[Console] So the Wii U just got a release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, what I really want is a DS Metroid side-scroller. I'd never want anything else out of Nintendo if I could just have a new Metroid.

So, I had the chance to try the Rayman demo in Gamestop a few days ago. And I've watched a 10-minute gameplay video of Zombie U (which sounds less like a video game and more like a university for zombies).

Honestly, I've yet to be sold on this gimmicky crap. It feels very counter-intuitive to have to keep looking between two different screens. I already know that, for myself, that sort of thing would not only hard to keep keep up with, but would take me out of any narrative the game is trying to tell. Watching the Zombie U gameplay, for example, it kept having this message pop up on the screen that said, "Look at your Wii U controller" while the character would just stand there doing nothing on the main screen like they forgot what they were doing. I assume the controller screen showed things like crosshairs for shooting and the insides of things she was searching (a crate or her backpack), but that would require looking at more than one screen at a time.

The same can be said for Rayman. It kept reminding me to look at the screen and honestly, I kept forgetting to because I was trying to play it like a regular game with a controller. Honestly, I kept my head down most of the time, looking at the gameplay on the controller rather than the 20" television. It might as well be a portable device, if that's the case. But then, when I actually needed to look at the main screen and not the controller, there was no indication of such on the controller screen.

So yeah, to say that all my concerns and worries about this gimmicky crap has been realized and, in fact, exceeded my expectations does not bode well for it. I'm sure tech geeks will think it's neat, but in terms of creating any kind of good gaming experience that isn't frustrating? I have a feeling the Wii U will not be able to do anything but create frustrating scenarios.

Looking at two screens on a DS works because they're about an inch and a half long and right next to each other, both within your vision. Wii U wants you to alternate between looking ahead and looking at your lap. Doesn't work.

Ugh, the more I read about the Wii-U's hardware, the less interested I become.

Shoddy, low end RAM that runs 43% slower than the PS3's XDR RAM.

So, expect more nonsense like that shitty texture loading Batman Arkham City. 1st party only box.

Do people even buy a nintendo console expecting it to be the best? The last time they did anything graphically innovative was Mode 7.

I'll get one eventually for the first party titles, but really, that's been the case from the Game Cube forward.

What I am most curious about is when Nintendo suddenly got all the third party developers on board again. Checking out the games list I see Bayonetta 2, Assassins Creed 3, Tekken Tag, Black Ops 2, even older games like Arkham City and Mass Effect 3. Why did they start doing this after I decided to abandon consoles forever? Arg.

Necronic

Staff member
I would be highly suspicious of 3rd part devs on Wii for the exact reason that Bowielee mentioned. Wii is not, and is not expected to be, high end hardware. I don't think that the developers will intentionally scale back their games to fully fit the Wii hardware, and they won't completely rewrite the game just to fit the Wii, so that would make me think that these games will likely run poorly on the Wii.

What I am most curious about is when Nintendo suddenly got all the third party developers on board again. Checking out the games list I see Bayonetta 2, Assassins Creed 3, Tekken Tag, Black Ops 2, even older games like Arkham City and Mass Effect 3. Why did they start doing this after I decided to abandon consoles forever? Arg.
Platinum Games (and Bayonetta) is basically going 2nd party for Nintendo this generation, I believe... once Metal Gear Rising is done anyway.

I would be highly suspicious of 3rd part devs on Wii for the exact reason that Bowielee mentioned. Wii is not, and is not expected to be, high end hardware. I don't think that the developers will intentionally scale back their games to fully fit the Wii hardware, and they won't completely rewrite the game just to fit the Wii, so that would make me think that these games will likely run poorly on the Wii.
While the Wii U isn't high end hardware, it doesn't take much to be as good or better than the other currently active consoles. So developers may not need to intentionally scale back their games for now. Once the next gen of xbox/PS comes out, sure, but there's still some time before that happens.

I think, more importantly than graphics, is how these late-release cross-platform games will utilize the touchpad/Wiimotes. They were designed with normal controllers in mind, I imagine, and at most would probably slap a map or inventory on the touchpad and call it a day.

I think, more importantly than graphics, is how these late-release cross-platform games will utilize the touchpad/Wiimotes. They were designed with normal controllers in mind, I imagine, and at most would probably slap a map or inventory on the touchpad and call it a day.
Sounds like the early days of the DS. And you're right.

I only Have nintendoland and Super Mario Brothers Wii-U. Nintendoland feels like a giant party game tech demo, Super Mario Bros feels like more of the same without a full set of players or someone on the pad helping you. It is kind of cool being able to play the game on the pad, I have used this feature multiple times while away from the tv doing stuff to pick up and play. I hope to pick up some other games soonish.

I picked up Scribblenauts for my son, which he will love the crap out of, but he can't use it until Christmas since it's going under the tree. :p

I dunno, they're there, but it's incredibly half-hearted so far.

EA is being especially passive aggressive with how shoddy their Wii-U titles are.[DOUBLEPOST=1353469416][/DOUBLEPOST]Quote from one of the Metro: Last Light devs

Chief technical officer, Oles Shishkovtsov, explains why Metro’s sequel won’t be appearing.

