[Console] So the Wii U just got a release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seems odd to pay so much more money for about the same thing if that's what it's to be used for, especially if you're carrying it to the kitchen or around the house.
I was trying to be polite, I use the portable feature to continue playing while I am on the can. as far as the portable systems go, I dont really see the point to buying a portable system you are going to only use at home, when I can use the wii for modern gaming plus scratching my retro gaming itch when I feel it without having to break my old systems and games out of storage.

There's a difference between -being hardcore- and not settling for 7yr old graphics on a new system just because it morphs into a handheld and has a gimmick that will never see real potential.
that's not an issue for me as I have an extremely powerful PC, I dont have to settle for anything, The nintendo is for nintendo games and stuff I am not going to see on the PC, that looks like it would be fun to play. all the CoD and AC of the world will eventually show up on the PC, if they dont oh well no biggie.

that's not an issue for me as I have an extremely powerful PC, I dont have to settle for anything, The nintendo is for nintendo games and stuff I am not going to see on the PC, that looks like it would be fun to play. all the CoD and AC of the world will eventually show up on the PC, if they dont oh well no biggie.
Which is exactly what I said in a later reply. A Nintendo system is no longer about the -future- of gaming, it's for a very small niche product that's rarely even put out. This is a shame because at one point, Nintendo was the lead in graphics and would put out 4-5 First Party Main titles per generation.

I thought they still did? last generation we got Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Animal Crossing: City Folks, Donky Kong Country Returns, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, two Kirby games, and Metroid Prime 3 off the top of my head.

I thought they still did? last generation we got Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Animal Crossing: City Folks, Donky Kong Country Returns, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, two Kirby games, and Metroid Prime 3 off the top of my head.
That's what I mean:
1 Zelda
1 Metroid
etc

usually there is only one or two a generation...so I dont get the point. on second thought are you trying to troll? I dont get it? you changed your criteria after the fact from your original statement of "4-5 First Party Main titles per generation."

usually there is only one or two a generation...so I dont get the point. on second thought are you trying to troll? I dont get it? you changed your criteria after the fact from your original statement of "4-5 First Party Main titles per generation."
Zelda/Zelda 2 - NES
Ocrania of Time/Majora's Mask - N64
Wind Waker/Twilight Princess/4 Swords - Gamecube
Oracle of Ages/Seasons - GBC
Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks - GBDS

Then Wii hit:
Remade Twilight Princess/Skyward sword (right at the end of the dev cycle)

I can make this type of example for alot of Nintendo's first party big names from NES to GBDS then it just stopped dead on Wii. I'm hoping WiiU doesn't do the same thing but it looks like a trend that may form.

that didnt answer my question but ok. is your conjecture that they should have developed a third orginal zelda title on the wii?

that didnt answer my question but ok. is your conjecture that they should have developed a third orginal zelda title on the wii?
Don't you mean a second?

I did answer your question, Wii made less main party titles than previous generations. I'm hoping WiiU doesn't follow the same formula because those titles are the only reason to buy the console in the first place. If I have less than a handful of games worth purchasing a console over, what's the point?

For the record, there were 4 Metroid games released on the Wii if you count the Wii-ified versions of Prime 1 and 2. Unfortunately one of them was Other M (thanks for nothing, team ninja).

Yes, I was a bit baffled by the 1 Metroid comment.
You wouldn't be if you played Other M, hahaha am i rite :awesome:

What I believe Gilg is saying is that before Nintendo was a good system because it was those games and ALSO top hardware and third-party games.

Now it's just those games, and it seems like you have to decide if the latest Nintendo console is worth getting for two Marios, two Zeldas, two Metroids over the course of five or six years.

I'm sure at some point I will get a Wii U for those games so long as there aren't pretty much the same games coming out for cheaper on the (less expensive) 3DS. But it's going to be cheaper than it is now and it's going to actually have games I want to play.

I was trying to be polite, I use the portable feature to continue playing while I am on the can.
There was a poll on this forum about how people wipe their asses. I think you're in the clear :).

