Export thread

So, that Rick Perry "Strong" ad...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on this (I searched and everything). I'll just post the video, I think it really speaks for itself.

phil

phil

I downvoted it and flagged it as hate speech against homosexuals. I hadn't realized he'd completely gone off the deep end. It's like he wants to out Bachman Bachman.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

18,000 likes
608,000 dislikes

He's got this election in the bag.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

"Gays hate Christmas" - Rick Perry.

Krisken

Krisken

Is he mad about the gays because they used his favorite jacket in Brokeback Mountain?

makare

I think that ad is deserving of all sorts of ridicule and is in itself hysterical in a way. However, let's not forget how terrifying it really is. I mean that he felt comfortable saying those things, not eluding to it or implying it, flat out saying it. I think that is a pretty horrifying statement about the way things are going these days, at least on that side of the fence... the kookoo conservative side.

Overflight

That number of dislikes makes me feel good about humanity.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That number of dislikes makes me feel good about humanity.
The bad news: 1 out of every 34 YouTube viewers wants to see Rick Perry grow up to be President.

--Patrick

Necronic

Necronic

The good news is that he ran this campaign so poorly it may cost him the gubernatorial election.

Dave

Dave

I think we should start a movement decrying the "War on Ramadan." Or Hannakuh. Channakuh. Umm...Hanukkah? That one Jewish holiday I can never spell...

Krisken

Krisken

The war on Festivus.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Lol, silly me, here i was thinking this country was founded by people trying to escape an enforced governmental religion. Whelp, we all better brush up on the rules for the church of england.

makare

I have always felt that we live in a victim culture where the victims and those downtrodden on are celebrated and the underdog is always the preferred choice. The Religious Right just wants a piece of that. I will not say Christians because having some of the things I believe lumped in with these ignorant bastards pisses me off! "I am not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian" well guess what Rick I am ashamed that you CALL yourself a Christian. Forgive my hyperbole but Rick Perry is to Christianity what Al Qaeda is to Islam.

The idea that the Religious Right, the immense powerful Christian majority is being persecuted in any form is ludicrous. It takes a very high level of intentional active ignorance to believe it. The mental gymnastics required to pull that crap is astounding. I would be impressed if I wasn't so busy feeling sick about it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I enjoy the fact that the entire religions of Christianity and Catholosism can be factually disproved in today's society and yet people cling to it as something with merit. Merit enough to use it as grounds for your entire Presidential Campaign.

Look if you want to ignore facts and go off "faith", then more power to you, but don't insult the rest of us by trying to run for President on that motto.

Adam

Adammon

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Necronic

Necronic

I enjoy the fact that the entire religions of Christianity and Catholosism can be factually disproved in today's society and yet people cling to it as something with merit. Merit enough to use it as grounds for your entire Presidential Campaign.

Look if you want to ignore facts and go off "faith", then more power to you, but don't insult the rest of us by trying to run for President on that motto.
How can you factually disprove an anti-intellectual assertion? I never get why people fall into this rabbit-hole.

-------------

Anyways, one thing that always tickles me is when people talk about how the founding fathers may have pushed for a separation of church and state, but they were all fundamentally Christians and assumed that this was a Christian nation.

For some reason they never seem to listen when you point out that a large chunk of the founding fathers were Deists (or heavily Deist leaning):

Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Paine
Alexander Hamilton
James Madison
George Washington
Benjamin Franklin

and many more.

But then you have to explain to them what Deism is.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Easily, by proving that most of the fundemental stories that the entire belief is based upon are plagiarised from older stories (not similar, straight out plagiarism) and that dates used and locations for certain events have been scientifically and factually disproven multiple times.

So yeah, it can be and has.

That is not the discussion here, I've already stated that if someone wants to have faith in something regardless of facts, that is entirely their choice but they can't expect it to be the grounds for a Presidential election because just like any major religious official, when confronted with the fallicies in their religion, they'll have nothing to fall back on and stumble on what they "believe" that it makes the entire "base" of their campaign weak.

GasBandit

GasBandit

How can you factually disprove an anti-intellectual assertion? I never get why people fall into this rabbit-hole.
This is a trap I often fall into as well - disproving a specific religion vs disproving faith in general, or the existence of a creator.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Oh I'd never try to disprove "faith". It can't be done. Neither can be the "creator" etc.

What can be, is the majority of major stories in the Bible and they have. Multiple times. As strong as your "faith" is and how much you want to make excuses for it, they are mostly just "inspiring stories" being told, but it's still Fiction.

