[Console] So the Wii U just got a release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may pick up a Wii-U one day, but only after returning to the states. If I can't once again buy a non-chipped system where I can use online features freely, I'll go nuts. I don't care (much) that my games only cost $1 that way.

Reggie is straight out lying now.

2:30 into this video.
Yeah, stating that it has better graphics than the 360 or PS3 is flat out a lie, or he's an idiot, either way. Then again, he's always been pretty much an idiot.

That being said, I'm in the process of downloading the update for my brand new WiiU....

It actually does work as a remote for my TV, which is pretty awesome.

A remote with 3 hours of battery life.

Marcan, the guy who was pretty much the main Wii hacker has pretty much cracked the Wii wide open.

Wii U codenames worth knowing: system Cafe, CPU Espresso, GPU/SoC/etc. Latte, ARM secure processor Starbuck (we made that one up).

1.243125GHz, exactly. 3 PowerPC 750 type cores (similar to Wii's Broadway, but more cache).

GPU core at 549.999755MHz.

we're calling the WiiU security processor the Starbuck (vs. Starlet on Wii). And it seems to be about equally vulnerable, too

sorry, I'd rather not talk about how I got that yet. It doesn't involve leaks, it involves Wii U hacks ;)
The insanely low clock speed pretty much explains why the Wii-U is shit at doing 360 and PS3 (consoles much more CPU dependent than GPU) ports and explains why it's power consumption is so itty bitty.

When I read good news about that Wii that doesn't just involve saying that Nintendo games are only there yo I'll post it here too. I just haven't seen any on GAF, where I get most of my gaming news from (same with the other big sites).

The people shitting on the WiiU are the same people who've been shitting on everything since the N64 or gamecube, depending how much of a hardon they had for RE4 when it was a GC exclusive.

I've already said earlier in the thread, the only reason I have any consoles at all are for the exclusives, so the power of the system doesn't really matter to me as long as I can get the games.

I've already said earlier in the thread, the only reason I have any consoles at all are for the exclusives, so the power of the system doesn't really matter to me as long as I can get the games.
He was talking about the bullshit hardware battery, not the power of the system. You defended that by saying you were right next to a socket and he was just -hating-.

I love Nintendo. I also love my brother.

Both have been making bad decisions lately. Doesn't mean I've stopped loving them; I just want them to make better choices.

On weirder Nintendo note:

Exclusive to Canada comes this piece of shit.

A top-loading, no internet supporting whatsoever, no backwards compatibility having Wii. Retailers in Canada have already stopped selling normal Wiis (Best Buy and Futureshop are the only ones I've checked, I can't imagine Gamestop or EB will stop selling normal Wiis until there are none left).

At least when Sony went mini for the PS2 (for almost exactly the same price drop as the Wii to Wii mini has gone through) the only thing it didn't support was the hard-drive (which nothing other than FF12 needed anyway) and actually added the ethernet adapter to the console and still maintained it's ability to play PS1 games.

Nintendo has a weird fixation on shrinking consoles. This seems to fall into the GameBoy Micro category of "Uselessly Small."

Also the WiiU is the first Nintendo console I've really had zero interest in. I still play games on the Wii and am hoping to get Last Story or Xenoblade this year (both of which will keep that system alive a lot longer for me).

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't phasing out the superior version of the console (people don't often say that about the Wii I bet). I know I'd rather pay the 50 bucks for access to the VC and Wiiware and have the GC backwards compatibility. Hell, people pay more for Xbox Gold and that shit is basically paywalling stuff that shouldn't fucking cost extra (like Netflix access and stuff).

I just don't get why everyone tries to phase out BC. 360 only works with a handful of XBox games, PS3's was phased out quickly, and now apparently Nintendo is following suit. I guess it's to push PSN/Marketplace/Virtual Console sales, but it's a shitty practice. I'd love to see more systems work like the PS2 in terms of compatibility.

I just don't get why everyone tries to phase out BC. 360 only works with a handful of XBox games, PS3's was phased out quickly, and now apparently Nintendo is following suit. I guess it's to push PSN/Marketplace/Virtual Console sales, but it's a shitty practice. I'd love to see more systems work like the PS2 in terms of compatibility.
Since the new Wii doesn't support virtual console, I'd say probably no.

The real reason is simple. Cost. It's cheaper to not have to include backwards compatibility.

At the same time, a lot of the old stuff isn't available via download (VC, XBLA, PSN). You pretty much have to keep your old systems around if you want to play all the old stuff, whether or not you'd be willing to buy it again. I'm glad I ended up keeping my old DS so I can still play GBA games since Nintendo is dragging ass on the 3DS virtual console.

Yeah, the North American VC offerings were slim at best most of the time, especially compared to the Japanese one (650 Japanese vs 400 North American).

At the same time, a lot of the old stuff isn't available via download (VC, XBLA, PSN). You pretty much have to keep your old systems around if you want to play all the old stuff, whether or not you'd be willing to buy it again. I'm glad I ended up keeping my old DS so I can still play GBA games since Nintendo is dragging ass on the 3DS virtual console.
Ironically, my old school DSes broke (the only reason I really bothered to buy a 3DS last year), but I still have my GBA. Woo.

Yeah, PSN is pretty good about getting games I want, but I don't remember finding much I liked on the VC that I couldn't just boot up on an emulator (or even plug in my SNES and just play).

Since the new Wii doesn't support virtual console, I'd say probably no.

The real reason is simple. Cost. It's cheaper to not have to include backwards compatibility.
The WiiU will support Virtual Console and will even allow you to port your purchases from the Wii shop to the WiiU. They are also planning on adding GC games to the Virtual Console as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.