So, that Rick Perry "Strong" ad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very difficult to separate the two, in his case. He does not have a long and storied history of success, public appeal, municipal improvement, financial brilliance, positive approval ratings, heroism, responsibility, nor even a reality show. So instead he has to find some other sort of commonality to ingratiate himself with the masses, and he is going with what he knows. He's leaning rather hard on it, though...as if it's the only solid leg he has to stand on.

--Patrick

Wuss. Post as your real account.
Last 2 times i did i got no response from Shego, and one was about Warcraft books...

Ok can we not make this about a religious person. this is not about a religious person this is about an asshole the fact that he is using religion isn't really the point. He is an asshole.
How is pointing out that having two or more contradictory accounts of an event both/all sources claim is real isn't proof enough to declare the event to be fictional (if it was neither us or the hungarians would be in Transylvania), and that the existance of oral tradition makes it so that writting it down first tells us nothing about the actual source of the story making it about a religious person?

And yes, he is an asshole...

M

makare

So now we are going to get in the same religion/faith/atheist argument we always get into and just disregard the fact that this kind of person would find a way to alienate and hurt people no matter what he believed. He is a demagogue that does his best to incite the basest us vs them fears in order to seem like a savior in his own right. He is a bad person. The fact that he is a bad religious person is not the point. Whether any religions stories are true or factual or just parables is not the point. The point is Rick Perry is an example of why we need to be constantly vigilant in how we look at people who run for office and seek power.

I dispute you call him calling him a bad person. Because it's not enough. It's not just bad to brag about how many people you've had executed. It was a fucking APPLAUSE LINE for cryin' out loud. It's not just bad to so vehemently defend executing a man who might have been innocent all along.

He's not bad. He's fucking evil.

M

makare

I like it best that the redeemed grinch is saying THAT guy is evil. hehe

carry on. this is quite serious I just segued there.

Warcraft books? I must have missed that.
I actually brought it up again in that thread, but i'm not sure i actually quoted you or my post that quoted you...

Here you go: https://www.halforums.com/threads/what-are-you-reading-thread.26195/page-2#post-874601

Whether any religions stories are true or factual or just parables is not the point. The point is Rick Perry is an example of why we need to be constantly vigilant in how we look at people who run for office and seek power.

No, my point is that Perry being a grade A asshole doesn't excuse using bad logic in an argument against him...

Especially when there's so many good arguments to be had.

Ahem...

I refuse to prove that I exist, for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing

I think you misunderstand, my issue was with Shego's logic, and not anything to do with Tex McAsshole's "beliefs".

I mean if God showed up right now and proved his existance to everyone it wont make the banana argument any less retarded...

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, it's all coming to the good now - hopefully he screws up his political campaign bad enough that he loses reelection in Texas as well. It's just a pity the only reasonable expectation for a replacement will be a democrat.

GasBandit

Staff member
I thought they liked that shit in Texas.
What you know about Texas, despite my best efforts it seems, could fit into a shot glass without drinking the whisky first. The only reason Rick Perry is governor is because our other choices have been Bill White and Chris Bell. Frankly, the hope is that Perry's national campaign will go so badly that he won't even run for gubernatorial re-election, and thus we can have a different governor without having to have it be a democrat. Of course, I voted libertarian in all those elections, so it's not like whatever happens affects my ballot.

See, and obviously you aren't the status quo in Texas. Otherwise the candidate you want to win would. Well, at least one anyways. Maybe it's stuff like this or this that makes me think maybe Texas isn't all that kind to gays. Maybe I should just believe everything you tell me instead.

GasBandit

Staff member
See, and obviously you aren't the status quo in Texas. Otherwise the candidate you want to win would. Well, at least one anyways. Maybe it's stuff like this or this that makes me think maybe Texas isn't all that kind to gays. Maybe I should just believe everything you tell me instead.
Well, if you're going to go by those articles, I guess you better include Pennsylvania and the UK in that list of violent homophobia.

The second article said:
Recently, a gay man in Scotland was murdered and found by the roadside, beaten to death and burned, and almost the same day, two men doused a former friend, a gay man, in Pennsylvania with alcohol and lit him on fire.

GasBandit

Staff member
"Texas is hostile towards gays but so are other places so no big"
Which is not what I said. But I know how you and Krisken like to sit up their in your frozen northern "workers paradise" and swap stories about how scary and deadly it must be to live in Texas. After all, it's state law we lynch a homo on the morning commute at least every 3 days, in Texas, right?

Which is not what I said. But I know how you and Krisken like to sit up their in your frozen northern "workers paradise" and swap stories about how scary and deadly it must be to live in Texas. After all, it's state law we lynch a homo on the morning commute at least every 3 days, in Texas, right?
Which isn't what either of us said either. Tit for tat?

Take out "homo" and that's pretty much my morning commute every 3 days, and I live in Texas. I think Krisken may be on to something....

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, my mistake. I missed the whole outrage by the state over the bill. Was there an outrage?
There wasn't much fanfare over the bill in either direction - I actually hadn't heard of it until this thread. I guess I'd better tell my gay friends and acquaintances that they're in violation of the law. Soon as I'm done dragging them behind my pickup truck or whatever it is we Texans do to queers these days.

M

makare

I don't think I have said much about Texas... ever. Not sure what Gas is referring to.

There wasn't much fanfare over the bill in either direction - I actually hadn't heard of it until this thread. I guess I'd better tell my gay friends and acquaintances that they're in violation of the law. Soon as I'm done dragging them behind my pickup truck or whatever it is we Texans do to queers these days.
Don't you have some Mexicans to harass first?

M

makare

To recap- Ricky Perry sucks, everything's bigger in Texas including homophobia, and douchiness knows no faith based limitations.

Necronic

Staff member
Actually Texas isn't that homophobic. You have Austin, called "the San Fransisco of the South", and then you have Montrose, in Houston, one of the biggest gay neighborhoods in the US, in the only city of it's size with an openly gay (lesbian) Mayor.

I will agree that most other things are bigger in Texas, including stereotypes. Anyone else find anything ironic with the statement "I can't stand [large diverse group], there are all prejudiced".

Derp.

M

makare

That was actually just me picking on Gas. there are homophobes everywhere. Even my beloved Sodak has had some of the most horrible incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.