[Console] So the Wii U just got a release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
300 bucks for barebones, 350 for one with slightly less tiny internal storage, a game and a stand for your controller that some kid will break.

Controllers are likely to cost about 150 bucks based on the yen translation of 180 or so dollars for the Japanese version.

So you want two controllers and a game, 500 bucks. I'll wait for a price drop in the spring, if at all.

OOOOUCH.

So, Nintendo bids Europe a hardy go fuck yourself by pricing the Wii and 300 and 350 Euros for the SKUs respectively.

That $=€ conversion rate in the tech industry is killer.

300 bucks for barebones, 350 for one with slightly less tiny internal storage, a game and a stand for your controller that some kid will break.

Controllers are likely to cost about 150 bucks based on the yen translation of 180 or so dollars for the Japanese version.

So you want two controllers and a game, 500 bucks. I'll wait for a price drop in the spring, if at all.
Hard to say at the moment how much you'll need two of the gamepad controllers. You'll only need two if the game is designed to use two of them, otherwise normal Wiimotes/Wii Pro controllers are all you're going to need.

I'm actually impressed with them getting some killer apps for it. Monster Hunter 3 means they basically have a license to print money in Japan and Bayonetta 2's exclusive deal is gonna bring in the action fans. This is on top of ZombiU's impressive looking use of the controller...

If I had the money, I'd probably get one.

Hard to say at the moment how much you'll need two of the gamepad controllers. You'll only need two if the game is designed to use two of them, otherwise normal Wiimotes/Wii Pro controllers are all you're going to need.
That's another reason to be annoyed. It doesn't come with a sensor bar.[DOUBLEPOST=1347553650][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm actually impressed with them getting some killer apps for it. Monster Hunter 3 means they basically have a license to print money in Japan and Bayonetta 2's exclusive deal is gonna bring in the action fans. This is on top of ZombiU's impressive looking use of the controller...

If I had the money, I'd probably get one.
Yeah, that's Japan, but Bayonetta didn't set the world on fire (less than 500 k sales in NA and a massive 90 K in Japan) and Monster Hunter means nothing here.

I liked Bayonetta for as little as I played it but I couldn't imagine shelling out for a new console for it. Especially one as dubious in my opinion as the WiiU, which looks to me like a Dreamcast 2.0.

That's another reason to be annoyed. It doesn't come with a sensor bar.
So you're good if you already had a Wii, and if not, you'll either need to buy a less than $10 sensor bar and a $40 controller or two for multiplayer, or a $50-75 non-Wiimote controller. Seems pretty standard for a console.

Understandable, but it seems like no console maker considers extra controllers neccessary. And given that the alternative is to raise the price of the package by including things that not everyone will need, it looks like the best option.

Huh, I saw the same thing. Looks like it's only in Japan that it's not coming with a sensor bar. Either that or Kotaku is totally wrong.

It's probably just Japan. Nintendo is probably banking on most Japanese gamers to already have a Wii. They did the same thing with the 3DS LL, it didn't come with a battery charger but it uses the same charger as a normal 3DS, so they expected gamers to already have one.

figmentPez

Staff member
Underpowered, too little storage, no Blu-ray, no multi-touch, horrible history of online support... Why am I supposed to be excited about this?

It comes with an HDMI cable? Welcome to last generation Nintendo.

No games I'm honestly excited about yet. Zombie-U looks kind of interesting, but I'd like to see more of what the gameplay is really about first. No interest in Monster Hunter, and I wonder how "exclusive" Bayonetta is actually going to be.

If it's genuinely exclusive, that's something. If it's "exclusive", and I can wait a few months before it comes out for consoles I already own, I can wait.

The TV/DVR integration is interesting, if I can trade in my DirecTV box and use a Wii U instead. However, it begs the question of what kind of external connectivity will be offered by the WiiU. Anyone who has ever tried watching an HD movie over a USB2 connection can tell you it's not always so great. If there's a USB 3 or eSata port (or even a Thunderbolt port) in the back, that would be pretty awesome. The USB stick expandability mention would be much less annoying if there were more space in the onboard system.

Having that TV/DVR support is a little weird when there's no Blu-Ray support.

I'm always excited to play Nintendo games. That's really the only justification necessary to be excited about the console.

Underpowered, too little storage, no Blu-ray, no multi-touch, horrible history of online support... Why am I supposed to be excited about this?

It comes with an HDMI cable? Welcome to last generation Nintendo.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's what everyone said about the Wii. Nintendo wins people over with the games, not the console.

I am looking forward to the Wii U but not because if the controller or anything like that. Truthfully the main reason I am buying the system is for Nintendo's main franchise titles (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon,Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros., etc) and if it wasn't for those titles the system would not be purchasing the system (at least not for awhile). But despite all that I will probably purchase the system day one and Nintendo will win my money without having to make any real changes (at least not the changes real gamers want) because I am a sap apparently.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's what everyone said about the Wii. Nintendo wins people over with the games, not the console.
I'm not saying they won't sell systems. I'm just saying I won't be one of the early adopters this round, and probably won't buy one ever.

"Nae Mario! Nae Peach! Nae Wii! Nae WiiPoints! We willna' be fooled agin!"

Maybe if Nintendo games meant anything anymore.

New Super Mario Brothers is the laziest fucking franchise in existence. It's a watered down, awkwardly controlling, awful level designed filled license to print money.

And I guess the console doesn't support (and may never support) a second WiiU pad. So the system will be forever be one kid playing with Fortress Maximus and 3 getting the shaft with Bumblebee, Cliffjumper and Huffer.

Yeah, once again bad reporting.

It's not that it can't, it's that they just won't be selling gamepads in North America.

They won't at launch anyway. But there also are no games available at launch that can use a second one, so North American people aren't missing out on much.

If it's genuinely exclusive, that's something. If it's "exclusive", and I can wait a few months before it comes out for consoles I already own, I can wait.
Console exclusivity deals are usually at least 1-2 years for a full title or one-two months for DLC. After that, you MIGHT see it move to a new console... but I could see them integrating rhythm game elements into Bayonetta's boss fights using the tablet. Like you have to do timed presses ala Ouendan/Idolmaster in order to perform her big finishers. Then again, I could see them making you use the Wiimote + Nunchuk to replicate her dance moves.

Console exclusivity deals are usually at least 1-2 years for a full title or one-two months for DLC. After that, you MIGHT see it move to a new console... but I could see them integrating rhythm game elements into Bayonetta's boss fights using the tablet. Like you have to do timed presses ala Ouendan/Idolmaster in order to perform her big finishers. Then again, I could see them making you use the Wiimote + Nunchuk to replicate her dance moves.
Going by ZombiU, it's probably going to be about 6 months.

All that system-specific integrated stuff might make it take longer, but will they bother?

I can't even imagine ZombiU on another console, unless you just made your inventory pop up on the same screen as the gameplay (meaning you'd have NO WAY of knowing when Zombies are coming).

Am I late to this party? Why, yes, yes I am.

But I can still complain right?? Honestly, I could care less about the Wii-U, I'm just not interested. I am, however, in a tizzy about Bayonetta 2 being an exclusive. I will cry the biggest tears humanly possible ever if it truly is exclusive. Because I will not spring for a new console just for that game, I just won't. But I adored the first Bayonetta and have wanted a sequel since the moment I beat the game. C'mon, really Nintendo? And the creators comments about how they would 'like to get the game to as many players possible', well being an exclusive ain't that, I'm sorry you fools.

I will keep my fingers crossed so very hard that it will get ported. My little brain just...*le sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.