Necronic

Necronic

Easily, by proving that most of the fundemental stories that the entire belief is based upon are plagiarised from older stories (not similar, straight out plagiarism) and that dates used and locations for certain events have been scientifically and factually disproven multiple times.

So yeah, it can be and has.

That is not the discussion here, I've already stated that if someone wants to have faith in something regardless of facts, that is entirely their choice but they can't expect it to be the grounds for a Presidential election because just like any major religious official, when confronted with the fallicies in their religion, they'll have nothing to fall back on and stumble on what they "believe" that it makes the entire "base" of their campaign weak.
I don't disagree with your conclusion, religion really has no place in politics, especially not "elect me because I'm closer to god holla-back-yall."

I just think that how you got there is wrong (or maybe I misunderstand you). As Gas said, there's a difference between proving that the historical documents of a religion are more mythology than factual and proving that an anti-intellectual concept of faith is logically false.

One you can do, the other is impossible by definition.

Edit: Ah you ninja'd me. Damn ninjas.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

:ninja:

Anyway, this isn't a general religious debate, it's about how stupid Rick Perry is and how funny it is that he thinks he has any chance at this election.

His latest Youtube video has comments/voting disabled. :rofl:

Necronic

Necronic

Well he has faith.

Actually someone needs to get do a mash-up with George Michael's "Faith" song and a bunch of things of Rick Perry praying and his polling numbers continuing to drop.

It works on a lot of levels.

Because he's gay.

makare

I just get so annoyed that people claim to have strong faith or strong Religious faith, as the case may be, but it seems that unless they subject every other person on earth to their beliefs their faith is damaged. I mean really? Your faith is that weak that it can't survive different people having differing views? If your kid does not get to pray at school he will lose his faith? How about you pray at home or is taking responsibility to teach your kid your values just too much work? I mean it's just absurd really.

Man this really is starting to make me angry. This kind of ad and political platform is everything this country (the US >.>) was meant to be against. It's just so frustrating!

Necronic

Necronic

Really it's not that bad considering. Perry is only doing this because he is desperately trying to grab onto the religious right in....whatever state it is....I can't remember. No candidate that was doing well would ever consider doing something like this because most people have the reaction to it that we do (in one form or another).

But he already lost all of the reasonable voters by making the critical error of speaking.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I downvoted it and flagged it as hate speech against homosexuals. I hadn't realized he'd completely gone off the deep end. It's like he wants to out Bachman Bachman.
OK, I've just done the same thing. Thanks, I did not seriously consider doing it before.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If Rick Perry's Faith is so strong, he doesn't need our vote. He can just pray his way into the White House.

--Patrick

makare

I think Perry can believe all he wants but he isn't going to get anything. He is a douche

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Rick Parry

Easily, by proving that most of the fundamental stories that the entire belief is based upon are plagiarised from older stories (not similar, straight out plagiarism)
You do realise that using that as proof relies on assuming the stories are made up in the first place, right?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wuss. Post as your real account.

makare

i think it is a joke?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't. It sounded like that of someone wanting to pry open a conversation, but with the account presence of someone without a spine.

makare

Ok can we not make this about a religious person. this is not about a religious person this is about an asshole the fact that he is using religion isn't really the point. He is an asshole.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's very difficult to separate the two, in his case. He does not have a long and storied history of success, public appeal, municipal improvement, financial brilliance, positive approval ratings, heroism, responsibility, nor even a reality show. So instead he has to find some other sort of commonality to ingratiate himself with the masses, and he is going with what he knows. He's leaning rather hard on it, though...as if it's the only solid leg he has to stand on.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

Wuss. Post as your real account.
Last 2 times i did i got no response from Shego, and one was about Warcraft books...

Ok can we not make this about a religious person. this is not about a religious person this is about an asshole the fact that he is using religion isn't really the point. He is an asshole.
How is pointing out that having two or more contradictory accounts of an event both/all sources claim is real isn't proof enough to declare the event to be fictional (if it was neither us or the hungarians would be in Transylvania), and that the existance of oral tradition makes it so that writting it down first tells us nothing about the actual source of the story making it about a religious person?