“[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” explained Shishkovtsov. “We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it, but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game – potentially to its detriment – we just figured it wasn’t worth pursuing at this time. It’s something we might return to. I really couldn’t make any promises, though.”

Despite Nintendo’s console offering Metro: Last Light new experiences to its players with it dual screens, when asked Shishkovtsov was adamant that the Wii U would ever seen Metro: Last Light when asked directly.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1353469649][/DOUBLEPOST]One of the funny parts is even with all the cost cutting Nintendo's done with the Wii-U (shoddy RAM, the shameless downsizing of the tablet's battery), they're still eating a loss on each one sold, something Nintendo avoids usually.

I only Have nintendoland and Super Mario Brothers Wii-U. Nintendoland feels like a giant party game tech demo, Super Mario Bros feels like more of the same without a full set of players or someone on the pad helping you. It is kind of cool being able to play the game on the pad, I have used this feature multiple times while away from the tv doing stuff to pick up and play. I hope to pick up some other games soonish.
So, like having a handheld.

pretty much...except I would never spend money on a handheld as the amounts of time I want to play video games while I am at work and school is basically zero. it is just kind of neat. I get that all of you have already decided it is crap, but I really just want it for the occasional time I want to play something. I am not as hardcore as I use to be and not anything compared to the rest of you apparently.

I'm just really bummed out about it. I was expecting it to be at least more powerful than the current gen consoles. To be a Dreamcast of this generation. To have some really fantastic first party games and slightly better versions of the multiplat stuff. So far, it doesn't even have the amazing first party stuff and Nintendo has announced bupkiss in that department (outside of Pikmin) and the multiplat stuff is downright worse. All for a tablet controller that has 3 hours of battery life.

pretty much...except I would never spend money on a handheld as the amounts of time I want to play video games while I am at work and school is basically zero. it is just kind of neat. I get that all of you have already decided it is crap, but I really just want it for the occasional time I want to play something. I am not as hardcore as I use to be and not anything compared to the rest of you apparently.
There's a difference between -being hardcore- and not settling for 7yr old graphics on a new system just because it morphs into a handheld and has a gimmick that will never see real potential.

I'm just really bummed out about it. I was expecting it to be at least more powerful than the current gen consoles. To be a Dreamcast of this generation. To have some really fantastic first party games and slightly better versions of the multiplat stuff. So far, it doesn't even have the amazing first party stuff and Nintendo has announced bupkiss in that department (outside of Pikmin) and the multiplat stuff is downright worse. All for a tablet controller that has 3 hours of battery life.
You mean other than AC3, DS2, and BO2? All of which look about the same, just slightly different enough that there are people arguing that either side looks just a bit better.

You mean other than AC3, DS2, and BO2? All of which look about the same, just slightly different enough that there are people arguing that either side looks just a bit better.
The screenshots that were posted really prove it's not just a slight difference. FYI they shouldn't look -a little worse but not really that different- they should be better on newer hardware.

The screenshots that were posted really prove it's not just a slight difference. FYI they shouldn't look -a little worse but not really that different- they should be better on newer hardware.
Notice Arkham City isn't one of the games I mentioned. But then, Arkham City on Wii U is a port of a game that's been out for a year already on other systems (so how many sales are they expecting to get?) and was outsourced to another developer. Probably not one they put a much effort into. Black Ops 2, on the other hand, probably gives the edge to the Wii U over the other consoles.

Wii-U Darksiders 2 has a lower FPS than the 360 or the PS3 version.

Wii-U Blops 2

360 Blops 2

As for Assassin's Creed 3, I can't find anything on it so maybe it is in better shape (considering what a buggy mess it is anyway).

I play my handhelds largely at home. It's cheaper and the games are more "occasional time" friendly than at-home console games. Just seems odd to pay so much more money for about the same thing if that's what it's to be used for, especially if you're carrying it to the kitchen or around the house.

I would like it if the Wii U was good, but Nintendo seems to have its head up its ass this year. Hopefully they'll fix that.

Black Ops 2, on the other hand, probably gives the edge to the Wii U over the other consoles.
Now I'm guessing you're just kidding/trolling?

I just said it's not good enough for a brand new piece of console hardware to be even in the realm of closeness to 10yr old tech. It's why people are calling it bad. I'll go a step further, most titles are rehashes of games with no innovation. The good games that come out are very few and far between, usually further ruined by gimmick.

It's not just the Wii U that does this obviously, see Mass Effect 3 and Kinect, but at least Microsoft gives you the option to ignore the gimmick.

Ah, I see, you were discussing a different point than me. Understandable.
Am I? Perhaps you would clarify your point? Is it that the WiiU is lesser/equal/slightly greater than 10yr old tech and that's ok/good/impressive?

Now I should clarify again, I don't think graphics is what MAKES a good game at all, and Nintendo has some really great first party games. Problem with that? We see ONE of those branded games per generation, MAYBE 2.

I'm merely responding to Frank's statement of the multiplat stuff being downright worse. That's it. I'm not getting into how much better the Wii U stuff should be and whether or not it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.