[Console] So the Wii U just got a release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
To add to Miseur Prime's point, with the Wii, they told me "It's motion controls, you can swing the controller and stuff," and I went, "Ah! That is cool!"

For the Wii U, I have been told, "The controller has a screen, and you control stuff separately from the screen," and I go, "Oh. What? Why? Like menus and things? Or what?"

See, I'm a hip happenin' gamer, and I don't really understand how it works or what it's for. Wii U will not in ANY way sell like the Wii did. With the Wii, both me and my parents wanted one, so we bought two. With this one, neither I nor my parents are interested at all.

Propogate and extrapolate!

But that's because making people understand it's a new console with new controls solves both problems... not because it's the same problem.
:facepalm:We're both talking about product differentiation. Differentiation is making people understand what it is, and then how it's different (if it's different). Since Nintendo isn't generally stupid, and they've made the second-screen concept a key part of their console design philosophy, explaining it and making the value of it clear is going to have to be a key part of their marketing.

The Wii-U has a bit of a unique problem compared to the 720/PS4 because a huge part of the Wii's install-base are non-gamers/non-premium gaming customers, and second-screen interoperability (and as you mentioned, making it clear it's not a Wii accessory) is something that's going to be key to get those people to re-purchase. Xbox and Sony won't have that problem unless they set out to take those people from Nintendo, and it doesn't seem like they're really going to beyond a couple gimmicks like Wonderbook.

No one says MS's or Sony's attempts at using tablets/smartphones to control their old consoles are confusing.
Actually, after E3, lots of people were saying it about SmartGlass, and confusing it with Surface. Since then, MS has simply come out and said, "Surface is a Tablet PC" and has stopped really talking about SmartGlass since the app platform isn't ready yet anyways.

Sony's attempts seemed clearer, but Vita sales don't haven't improved since they started running those commercials.

To add to Miseur Prime's point, with the Wii, they told me "It's motion controls, you can swing the controller and stuff," and I went, "Ah! That is cool!"

For the Wii U, I have been told, "The controller has a screen, and you control stuff separately from the screen," and I go, "Oh. What? Why? Like menus and things? Or what?"
That's because "stuff" is a very generic term, which is why they need to make better videos to show what the gamepad does.

:facepalm:We're both talking about product differentiation. Differentiation is making people understand what it is, and then how it's different (if it's different). Since Nintendo isn't generally stupid, and they've made the second-screen concept a key part of their console design philosophy, explaining it and making the value of it clear is going to have to be a key part of their marketing.

The Wii-U has a bit of a unique problem compared to the 720/PS4 because a huge part of the Wii's install-base are non-gamers/non-premium gaming customers, and second-screen interoperability (and as you mentioned, making it clear it's not a Wii accessory) is something that's going to be key to get those people to re-purchase. Xbox and Sony won't have that problem unless they set out to take those people from Nintendo, and it doesn't seem like they're really going to beyond a couple gimmicks like Wonderbook.

Product differentiation covers a lot more then that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_differentiation#Rationale

Which means you can differentiate in a lot of ways, so while from a marketing perspective you can treat the problems under the same marketing type, it doesn't mean they're the same problem...

Explaining how to use the gamepad without making it clear it's for a new console won't really help people understand it's not a accessory for the Wii.

Actually, after E3, lots of people were saying it about SmartGlass, and confusing it with Surface. Since then, MS has simply come out and said, "Surface is a Tablet PC" and has stopped really talking about SmartGlass since the app platform isn't ready yet anyways.
So they where confusing it with another tablet related MS thing? No wonder i didn't notice that.

Which is why they really have to do both.
Well of course they do, better safe then sorry is the best policy for a reason.

My point was that it's not going to be that much harder then motion controls (as in explicitly show everyone the way it can used).

What will require more work is making the video, as showing someone waiving a stick around is much easier then showing them using a touch-screen,but as a concept to be assimilated by the human mind it's about the same (as long as the minds are familiar with touch-screens, sticks being universal, hence my apple comment at the start).

figmentPez

Staff member
I remember people getting mad cause kids tossed their wii motes through the TV when the Wii first came out. Isn't that why they have a stronger strap now?
We heard you threw your Wii-mote through your TV screen. So we put a screen in your Wii-mote so you can throw your TV through your TV.

Nintendo released a 14 minute video detailing everything about their new and (hopefully) improved online network:

TLDW: No more friend codes, Nintendo user ID linked to Mii to access downloadable content from anywhere including smart phones, can transfer Wii VC data to Wii U.

I'm not super thrilled at the public social network thing when I have kids playing. Hopefully it will be controllable based on Mii account. I don't mind my son having access to his friends (and I'd rather not have to have them on my friends list just so he can play with them if need be), but I don't want him to have to be completely open to the public if I choose to let him use a Nintendo ID.

Not any good news, but apparently the WiiU ports of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Mass Effect 3 are absolute technical messes. Worse even, than the Ps3 versions.

That bullshit they spouted at E3 about it being super easy to port 360 versions over to the WiiU was apparently that, bullshit.

And considering the technical messes Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 already are, I can't imagine it's smooth sailing ahead for WiiU owners looking for anything outside of 1st party games.