And yes, he is an asshole...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Warcraft books? I must have missed that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You do realise that using that as proof relies on assuming the stories are made up in the first place, right?
Ahem...
God said:
I refuse to prove that I exist, for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing

makare

So now we are going to get in the same religion/faith/atheist argument we always get into and just disregard the fact that this kind of person would find a way to alienate and hurt people no matter what he believed. He is a demagogue that does his best to incite the basest us vs them fears in order to seem like a savior in his own right. He is a bad person. The fact that he is a bad religious person is not the point. Whether any religions stories are true or factual or just parables is not the point. The point is Rick Perry is an example of why we need to be constantly vigilant in how we look at people who run for office and seek power.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I dispute you call him calling him a bad person. Because it's not enough. It's not just bad to brag about how many people you've had executed. It was a fucking APPLAUSE LINE for cryin' out loud. It's not just bad to so vehemently defend executing a man who might have been innocent all along.

He's not bad. He's fucking evil.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's not just bad to so vehemently defend executing a man who might have been innocent all along.

He's not bad. He's fucking evil.
After reading that article... HOLY SHITBALLS.

makare

I like it best that the redeemed grinch is saying THAT guy is evil. hehe

carry on. this is quite serious I just segued there.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Warcraft books? I must have missed that.
I actually brought it up again in that thread, but i'm not sure i actually quoted you or my post that quoted you...

Here you go: https://www.halforums.com/threads/what-are-you-reading-thread.26195/page-2#post-874601

Whether any religions stories are true or factual or just parables is not the point. The point is Rick Perry is an example of why we need to be constantly vigilant in how we look at people who run for office and seek power.

No, my point is that Perry being a grade A asshole doesn't excuse using bad logic in an argument against him...

Especially when there's so many good arguments to be had.

Ahem...

I refuse to prove that I exist, for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing

I think you misunderstand, my issue was with Shego's logic, and not anything to do with Tex McAsshole's "beliefs".

I mean if God showed up right now and proved his existance to everyone it wont make the banana argument any less retarded...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I think you misunderstand, my issue was with Shego's logic, and not anything to do with Tex McAsshole's "beliefs".
I figured as much. He's hating his way into irrelevancy now. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, it's all coming to the good now - hopefully he screws up his political campaign bad enough that he loses reelection in Texas as well. It's just a pity the only reasonable expectation for a replacement will be a democrat.

Krisken

Krisken

I thought they liked that shit in Texas.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I thought they liked that shit in Texas.
What you know about Texas, despite my best efforts it seems, could fit into a shot glass without drinking the whisky first. The only reason Rick Perry is governor is because our other choices have been Bill White and Chris Bell. Frankly, the hope is that Perry's national campaign will go so badly that he won't even run for gubernatorial re-election, and thus we can have a different governor without having to have it be a democrat. Of course, I voted libertarian in all those elections, so it's not like whatever happens affects my ballot.

Krisken

Krisken

See, and obviously you aren't the status quo in Texas. Otherwise the candidate you want to win would. Well, at least one anyways. Maybe it's stuff like this or this that makes me think maybe Texas isn't all that kind to gays. Maybe I should just believe everything you tell me instead.

GasBandit

GasBandit

See, and obviously you aren't the status quo in Texas. Otherwise the candidate you want to win would. Well, at least one anyways. Maybe it's stuff like this or this that makes me think maybe Texas isn't all that kind to gays. Maybe I should just believe everything you tell me instead.
Well, if you're going to go by those articles, I guess you better include Pennsylvania and the UK in that list of violent homophobia.

The second article said:
Recently, a gay man in Scotland was murdered and found by the roadside, beaten to death and burned, and almost the same day, two men doused a former friend, a gay man, in Pennsylvania with alcohol and lit him on fire.

makare

"Texas is hostile towards gays but so are other places so no big"

Krisken

Krisken

Well, if you're going to go by those articles, I guess you better include Pennsylvania and the UK in that list of violent homophobia.
Possibly my favorite bad argument ever.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Texas is hostile towards gays but so are other places so no big"
Which is not what I said. But I know how you and Krisken like to sit up their in your frozen northern "workers paradise" and swap stories about how scary and deadly it must be to live in Texas. After all, it's state law we lynch a homo on the morning commute at least every 3 days, in Texas, right?

Krisken

Krisken

Which is not what I said. But I know how you and Krisken like to sit up their in your frozen northern "workers paradise" and swap stories about how scary and deadly it must be to live in Texas. After all, it's state law we lynch a homo on the morning commute at least every 3 days, in Texas, right?
Which isn't what either of us said either. Tit for tat?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Which isn't what either of us said either. Tit for tat?
It's what you both imply in every. single. conversation. involving Texas.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Take out "homo" and that's pretty much my morning commute every 3 days, and I live in Texas. I think Krisken may be on to something....

