine because of other factors that had come up since we last had a relationship, but if you guys can make it work then go ahead and try!

Just message Annie and ask her, immediately after the "Hi Annie" part, if she wants to get something to eat sometime. That much, nothing more. Don't talk about allllll this stuff you are thinking about. Just ask her, open ended, if she wants to go. Send it, and forget it.
If something happens, it happens. If not, oh well.
Oh, I definitely wouldn't gush all that. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. :p But yeah, that's pretty good advice.[DOUBLEPOST=1378499222,1378499180][/DOUBLEPOST]
Been there, done that. Of course, that was before we both became super lean, super limber yogi. :unibrow:

Gas has the right idea. BTW whatchya taken at cc? I thought you had a teaching degree or something?
My practicum failed spectacularly. Long story that includes my realization that I may not be teacher material. For now, anyway.

Instead, I'm doing Human Services. So this might include working in the schools as an educational assistant, likely working with the most problematic kids.

Seems to me like you're looking at this from the right standpoint. You're a different guy now, your priorities have shifted, and it sounds like you've got your head in the right place as far as she's concerned.

I'm with Gas on this one - keep it light and casual, see if she'd be down for hanging out again, and see where it might go from there.

To joke: perchance to pun: ay, there's the rub;
For in that joke of quibbles what puns may come
Dave, Captain of our board band,
Thatnickguy is here at hand,
And the poster, mistook by me,
Pleading for a message board's fee,
Shall we our fond postings see?
Lord, what fools these Halforumers be.

Fold thy being into the place where fudge is made there in.[DOUBLEPOST=1378528141,1378527628][/DOUBLEPOST]Wait, better yet, directly from the bard himself:

Petruchio said:
Come, come, you wasp, I’faith you are too angry.
Katherine said:
If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
Petruchio said:
My remedy is then to pluck it out.
Katherine said:
Ay, if the fool could find where it lies.
Petruchio said:
Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.
Katherine said:
In his tongue.
Petruchio said:
Whose tongue?
Katherine said:
Yours, if you talk of tales, and so farewell.
Petruchio said:
What, with my tongue in your tail?
Translation: Lick the brown star.

Fold thy being into the place where fudge is made there in.[DOUBLEPOST=1378528141,1378527628][/DOUBLEPOST]Wait, better yet, directly from the bard himself:

Translation: Lick the brown star.
Wrong. In the bards time tail equals poonany. So he's saying lick the pootang pie

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Okay, so, from what I gathered she has had a rough enough year from what you said in your post. Are you sure her ex coming around for a rebound is going to make it any better? Especially since you don't even know if she's actually ended her last relationship?

GasBandit

Staff member
I think 20 years is acceptable time passage before swinging back around.

And you have to hit that window. If the woman is pleasant at all, you have 1 week. 2 weeks and you risk "Oh hi! So good to see you again! Let me introduce you to my new boyfriend!"

Okay, so, from what I gathered she has had a rough enough year from what you said in your post. Are you sure her ex coming around for a rebound is going to make it any better? Especially since you don't even know if she's actually ended her last relationship?
Apparently, it's just a matter of getting stuff back from her current boyfriend, who's now living in another city.

Got a response back from our mutual friend on the matter. Anne definitely won't be looking for any kind of relationship for awhile, with everything that's happened in the last while. Especially losing her father. And that's all completely, 100% understandable. According to the mutual friend, she's also realized the kind of guy she wants: someone who's financially stable or at least with a career and some ambition. Someone she doesn't have to support, basically. Which, honestly, I was that guy at one time. She had the much better paying government job and I was working at a call centre, so I only paid what I could for the bills.

Anyway, I'm honestly not that guy. At least right now. Not with going to school and living off student loans. So, if something happens, then it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

At the very least, I might hit her up to see if she wants to go together to some yoga classes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, what women say they want (or tell each other they want) and what they actually end up going for are often two completely unrelated things.

No woman actually ever SAYS "You know, I'm looking for an emotionally stunted bad boy who can be easily prodded into hitting me."

Yeah, what women say they want (or tell each other they want) and what they actually end up going for are often two completely unrelated things.

No woman actually ever SAYS "You know, I'm looking for an emotionally stunted bad boy who can be easily prodded into hitting me."
Damnit. I guess I should stop asking them if that's what they want from me then :(

Apparently, it's just a matter of getting stuff back from her current boyfriend, who's now living in another city.

Got a response back from our mutual friend on the matter. Anne definitely won't be looking for any kind of relationship for awhile, with everything that's happened in the last while. Especially losing her father. And that's all completely, 100% understandable. According to the mutual friend, she's also realized the kind of guy she wants: someone who's financially stable or at least with a career and some ambition. Someone she doesn't have to support, basically. Which, honestly, I was that guy at one time. She had the much better paying government job and I was working at a call centre, so I only paid what I could for the bills.

Anyway, I'm honestly not that guy. At least right now. Not with going to school and living off student loans. So, if something happens, then it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

At the very least, I might hit her up to see if she wants to go together to some yoga classes.
I say if you can still get in contact with her, at least it's a step to repairing the bridge between you two. Even if you can't be more than friends, being just friends is probably not a bad call. You both had a strong relationship with each other. You both learned things and lived your lives taking from what you learned while you were together. Like you said, if something happens that's great. But do try to go into it not assuming that something could happen. Just remember you're different people now. Don't take the chemistry you had then and try to apply it to now. Build new chemistry from the ground up.