Not any good news, but apparently the WiiU ports of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Mass Effect 3 are absolute technical messes. Worse even, than the Ps3 versions.
Where are you seeing the reports of Ninja Gaiden 3 being a "technical mess"? The reviews I've seen make out the pre-existing issues of the game as the biggest problems, and even then some say the Wii U version is better than the existing versions. It might not look quite as good, but that could simply be a result of typical launch day game unfamilarity with the system

Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this. Plus, at this stage it’s nice – if admittedly a novelty – to be playing a Nintendo game in high-definition.

"- Muddy visuals, jaggies, occasional framerate stutters"
IGN

Early Wii U adopters can rest easy in that this iteration of Ninja Gaiden 3 can visually stand on equal footing with its other console siblings, at least until too many things start happening at once. The framerate noticeable stutters at times when the screen starts to bustle with activity -- an unfortunate circumstance that shows up especially whenever rocket-totting enemies appear. It's weird because sometimes you almost expect everything to chug, but it doesn't. A helicopter boss battle in the second chapter ran fine at times, but would suddenly slow down out of nowhere. It's difficult to pinpoint the cause of these slowdown issues, but they happen. The slower combat speed shows off a visually satisfying combat system, an unexpected outcome, for sure. I wonder if the results will inspire some ambitious YouTube producer to make slowdown videos of other visually stimulating video games.

1-UP

Not ringing endorsements.

Which don't sound close to calling it a technical mess. Again, sounds like some minor visual issues (IGN can only say it's "arguably uglier", so it doesn't sound like a huge difference), potentially resulting from launch day unfamilarity with the system.

I guess I have higher standards for a brand new console than arguably uglier than a version on a 7 year old console.

I guess I have higher standards for a brand new console than arguably uglier than a version on a 7 year old console.
I didn't say you couldn't, but your characterizations of the reviews didn't match what I was seeing, with reviews generally more favorable to the Wii U version than the Xbox360/PS3 versions. Personally, I'll be more concerned depending on feedback to new games, rather than ports of older ones. Also, as ME3 is concerned, more not done by EA.

I'm just not excited for this console at all. Maybe when a new Mario or Metroid hits, but until then, I've seen nothing that warrants me getting one of these.

ZombiU is basically the only game I've seen for the WiiU that is doing ANYTHING interesting with the tablet. It's also the only game I'm at all interested in.

At first I was like, "that first screenshot just hasn't finished rendering yet." And then I realized, "it shouldn't have to take the time."

So pretty much another Nintendo console that's going to survive chiefly on the first-party games. Good luck, Nintendo. You're gonna need it.

I guess I should have specified a Mario game that's not another New Super Mario Bros., because they refuse to change the playstyle of those from one to the next.

I've got the first one on Wii and the one released on DS, and they both play nearly identical. At least with the other numbered versions of Mario games the gameplay felt a bit fresh each time. These are sad cash-ins.

The wii u feels like too little too late for me. It's great that nintendo has finally caught up to the other two in terms of power, but it seems like they are going to be left in the dust once the ps4/xbox720's come out. I know that with the wii current, power wasn't the goal and it created it's own market by enticing casuals into gaming and relying on their core titles. However, I think for that casual market at least, smart phones and tablets have taken that crowd over now, and there doesn't seem to be much that the wii u offers to pull in the "hardcore" crowd that they can't already get on the current PS/Xbox and won't, almost undoubtedly, be able to get better on the next versions.

I think we're still a couple years from the next-gen of Playstation or Xbox.

But I doubt a lot of people with those systems are going to buy a Wii U for third-party games they could play on the other systems. I don't know how strong Nintendo's pull is with their own stuff for that matter. I got rid of my Wii knowing that Skyward Sword would be out a month later. I loved Bayonetta, but I'm not getting a Wii U just to play the sequel.

I think we're still a couple years from the next-gen of Playstation or Xbox.

But I doubt a lot of people with those systems are going to buy a Wii U for third-party games they could play on the other systems. I don't know how strong Nintendo's pull is with their own stuff for that matter. I got rid of my Wii knowing that Skyward Sword would be out a month later. I loved Bayonetta, but I'm not getting a Wii U just to play the sequel.
I haven't finished a LoZ since Minish Cap. Got maybe 60% into TP and just got bored, have no real interest in Skyward Sword. If they give me something on par with Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime, I might start considering the system, but they'd have to be ridiculously amazing.

I will admit a new Smash Bros would probably do a lot of convincing, though.

I haven't finished a LoZ since Minish Cap. Got maybe 60% into TP and just got bored, have no real interest in Skyward Sword. If they give me something on par with Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime, I might start considering the system, but they'd have to be ridiculously amazing.

I will admit a new Smash Bros would probably do a lot of convincing, though.
Smash Brothers Brawl was a big draw for the Wii, but I never had as much fun with it as I did with Melee. The movement was off for some reason--it never felt as smooth. Not sure why. Also didn't care for the characters' limit breaks.

Twilight Princess was a huge disappointment and while the last couple of bosses were the highlight of the game, you weren't missing much. Nintendo did a better job with the DS games than Twilight Princess. If it weren't for the timed portions in the Ocean Palace, I'd want to go through Phantom Hourglass again.

Status
Not open for further replies.