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

:Leyla: The band Texas is also from Scotland. Coincidence?! I THINK NOT!!

Krisken

Krisken

Oh, my mistake. I missed the whole outrage by the state over the bill. Was there an outrage?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, my mistake. I missed the whole outrage by the state over the bill. Was there an outrage?
There wasn't much fanfare over the bill in either direction - I actually hadn't heard of it until this thread. I guess I'd better tell my gay friends and acquaintances that they're in violation of the law. Soon as I'm done dragging them behind my pickup truck or whatever it is we Texans do to queers these days.

Krisken

Krisken

Good to know you're on top of things.

makare

I don't think I have said much about Texas... ever. Not sure what Gas is referring to.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Good to know you're on top of things.
Giggity

Krisken

Krisken

There wasn't much fanfare over the bill in either direction - I actually hadn't heard of it until this thread. I guess I'd better tell my gay friends and acquaintances that they're in violation of the law. Soon as I'm done dragging them behind my pickup truck or whatever it is we Texans do to queers these days.
Don't you have some Mexicans to harass first?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Don't you have some Mexicans to harass first?
Ooh, shit. I forgot about that. Damn, they've surely taken by jerb by now.

makare

also your dog

GasBandit

GasBandit

also your dog
Nah, I trained the dog to bite minorities, gays, people without jesus in their hearts, and poor people. Pretty much nobody can get near it.

Krisken

Krisken

Good. Now we're all being equally absurd.

makare

To recap- Ricky Perry sucks, everything's bigger in Texas including homophobia, and douchiness knows no faith based limitations.

Necronic

Necronic

Actually Texas isn't that homophobic. You have Austin, called "the San Fransisco of the South", and then you have Montrose, in Houston, one of the biggest gay neighborhoods in the US, in the only city of it's size with an openly gay (lesbian) Mayor.

I will agree that most other things are bigger in Texas, including stereotypes. Anyone else find anything ironic with the statement "I can't stand [large diverse group], there are all prejudiced".

Derp.

makare

That was actually just me picking on Gas. there are homophobes everywhere. Even my beloved Sodak has had some of the most horrible incidents.

Necronic

Necronic

You're from South Dakota and you are criticizing Texas for mistreating a minority?

:hugecripes:

makare

um no? i am pretty sure I just established I was just joking.

Necronic

Necronic

Ah, ok. Crap I sould probably read more of the threads and get context before I hit reply.

Krisken

Krisken

Ah, ok. Crap I sould probably read more of the threads and get context before I hit reply.
lol, ya think?

GasBandit

GasBandit

That was actually just me picking on Gas. there are homophobes everywhere. Even my beloved Sodak has had some of the most horrible incidents.
Nuh uh. We all know that up there, all you yankees have the gay sex right out on the street just as a replacement for handshakes. It's well established by our Texas Scienticians that The Gay spreads from any kind of sexual contact, even a hug where you DON'T hit the other guy's back at least twice... so by now pretty much all of you undoubtedly have been converted. It's just simple math.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It's just simple math.
For you Texans, it would have to be.

What? Isn't this what we're doing now?

GasBandit

GasBandit

For you Texans, it would have to be.

What? Isn't this what we're doing now?
What do you mean, "now?"

makare

texas is a big state. it can take it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

texas is a big state. it can take it.
Just not in the butt.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

What do you mean, "now?"
We're in now, now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We're in now, now.
So when will then be now?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Don't you have some Mexicans to harass execute first?
Fixed.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I figured as much. He's hating his way into irrelevancy now. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit.
No, no, no, you got that backwards... he's stupided his way to irrelevancy and is now using hate to stay in the news for a few weeks more... that and err... that 3rd thing.

Covar

Covar

Anyone else find anything ironic with the statement "I can't stand [large diverse group], there are all prejudiced".

Derp.
Yes, ever since high school. When I shit you not I was once told "I would never want to talk or be friends with them. They're too cliquish."

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yogi Berra was the master at this. "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

bhamv3

bhamv3

@Li3n

@Li3n

Although in all honesty... Screw the Dutch!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Dutch Hater!

Krisken

Krisken

Damn it, how did I miss this? C'mon DA, we all know Texas prefers to execute the mentally retarded.