What I believe Gilg is saying is that before Nintendo was a good system because it was those games and ALSO top hardware and third-party games.

Now it's just those games, and it seems like you have to decide if the latest Nintendo console is worth getting for two Marios, two Zeldas, two Metroids over the course of five or six years.
This is my problem, really. I'm not going to pay 300+ dollars for a system I'm only going to buy 6 games for. Being able to re-acquire old classic games is nice, but I actually still OWN these games. I can just hook up an old system to play them.

I just learned you can't play VC games on the pad.

That's a continuing bummer.

Damn it, I wanna like you Wii-U. Why you gotta be this way Nintendo?

I just learned you can't play VC games on the pad.
That would be one of the few reasons I had thought of as to why I might want it. Since you can't, there goes another reason out the window.

Just didn't get excited about this one. At all. It was just a "meh, nothing new" when I saw news about it.

I don't see why it shouldn't be able to play on the tablet. The tablet is just a screen that the content is streamed to.

So... anyone got any actual gameplay vids... because really, pictures with textures not loading is a bad way to actually see ow the games actually run.

Oh and 2 GB OF RAM... YAY!!!! Now lets just hope the other 2 go with 4GB.

figmentPez

Staff member
The WiiU doesn't have analog triggers... WUT?

I don't think I'll ever be buying a WiiU, it just lacks too many things that it really should have.

All of the above with the exception of the 360. I'm getting it for the exclusives. To me, it's worth it. I bought the game cube pretty much exclusively to play Wind Waker and Metroid Prime.

Luckily GC had some pretty great stuff on it outside flagships. I'd love to be able to say the same for Wii, but I think the only non-Nintendo game I got super into was the sequel to Symphonia, which is alright at best.

Okami and Xenoblade chronicles are the only 2 non-mainstays that I recall playing and having a great time with. So, yeah, I'm fully aware I'm buying the console for the mainstays, but on the Wii, I have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 1,2,3(the Wii ports were far superior to the gamecube versions), Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, the Wii sports titles, any number of Wiiware titles.

So, all in all, it was far from being a waste of money to get one. I assume the WiiU will be the same. ZombiU is already getting rave reviews, and I look forward to new Zelda and Mario (outside the "New Super Mario Brothers" series) games using the new hardware. Actually, because I have a pretty hefty gaming PC, the only reason I have ANY consoles are for the exclusives.

Okami and Xenoblade chronicles are the only 2 non-mainstays that I recall playing and having a great time with. So, yeah, I'm fully aware I'm buying the console for the mainstays, but on the Wii, I have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 1,2,3(the Wii ports were far superior to the gamecube versions), Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, the Wii sports titles, any number of Wiiware titles.

So, all in all, it was far from being a waste of money to get one. I assume the WiiU will be the same. ZombiU is already getting rave reviews, and I look forward to new Zelda and Mario (outside the "New Super Mario Brothers" series) games using the new hardware. Actually, because I have a pretty hefty gaming PC, the only reason I have ANY consoles are for the exclusives.
In the long run the Wii paid off for me for most of the same games you listed (though I haven't gotten Xenoblade yet, sadly).

<3 Okami. Gotta get the HD version for my PS3 at some point.

I feel like the Wii would've been better for me had I still been living at my mom's house with my siblings. As it was, my wife and I got one when we moved in together and then it felt like we had to make ourselves play Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Kart to justify the thing. I did play through Mario Galaxy, Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Okami, but I didn't feel the Wii was overall money well spent.

I have or had every Nintendo console, mostly for the Zelda games. (Ok I didn't own a Virtual Boy, but I did rent it once). I even still have my old brick original Gameboy, but I have no idea if it still works. My Gameboy color does though, but the battery in my copy of Pokemon Yellow is dead so I can't save D: )

I have or had every Nintendo console, mostly for the Zelda games. (Ok I didn't own a Virtual Boy, but I did rent it once). I even still have my old brick original Gameboy, but I have no idea if it still works. My Gameboy color does though, but the battery in my copy of Pokemon Yellow is dead so I can't save D: )
You know you can replace those batteries, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.